Development update, Sep 2015

RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal
Hey folks,

Just wanted to post a short update to keep you all abreast of what we have going on internally and our plans.

Our main focus for the foreseeable future is going to be the war system. I have no timeline or deadlines for this, and it's very much a "it'll be done when it's ready" sort of thing. Our intention with it is to create a multi-layered system that everybody can contribute to in some form - even without being a combatant. I don't have any more details to share on this right now as it's still in its earliest stages and will no doubt be changing considerably over time.

This doesn't mean we won't be working on other things, of course, just that our main focus lies in the war system. We'll still be releasing areas, liaisons and other bits. For example, @Oleis has something coming out soon you should find useful: Fluidcaches, which is essentially a form of cache that you store fluids in, meaning you don't need to carry around a billion vials. Regardless, if it seems like updates in the coming months feel slower than usual, it's probably because we're working on war.

After we've completed the war system, our main focus is going to be on releasing new content, systems, classes, and mechanics, and giving you all more things to do. We'll still look at old content and revamp it occasionally, but this isn't our main priority.

Anyway, that's a quick update on our plans and goals. Watch out for the month of October as it's Aetolia's 14th birthday. We'll have some games and events for you to participate in, for which we'll have details posted within the next few days. October is also the start of our next liaison round, and reports will open for submission on October 1st. Start thinking about what you want to submit!
ArekaReuxAlexinaIsandeMarienaEmelleAngwe

Comments

• edited September 2015
    @Zsadist is going to hate IF. I'm going to love not spending 150cr on a vialbelt.

Edit:

Are fluidcache interactions going to have the same restrictions as the cache? AKA, will filling a vial require free arms, no paralysis, no web? Will it have unique restrictions?

Will arti vials be given any new features to compliment this system?

Will poultice uses be stored in this cache as well?
    I mean, you know, an amount.

• OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Fluid caches will automatically refill when the fluid is depleted from the vial/bandage with no player action necessary. Like vial belts, the feature does not cost credits to use, but there will be credit upgrades to increase capacity. 

Supported fluids are elixirs, salves, serums, tinctures, poultices, venoms, and resins. 
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
  • Oleis said:

Fluid caches will automatically refill when the fluid is depleted from the vial/bandage with no player action necessary. Like vial belts, the feature does not cost credits to use, but there will be credit upgrades to increase capacity.

I didn't have a chance to check Imperian's system this in depth, but this does mean that the assignment and auto-refill can not be hindered in any way? Even by stupidity somehow firing off the automatic action, or amnesia/concussions?
    I mean, you know, an amount.

Reux said:
    I didn't have a chance to check Imperian's system this in depth, but this does mean that the assignment and auto-refill can not be hindered in any way? Even by stupidity somehow firing off the automatic action, or amnesia/concussions?
    The goal is to remove the necessity for a bunch of vials, so that's correct. Allowing that hindrance would grant an inherent advantage to carrying 50 health vials, when the ideal is one or two. 
    [---]
  • Reux said:

Oleis said:

@reux you have 1 vial for analeptic and when it runs out it auto refills of analeptic. Nothing interferes it. The only thing that does is having no analeptic in your vialbelt. It's a GREAT function and people been asking for it for ALONG time but kept getting shut down.
    Mudlet Bashing System for sale. Message if interested
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    Oh for the days when you had one vial of curare and you hoarded it because good luck getting the Syssin to sell you another.

At least nobody had bloodroot either.

RiluoTeaniAnfiniEmelle
  • Seems more like Lusternia liquidrift/artivials to me than the vial belts. And man, man. That may be my favorite addition in a year.

My love for Oleis has expanded. POWER. UP.
    Areka
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    I've been really curious about the previously mentioned Communication and Espionage Ylem trees. Last year, they were still a thing, although it had been put on the side for the time being. I've been wanting to ask just because the whole Ylem research is one of the features I enjoy in the game, but at the same time, it just feels like bringing up old topics about things that didn't make it through just annoys the forum people.

Has there been any change in the Communication/Espionage plans (cancelled, put on hold, still being worked on, etc)?
    Draiman
  • edited September 2015
    I'm going to go against the general public here and feel free to flame my opinion.

I disagree with the idea of the fluidcache/vialbelt system. We need more goldsinks in the game, not less. By removing the need to have 100+ vials (i have 250 on me at any good point in time), you're removing one of the goldsinks we have within the game as well as somewhat destroying the economy. As is it, each vial goes for 60+ gold apiece.... now you're saying we'll only need 40 or so vials to be completely viable? Thats a huge hit to gold gain via shops, unless shop owners are going to be like, "Well, let me augment the gold loss by jacking the prices of X up by 500%." which personally, I don't see happening. There's nothing wrong with having to carry 100+ vials on your as it won't be any different to having a cache'd system.

Edit: Throw in the fact that alot of us may or may not have multiple artivials, which further eliminates the need to buy vials. I feel like this implementation could possibly destroy the economy to even MAKE vials at all, with the exception of crafters wanting to craft a vial for shits and giggles.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

• ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    I think that the argument that we need more gold sinks is separate from a general quality of life (and load of decaying items spamming messages and so on).
    Emelle
  • You're right, it might very well be a separate argument, but it doesn't distinguish or excuse the fact that this will completely eradicate the need for non-artivials, which alot of crafters tend to craft, which in turn stops you from needing to buy said vials to mass fill your elixirs/venoms. It might be a great use for QOL purposes, but I feel like this will be more detrimental to the economy of Aetolia than helpful.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

• RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal
    Alexina said:

Has there been any change in the Communication/Espionage plans (cancelled, put on hold, still being worked on, etc)?

These were cancelled. Some of the things we had planned for them we implemented in different ways (shop directory, cross sapience/albedos communication). Ultimately, what we wanted to do with them wasn't as compelling as we originally thought.
    Zsadist said:

Vials/economy stuff

We took this into account when deciding to implement the fluidcache and have appropriate changes planned.
    RiluoAlexinaZsadistEmelle
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    Yeah I was wondering if this was going to be considered as vials are one of those things that people carry so many off.

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

• AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    Ooh. I had another question.

Way back, Galleus released mercantile skills (concoctions/reanimation and forging were the choices), with the intent of changing other skillsets into mercantile skills over time (enchantments and venoms, unless I'm misremembering). Is this something the current administration has discussed at all, or are you happy with the current status of mercantile skills?
    Teani
    Alexina said:

Ooh. I had another question.

Way back, Galleus released mercantile skills (concoctions/reanimation and forging were the choices), with the intent of changing other skillsets into mercantile skills over time (enchantments and venoms, unless I'm misremembering). Is this something the current administration has discussed at all, or are you happy with the current status of mercantile skills?

This is a great example of a "Would that I could" issue for us. Merc skills are @Keroc's unholy bugaboo. The best answer (and it's a terrible one) is that Venoms and Enchantments are likely to become mercantile skills if/when Syssin and the Mage classes get revamped. Those are not priorities and we don't have plans in place.
    [---]
  • KerocKeroc A small cupboardAdministrator, Immortal
    Hey guys, just thought I'd drop in with an update on what I'm working on for the remainder of the year and on wards.

My current focus as of the moment is getting Sanguis revamps completed and shipped out to you guys. This doesn't involve completely remaking the class - it will still based around the duality of frenzy/venom and Mentis - instead the revamp is designed to remove Hematurgy and put all the best bits of both skillsets into one neat package. This allows us to keep the focus upon the one skillset rather then being split over Hematurgy and Sanguis like it currently is.

Once the Sanguis revamp is complete, my focus will then be shifted to Syssin and getting Venom pushed into a Mercantile skillset. This will be a mostly quick affair, as we will be splitting Subterfuge into two skillsets, one named Assassination which will contain your PK centric abilities, and the other with the stealth and manipulation abilities left over. There will be some minor tweaks and there to old abilities, but nothing particularly huge.

Those of you that rely on Spitting, it would be a good idea to milk yourself some venoms and stockpile them into your fluidcache, as it will no longer be available once Venom is shifted to a Mercantile ability.

After that, Sentinel will come next. This will be mostly focused on expanding upon traps and resins to give the class a more unique feel from the other knight classes.

And then I will be working on Cabalists, which will involve two new skillsets that replace Necromancy and Domination.

This sums up our plans going forward. Liaison reports will be sprinkled in between where necessary, but this round is shaping up to be a fairly simple one, so I don't foresee any hold ups.

If you have anything you'd like to ask, feel free!
  • So you're removing Syssin's ability to spit venoms to make it a mercantile skill set while effectively just splitting subterfuge into two skillets? Sounds like a huge nerf, both in terms of spending lessons twice the number of lessons to learn what's already one skill set, and losing the venom portion of our skills -- Scytherus specifically, as well as biting camus. Rough. Hopefully we can get some new stuff to go with it.
    FaerahIshin
  • KerocKeroc A small cupboardAdministrator, Immortal
    Trikal said:

So you're removing Syssin's ability to spit venoms to make it a mercantile skill set while effectively just splitting subterfuge into two skillets? Sounds like a huge nerf, both in terms of spending lessons twice the number of lessons to learn what's already one skill set, and losing the venom portion of our skills -- Scytherus specifically, as well as biting camus. Rough. Hopefully we can get some new stuff to go with it.

You will still have camus and scytherus, just under new names.
    Ishin
  • Does removing venom thematically from Syssin mean we will get another viable option for 1v1 PvP other than straight venom locking? I'd be happy to see some other option for us to use.
    Ishin
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Probably not much different than the mage thing with skillsets being split maybe you'll get another utility skill or two and a couple things out of venom, but like, look at AB SUBTERFUGE it's already like 2x more skills than like a lot of skillsets.
    AarbrokTrager
  • TragerTrager Raiding your underwear drawer.
    I fail to see how losing the ability to never have to purchase venoms is going to somehow nerf your class into the ground. That's all that's really changing, right?

And bravo, @Keroc, sounds like you got some really neat stuff coming forward.

Indoran'i is back baby. It's go-... Oh.

• Mainly because a Syssin without venom is completely stopped. If I happen to run out of kalmia I literally cannot get a kill. Not it's harder, or I have to switch tactics, because there's no tactic to switch to. Templar and Carnifex are the next two heavily venom reliant classes, but if that happened, you have the option to switch to a limb route. Syssin have no option, the response of "just don't run out of a venom" seems unreasonable, sure don't do it, but when you do, hahahaha game over. I'd like to see an alternate Syssin route if venom isn't going to be a main staple of the class, then it shouldn't be the only way to fight with the class.
    EydisFaerahIshinIngram
  • Sentinels aren't gonna kill you with no venom, their 1% limb damage attacks not exactly super great prep. Most Templars aren't gonna kill you with limb routes either, they're all dedicated to that speedknight strat. Prae/BB sure won't do a whole lot sans venom, either. It's a pain, and it'll hurt to lose the convenience, but it's sort of like your other vial upkeep - if you run out of restoration vs a monk, it's game over there too.

Plenty of classes only have 1 method of killing people, though most are limb-specific, and I don't think it's the end of the world there either. Some classes are more supply heavy (here's looking at you Carnifex) than others.

I will say I think venom rag should make a comeback, but with fluidcache, venom issues should be pretty easily handled.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    ah I wouldn't say they shouldn't to get a little something something either way.
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Toz said:

Sentinels aren't gonna kill you with no venom, their 1% limb damage attacks not exactly super great prep. Most Templars aren't gonna kill you with limb routes either, they're all dedicated to that speedknight strat. Prae/BB sure won't do a whole lot sans venom, either. It's a pain, and it'll hurt to lose the convenience, but it's sort of like your other vial upkeep - if you run out of restoration vs a monk, it's game over there too.

Plenty of classes only have 1 method of killing people, though most are limb-specific, and I don't think it's the end of the world there either. Some classes are more supply heavy (here's looking at you Carnifex) than others.

I will say I think venom rag should make a comeback, but with fluidcache, venom issues should be pretty easily handled.

I love you man, but that single word just nixed your whole argument for that class. Sentinels and Vamps sure. Templars can certainly deuce someone with limb starts. It's irrelevant that nobody uses it. It exists, and it's possible to kill with it.

I'd like to see Spitting remain in one of the skillets, that way if a Syssin chooses to take Venom as their mercantile skill, they can still benefit from that convenience.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    You could say the same about vampires not having enough blood or monks or Shamans or Teradrim running out of willpower or Carnifex running out of endurance or souls or anybody running out of cures.

The lack of a resource is not going to be something that Aetolia balances around.

• IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Do you even play this game?
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    IngramMalok
  • Let's remember to keep things friendly, folks.

Ingram
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    edited October 2015
    I will leave a minute suggestion of maaaaaaybe waiting until something is actually ran through tested and released before we all jump to conclusions on how things are going to work. On another note, excited for all the new changes and updates, plus I saw Cabalists on that list so thaaaaank you!
  • TragerTrager Raiding your underwear drawer.
    I think when you boil down all the fluff of the argument we have here, you're left with:

Syssin have to pay attention to resource upkeep like numerous other classes already do.

Sounds like of foolish to fight over when it's put into layman's terms.
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's go-... Oh.

AarbrokRashar