Changes to Gold Drops

edited January 2016 in Town Crier
Gold drops from bashing have been reduced to roughly a tenth of what they were in the past. I'm all for letting the player run markets adjust accordingly, but what about things that the players can't control, like commodity prices? City comm shops don't generate their own anymore, so weapons, armor, mending salves, clothing, vials, and pipes will be more costly to produce, just to name a few. On top of that, maintaining and recruiting city guards will suck coffers dry, along with upkeep fees.

With the wealth modification up, I used to be able to make around 50k gold in an hour while bashing high end areas. With current drops, that comes down to 5k. I know most of the player base won't bash nearly as much as I will, but now that gold is harder to attain while non-player controlled prices remain the same, we'll see bashing areas cleared out more often, making gold even -more- difficult to come by.

I understand that gold drops needed to be nerfed, but did it need to be this drastic? Couldn't a reduction of 50% done just as well? If the admins aren't willing to consider upping gold drops, could they at least think about adjusting commodity and city gold upkeep requirements accordingly?

I know we're all still feeling out these changes, but I figured I'd add my input anyway.

EDIT: Redacted. This post was a knee jerk reaction, and I've always been reluctant to change. After some thought, I'm willing to see how this turns out. I like the idea of players having to work harder for having nice things like crafted items. I also like the idea of shop keeping actually being profitable. Necessities in game can still be obtained by in game means, only now you actually have to play the game to get them.

Comments

• LarionLarion Chicago, US
    I'm not entirely sure how having less gold in circulation will make shop keeping more profitable. If anything, it will push prices even further down.

And some things that require commodities aren't "nice things", they're "necessary things", like weapons and armor...
    XeniaEydis
  • Fezzix said:

With the wealth modification up, I used to be able to make around 50k gold in an hour while bashing high end areas. With current drops, that comes down to 5k. I know most of the player base won't bash nearly as much as I will, but now that gold is harder to attain while non-player controlled prices remain the same, we'll see bashing areas cleared out more often, making gold even -more- difficult to come by.

I just wished that Admin made more bashing areas BEFORE the nerf as now everyone will NEED to hunt to purchase things. I did Aurer Haven and normally I get roughly 4k, which covers my days bashing but now I only make 270 gold.

I get the gold nerf, But people will be complaining that all areas are bashed out a lot more, til the new Areas which was posted in the other topic have been made/released.

I'd feel mean bashing level 80ish areas such as cliffs, drakuum, ollin to make gold as it'll take experience out of them who can only bash them areas.
    MayhemHunting - Discord Chat - CLANHELP MAY (ingame)

• One of the biggest draws of IRE games has always been that it's pay for perks, but you can earn those perks entirely IG too, with hard work and determination. The Aetolian Dream, baby. So let's look at some numbers with the latest changes:

Average gold per hour bashing: 15k Cheapest credit price on market: 15k Level 1 stat artifact: 500cr 500cr * 15k/cr = 7500k, or 7.5m. 7.5m / .015m/hour = 500 hours. 500 hours / 24 hours/day = ~20.83 days.

So if it's seen as reasonable that it takes almost 21 days of bashing (RL days) to earn a single level 1 artifact, then things are in a good place right now I guess.

I don't think they're done changing things, and I'm hopeful stuff will get better! But right now, nobody has an incentive to buy credits to put into the market because gold is worthless outside of supplies (the new giftbags are a major downgrade, especially since the playerbase isn't big enough to support selling those talisman pieces), and I think the price of credits will stabilize probably at about 15k given nobody is going to be introducing a large amount of new credits any time soon. The game in its current state needs, in my opinion, a goldsink that yields actual rewards instead of gambling with much worse odds/rewards than previously, and until it gets something that makes having gold valuable, nothing will be fixed.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Jensen
  • I'm just wondering if with the change to gold drops if there will be new ways to make gold through commodities. Since villages are the only producers now, and their numbers reduced, will there be something introduced which will allow people to 'harvest' coms such as wood and ores for personal use or even becoming an alternate method to earn up gold?

On a different note, fishing is probably more profitable than bashing all the time!

• JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    I enjoy that there will now be a significant way to economically help/hurt organizations, and with that significance, diplomacy matters.
    Aryanne
  • AvishaiAvishai Portland, Oregon
    Quick question to anyone who is able to answer, since there has been a dramatic shift in gold drops in questing and bashing, will ylem items be considered for pricing changes or...

I did some calculations, will this be host to further encouragement to do the mines for sustainability, each mines quest 1000 gold, then having the current decay on amulets be roughly two weeks, and then requiring two weeks of mine participation to make 15000 gold for the amulets.

That being said, things like the artifact gauntlet/goggles, perhaps changing this to a credit price may be a better idea to make it more cost effective, since the gold cost will be quite difficult to reach in a timely manner.

Just some morning forums thoughts.

Thank you.
  • Or just reduce the gold cost of the artifact gauntlet/goggles? Personally, not a fan of 'throw credits at it' solution. >.>

Gold income has been reduced to a tenth of what it use to be in most areas/quests so yeah. The price definitely needs adjusting one way or the other.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

Avishai
  • If you want to buy it for credits. Sell credits on the market.
  • I think I'd like to see the gold requirement for transmutations changed. I'm not willing to spend 20k for a slightly upgraded modification anymore.
    KelliaraXenia
  • Give us manses/estates like Lusternia or MKO. I'd dump a shitload of gold into that.
  • AvishaiAvishai Portland, Oregon
    edited January 2016
    I unfortunately cant buy credits, as my income is sustained by student loans, I am an unartifacted not even Tri-trans luminary, so the objective of getting credits is unfortunately something I am not able to really do @Trikal which is why I inquired on it for a less expensive gold cost
  • If all the quests in my normal route is available, I make an easy 17k gold in 20 minutes. That's with one bashing quest, the spiders, which has been nerfed. There's still quests out there that I could be doing, but I like my route, since I have it down to a tee. I'm not gonna encourage people to learn to quest, since that will take gold away from me, but really, there is gold to be made out there.

DristinAryanne
  • You're just forced to decide between actual quests and kill-quests, now. Gold income, or experience income. Not being able to do both at the same time is pain, but I guess I can figure out some other methods.

• I am rather fond of these gold nerfs, because now it forces people to actually fucking do something instead of sitting afk in their haven or roleplaying for hours upon hours on end. Hurray!!! :smiley: Although now, instead of playing a prim and proper person wearing a whole bunch of fancy clothing for every damn scenario, you get to play a pauper and RP about how you're broke and too lazy to hunt because it hinders your ability to talk to/RP with people. Priorities people, priorities. Lol.

Fun fact: Alternatively, you could just all your stuff decay and never care about clothes again, because who actually looks at the shit people are/aren't wearing??

+100 points to Admin for gold nerfs! :smiley:
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

Erzsebet
  • Avishai said:

That being said, things like the artifact gauntlet/goggles, perhaps changing this to a credit price may be a better idea to make it more cost effective, since the gold cost will be quite difficult to reach in a timely manner.

I re-state. If you want to buy something that costs gold with credits, sell your credits on the market.
    Teani
  • edited January 2016

Right. It comes down to what stage you're at in your life. As a poor student I would have earned it in game. As a working single guy on a decent income, I sold credits instead. Now that I have a kid, I don't have the money for credits or the time to earn it in game - so it's lucky I filled a bank account a few years back and get enough interest from that to keep equipped...
    AryanneAvishai
  • End of the day, the game is a business and they need to make money. The fact you've been able to farm so much free stuff is a privledge, not something you are owed. Sure it sucks but... It's free to play, and the paychecks of the people working to make the game good don't care if you're in college or have kids - they have their own to worry about too!

XavinSaturnine
    Asaraii said:

The fact you've been able to farm so much free stuff is a privledge, not something you are owed.

In my fairly extensive experience, a business taking a "we don't owe you anything" attitude towards its customers has worked out well precisely never for that business..

EydisZarniKletturErzsebet
  • edited January 2016
    The problem is that when there is a luxury that you've come to expect/enjoy on a regular basis, the moment it is taken away is probably the most obvious thing in the world.

For example, I never bought cryptic chests. I didn't even realize anything good came out of them, since I farmed gold for the specific purpose of buying minipets and the like. That being lost as a gold sink has no effect on me, but the sudden downgrade on gold farming is a blatant smack to the face as far as my awareness of it goes.

Sure, it is a privilege and a luxury, but people are going to take notice and complain for the first month of losing it, and then refer back to it whenever something similar but not quite as good comes along. It's human nature to complain. In the end, we'll adjust, adapt, and overcome (or people will quit playing.)

I, for one, will be about more often after I've gotten over the fact that I feel shafted on my revenue generation, especially considering bashing for me has been shifted to simply being Teradrim all.. the.. time... (if I even want to bash) -.- but it just means I'll have to do more exploring to find better income... so thank you, admins, for providing options. I like options.

ZsadistAvishai
  • @Larion the idea I get is that it's not so much a 'we don't owe you anything' and more of a 'hey, XYZ has gotten out of hand, we need to fix things'. It's my understanding that Aetolia's promos have been far more lucrative for the players than the promos of most of IRE's other games, so it's not like our admin are actively trying to screw our players.

What it seems like we have is a group of players who are more concerned with themselves than they are for the health of the game. Like rigging the credit market is supposed to be some sort of statement, like the admin don't already know the game's economy has been in a bad place for a long time. You're not punishing them, you're punishing your fellow players.

ZsadistTeaniAsaraiiSaturnine
    Eh, none of that really applies to me. I'm essencially a new player, trying to put together enough coins to be able to buy amulets on regular basis (and yes, the amulets are amazing - there's no such thing in Imperian, the other IRE game I play).

I'm all for taking a wait-and-see attitude to see how this shakes out, but the fact of the matter is that a lot of things not related to credit economy have just gotten 10 times more expensive as well, and there will be people who never bought cryptic chests or credits who will be affected by that.
  • And some of that is coming down to players reacting to changes in a way that only looks at them and doesn't look at the health of the game overall. Things like your amulets are not by any stretch of the imagination necessary. Heck, a white amulet is equivalent to a 2250 credit artifact. Maybe the others aren't quite on par with that but man....that sort of thing is -insane-.

We, as players, need to be a bit more reasonable than we have been over the last week. Instead of trying to gouge prices because we're salty, we need to sit down and actually assess what the best thing we can do for the game is. And I have news for everyone, it's not trying to give the admin the ol' middle finger by rigging the markets. That's not going to accomplish anything good.

UrialZsadistEmelleArbreAryanneNola
  • Uhh. Players have a right to look out for their own best interest. With the gold->credit conversion rate screwed, the best thing for a player is to buy credits as cheaply as they can as fast as they can before the stock dries up. Frankly, it's bs to bag on any player for taking care of themselves, because you're sure not going to help them out with buying artifacts etc. are you? It's unfair in the extreme to expect players to take care of the rest of the game too - it'd be better for me to just retire my character than go to lessers and upset people by winning, by that logic. There's nothing wrong with competition, be it over bashing grounds, xp rankings, combat skill, or resources (including credits).

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

Fezzix
  • edited January 2016
    I'm not bagging on the people buying. I'm bagging on the people buying who then turn around and toss them back on the market at 10,000 gold per or more. I'm bagging on the people that are doing exactly what made Clio so reviled back when I first started playing seriously.

It's entirely fair for me to expect the players to not actively attempt to screw over the rest of the playerbase because they want to throw a freakin' tantrum because cryptic chests can't be bought with gold anymore.

Tl;dr, you want the situation in the game to get better? Then you need to act with a little thought for someone more than yourself.

• Er. Unless you've got some names, @Xavin, the only people I've seen buying up every credit under 10k are actually using them.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

Gee, thanks for setting me straight. I'm aware that amulets aren't necessary. This is a recreational activity, none of this is strictly speaking necessary.

Admins are free to change the game in whatever way they think is best, but as paying customer, I don't appreciate being told that I should just be grateful for what IRE chose to give me. That's not how this works, nor is it our job to contort ourselves into whatever behavior best suits the admins. This "admins know best, just shut up and keep giving them your money" attitude is ridiculous.
    DraimanIshinEydisFaerahSaturnineKletturErzsebet
  • The only people rigging the markets are the people selling the credits, not the one person buying them all. And like Toz said, unless you know someone else buying them and throwing them back up, this person is using them, not reselling.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

Having said all that, I don't think there's any sort of deliberate rigging going on. What we see is the usual reaction to violent market upheavals everywhere - a period of uncertainty and price-discovery, followed by market participants attempting to game market inefficiencies. We basically just simultaneously underwent a hyperdeflation (removal of gold rewards), while increasing resource scarcity (removal of cryptic chests). In theory they should balance each other out, but it will take some time for the market to settle.

The real problem, as I said, are inelastic costs that are either hard coded (amulets), or mechanically can't go any lower (most of the curatives).
    IselleEmelleEzalor
    This guy gets it