Lore questions.

Comments

• ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    There's a book IG about Sheine (sp) that may or may not be truth.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    really I thought I knew something vaguely
  • Hey Admin, there is a good event to run! Solve that mystery!
  • HadrakHadrak Dorohedoro
    Azzello said:

Hey Admin, there is a good event to run! Solve that mystery!

Mystery solved: it's Abhorash screaming into a pillow because he's so damned angry all the time.

ArekaIshinAngweTeaniEmelleMariena
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Kinky.
  • read: It's Aborhash screaming into a pillow, because he's the greatest evil feller that lived and nobody is scurred.

CarivahEmelle
  • TozToz
    edited March 2015
    It's what the fox REALLY says.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

AzzelloSollace
  • #AntiClimactic
  • So a while ago when leylines were first coming out and getting big we had locus and focus, both with ties to them. Focus have obviously been really fleshed out and everyone knows what they are, but locus were kinda left hanging. The only difference I've seen between them so far is locus seems to last forever, while focus are temporary. Is that the only difference between them, or is there more to it?
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I believe a focus is a point where the energy from within the leylines (the ylem) may be harvested, while the locus is connected to the ley in a different way. It is not harvestable, but rather has some other connection with it. For a while, Iosyne was trapped within the ley along with Niuri and managed to communicate and eventually escape through a locus.

Didi
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    Carrying over from Small Ideas, I've always thought of Phase as simply a different way of moving that fools the eye, rather than a truly separate plane. Walls and doors still stop you, water is still wet, ect. The activation message mentions intense vibration of the body, right?

I've always interpreted that to mean the Syssin can vibrate their muscles so fast that the eyes of onlookers can't properly focus on them (or something.) So fast that it becomes dangerous to interact with objects that aren't vibrating at their wavelength. So fast that telepathy is even effected, and those living in the normal 'bands' can't get a lock on whatever transmitter allows us to use telepathy.

I'm terrible at explaining my ideas. Understand what I'm poking at? How far off am I?
  • Well, I remember a while back there was an event about a syssin npc that got stuck in phase, and it broke the dimensions of time itself. So I think there is some planar manipulation happening, not just an eye trick. Can't sense them on plane either. I don't think it's a separate plane, but I think you hide in the space between planes.
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    edited March 2015
    My understanding of Phase is that you are out of tune with reality - rather like the vibrations of a tuning fork/the sonar cloaking in syfy or what-have-you. You aren't in another plane entirely, nor are you incorporeal, you're just -off- (kind of like when you whip a jump rope in the air it becomes indistinct and difficult/incapable of being seen while in motion, which while phased, you constantly are). However solid objects are still solid objects, and light is still light - you aren't suddenly dodging those.

Or, rather, just to really add imagery/analogies, You're that jumprope but you're also a dog who can't decide if they want in of the house or out of it. You're shifting back and forth to the point that you aren't really in one or the other - not a static space in between, but a constant movement over the threshold.
  • I once wondered.. if I ran fast enough, could I escape a sunburn?
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    No, gingers cannot escape sunburn.
    AldricKerrynPerilunaArbreTragerTeaniEmelleMariena
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I RP sunburn pretty hard. You'd think as the outdoorsy type Aish would have built a base-tan but the cheekpeel is real.
    Kerryn
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    Could an ascendant evacuate an entire city to their haven at once?

• IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Rashar said:

I once wondered.. if I ran fast enough, could I escape a sunburn?

Apparently I count as a ginger since I have red in my beard, but lemme tell you, if I can't do it going 70mph down the road on my yellow flash motorcycle, you can't do it on your feet bro.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • Serrice said:

Could an ascendant evacuate an entire city to their haven at once?

The number of citizens an individual could evacuate would depend on the size of the haven. However, keep in mind that even the visible npcs are a fraction of the city's inhabitants. You could save dozens, or hundreds if your haven is large enough, sure. But a player isn't going to be able to single handedly save thousands by bringing them to their haven. And even if they could, it could be a pretty bad fate for the people in the haven. Remember, you return to the material plane from the exact location you left it when you go to a haven.
    edited June 2015
    Assuming the physical limiters are not a concern, how many people can be moved into a haven /at once/?

• AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    How come we don't phase into people and apple carts and things when we exit our havens at, say, 4C or any other busy place?
  • At a guesstimate not informed by game mechanics, probably no more than a couple dozen could be moved into a haven at once, and that's an absolute limit, not something that you can do routinely. It gets more and more difficult with each additional person you're moving, bearing in mind that, as a mortal, you are performing a planar transferral.

As for not phasing into people and apple carts, one assumes that part of the process of crossing back entails forming a safety pocket around yourself. You are free to imagine things and people being shunted aside to make way for your magnificence, if you so choose, but splanching is not an issue so far as havens are concerned.
    ObynAngweEmelleIshin
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    I had a question in regards to how time works now. Do people still age the same as before? Like, would you be 20 years old after five new Aetolia years passed? Can farmers now harvest three times per summer instead of once? What's the IC ramifications?
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    I would say as it has been worded @Alexina - Any IC mechanic like age/season/time would be slowed.
    However things like harvesting, logs, quests like ylem mines and the like, resets and cooldowns which are OOC resets, would be howling I believe.

Though if I am incorrect folks upstairs please correct me.
  • KerocKeroc A small cupboardAdministrator, Immortal
    Aarbrok said:

I would say as it has been worded @Alexina - Any IC mechanic like age/season/time would be slowed.
    However things like harvesting, logs, quests like ylem mines and the like, resets and cooldowns which are OOC resets, would be howling I believe.

Though if I am incorrect folks upstairs please correct me.

This is pretty much correct.
    When did the Hlugnic Labyrinth get released? Because I cannot find a scrap of anything on it, anywhere!

Serrice said:

When did the Hlugnic Labyrinth get released? Because I cannot find a scrap of anything on it, anywhere!

Around the time that Iviofiyiedu was.

Were all the leadership NPCs of the Masilidean Order killed off/removed in some event, or is it a bug that none of them are spawning?

On the relationship between gods and mortals --

What's the common person's take on religion, how do they approach it.

We know PCs can and often do choose singular gods as their patrons, and perhaps, pray to their patron for all their endeavors. For the common citizen though, is this the common practice? Does there exist a pantheistic sort of worship, where all the gods are venerated, and specific gods are invoked when something is to be done inside their sphere? (you pray to Dhar at a funeral, you pray to Slyphe for swift voyage and bountiful harvest from the seas, you pray to Slyphe when a hurricane comes, you pray to Haern when hunting, etc.) Does there exist a sizable percentage of persons who don't think the gods deserve worship/appeasement?

EmelleDidi
    Serrice said:
    On the relationship between gods and mortals -- What's the common person's take on religion, how do they approach it. We know PCs can and often do choose singular gods as their patrons, and perhaps, pray to their patron for all their endeavors. For the common citizen though, is this the common practice? Does there exist a pantheistic sort of worship, where all the gods are venerated, and specific gods are invoked when something is to be done inside their sphere? (you pray to Dhar at a funeral, you pray to Slyphe for swift voyage and bountiful harvest from the seas, you pray to Slyphe when a hurricane comes, you pray to Haern when hunting, etc.) Does there exist a sizable percentage of persons who don't think the gods deserve worship/appeasement?
    There are many citizens and NPCS that ascribe to pantheism rather than honoring one god over all others. Many of these NPCs see the strength of all the gods as something to be feared and respected. There are less familiar ties with these NPCs than the PCs would be accustomed to and it is much more revered.

As for the individual rites and ways of prayer, it entirely depends on the group in question. In addition to that, there are more minor spirits and deities that are worshipped at large--the ancient spirits of Dendara, the Mhun spirits, the angelic triad, the ancestors of the Golbans  (many acknowledge and revere the Albedi pantheon, but their daily rites involve the ancestors). 

There are very few irreligious groups or people, but Sapience largely holds the majority of them. There are people on Albedos who once may have believed their gods had died in ages past, but that seems to be changing.

SerriceEmelle