Newbie Q&A

Comments

• Changed color on a channel - my tells are colored, though only the first ( is colored when someone else talks on it. Halp?
    Narheon
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    CONFIG COLOR will pull up all of your available channels and the available colors. Should be able to work out the color schemes from there :)
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • Yeah, I changed the color using config color, and when I send a tell over the channel it works, but when someone else does it doesn't. I changed the color again and will see if anything happens.
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    ...that's really weird. It should configure incoming and outgoing to the same color. Are you using the 256 color? If so, that might still be a little hit and miss. Try CONFIG XTERM OFF, I think the verb is, and see if that helps. Conversely, if it's already off, try turning it on.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    With XTERM off, it sometimes happens with me and CT - people will say things and only the ( will be coloured, but not the rest.
    Asaraii
  • Cmud doesn't allow the 256 color, right? I just used the regular colors that were already there. I just tried turning XTERM off, we'll see. I'm not sure if it was on or off before but will check with it on too. I just spent like 5 minutes putting that into imperian wondering why it wouldn't work. Haha. Wrong window. :< Thank you so much for the help!! :)
    Ishin
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    It's a bug that happened with the changes to xterm. It happens most prevalent with vampire houses. Multiple people have bugged it. It's nothing on your side of things.
    Ishin
  • Aha! Thank you @Moirean! :)
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Specifically, it has to do with whether or not you have MXP enabled. We're searching for a fix on the IRE-shared side of things.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    IshinArekaAsaraiiMoirean
  • Areka said:

And figuring out with to do about variables because they don't exist as THINGS in mudlet and such forever stresses and confuses me because I am a wimp. Wheeze.

But they do! If you've declared them globally (rather than using the 'local' keyword or doing it inside a function), you can access them for as long as Mudlet is running using an alias or script. You could write a 'variable show X' alias to do that quite easily, if you'd prefer not to be running raw script.
    Three men walk into a café, take a corner booth, and wait for context.
    Ishin
    edited December 2014
    That requires remembering what the variable phrase is rather than being able to conveniently open up a list and going "Oh yeah, I used Tar instead of Target." Or needing to go look through other things to figure out what the right reference is, unless you can write an alias that just lists all of your variables?
  • List them in a script.
    That sounds daunting. :x
  • Figments of shadows seem to leap towards each other, coalescing into a shadowy puppet imitating Asaraii.

Why did this thing follow me for like an hour until I realized I could attack it? >:[
  • Asaraii said:

Figments of shadows seem to leap towards each other, coalescing into a shadowy puppet imitating Asaraii.

Why did this thing follow me for like an hour until I realized I could attack it? >:[

It's part of a Halloween area in the Mannaseh Swamp. If you avoid that area, you won't have to worry about it. It's up in the northern section or something.
    Asaraii
  • LimLim
    edited December 2014
    @Areka‌

Naw it's not. Just create a script. Name it "Defining variables"  or something. Then every time you need to introduce a new variable to your system, define  it there. Just put in 'new_var = false' or whatever default state you're comfortable with it being in. Think of it as a list dedicated to putting variables in. And you can always refer to it to see what variables you have created. I have one general one, one for each class I play, one for curing, etc. 
    Ghend
  • If you define them all in a table, ie. system_variables = {variable_one = false, variable_two = "butts"} then you can check them all by calling display(system_variables).
    Three men walk into a café, take a corner booth, and wait for context.
    /nod and smile

ok!
  • IraeIrae Six feet under.
    Hi! I'm kinda coming back to Aetolia after a long while (so I guess I am a semi-nub, I hadn't played much even when I was here?), but definitely not new to IRE and MUDs in general. I've started out in Bloodloch and am currently going through the Academy, though it seems like one of the main denizens for one of my tasks is not responding despite my greeting it (specifically the guy I have to greet in order to obtain my Academy Explore tasks)... I have already filed a bug for it but perhaps I am missing something? D:
  • KerocKeroc A small cupboardAdministrator, Immortal
    Irae said:

Hi! I'm kinda coming back to Aetolia after a long while (so I guess I am a semi-nub, I hadn't played much even when I was here?), but definitely not new to IRE and MUDs in general. I've started out in Bloodloch and am currently going through the Academy, though it seems like one of the main denizens for one of my tasks is not responding despite my greeting it (specifically the guy I have to greet in order to obtain my Academy Explore tasks)... I have already filed a bug for it but perhaps I am missing something? D:

I've fixed this for you, it should hopefully be working now!
    IraeMoireanAreka
    Awesome! Thank you so much! ^_^
    edited February 2015
    Hrm. What would you all say is the best statpack for a Human Nightstalker? Totally forgot about these and thus didn't play around with them while I was in the low levels.

Additionally, what stat can I augment to increase my bashing damage output? (Frenzy)
  • TragerTrager Raiding your underwear drawer.
    For bashing, I liked powerful or resilient on my praenomen. Praenomen, when you gain access to affinity, get a huge spike in bashing survival. So it becomes less about how much health you have while bashing, and more how much damage you churn out with frenzy. The strength stat affects how hard your frenzy hits.
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's go-... Oh.

Irae
    Another question! Anyone know if there's a system yet in existence that is based off the Firstaid curing feature provided by the game?
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Not as far as I'm aware.
  • So, I'm kinda new here and I was trying to harvest some ylem for my city. I've been able to get in from mobs pretty easily, but then I took up a quest to mine some ylem in the myesian run. When I got down there I only found one area with crackling ylem and I try to harvest/mine/extract it. Then I realise the problem with that is I don't have a pickaxe. So I go to the guy that sold me the gauntlet and goggles and, of course, he doesn't sell any picks. I go back to the foreman of the mine. They don't sell them. I go to the duiran shops, they don't sell them. I've gone to a few places and checked the directories there and I still couldn't find one.

Can anyone help me figure out how to acquire a pickaxe?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I've just run out of ideas.
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    You can just do MINE DEPOSIT and it'll work, pickaxe or no.

Lillium
  • Thank you serrice!
  • Sorry to bother everyone again but I have another question and I'm not sure if editing the above post would show it as a new question or not so here goes.

Scidve has an archeologist that wants me to turn over a ceremonial dagger to Trabarg of Enorian off Hwenua court. Thing is, I can't seem to find the court, much less Trabarg. Considering they're meant to be a tutor I thought they would be rather easy to find but it's proven difficult. I did notice that someone said the Enorian academy had to be changed so I was wondering if this was because something changed that would make Trabarg either moved or renamed or redundant or something.

Just generally confused and the item itself seems to disappear before I can find them. I was just trying to find out more about Scidve and thought maybe this could help.

Not too important, just curious.