The Oasis Project

AshmerAshmer Barefoot AdventurerLife
Okay!

So, after five months of top secret, classified, unpublished and totally on the down-low work in an underground laboratory sixty seven and a half miles beneath the surface of the Earth, Oasis is (almost, maybe kinda-sorta) ready for the light of day. It's still very much in Beta, but is currently better than Serenity ever was, and I've been very pleased with how easy the base code is for me to update to fix bugs and add requested things.

Now, you might be expecting something like a Frequently Asked Questions, but instead I'm going to provide a list of questions I think you should ask.

What is it?
Oasis is a curing system for Aetolia. Mostly, right now, it cures, handles defenses automatically and has an automatic bashing system that's a step up from bashing manually. It has a chat capture and a map display, while the rest of the UI is under development. It's the system I use personally when I play the game. It has a character database that it uses to track player information, as well as things like afflictions for combat.

How must does it cost me?
Nothing; the system itself is completely free. While that's so, I do spend a lot of time on it, so if you feel like throwing credits my way because you've gotten a lot of good use at it, please feel free.

How much does it cost you?
Anywhere between ten-twenty hours a week and $50 a month. The latter is for server fees and server administration fees.

How do I get it?
Go to http://oasis.interimreality.com/downloads/. Right-click (don't click) on the "Download" link for the latest release and Save Target As (or the equivalent in whatever browser you use). Save the resulting xml as oasys.xml. Create a fresh profile. In the package manager, uninstall all of the packages from that profile, and install oasys.xml. Enable GMCP (I also recommend turning echo input off while it's in Beta, it's sending a lot of commands to the MUD right now while I optimize the limiters.). Repeat the 'init' alias until the system loads. If that doesn't work, restart your client twice. The system will now load on startup with no setup required.

Is there any support for it?

No, sir/ma'am! Not while it's in Beta. In Beta, you can expect no documentation and no support. There's a small team of people that have used the system fairly extensively that can answer your questions in the system clan, though. Please message anyone listed as Developer or Expert User on CLANHELP OASYS to be inducted. (Please note that the clan's for system, PK, and general game talk, but there's no tolerance for bullying, gossip, racial/minority slurs or general outright aggressiveness towards other players. I WILL remove anyone who straight up bullies someone (present or no) or drops the f-bomb (no, not THAT f-bomb, the OTHER f-bomb) from the clan. You have been warned.)

Why can't it do X?
Well, first let's make sure it really can't! If it can't, then write it down somewhere. At some point after we're through with the Beta release, I'll open the development platform to the general public, to allow for feature requests and even modifications directly to the source code in the Git diffusion the system lives in.

Can you make it do Y?

I'm open to it! Drop me a message in-game or a PM. If I can't do it right now, please don't be offended. I have enough to do with it to fill a full regular work week right now, with it in Beta. Write it down for feature requests later!

How can I help?
Use the system! My game here is to make the game and PK more accessible to you.

Will it kill people?
Nope! There've been several requests for skeletal offensive capability for you to build your own offense onto, so at some point I'll provide that as part of the basic system. It does have the vast majority of a target affliction tracker built in, minus triggers for a lot of the classes.

Do you still sell offenses?
Nope! I'll be doing commissions here and there for people I trust and love, but that's the extent of my doing business as a coder in Aetolia.

Why not?

When will it be done?
Before the time is not the time. After the time, it is no longer the time. When it is time, it is time.

Why are there so many questions here?
Frankly, I got kind of carried away.

So that's it?
Yeap.

Cool! Thanks, Ashmer!
You're welcome!

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

SetneMoireanEzalorArekaArbreMalokIshinRiluoEleneGwenithDraimanFaerahJensenTrigruValingarColetteRasharSatomi

Comments

• yeah, don't be dropping no fart bombs while you here!!
    DraimanIshin
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    At the risk of sounding like a newbie, what client is this for?
  • mudlet @Arbre
    Mudlet Bashing System for sale. Message if interested
    Thanks!
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    I knew I forgot one!

What client is this for?
    Mudlet! Mudlet master race, Mudlet R'lyeh!

IshinToz
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    lol they're rowing from cthulhu like they think that anywhere they went could ever be safe again. Cutest extermination you ever saw.
    DraimanEmelleIshin
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Not a good depiction I looked at it and didn't go mad.
  • hahaha java client
    Ishin
    Another question I always wonder about systems: Why did you pick this name?
  • Ash always seems to pick peaceful sounding names. Kaeus likes names more violent.

Mine have to be some private joke - ozone for example, protected me except for the big hole in it. Then it let me die horribly.

My later one, labrador, helped me get around and stay safe, except the times it pooped on my feet.

-
    TragerArbreMoireanIshinEmelle
  • I named all my systems Wilburt, for what it's worth.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

I was originally going to write a paragraph about why I named it, but really I just love the peaceful names because that's what I want my experience to be while I'm actually using the system. Also, Serenity was a half-nod in the direction of Firefly, because fuck yeah Firefly.

IshinEmelleColetteMelantha
    Oh, also, update:

Before I finish getting the UI cleaned up (not fully functional yet) for release and the settings system actually built, I'm going to fix the error I made with the target affliction tracker. After that, it'll be settings and UI and we'll probably be ready for an actual "release" - though I'm hesitant to bring it out of Beta without documentation, since the support structure for it consists solely of expert users in the clan. I'd also like to make it easier to install and especially update the system before that. We'll see when we get there, really.

Also, if you need to reach me, PM is much more likely to get through than in-game message. I have two different characters and I sometimes won't log in to one for a day or more at a time, considering my limited time in the mornings and evenings during the week.

Keep an eye on this thread for announcements regarding updates, too. We're currently in Beta 5.2.2; I'll post here when a new update is ready.

Riluo
    Better yet, e-mail support@interimreality.com.

As I post this, 5.3.2 is uploading to the server. Keep in mind that I'm not keeping changelogs during Beta and changes can vary in scope and impact, so I recommend keeping super updated and double-checking your personal scripts when you update.

• EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    That "why not" question with no answer is bugging me.

Also if I put a system together it'd be called Ciaphas. Advertised as great, actually specced for running the heck away. Also the crafting module would be called Jurgen.

Ashmer
    Eleanor said:

That "why not" question with no answer is bugging me.

Mine is an evil laugh.

IshinEmelleMoireanAreka
    5.4.2 is up, be sure to update - I've keyed the affliction tracker in fully now. Be sure to let me know if you notice any bugs that aren't just missing triggers.

5.5.0 is up.

As a hotfix for those of you using 5.5.0: be sure to create a blank function called ks.engage() somewhere in your scripts. That'll let the prompt fire again. I've fixed this bug for the next update.

• Eleanor said:
     Advertised as great, actually specced for running the heck away.
    So like half the systems sold?

Does it have LIFE AND DEATH too?

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

Ashmer
    Okay, version 5.5.2 is up. I'm sorry for the wait and for the minor stupid bug that caused 5.5.1 to, like. You know. Not fire anything deeper than my killswitch tag in the prompt. <.<

Version Beta 6.0.0 is up.

1) I've recoded the bashing module from scratch. It'll now start attacking again when you change rooms. Do SET BASH without any arguments to see the list of defined bashing attacks for each class.

2) Live update is now functional. To update your system, you no longer have to re-install it from the website and do a fresh profile. While signed into your Oasis account, do 'update' to make it update the xml and .lua modules.

2a) A couple of notes about this: One, DO NOT take any oasys code out of the oasys package in the script editor unless you plan on editing/version differentiating/deleting it manually on update.

2b) Two, DO NOT name your profile Oasys. This will cause Mudlet to do silly things with installPackage().

2c) You can now keep personal code in your profile without having to export it. YAY!

2d) Updating can take some time, since it runs a fresh download on the xml and all the .lua modules from inside the client. If you do this mid-combat, you're going to have a bad time.

As always, please let me know of any bugs that crop up via PM on the forums or by e-mailing support@interimreality.com. We're still very much in Beta and I'm not currently accepting feature requests. I'm also in the middle of a commission, so I'm not currently accepting any new custom work.

Enjoy!

Oh, and documentation is being written! Stay tuned.

Ishin
  • Ashmer said:

Version Beta 6.0.0 is up.

1) I've recoded the bashing module from scratch. It'll now start attacking again when you change rooms. Do SET BASH without any arguments to see the list of defined bashing attacks for each class.

2) Live update is now functional. To update your system, you no longer have to re-install it from the website and do a fresh profile. While signed into your Oasis account, do 'update' to make it update the xml and .lua modules.

2a) A couple of notes about this: One, DO NOT take any oasys code out of the oasys package in the script editor unless you plan on editing/version differentiating/deleting it manually on update.

2b) Two, DO NOT name your profile Oasys. This will cause Mudlet to do silly things with installPackage().

2c) You can now keep personal code in your profile without having to export it. YAY!

2d) Updating can take some time, since it runs a fresh download on the xml and all the .lua modules from inside the client. If you do this mid-combat, you're going to have a bad time.

As always, please let me know of any bugs that crop up via PM on the forums or by e-mailing support@interimreality.com. We're still very much in Beta and I'm not currently accepting feature requests. I'm also in the middle of a commission, so I'm not currently accepting any new custom work.

Enjoy!

Please note that you need to have version 6.0.0 of the XML downloaded for 'update' to work http://oasis.interimreality.com/downloads/
  • I can't name my profile a pun based on the system name? Rabblerabblerabble.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

• New Oasis is really quite awesome, I must say. I hadn't updated since 5.0.6, and updated to 6 just now...the changes are amazing, and I'm particularly fond of the final removal of the useless buttons on the left. Good job, @Ashmer!
    "Hell hath no hold on a warrior’s mind, see how the snow has made each of us blind. Vibrant colors spray from new dead, staining the earth such a beautiful red."
    Ashmer
    With live update and the bashing better functional, I'm turning my attention to finishing the curing (lol y'all thought it was done) and stripping down the UI to a functional base that I can build from. With that and documentation, we might be able to call this a full release. I DON'T KNOW. DEPENDS ON THINGS.

Riluo
    Version 6.0.1 is up.

Changelog:
    Version Beta 6.0.1
    * (affs.lua) Fixed an issue with spamming concentrate in blackout.
    * (bash.lua) Added Sciomancer bashing.
    * (bash.lua) Fixed the bug causing SET BASH not to work with an argument.

** (bash.lua) Added a display telling you what to do when you type SET BASH.
    ** (oasys.xml) Added a new alias, "the feels."
    ** (oasys.xml) Minor change that should make live update a little smoother.