That Other Video Game Thread

Comments

• who's got two thumbs and has had the season pass for fallout 4 since hours after the release of the game? (I went out and bought it at friggen midnight, because I LIKE fallout 4) THIS GUY! *points both thumbs at himself*

The rushing sound of waves breaking upon a shore fills your mind as Slyphe imparts to you, "Meltas is a bit..special sometimes..."
  • @Xandren looking like there'll be some Point Lookout tier shenanigans going on in this one, should be a good time.

• edited May 2016
    yup, @Xavin and as another mildly annoying plug, I actually stream Fallout 4 on Mondays. I DO have a mature filter on because my other non-Xbone streams (I don't have a mic for my xbone, nor does my room support a mic with its..echoing problems amongst other issues) my Laptop does, and it involves a lot of swearing for some of my other games (I'm looking at Alien Isolation on my Steam list >.>) and I'd say that you might end up closing out the Twitch Chat too... but if anyone wants to take a peek in at me streaming, feel free to poke me, I'll gladly link ya my Twitch page. (I'm playing Alien Isolation tomorrow afternoon actually! It'll hopefully be at 19:30 GMT, pending anything that might occur to delay.)
    The rushing sound of waves breaking upon a shore fills your mind as Slyphe imparts to you, "Meltas is a bit..special sometimes..."
  • DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn
    I like Fallout 4. That game is fun. I also wish more people played it on Twitch. Because nobody does. I watched one guy talk on the phone while he just sat in the game doing nothing for about 20 minutes. That was fun.
  • HadrakHadrak Dorohedoro

Now I just need my Lizardmen and I will be complete for Warhams.

• JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    I guess they won't fall victim to boring/limited unit types as they did in empire and shogun 2
  • Psh. No Skaven, no <3.
    Now with 253% more Madness.
    Cute-Kelli by @Sessizlik.

I'm so happy. I'M SO HAPPY. The remaster has the International Zodiac Job System and I want it!

IshinFeirenz
    Ah, the final fantasy I played without the main character 100% of the allowable times. Balthier really should have been the main protaganist in that one.

Back to why I'm here, it's a twofer. One, I finally diagnosed the cause of my gaming PC crashes and now it runs as well as a windows system can run, so I'm finally enjoying games with minimal bugs which is a big plus.

Two, since my PC works correctly, I'm finally back on the Witcher 3. I posted earlier that I really couldn't get into it and the culprit was 100% playing it with a mouse and keyboard. My roommate got a steam controller and I've been borrowing it for this game, complete night and day difference.
    Ishin
  • @Jensen does the controller make that much of a difference? I enjoyed the Witcher 3, what little I played of it, but I really couldn't get into it either.

It took some time getting used to the new controller and there still are 1 or 2 finicky elements I need to get used to, but it turned the game around for me entirely.

I would recommend a controller of any kind and trying to 100% white orchard before moving on.  Both of those things got me into the game.

For the steam controller itself the negatives are some of the plastic feels cheap, and it doesn't have rechargeable batteries  built in.  

The new layout takes some getting used to, such as a track pad instead of a joystick but the ergonomics that at first feel awkward eventually become quite nice.  I find that I no longer iron grip the controller over time (which doesn't feel so uncomfortable after a few hours of gaming)
  • edited June 2016
    @xavin @Jensen

... Get a 360/Xbone controller. Seriously. The Steam controller is actually not remotely as decent as those two. Just go to your local walmart/gamestore and get a 3rd party WIRED 360/Xbone controller, I promise, you'll be glad you did, it makes a difference in a lot of games.

Facts: I use a 20-something dollar Rock Candy 360 wired controller. This thing's survived a guy with frustration issues playing Dark Souls 2, with a habit of making things harder on himself by not realizing stuff.. like damage type weaknesses..and resistances in enemies.. and not bothering upgrading armor ever..
    Ishin
    Xbox dpads are pretty shit, I always had to use an emulator to run a ps3 controller for dark souls 

Use whatever controller you find to be the most comfortable. Everyone has always espoused the greatness of the XBox controllers, but I find them to very uncomfortable to hold and can't use it for extended periods of time. My favorite controllers of all-time were the Gamecube's and PS3's Dualshock. Lots of people hated the DS3, but I found it to be perfectly comfortable for my hands--never cramped up, liked the analogs, and the D-Pad never got sticky for me. I find the DS4 to be much more uncomfortable for my thumbs after a few hours, but them's the breaks I suppose.

Needless to say, I heard a lot of people are finding the Steam Controller to be great--takes a while to get used to, but otherwise seems to be a nice creation from Valve.

Jensen
    I would recommend learning on a game you've never played with a controller before 
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Playing Witcher 3 with a controller is the way to go #xboxgamer
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Malok
    edited June 2016

I'm dying. I'm dead. RIP me wake me up in November ty

Also the new Prey looks intense as hell. Sad about how things went for Human Head, but I love Arkane.

KelliaraIshin

• edited June 2016
    I loved Dishonored (that spelling :'( ), but is it rude of me to hope I get more than just the original game wearing a different, slightly shinier hat?

Edit: To be fair, 90% chance I'll get it either way, just hoping for something new and cool.
    Idk who changed the thread title, but you might as well just summarize E3 for me so far with

As I hyperventilate into a paper bag to Dishonored 2.

Kelliara
    Kelliara said:

I loved Dishonored (that spelling :'( ), but is it rude of me to hope I get more than just the original game wearing a different, slightly shinier hat?

Edit: To be fair, 90% chance I'll get it either way, just hoping for something new and cool.

Haha, it's definitely not rude--everyone has different hopes and desires when those sequels get announced. Personally, I didn't want Arkane to reinvent the wheel when it came to their gameplay choices with Dishonored 2. Hell, that was one of my big worries when they initially announced their development on it. I think they, more than anything, have honored Thief in a way that Eidos seemed to lose their grasp on when they created Thief (2014).

From some of the interviews today with Harvey Smith and on Twitter, the game'll be around 12-20 hours on a playthrough. You can tell the Outsider you don't want his gifts at the start and go straight to a Flesh and Steel playthrough where you have no powers as either Emily or Corvo. That's rad as hell to me and I absolutely adored my Mostly Flesh and Steel playthrough. In addition to that, Emily's got a whole slew of different powers to Corvo, Corvo's are upgraded and changed--I think he gained some aspects of Daud's from Knife of Dunwall/The Brigmore Witches, there's an emphasis on adding in even more stealth options, and
    DELILAH IS BACK

Ishin
  • DraimanDraiman Dr. Drai
    Hngh I guesssssssssss I'll finally finish Dishonored.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

Hiding Kojima's newest project behind the spoiler. NSFW due to Norman Reedus butt.

• edited June 2016
    Norse Kratos is not a far cry from my vision of Berserkers for Aetolia. Just saying.

Edit: Also, if what you said about being able to tell the Outside to go play in traffic is true, that's pretty cool. I know it's a tiny thing, but rooting mechanical things like that in the story is a big draw for me, and part of the reason I really REALLY love another game. (It doesn't give you choice, being linear, but it goes on to tell you why you don't have a choice as part of the story. I'll bet people who know know what game I'm talking about)

I'm certainly not suggesting reinventing the wheel, but I've gotten a bit jaded when it comes to sequels after playing a tonne of games that are essentially just reskins of previous versions with little or no real effort gone into expanding or improving.

Berserk Musou teaser behind the spoiler. It'll be on PC, PS3, PS4, and the Vita. The thumbnail is a little NSFW and, well, it is Berserk.

Kelliara said:

Also, if what you said about being able to tell the Outsider to go play in traffic is true

Now, you can totally be Garrett in that game that is a spiritual successor to Thief!

AtrapoemaDraimanBufordTrager

Shachalai
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    No wonder he took the bow from the kid, it shoots goddamn lightning bolts.