Crafting Ideas

Comments

• AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    edited May 2015
    You may not think you do anything wrong, but your a pinky-out, snotty, holier than thou attitude when it comes to crafting is generally the reason alot of people dont want to do it. So take a look at yourself, not as this being an attack but perhaps being an eye opening experience to the fact that -you- are not a victim to someone finally speaking up against your unicorns-y attitude, but perhaps for a reason to work with the community in a constructive manner instead of alienate yourself.

EDIT: Forgot commas, god forbid.

As for the Changelog thing I do agree with you, but generally the discourse was everyone against you in the Crafters guild clan telling you that it is wrong, while sometimes you may be right, when a majority of people stand up to make a point, with good faith that it is correct, you can be a bit more flexible and understanding. I am not mad at you as an individual or person as much as I am disenchanted with the way you can come off to others who are not as proficient in crafting. I think sometimes it would do better if you would explain yourself rather than say, "I disagree with it, even if its right you aren't getting my approval because I dont agree" - That kind of behavior is childish and makes your credibility less than desireable.

I want you to understand that if you are going to take the stance you are as someone who A: Has a greater vote weight in crafting, B: someone crafters should look up to for advice. Then maybe act accordingly, because its really childish and immature for a grown woman to have such fussy discourse towards other grown people that and that is incredibly unnecessesary.
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    I'd like to point out, first of all, that I'm not required to approve anything. At all. Ever. I do, and I do so at a ratio that is much higher than what I take from the system despite my tendency towards prolific crafting, without compensation of any kind. I am at least part, though certainly not the only part, of people getting their designs back in a reasonably timely fashion. If I'm responsible for people making the choice to not craft, that's on the crafter in question, because I don't purposely reject things that aren't incorrect. I haven't done anything wrong, and I -do- work with the community in a constructive manner.

That the majority says something doesn't make it right. It doesn't always make them wrong, but frankly, I'm not wrong til the ruling therein is made stating otherwise. It -was- stated as having been fine before. Multiple times. On my own items and others.

I have no problems with people who aren't as proficient in crafting--frankly, I'm not perfect either. I'm not in the habit of bitching people out for errant commas or errors. I'm in the habit of asking if they're available, and rejecting with what the problem is if they're not available. I typically -do- explain why I disagree with a given thing. And as aforementioned, I'm not required to approve anything at all, I disagree that it's childish to avoid putting my personal approval on something I don't approve of.
    imageimage
  • edited May 2015

Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
    AarbrokSakylLimDidi
  • I'm going to nip this in the bud right now. You both know better than to be bickering like this here. Cut it out.
    Dristin
    This is sort've tangentially related to crafting, but it would be -really- helpful if we could get an accurate count of how many things/designs we have stocked in a given shop? It shows at the end of the wares list (as: You can see 862 item(s) being sold in this location.) , but the number it gives isn't ever correct--or, rather, isn't parsed as correct? May be a bug, I guess, but I just counted, manually and came up with the same number, but the shop output is still eating things when it comes to the directory?

Was my original understanding that it only did that if you were over your shop limit? But I have a level 3 shelf in the shop in question, so if I only have 862 items, it shouldn't be eating things as far as wares go?
    imageimage
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Erzsebet said:

This is sort've tangentially related to crafting, but it would be -really- helpful if we could get an accurate count of how many things/designs we have stocked in a given shop? It shows at the end of the wares list (as: You can see 862 item(s) being sold in this location.) , but the number it gives isn't ever correct--or, rather, isn't parsed as correct? May be a bug, I guess, but I just counted, manually and came up with the same number, but the shop output is still eating things when it comes to the directory?

Was my original understanding that it only did that if you were over your shop limit? But I have a level 3 shelf in the shop in question, so if I only have 862 items, it shouldn't be eating things as far as wares go?

I'm a little bit uncertain of what you mean, but I know enough to start investigating. I'll get with you if everything looks clean and I'm not sure where to continue digging.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    Haven
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    edited May 2015
    Alright I have a few thoughts here I don't know if I've shared before but I'll try to blurt them out coherently.

I think Aetolia REALLY suffers creatively from the fact that designs can just PERISH when a player goes inactive/can't pay the costs. There's got to be TONS of stuff out there in the void that could be contributing the games general level of culture/design choice simply because someone lapsed on fees/never came back.

I think that either there should be a way for crafters returning from inactivity to buy back lapsed designs AND/OR a way for designs that are allowed to expire too long would pass into the public domain, so that there would be a pool of commonly craftable designs available to anyone interested in taking up a tradeskill.

I think the current system lends itself a bit too much to exclusivity. There should be encouragement to SHARE designs rather than keep them locked up to yourself/be deleted when you're tired of them or don't find personal use any more. Other ideas include making design upkeep cheaper for guild/city designs or possibly even FREE if the design is made available to the game at large.

Alternate random thought: A systems where public designs could incur a small usage fee paid to the original designer as a part of the commodity cost with a small goldsink attached.

edit obviously you could still delete designs you wanted private or designs in a workbook would never be subject to these things etc etc
    ArekaErzsebetXeniaTenshyo
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    I would transfer more designs to orgs if

a) I could still access them through design tags (EX: transfer uniforms to the guild and still be able to massproduce a package with them and some personal designs/everything as a guild design and still massproduce a package)

b) If designs would automatically revert back to me, the designer, if some future CL/GM decided they didn't want them and went to delete it.
    Also if everyone that has access couldn't steal them.

So. Sunsilk. Says in the desc that it's used for light armour. Asked Becue how Aet would define light armour and was told that sunsilk isn't used for armour? So....what gives with the desc saying it is?
    imageimage
    Looks like the wrong extdesc was snagged from the list and that's an easy enough fix? We had special and non-special varieties of each mat.
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Can confirm, I'm a doofus.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    Confused. The NPC only has one of each type of shiny for sale and nothing similar to each type. Unless the not-special version is sold elsewhere? Or...something? Am not following what you mean.

Unrelated, being able to search by tags of designs you don't own but are allowed access to would be spiffy.

So would being able to search multiple tags. e.g. 'newd list blue dress'

So would being able to search by lack of tags. My tags are largely incomplete because it's hard to tell which are complete and which aren't without going through -every single design-.
    imageimage
    We paid for the shop. We proposed special and non-special variations of each material which Admin could then decide which to use. They chose the non-special but just snagged the wrong examined. Not a big deal.
    Oh. Following now. Though I don't know what the point of it is if it can't be used in armour stuff.

imageimage
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Erzsebet said:

Oh. Following now. Though I don't know what the point of it is if it can't be used in armour stuff.

IT RUBS THE SUNSILK ON ITS SKIN
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Erzsebet said:

Same reason for your jewels? It's something new and pretty, and a local ware for Enorian.
    Meant that you could conceivably accomplish the same thing with metal/cloth comm. Shrug.
    imageimage
  • No promises, as usual, but just going to do a bump in general to see if there are any new ideas floating around out there.
    - I would love it if my gnome could also be a still for brewing.
    - I would love it if shop logs extended past 7 days, in lieu of the new log limits.
    - I would love a way to toggle on hints in shops (like if you walk in and there's forging shelves: [HINT]: There are forging shelves here. You can re-customize forged goods with BUY (design) ON (item).) - either turn them on for your location as the shopowner, or toggle on whether or not you see them.
    - I feel like glasses (base 15140) should have a 5 sip threshold instead of 10.
    - To be able to TRANSCRIBE (book1) TO (blank book2) IN (language) to make a copy of a book that you have written.
    --> Libraries make it possible to copy books, but the custom appearances of crafted books gets lost
    --> Trying to copy a book for someone so you have the RP of the aesthetics can be really painful, especially with a multi-page document.
    - Alternative packaging options for crafting gnome's MASSPRODUCE (http://pastebin.com/nG3p2Zvi)
    - Forging is still in need of a ylem bonus thing, like Concoctions' Vigour, Venom's Ouabian, and Enchanting's elementals.

Is the signmaker back in Esterport yet?

• Areka said:

Is the signmaker back in Esterport yet?

Do you remember the Delos signmakers name? I can look into this.
    I don't, no. :( Was going to see about putting a sign up in the Esterport shop to help people know they can use forging shelves and how
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I remember it was like right inside the west gates and like IN or something
  • Aishia said:

I remember it was like right inside the west gates and like IN or something

That is actually super helpful, thank you. I couldn't remember where he was right off hand.
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    edited August 2015
    Morty, the Sign Maker - That was his name!
    @Dristin
  • The NEWD LIST output wraps at 72 characters, and cuts off a lot of designs before I can figure out what they are. Isn't 72 a little short now a days, considering score, stat, and so forth start wrapping at 80?

Or rather, can I get something like this?

Current:
    Design# Appearance Status Owner Months ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 6987 a jade and silver armor rin... Approved Reux Perm

New Idea NEWD LIST
    [UNPAID|DRAFT|APPROVED|SUBMITTED|REJECTED|EXPIRED] $ - + ~ x X U D A S R E S Design ID Appearance Owner Weeks -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- E 6987 incense holder an incense holder that's lo... TwentyCharactersInLe -50 A 23387 rug a throw rug of rajalama fur Bloodloch 123 A 424003 weaponbelt a very plain weaponbelt Reux Perm
    I mean, you know, an amount.

TeaniMariena
    edited November 2015
    Would say only bother with the owner line if it's an access design command (I.E. newd list access). Just newd list doesn't -show- other people's designs, so it's an obvious given that all of them are mine. Space could be used for more of the appearance.
    imageimage
    Reux
  • edited August 2016
    Mm. Thread necromancy.

Can we please extend the time on hookahs? They go out so terribly quickly. Maybe make it have a set amount of puffs, or like, quadruple their current timer?

It would also be nice to be able to PROBE a hookah and be able to tell if it is on and what blend is inside it, if any.
    XeniaFeirenzFezzix
  • Can we also have a bass or double bass template for luthiers? I realize bass guitars are modern (1930s) but the actual bass/double bass has origins in the 1500s-1600s.
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I could have sworn I posted this before, but now I can't find the post anywhere. Could we please see a change in format for the DESIGN LIST? My suggestion is to make it look something like this instead:

Or some kind of compromise. Either the space for the appearance line needs to become longer, so one can clearly make out what it is, or there needs to be a column for the main alias of the item. I know you can do DESIGN LIST , but sometimes you have other tags and the shortened appearance line means you can't always tell what the item is.

Erzsebet
    You mean you don't have all your design sdescs memorized?

Seriously though, this'd be spiffy.
    imageimage