Retiree moving to Aetolia

KletturKlettur Underground
Hi! Longtime Lusternia player, retiring to Aetolia and trying it out. I've got a few questions I'm hoping people can help with. I'm not entirely new to Aetolia, but this is the most I've invested in a character. Right now I'm tritrans Teradrim with a decent smattering of lessons invested in other skills, three arti-syringes, level 1 bashing rune and a few other minor artifacts. I'm on Mudlet.

1. It seems like commercially sold systems are hard to find here. Do most mid-tier combatants and down just resort to firstaid with a few personal triggers?

2. Does anyone sell a setup for class defenses?

3. If I wanted a custom flail, it seems I need to buy a 125 credit artifact, design my customisation, and then use the artifact to apply the design to my flail. Is this correct? Is there no real way to have a non-decay weapon?

4. Do people from opposing sides tend to attack hunters who aren't known for attacking/raiding?

5. I've found a serious lack of documentation for Teradrim, especially in regards to indepth golem usage and sand demesne desiccation use. the latter seeming to be more support than anything else. Is Teradrim underplayed/understaffed in regards to active combatants?

Comments

• SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    You can't have a non-decay weapon at ALL, even with artifacts.

• TragerTrager Raiding your underwear drawer.
    People have sold systems off and on throughout the time I've been here. It's dwindled away, though, due to both dramarama that comes up with the system/updates/etc and the introduction to more user-friendly/in-depth Firstaid.
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's go-... Oh.

• edited January 2016
    1) With the introduction of First-Aid most systems aren't even sold anymore, however, there is still a free system called Source available through download via forums: http://forums.aetolia.com/discussion/1915/project-source-support-version-1-1-update-6-june/p1

2) Source comes with all class defenses set up already.

3) Like Serrice said, you can't have a non-decay weapon, so yes, you would HAVE to buy the custom rune.

4) People tend to not attack anyone at all. PK is kind of in a very low/lulling state right now. Most everyone bashes/RPs/AFK all day long. You do have the occasional lesser/major, but you can't be hunted for attending a lesser/major. Just don't piss people off or hunt in Open PK areas and you can hunt to your hearts content.

5) If you want to get into PK as a Teradrim, try to get in touch with Draiman, Ezalor, or Trikal. They could probably give you a run down on how to fight as Teradrim.

Edit: Should you decide to download Source and use it, contact someone in the Project Source clan so that they can induct you for help/questions/etc. You can see the list of people in it via CLANHELP PS.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

Klettur
  • Klettur said:

Hi! Longtime Lusternia player, retiring to Aetolia and trying it out. I've got a few questions I'm hoping people can help with. I'm not entirely new to Aetolia, but this is the most I've invested in a character. Right now I'm tritrans Teradrim with a decent smattering of lessons invested in other skills, three arti-syringes, level 1 bashing rune and a few other minor artifacts. I'm on Mudlet.

3. If I wanted a custom flail, it seems I need to buy a 125 credit artifact, design my customisation, and then use the artifact to apply the design to my flail. Is this correct? Is there no real way to have a non-decay weapon?

4. Do people from opposing sides tend to attack hunters who aren't known for attacking/raiding?

5. I've found a serious lack of documentation for Teradrim, especially in regards to indepth golem usage and sand demesne desiccation use. the latter seeming to be more support than anything else. Is Teradrim underplayed/understaffed in regards to active combatants?

3. The only kind of weapon in the game that doesn't decay, to my knowledge, is an artifact staff for Shamans. Artifact shields don't decay as well, but i'm not sure you can really classify that as a weapon unless you're a Luminary or Templar.

4. Not really, unless you have some personal beef someone. Everyone is generally pretty chill. General rule of thumb is leave people alone, and they'll leave you alone.

5. I dunno if @Feichin really comes around anymore, but he's probably the most experienced and well versed Teradrim in the game. Look for him, otherwise, @Draiman or @Ilyon may be able to help you. @Ezalor is a total noob when it comes to Teradrim.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • I'm in a similar situation, just with different questions, and a history in Imperian rather than Lusternia.

1) Reading about firstaid on the forums it tends to sound pretty subpar, but a lot of the posts seem dated, how functional is it these days? I enjoy building systems, but having something from the get go while I cut my teeth that isn't going to lock up in the first 30 seconds would be lovely.

2) I see Syssin have lost combat illusions, do other guilds still have access to illusions during fights? How important is illusion proofing when building your system now?

3) I'm given to understand that curing here has a set priority order rather than being randomised. If that's the case, is the priority lists for each cure available in a help/post somewhere, or is it one of those things you have to trial and error/nag a friend for?

4) I'm told there's not much in the way of offensive artifacts for my class of choice (Syssin), so instead I'm looking for quality of life gear (primarily regarding pvp, though I'm open to other suggestions), things like in Imperian, the monocle that allowed for eqless observe, or a permanent moss tattoo. What artifacts do you think you'd struggle to make an alt and not purchase again?

• On my phone but:

1) First-aid isn't awful but it also doesn't manage class defs so you'd have to code that.

2) Illusions are worthless as far as class skills go, and the staff arti for them can't be used in combat now I think. I couldn't even use Illusions for RP, you get like 60 characters max.

3) you can look at help healing list for the order of curing.

4) My bracer that tells me I'm being sensed/who did it, my shrunken head that sneezes when someone says my name. +con is super nice too.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• Nozuzius said:

I'm in a similar situation, just with different questions, and a history in Imperian rather than Lusternia.

1) Reading about firstaid on the forums it tends to sound pretty subpar, but a lot of the posts seem dated, how functional is it these days? I enjoy building systems, but having something from the get go while I cut my teeth that isn't going to lock up in the first 30 seconds would be lovely.

Firstaid is pretty good, But as Toz said you got to make something to manage CLASS defense, refilling pipes/syringes, lighting pipes/syringes. parrying, and a few other things I cant think of at present.
    MayhemHunting - Discord Chat - CLANHELP MAY (ingame)

• KerocKeroc A small cupboardAdministrator, Immortal
    Nozuzius said:

I'm in a similar situation, just with different questions, and a history in Imperian rather than Lusternia.

2) I see Syssin have lost combat illusions, do other guilds still have access to illusions during fights? How important is illusion proofing when building your system now?

3) I'm given to understand that curing here has a set priority order rather than being randomised. If that's the case, is the priority lists for each cure available in a help/post somewhere, or is it one of those things you have to trial and error/nag a friend for?

4) I'm told there's not much in the way of offensive artifacts for my class of choice (Syssin), so instead I'm looking for quality of life gear (primarily regarding pvp, though I'm open to other suggestions), things like in Imperian, the monocle that allowed for eqless observe, or a permanent moss tattoo. What artifacts do you think you'd struggle to make an alt and not purchase again?

1) You can definitely use first-aid for almost everything except top-tier PvP I would say.

2) There are classes with illusions still, but combat application of it is mostly rendered useless by Hypersight. You could sneak something in on someone unaware however.

3) HELP CURES CONCOCTIONS/REANIMATION should be up-to-date. The same is true with HELP AFFLICTION TYPES. They are laid out in the order would cure something, assuming that ability doesn't do so randomly.

4) Personally I think this is more dependent on the player. I have heard 'mana_boon' toted a lot though through my wriggly divine ears. Skills are definitely more worthwhile then artifacts though.
  • I believe that to get the most out of firstaid, you will need to figure out better priorities than come default.

I'm not sure how many people bother too much with that.
  • edited January 2016
    @Nozuzius I asked @Trikal about your 4th question, regarding Syssin artifacts. Syssin, based on what I understand of them, are already at the peak of their offensive ability in 1v1.
    Since you cannot speed yourself further (since I don't know how effective Rune is with dstab. Worthless, iirc, since I heard it is used mainly on the whip for garrotes).

It was suggested to me to go defensive. Defensive artis will let you survive for longer periods of time in combat, giving you more time and opportunity to lock/kill someone.

I'd love for an active Syssin combatant to confirm or deny this, though.

• LimLim
    edited January 2016
    For utility, artifact pipes. For movement, wings or amulet. For PVP utility, stability, zephyr, culling blade. Just off the top of my head. Yes, syssin don't get any offensive artis except maybe biting damage and rune to increase garrote dps. Tuning fork if you're good enough to kill under time pressure and into ganking afk people. 

If you have the spare credits you may well want to invest your lessons in skills though. You'll want to trans survival for faster focusing, miniskills for the resistances and regeneration, and if you don't want to constantly stock up on lanos eyes, vision. Other defensive artifacts for tankiness would be mana boon for mana, the respective +stats and enhancements, regeneration, etc. plenty to get that will feed raz, keroc and hadrak for the next couple of months. 

Personally, I'd get the three pipes, then all the aforementioned skills, before even thinking about artis. 
    XavinFezzix
  • A general rule for any class is pipe > skills > misc artifacts. One of the things I notice is that no one is singing the praises of the stability artifact. Free, balance-less mass with none of the drawbacks. It should be one of the first few artifacts anyone gets, in my opinion.

• Man, I don't have artifact pipes or stability yet...should probably do that at some point.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

• Thanks for all the replies!

In regards to the Skills>Artifacts, I don't disagree, I've already got my guild skills + vision/avoidance, will finish survival/tattoos shortly and will get weaponry at least as far as parry. The mini's I'm leaving to bash up to give myself something to grind towards, though if I find myself getting obliterated by specific damage types I'll probably throw some additional credits at them.

When you say none of the drawbacks regarding stability, does that mean I'll be able to dash with it on?

In regards to stat-modifiers, if I were to pick up a level 1 con belt now, off in the future if I decide I've money to burn, can I upgrade to level 2 for the price difference, or do I have to tradein for 2/3rds then pick up the new one?

Is there a cap/diminishing returns from dex to pvp dodging?
  • A level 1 con belt is alright but you can buy a white amulet to get +1 to all stats for 15k gold, lasts like 2 RL weeks.

As for stability, drop stability/dash/raise stability.

Finally, dex works weird - I think there is a helpful IG on it, but basically if you'd dex is higher than mine, you actually miss me less and I miss you more, though this is with the disclaimer that I haven't checked lately to see if it changed.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

• Oh cool, I was just having this discussion yesterday. I'm at a cross trying to figure out how useful dex is. I think someone said at 17 dex they were pulling 20% dodge without weaving. Up to you if that's how you wanna tank over going con.

Doesn't str also effect divert stuff, while on the topic?
  • edited January 2016
    @Feirenz str affects divert amount, but not the chance.

• Relevant announce:
    ANNOUNCE NEWS #2214
    Date: 1/15/2014 at 2:05
    To : Everyone
    Subj: Stat/statpack adjustments

Here's a new set of changes related to stats and statpacks. We will be making tweaks to these over
    the coming days, but the following changes will finalize our adjustments to stats and statpacks. As
    such, we will be turning off free reincarnations in 72 hours from this post.

All current enhancements have been reset, so make sure you put those back up!

* You can no longer enhance a resist that your statpack already had innately.

* Damage mitigation from Avoidance diversion now scales to strength.
    - Base 15%, +- 3% for each point of strength beyond or below 14.

* The 'Writhing' augmetic has been removed.

* If the attacker's dexterity is larger than the defender's dexterity, the defender's dexterity will
    be subtracted by half the difference between the two stats. This can never cause the effective
    dexterity to drop below 10.

* Nimbleness
    - No longer affects chance to divert.
    - Chance to dodge modifier has been halved from 30% to 15%.

* New ability: Fortify.
    - Increases divert chance by 30%.
    - Shares timer and cooldown with nimbleness.
    - Will double strength contribution to mitigation amount (i.e. 3% to 6%), or negate penalty if you
    are below 14 strength.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

• Glorious data! Thanks for that
  • With the stability artifact you can dash. In effect the stability defense acts just like mass but because you -don't- have mass any of your actions that would have been stopped or impeded by mass still work.

• Another retiree from other games here. If someone has the time to answer a few questions I'd be ever so grateful.

1. Coming from Achaea and Lusternia, what would the main differences be in trade skills? Are you limited to one or two at a time like in Lusternia, or do you incur a penalty for multiple skills like in Achaea?

2. Has the population experienced the same type of growth as Achaea has with the RETIRE system?

3. What's the story on minipets? I don't mind efreets and golems, but every now and again it's just nice to cuddle a normal cat.

4. Is the Housing system still credit-based?

5. I heard about a gold-drop nerf. Will this affect things like ratting. (Also, do you guys have fishing?)

That's all I have for now. If any of you lovely people have the time to answer a few of these, I would very much appreciate it.
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    1. I never played Achaea, but tradeskills are different here than Lusternia. If you can pay the credits to buy the skill (usually 100, I believe, plus the lessons for it), then you have the skill. It requires literally nothing else. You don't have to worry about cartels or limits on how many designs you can put through an IG year or anything like that. Go crazy!

2. I have definitely noticed spikes in my guild (Shamans), at the very least.

3. There are a BUNCH of different minipets you can get for different currencies (I see them on the auctionhouse for both gold and credits, and for ironcoins (dingbats) in the artifact system), which you can also get customized for credit cost, within reason (kitten has to stay a kitten for minipets, etc).

4. Yes, mostly. A lot of expansion is done on play-side now though, thankfully, so you don't have to wait for admin to add rooms in, but it's not like manses where you buy for gold - extra rooms cost credits. At endgame you get a haven though, which has its own rules. You can expand rooms onto it for haven points which you get every 25% of a level after 100. HELP HAVENS has a lot of info there.

5. No, ratting still has the same gold-drop rate - it was straight out mob-drop from bashing and corpse turn-in quests that were nerfed. Yes, we have fishing - it costs 100 credits, though. You fish to learn it instead of putting lessons in, which is a neat mechanic. I've been playing with it lately, I like it a lot.

Hope that helps!
    Aryanne
  • Thank you!
  • I'm hijacking this for a moment as I am also a retiree moving from a different IRE game.

I'm currently playing a luminary in Enorian, nearly tri-transed, debating whether to spend a couple grand of credits on this class. I'm mainly into combat and bashing, with some roleplay/lore. I'm not too familiar with the Gods or the guilds in Enorian, but from what I see it has been OK. I just have a few questions from what I experienced so far:

1) I've been a priest combatant most of my time in IRE, but Luminary looks like a somewhat stripped down version with more of an emphasis on light? It is missing the healing and disrupts that I loved about the priest class. Not sure how thrilled I am either that they're sharing a same skillset with zealots. What was the reasoning for not having the extra affliction curing? Is there anyway to supplement that with artefacts?

2) There isn't an option to buy an artefact mace, instead there are things called runes you can attach. Which is ok, I was wondering if there are ways to customize the mace? I saw some options for other classes but none for luminary.

3) I play a very weird timezone (8am-4pm pt) and find that there is hardly anyone about my city and especially my guild for hours. Is Enorian not popular? Am I just not playing at the right time?

4) Very small stupid question, but why aren't angels treated as loyals? You cannot look/name/etc them.

5) Is there a clan that you can ask system questions on? We had an svo one in Achaea. Not sure what you all use here.

Loving the game so far! Thanks again.

(Illuminai): Saltz says, "Moxie is just doing the Moxie thing to do, often misinterpreted."

(Tells): Sir Iames Gallant, the Executioner tells you, "The one Illuminai beyond prayer, I swear."

Valingar: "How could a daughter of me, the most noble man in the south, be so heartless?"

(Tells): Haven Locke, Illuminai Khimaira tells you, "Be that as it may, I've also seen the strength in you. You can take care of yourself."
  • @Moxie:

1) Luminary actually has alot of passive curing they get on top of active curing, more than any other classes get. Likewise, there's not really an artifact way to supplement more curing, sorry.

2) You can always buy the customization rune and when you attach it to your weapon, it'll basically transform the way the weapon looks. Other than that, no other real way to do that.

3) Actually, thats a really good time frame for most people. Though if you can get on around 6-7PM your time, you might catch a handful more people.

4) Angels are loyals, you just can't name them. Just PROBE (#)

5) Depends on the system really. Most people use either Firstaid or Source, with the few handful of people who make their own system. If you want to be brought into a couple coding/system clans. Hit me up whenever you're online and I'll invite you to Kelsys Labs and Source clans. Both are really good for coding/system questions.

Hope all this helps!
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

Moxie
  • Uhh, you can name the angels by using the mob ID number - or at least that's how I did it.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

Moxie
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    1) I'd hardly say it's stripped down. You missed the biggest difference, which I'd say would be in Spirituality -- hitting things with your shield repeatedly. Instead of smite/chasten/disrupt, you do shield hit/chasten. Offensively speaking, you lack disrupts, but you replace that by having something to do besides smite with your balance. Luminary combat has probably the same number of tactical options, whether affs into hellsight or lock or transfix into overwhelm or pure limb damage into overwhelm. Keep in mind that Aetolian combat is balanced around fine tuned affliction delivery -- it's assumed you know pretty much exactly the state of your opponent at any given point in time because of Discernment/Eye of Lanos and fixed cure orders.

In the context of this game's combat meta, Luminary is fairly defensively sturdy, and Healing would make it hilariously overpowered in light of the increased control of affliction output that Spirituality offers here. In Aetolia, everybody can use a purity enchantment (so everybody has some passive curing) and endgame characters have an additional affliction cure at 20s balance. Luminaries additionally have Healing rite, a fast one aff active cure on 15s cd in the form of Evoke Fire, and a lot of hindering in their main offensive routes, whether lethargy, blindness opening up transfix threat, or limb breaks.

2) We don't have artifact weapons here. Everything is handled via runes which do the same thing -- so like an Auroran mace would basically just be a mace with a level 3 rune stuck onto it. Since you can bind a mace now, you can use whatever custom forging design of mace you want. You can buy designs onto stock weapons now too, so they don't have to be forged into the design originally. If you REALLY wanted something fancy, you could buy a rune of transformation and stick it onto that.

3) Can't help you there. We're a smaller game. I gotta say at the moment though, spirit seems to be outnumbering shadow by a fair amount.

4) Luminaries also can have one free customize of their angel.

5) Generally, the faction-side combat clans are the best places to ask questions about that sort of thing, followed by maybe the Source one. Front Line for Enorian, in that case.

Moxie
  • Thank you for the comments, some followups since you have me thinking.

I've been reading a few things about lumi combat - is it necessary to hunt to 99+ in order to fully participate in pvp? 

I'm unfamiliar with using a shield as a weapon as I usually use it for parrying and absorbing damage. It seems like size matters with the shield as far as balance goes, is there a perfect shield for luminaries?

Lightning versus smite. I'm currently statted for strength, but is there significant more damage being done if I go with an int base? I'm thinking of taking the eq+ stat pack.

(Illuminai): Saltz says, "Moxie is just doing the Moxie thing to do, often misinterpreted."

(Tells): Sir Iames Gallant, the Executioner tells you, "The one Illuminai beyond prayer, I swear."

Valingar: "How could a daughter of me, the most noble man in the south, be so heartless?"

(Tells): Haven Locke, Illuminai Khimaira tells you, "Be that as it may, I've also seen the strength in you. You can take care of yourself."
  • Its not necessary to go to 99+ to partake in PVP, but it won't hurt you either. However, I do suggest getting Recovery in Survival to increase your tree tat timer.

Not sure on your second question, simply due to the fact I've never played a lifer class and only use shield when I'm bashing.

When it comes to stats v. attacks, you will always do more damage if the related stat is higher. For example, Frenzy is a strength based attack, so I would want more Strength. If Lightning is an Int attack, you want more Int. Also, there is no eq+ statpack, thats actually an enhancement now, which can be viewed with HELP ENHANCEMENTS and personally, I'd ask around on if its better for Lumi to be +bal or +eq. Thats just me though.

Moxie
  • You're fantastic, thank you! I was reading all the way back to 2013, so I assumed the eq+ stat was still around. If I remember anything about priest, we have far more eq attacks than balance, but I'm not sure if it's the same for lumi. I'll ask around.