If you could change anything about shops in Aetolia, what would it be?

2»

Comments

• I love shopkeeping, but I would love the chance to expand on it, like you can a house. I know you can add shops to houses and have them not be profitable, but that takes away some of the fun, selling stuff, trying new things and all that. I've got a shop and a tavern, and my ideal would've had them connected.
    Pilar
  • DraimanDraiman Dr. Drai
    If I could change anything about shops I would make it to where you automatically forfeited your shop after 1 week of it no longer carrying items that it says it carries when you check the directory. >.>
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

Erzsebet
  • If I could change anything about shops, it would be limiting how many shops a single player can own. As it stands between Bloodloch and Spinesreach, a few people have anywhere from 2-4 shops each. Add in Esterport and some people have 3-5 shops.

Letting a single person own multiple shops stops people who want to be a shop owner from owning a shop, let alone even letting a new person TRY shopkeeping.

And for all you crafters who would get upset about this: Stop crafting 500 pairs of bras/panties as if their going out of style. Cycle through your designs.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

AtrapoemaVaskarErzsebetFezzixAnikoFaerah
  • I gotta say, I don't think it's the number of shops people can own as much as it's the cost in city. Buying shops in city is -incredibly- expensive.

That said, I got my tavern for only 15k in esterport, so those shops are clearly the way to go.
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    @Zsadist It has been argued plenty of times. Even with suggestions attached where a position is made in guilds for a quartermaster, so Orgs can own a shop and have the person with the that title can run it. That way the argument "But some of them are owned by guild/city/order" becomes moot. The owner would be the org, not the person, so one could easily tell how many each individual owns. I don't think it's gotten much attention though.

• JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    Cheaper and more abundant shops would go a long way to creating a competitive marketplace with actual selections and stock
    Xandren
  • TragerTrager Raiding your underwear drawer.
    Jensen said:

Cheaper and more abundant shops would go a long way to creating a competitive marketplace with actual selections and stock

I'm not sure how much I agree with that statement, to be honest. We already don't have much of an economy to speak of as it is with the shops we have. Need slices? DIRECTORY (slice) and you see seven shops that have them all for the same price. Where the exclusivity of it comes in is with clothing/rp design items. I'll be completely honest - I have rarely if ever bought clothing from a shop simply because their designs are entirely too far out there for me to be interested in (black pants with purple flames, anyone?). 9.99/10 I order something custom from a tailor and get exactly what I want for gold that is nothing more than a pittance.

tl;dr - More shops, more curatives that aren't needed, more off the wall designs x1000 = .. nothing productive, in my opinion.

Random thought: It's easy for people to say, "Oh man, if only -I- could have a shop." But we've seen too many times that people -don't- want to write sixty different designs, or go pick/slice/brew every other day. You want shops, but you honestly wouldn't do much more with them than anyone else already does, unless you're in it for the roleplay factor.
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's go-... Oh.

VaskarFezzix
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Sometimes I don't buy clothes because the stuff just isn't out there enough. DERELIQUE
    Draiman
  • DraimanDraiman Dr. Drai
    YOU CAN DERELIQUE MY
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

I think you'd see more diversity in goods since players wouldn't get turned off by the super high investment cost.  Sure you'd probably get an influx of curatives but you'd also see single craft skill shops like Taylor's, bars, smokeshops, smithys, kitchens, ect... pop up due to a lower bar for entry
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    edited August 2016
    Honestly, I run a couple org-owned shops, and if they'd just let the shelf artifact stack with other shelf artifacts (or add additional levels, or up the base number of items, or...something, anything that accomplishes more designs in a single shop) I'd have no objections shelling out the credits for additional artifact shelves/w/e and consolidating.

ETA: Also, unrelated, the issue with single-craft shops is that they don't really make enough gold to cover the taxes. At least not consistently.
    imageimage
    Erzsebet said:
    Honestly, I run a couple org-owned shops, and if they'd just let the shelf artifact stack with other shelf artifacts (or add additional levels, or up the base number of items, or...something, anything that accomplishes more designs in a single shop) I'd have no objections shelling out the credits for additional artifact shelves/w/e and consolidating. ETA: Also, unrelated, the issue with single-craft shops is that they don't really make enough gold to cover the taxes. At least not consistently.
    More shops in theory reduces the tax burden.  A city would earn the same charging 10 shops 3k as 30 shops 1k (I'm aware neither of those numbers are representative)
  • How many pairs of pants / shirts do I need? Until my crafted clothing decays because I'm fighting shit all the time I buy 1 clothing item like every two months...
  • Another one! I would love if paper were cacheable, even if only in a shop. Yeah, you can put it on the storeroom floor, but it adds up when you use paper for a lot of crafting designs for sale and defeats the purpose of the crafting shelf anyway.
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    edited August 2016
    I would buy the hell out of an artifact that would hold non-cacheable commodities on the floor that are usable in the designs and don't count towards the floor count without having them decay.

For that matter, one that makes the items you put in it change into a copy so they don't return would also be amazing. Have so many cool mithril and nautilite designs that can't be crafting shelved because there's no source for those that doesn't respawn. Alternatively--sources for that that you can just buy? Or make it cacheable? Something.
    imageimage
    RasaniAisling
  • Erzsebet said:

I would buy the hell out of an artifact that would hold non-cacheable commodities on the floor that are usable in the designs and don't count towards the floor count without having them decay.

For that matter, one that makes the items you put in it change into a copy so they don't return would also be amazing. Have so many cool mithril and nautilite designs that can't be crafting shelved because there's no source for those that doesn't respawn. Alternatively--sources for that that you can just buy? Or make it cacheable? Something.

I feel that. I have a lot of neat designs that I'll never be able to sell on a crafting shelf because of nautilite.
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    And pearls.
    Erzsebet