Newbie Q&A

Comments

• Lillium said:

Sorry to bother everyone again but I have another question and I'm not sure if editing the above post would show it as a new question or not so here goes.

Scidve has an archeologist that wants me to turn over a ceremonial dagger to Trabarg of Enorian off Hwenua court. Thing is, I can't seem to find the court, much less Trabarg. Considering they're meant to be a tutor I thought they would be rather easy to find but it's proven difficult. I did notice that someone said the Enorian academy had to be changed so I was wondering if this was because something changed that would make Trabarg either moved or renamed or redundant or something.

Just generally confused and the item itself seems to disappear before I can find them. I was just trying to find out more about Scidve and thought maybe this could help.

Not too important, just curious.

Trabarg is dead, unfortunately, so this is just a quest that likely needs to either be edited or removed. He died in the blowing up of old Enorian.
    Malok
  • Can you get by in this game with just rp?
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Probably! There definitely are people who do nothing but. Probably WILL eventually find some other activities distracting or compelling.
    MiandarEmelle
  • What guilds are rp heavy? Are guilds a staple to life in aetolia?
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Probably depends on the guild and who you latch on to. Not everyone plays the game the exact same way.
    Miandar
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    I think most guilds focus on some modicum of Roleplay, they will definitely be helpful but are not inherently a requirement, and it depends on the sort of Roleplay you are looking for, I think there are opportunities for many diverse types of roleplay just depending on -what- you are looking for.
    MiandarEmelle
  • I'm very unfamiliar with what aetolia offers, sorry.
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    I may be a little slow (lot of alt tabbing with notepad and things), but I try to be pretty attentive to guild members. If there are specific things you are looking for, just let me know. Otherwise I'll be sure to check in on you.
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    I would advise reading through HELP GUILDS - then subsequently HELP (Guildname) to perhaps get some examples of what each individual guild represents, if you have questions on specifics or need clarification give an ask here and we are all more than happy to give you feedback as need be.

I could list my knowledge based on what I know, but perhaps finding what appeals to you then going further once you have an idea at least will be best for helping :D
  • Miandar said:

What guilds are rp heavy? Are guilds a staple to life in aetolia?

Most guilds have people who are heavily into RP. In the Teradrim, that's definitely me. I love Teradrim RP so much I roleplay with myself and emote at guild mobs. The Carnifex are very active, decently populated, and full of roleplayers, or at least they were. I don't know much about the Spirit side of the game, because I've played Shadow (aka "bad guy") for pretty much the entire game's history.
  • TrigruTrigru the Bumberton's Delight
    Though having a strong RP-oriented guild is a plus, I would recommend choosing a guild whose motif and class complement the sort of character you want to play - a Sentinel or a Shaman for some of that down-to-earth tribalism, or maybe a Carnifex/Templar for a knightly sort. Your RP circle will most likely consist of your side's tether (cities of Enorian/Duiran vs. cities of Bloodloch/Spinesreach), though obviously that's not a hard set rule!
    AarbrokEmelleVeovisTeani
  • Hello! I've just started out in the game and am thoroughly enjoying it so far. One of the major draws for me was the emphasis on role play. In that vein, I've been spending a lot of time in the Duiran library to try and get an idea of history for Aetolia. In the interest of character development, I was wondering if there were some out of game historical resources I could read up on in my free time.

I'm particularly interested at the moment in events occurring or influencing the last eighteen game years that Synne would have been aware of. I will continue to search the forums for information but if someone could give some helpful links it would be much appreciated.

Also, are the library books available offline?

Thanks!
  • HadrakHadrak Dorohedoro
    edited September 2015
    Synne said:

Hello! I've just started out in the game and am thoroughly enjoying it so far. I'm particularly interested at the moment in events occurring or influencing the last eighteen game years that Synne would have been aware of. I will continue to search the forums for information but if someone could give some helpful links it would be much appreciated.

Welcome to Aetolia, Synne! I'm glad you're enjoying the game. You'll want to read the in-game newsboard under the Events header as we try to keep major events well-documented there that would be common knowledge for the vast majority of players. You'll want to read HELP NEWS for the relevant commands and such. As for out of game historical resources and general information, we're woefully not up to date on our wiki, so I'm afraid I can't guide you anywhere else that would be a plethora of lore for you to dig your teeth into.

To address your final question, the books stored in the game's libraries are not available offline, I'm afraid.

Aarbrok
  • Ah, ok. I figured it was a long shot anyway. I'm usually pretty good at finding these things for myself but I was coming up woefully short. Thanks for the prompt response!
    Synne said:

Ah, ok. I figured it was a long shot anyway. I'm usually pretty good at finding these things for myself but I was coming up woefully short. Thanks for the prompt response!

And just to add to my previous post, I've found that SEARCHNEWS can be pretty helpful if you wanna find specific information. i.e. SEARCHNEWS EVENTS DUIRAN will give you any posts in the Events newsboard that will reference Duiran. Helpfiles as well tend to hold some information that was not recorded by players.

• Honestly, I'd read the forum section for roleplay logs. 90% of it's personal but you're going to find a lot of great first-hand accounts of major events there.

Alternatively: Ask your peers in-game what happened in the past. It's a great RP opportunity.
    Hadrak
    Anfini said:

Alternatively: Ask your peers in-game what happened in the past. It's a great RP opportunity.

I do wish more people would ask for accounts of things ICly. They lead to some pretty amazing stuff like Anfini's said and might even help frame your worldview for your character through the teachings of their elders or peers.

• Yeah I totally forgot how to make money in this game beyond killing vermin. Anyone have any tips?
  • Quests primarily. And killing stuff.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

Emelle
  • I'm a bit confused about group hunting, does exp not share with those in your group? Or does it only go to those that get the killing hit?

(Illuminai): Saltz says, "Moxie is just doing the Moxie thing to do, often misinterpreted."

(Tells): Sir Iames Gallant, the Executioner tells you, "The one Illuminai beyond prayer, I swear."

Valingar: "How could a daughter of me, the most noble man in the south, be so heartless?"

(Tells): Haven Locke, Illuminai Khimaira tells you, "Be that as it may, I've also seen the strength in you. You can take care of yourself."
  • Moxie said:

I'm a bit confused about group hunting, does exp not share with those in your group? Or does it only go to those that get the killing hit?

It's shared with everyone following you. For pk, unless you're in ylem aura, killing blow is the only one who gets xp.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• Toz said:

Moxie said:

I'm a bit confused about group hunting, does exp not share with those in your group? Or does it only go to those that get the killing hit?

It's shared with everyone following you. For pk, unless you're in ylem aura, killing blow is the only one who gets xp.
    I had a templar hunting Mor with me in my group, It did not seem to be sharing exp when we were both killing the same thing. At least it didn't look like it. The one that got the killing blow got the exp, I don't know if that had to do with the templar/luminary relationship or if that is how the game's group exp worked.

(Illuminai): Saltz says, "Moxie is just doing the Moxie thing to do, often misinterpreted."

(Tells): Sir Iames Gallant, the Executioner tells you, "The one Illuminai beyond prayer, I swear."

Valingar: "How could a daughter of me, the most noble man in the south, be so heartless?"

(Tells): Haven Locke, Illuminai Khimaira tells you, "Be that as it may, I've also seen the strength in you. You can take care of yourself."
  • You have to be in the same Web as your group. Otherwise, you're not really party hunting.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

• MoxieMoxie USA
    edited February 2016
    Zsadist said:
    You have to be in the same Web as your group. Otherwise, you're not really party hunting.
    Can you explain webs? I'm from a different IRE game, and usually just following someone and at least getting a hit in or two splits the exp.

Edit: NVM. Just looked up the help file. It's like achaea's party system.

• SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    Squads in Lusternia, Rings in Imperian, Parties in Achaea.

• LelacLelac Houston, TX
    So, any of you with social/general anxiety, how do you deal with it to be able to do things in this game? It's really rough for me, as a lot of what I need to do requires me to interact with people. I know it took me a long time to do some things because they required me to send Tells to people out of the blue and that terrified me. I spend most of my time hiding somewhere in Spinesreach because the thought of being in the social spot is also terrifying for me.
    Nia
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    edited August 2016
    @Lelac Make sure you take things in your own time. There is no need to rush interaction, even though it might feel like it to get somewhere. Here are some things you could consider:

- If you are in a Guild, work your way through GHELP at your own pace. It's mostly a lot of reading, and it helps you get used to the game as a whole.

- Do the non-interactive things first. There's no need to push yourself into doing what you are uncomfortable with. Some people play this game mostly to kill things, some just to wander around. No pressure. No one is forcing you to play it in any certain way. Go bashing. Explore areas.

- If someone speaks to you and you get a panic attack, leave it be for now. People will not hate you for ignoring them. If you fear people spontaneously approaching you might set another attack off, use the command TELLS OFF and people will not be able to send tells to you until you use TELLS ON again.

- If you're having a good day, simply stand in a room where others might be walking by or stopping to chat, but don't feel forced to actually interact back. There are a lot of people who idle in the game and people know real life can happen to pull anyone away or make them unable to respond.

When/if you eventually feel like reaching out to people, do it on your own conditions.

NiaLelacEmelle
  • The biggest thing that helped me when I first started was just knowing that I could get up and walk away at any time to take a breather if I had to.. It's not like a face-to-face interaction where that's awkward as fuck. You can just tell them "//back in a few" and say you're doing laundry, getting a drink, got a phone call, whatever. Get up, walk around for a minute, get a drink, think about what you'll say, sit back down. Really helps take the pressure out of interactions.

Sure, you can't do this every single time you're asked a question without it being awkward, but I found that just having that option made things a lot less stressful.
    DidiNiaLelacIshin
  • NiaNia Trashy
    edited August 2016
    Adding on to what the others replied, @Lelac: I'd like to believe that everyone will always be understanding, but sometimes people aren't. I've been in situations where they aren't. I find that it helps, at least when you've reached that point, to be open and honest — as you already have done by posting here. Kudos!

There was one person who consistently pestered/cornered me via OOC tells and then got uppity with me for not responding. First of all, I reserved the right to ignore them, i.e., to just not reply when I didn't feel like it, no matter how much they felt entitled to my attention. Eventually, I then calmly said: 'I'm sorry that I sometimes don't reply; the truth is I'm a very private person, OOCly, and I'm often uncomfortable with excess OOC communication. I am easily prone to stress, and if I don't reply, it doesn't mean I'm trying to be passive aggressive (which they accused me of) — it just means I don't feel equipped to handle this at the moment.' Eventually they got the message, but if they don't, that's what SNUB IGNORE is for. (I'm new to Aetolia but not to IREs. Do we have snub here, actually?) EDIT: Thanks for the correction, @Zaila and @Draiman!

Always remember to take care of yourself, first and foremost, and that you don't owe anyone on the internet scheisse. RL B4 OL. This is a game, and if it's causing you stress or harming your mental health rather than relaxing you and bringing you enjoyment, then something here is wrong.

Finally, given the nature of your question, I can't tell if you're just new to Aetolia or to RP in general, but if it's the former: one thing that tremendously helps me, as a lifelong roleplayer and theatre-geek, is that when I get stressed... I look back on my history of characters and I try to 'RP'. It helps IRL, too! Before a job interview or a first date, I ask myself, 'How would that sexy, confident, kickass character I played back in 2012 deal with this situation?' And then I try to focus on that character's head-space, rather than whatever crazy shenanigans are going on in mine. Remind yourself in RP that the social situations you face aren't real, that your character isn't you, and that here, in Aetolia, you are free to be whoever you want to be.

Good luck!
    DidiLelacDraimanFezzixZailaEmelle
  • ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    @nia re: SNUB - I think you're referring to IGNORE here in aetolia.
    Nia