Sect of Blades Problems

2»

Comments

• Xenia said:

What I mean to say is the resources to understand the combat system in Aetolia are openly available to everyone, we just don't all have the same amount of time/mental energy to learn the system.

Wait. Really? The mechanics are laid fairly bare here somewhere? Where? I have to see this, since I am maybe back over here for awhile. This is unprecedented in an IRE game if I am understanding you right. And hell yeah that would be useful. I always hate having to ask people so many questions. If I could just sit down and read a manual that would be amazing. I'd still have questions, but not as many of them would be so stupid and basic. It's basically like... one of the very things I have always wanted.
  • Well, I guess I would start at reading all the AB files of the classes, as well as the AFFLICTION LIST affs.

I mean I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or if you didn't realize how dense the help files are!

Jules
  • edited July 2016
    Going to look around. Not being sarcastic. Most of the games are better about giving more solid, usable info than they used to be, but there is still a bit of a holdover from the days of "find absolutely everything out for yourself. Here, enjoy this vague and intentionally misleading help file". Plus, it's legitimately hard to provide good documentation.

EDIT: And hrm, I have read all of Carni's, and some of the guild stuff, though I definitely don't have them memorized, and lots of random ones if I can figure out the name of the ability when people are chatting on ring web. But anyway, I will poke around some more. I hadn't got to the affs files. Super useful stuff to know is always like, what can be comboed, what goes through rebounding or shield, etc... which attacks are basically useless or extremely situational.
  • @Jules it's a lot of information to take in all at once. The best thing is to learn as you go, I think. In your case, focus on understanding a basic Carni combo and then expanding from there. You'll of course be hitting one wall after another, but this is to be expected as you attempt to learn the information and incorporate it into your knowledge and approach to fighting.

• Somewhat random note here @Jules, but bear in mind that if you're taking a look at AB files and find anything that's misleading or hard to understand, you can always shoot Keroc (or really any other admin you see about) a message to have the AB potentially updated. There's been a push to keep things as updated and transparent as possible insofar as the abilities and learning them are concerned, so we'll absolutely welcome any suggestions you may have in that regard.
    Jules
  • CorynCoryn Spokane, Wa
    In my Imperian and Lusternia days, I'd just make alts of each class and read each guild/house helpfile I could. Copy it all down and figure things out from there. Mainly because you couldn't look at full AB files of other classes unless you were that class.

In Achaea, it was the same thing, but I had switched class so much that I knew most of the classes to the point that it wasn't needed to make alts.
  • I think I got my hopes up a bit high. I am seeing fairly typical modern AB files and such. They're miles upon miles better than in the old days, but you still can't really go read up and be able to avoid asking a bunch of pretty basic questions. It is what it is. The good news is that I did ask a few of those questions when I was last around, and I have all of that logged, so at least I won't have to ask again.
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Jules said:
    I think I got my hopes up a bit high. I am seeing fairly typical modern AB files and such. They're miles upon miles better than in the old days, but you still can't really go read up and be able to avoid asking a bunch of pretty basic questions. It is what it is. The good news is that I did ask a few of those questions when I was last around, and I have all of that logged, so at least I won't have to ask again.
    There's also the short combat thread as well which jas nuggets of information from various players over the years.

What are you currently struggling with though specifically? I think if we knew what you were looking for we might be better able to help you or at least point you to the help files you'll need.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • edited July 2016
    Right now I'm just sorting out basic group Carni. Looking at these notes I should be off to a decent start. I'll sort target rebounding and shields. I will use hammerthrow if rebounding is up, and hammer doublebash if it's down. Might have to ask when/if they want me to help raze for that reason, or if I should just use the appropriate hammer attack. I'd guess they might say I should raze shields, but maybe not bother with rebounding, since the hammerthrow thing bounces off of shield I think. But we'll see. I have a few notes on bardiche, too and I'll probably see if that's going to be relevant for what we might be doing. I'll set up something so I know what defs I am missing, and have one alias for "got to have it", and another for "put this back when I can", and maybe yet another for "put this up sometimes, but god I miss being able to just have alertness up all of the time" etc... I should be able to get that far without too much trouble (especially because the coding piece is lower level and has been painstakingly taught to me already).

My original response was just sort of... really, really good PK-ers tend to make these breezy statements about the "path to greatness" sometimes. Then, I was reading Xenia's comment and then it sounded almost like you guys had a near game manual, and I got a little bit excited.
    Haven
  • DraimanDraiman Dr. Drai
    Hey @Keroc, here's an actual problem with Sect if you could fix pls. Could you just make it to where while in the arena whoever else is in there is considered an enemy. Varel is my buddy and I hate having to enemy him (or remembering to unally/enemy). >.>
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

MazarineVarelXeniaFezzix
  • KerocKeroc A small cupboardAdministrator, Immortal
    Draiman said:

Hey @Keroc, here's an actual problem with Sect if you could fix pls. Could you just make it to where while in the arena whoever else is in there is considered an enemy. Varel is my buddy and I hate having to enemy him (or remembering to unally/enemy). >.>

It would hurt abilities like Changeheart.
  • Just do two sets of lists. When you are in the arena you use arena enemies/allies, and when you are out you use normal ones.

Imperian does something like that to avoid the "I'm in an FFA, better unally all of my allies and enemy them after unenemying all of my actual enemies to make room to enemy my allies" type of bullshit.
    Trager
    Do Cabalists even exist anymore? :(

• No. Last person to play Cabalist was Trikal... and that was months ago... long before he quit.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

• KerocKeroc A small cupboardAdministrator, Immortal
    Vaskar said:

Just do two sets of lists. When you are in the arena you use arena enemies/allies, and when you are out you use normal ones.

Imperian does something like that to avoid the "I'm in an FFA, better unally all of my allies and enemy them after unenemying all of my actual enemies to make room to enemy my allies" type of unicorns.

Yeah, this would be better.
  • Jules said:

Right now I'm just sorting out basic group Carni. Looking at these notes I should be off to a decent start. I'll sort target rebounding and shields. I will use hammerthrow if rebounding is up, and hammer doublebash if it's down. Might have to ask when/if they want me to help raze for that reason, or if I should just use the appropriate hammer attack. I'd guess they might say I should raze shields, but maybe not bother with rebounding, since the hammerthrow thing bounces off of shield I think. But we'll see. I have a few notes on bardiche, too and I'll probably see if that's going to be relevant for what we might be doing. I'll set up something so I know what defs I am missing, and have one alias for "got to have it", and another for "put this back when I can", and maybe yet another for "put this up sometimes, but god I miss being able to just have alertness up all of the time" etc... I should be able to get that far without too much trouble (especially because the coding piece is lower level and has been painstakingly taught to me already).

My original response was just sort of... really, really good PK-ers tend to make these breezy statements about the "path to greatness" sometimes. Then, I was reading Xenia's comment and then it sounded almost like you guys had a near game manual, and I got a little bit excited.

Don't use warhammer. Unless you're going to spam hook/crush, it's not worth it. I wrote a report for it but forgot to actually press submit. :/

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Jules
    Hook/crush very balanced

• But but... your name is apparently "The Hammer". Apparently it's only good for crushing dreams.

Alright, I will look at that though. That is the other hard part sometimes. People have different ideas about what is best in blah scenario. One or two of them might be right. One of them is probably most right (the best kind of right).
  • Jules said:

But but... your name is apparently "The Hammer". Apparently it's only good for crushing dreams.

Alright, I will look at that though. That is the other hard part sometimes. People have different ideas about what is best in blah scenario. One or two of them might be right. One of them is probably most right (the best kind of right).

I've not been the Hammer in a long time! Seriously though, if you run Mudlet download CATS and have a look. You don't have to run it yourself, but it's a pretty typical Carnifex halberd offense.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Jules
  • Keroc said:

Draiman said:

It would hurt abilities like Changeheart.
    Changeheart is useless in sect, it's too slow to really use it unless someone isn't paying attention enough to re-enemy you, and the summoning doesn't work ever since Draiman and I fixed that after Grawthorg.
    Draiman