Newbie Section Feedback

Hello everyone!

Feel free to post any feedback for this forum you have here, and keep an eye out for any quick questions I may have for all you mentors to facilitate in cranking out these guides! Feedback can include things like minor corrections, ideas for additions to existing guides and even suggestions for new guides, but please remember that the forum is still being built, so there are still many guides in the works already!

Take care, and be nice to the newbies!

Comments

• KerrynKerryn The Black Flagon Inn
    Templar is missing as a guild in the Welcome to Aetolia post.

• ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    These newbie files are great, I'm really loving them so far!

For "Welcome to Aetolia" - I'd probably mention that STAT is where you go to see how may lessons and credits you have (I've seen that crop up often). Also add <message> for the gnt-ht line, just for consistency with talking on channels. 
    - Not all of the classes are listed in the bottom. 

For "Learning and Key Skills" I think it'd also be good to just paste the syntaxes for converting credits and what that means in a quick summary form, along with how many lessons each credit is worth (assuming these threads are also something of cheat-sheets for quick reference, rather than the in-depth reading of HELP files). 

Firstaid is not listed with "Skills and Skillsets" ,in the survival section which probably should be. 

These are all really fantastic though, I'm really excited to see the future guides and things!
  • Ok! Added Areka's suggestions - aside from Templars (sorry!), did I miss any other guilds?
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Missing Lycanthropes (Atabahi + Bahkatu)
  • They are intentionally left out, due to the upcoming changes to lycanthropy.
  • Code Resources section, unless Lanira started running a discount, price should be 400cr/$70 not 300cr.

Loving all this stuff though, it's super awesome!
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    Saybre said:
    Code Resources section, unless Lanira started running a discount, price should be 400cr/$70 not 300cr.

Loving all this stuff though, it's super awesome!
    I honestly do not believe that prices should be listed anyways, as it is subject to change and not regulated by Aetolia or IRE.  I think a mention that they cost either real life money or credits would be enough, but not list the exact amount
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
    HavenTeaniPerilunaStathan
  • That's a fair point. I'll remove the prices.
  • From Irruel in the coding section:

I'm not sure if I agree that you described Mudlet correctly. It might support a wide range of programming languages (does it?) but it primarily, and natively, supports lua.

I may also be useful to include that:
    CMUD: windows only
    Mushclient: windows only (it is, right?)
    Mudlet: Windows, OSx, Linux

-------

I'll adjust this information. Sorry for my confusion!
  • New guide up! This one covers the exciting world of roleplay! Corrections or suggestions for additions are greatly appreciated!
  • IvolnIvoln Azvosh Rakar
    Mudlet actually only supports Lua natively, I'm afraid. I'm sure you can hack it to interpret another language but if you can do that, would you consider joining our coding team, instead?
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    Since vampire isn't actually a class, you may want to consider switching it to Praenomen or even Nightstalker (since newbies come out with that in their score from the intro) in the class guide list. The short description next to it could make it clear that those are the classic vampires.
    @Gretel @Razmael @Ivoln @Oleis

Not sure who is in control of what or who has the access to look into this, but when I go to the Newbie sections of the forums I got logged out and have to relog even though I am logged in and going into all other sections of the forums.  

I clicked on Newbie link in the Discussion area of another thread to get to the main Newbie section.  Other then that I have no other information.
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

• This newbie section seems like it will be really helpful for new people joining Aetolia..

I do have a thing tho, but its more about the GAME intro then the forums, it shows stuff like 'Hint' which is white with white text to follow, maybe change it to be a color so it stands out as that 'hint' can be missed (as proved last night when I was making a new to test someting)

But With that the new, Newbie intro and forums combined seem a good part for Aetolia!

Can you cite a specific example in which Hint text appears that way? I just put a newbie through the tour and saw it display correctly:

HINT: Enter your command as one line, SAY DOOBER.

Even giving myself hints:

You've sent the following hint to Ivoln:
    [HINT]: Blah blah.
    Piper
  • edited October 2013
    @ivoln

HINT: As you leave the tour you will have lessons to spend on abilities. HELP
    LEARNING will tell

HELP Learning turns up red but the rest is in white...

same with

HINT: Skills that are greyed out means that you haven't obtained them yet.

As most novices wont know about the config color option most of the screen is light blue or white, having the 'hint' show up in color like you said might be easier for new comers (granted its not that big of an issue just makes people read it all)

unsure if they is any more as I stopped after that as I was a little busy.. also I'm on Mudlet .. incase the colors are already showing but not for me hehe .I'm not trying to nickpick but make newbie lifes easier while doing the tour

• I'm going to add a link to the class combat guides in the individual class guides, so if one has been written and the newbie class guide doesn't have a link, please let me know!
  • I'm also adding sample RP logs to the class guides, so feel free to PM me with any example RP logs on the forums that show stellar RP about the specific guild.
  • I love the class guide ideas. I think you're casting Shamans in a worse light than some of the other classes, though...

I think it would be a good idea to remove "forestal" from the Shaman description. For anyone coming from other IRE games, it means "snugglebunny". Seriously, though. Cut the ties. Refer to them as Shamans, or spirit guardians, or whatever, just not forestals.

I also wonder if the mention of Shamans being a difficult class to master is a good idea in terms of helping our novice recruitment. In terms of setting up basic tactics, it's not any more difficult than dealing with venom orders, or traps, or limb damage. 
    HaernHaven
  • I was under the impression that shaman PK took a lot more coding than some of the other classes (like monks, for example). I'll change that to remove that part.
  • Thanks Gretel!

One other thought (aside from the forestal part): Maybe a new picture? The current one is really nicely done, but it looks like a winged Druid (yes, I obsess about Shamans not being Druids).
    How about this?
  • Ivoln said:
    How about this?
    I rike it. I rike it a rot!
  • I'm taking the class pictures all from the same "library" of commissions, for visual consistency.
  • New guide up: Races and statpacks! Enjoy!
    AngweIvolnPiper
    @Gretel when will the other classes be done in the guide?? 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

• SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    I was just thinking that we could use the updated statpack information somewhere. Also, might be good to have guides on each of the cities.

• Sorry for the delay! The forums went through some changes and it became pretty impossible for a bit to edit new guides. However! I'm back and churning them out. The rest of the guilds, the cities, questing and more are all on the to-do list!

For now, enjoy the newest guide: The Sentinels!
    Lim
  • Also! I'm adding in example RP logs and links to class combat guides, so please feel free to reply to your guild's guide with links you want featured!