Citizenship and Neutrality

Comments

• I'm pretty sure he picked up on that.
  • Actually it was sort of a playful jab at the apathy of Duiran. :)

Just jokes, no need to lynch me.
    Stathan
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    Duiran will always be one of my favorite places in the game, its so pretty and has such wonderful lore.

But mah gaaaaaad the apathy.
    StathanTeaniIshin
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Who cares about apathy!
    MoireanAryanne
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    @Stathan - Only if you allowed Spinesreach to have a say in it. You could easily restrict it to villages/locations that are in and around Bloodloch and Enorian, maybe grow it up towards Duiran and give them some kind of play in it as well.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Stathan
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    edited August 2014
    We just realized this in web - BL and Spines or Eno and Duiran can't even really compellingly fight against each other anymore, due to the change to focus xp gain.
    #2273 - 5/11/2014 at 9:14 - Razmael, the Synthesist
    Changes
    * You will no longer gain experience from focus PvP if the person dying is from the same tether as you.
    So, yeah, the cities really are mechanically locked in to alliances.
    Teani
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Moirean said:

We just realized this in web - BL and Spines or Eno and Duiran can't even really compellingly fight against each other anymore, due to the change to focus xp gain.

#2273 - 5/11/2014 at 9:14 - Razmael, the Synthesist
    Changes
    * You will no longer gain experience from focus PvP if the person dying is from the same tether as you.
    So, yeah, the cities really are mechanically locked in to alliances.

You're looking at the cause and effect backwards. If the cities were committed to cutting their ties, we'd accommodate that. As-is, the change you pasted was simply the best way to support the current state of things while preventing the XP abuse that cropped up due to the original lesser XP change.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    edited August 2014
    Well, as I've said elsewhere, I don't think it's a smart change (edit: splitting BL and Spines, I mean) for a lot of reasons (it'd rip Carnis apart, for one, so I doubt I'd push a separation while Moi is in power), and the game isn't set up to promote a separation - BL, for example, has a far bigger influx of people through houses, and more credits through house double dipping.
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Moirean said:

Well, as I've said elsewhere, I don't think it's a smart change (edit: splitting BL and Spines, I mean) for a lot of reasons (it'd rip Carnis apart, for one, so I doubt I'd push a separation while Moi is in power), and the game isn't set up to promote a separation - BL, for example, has a far bigger influx of people through houses, and more credits through house double dipping.

I completely agree. Just didn't want to invest a small detail like that with more power than it was due.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    It's cool to know that it could be changed if we ever decided to split, yeah.
    IshinAarbrok
  • I kind of like how you're encouraged to join a city in Aetolia. Sure, you can go it alone, but it gives you a handicap in quite a few ways. I think of it in real world terms as being part of a nation. Sure, you might be able to exist without being part of one, but you're going to have a much harder time of it because you don't get the benefits that come from being part of a nation state.
  • Except nations aren't made of 15 people who watch your every move and bash your face in if you do something ICLY they don't like, or that doesn't match their exact idea of what their RP is.

Eh.
    PhoeneciaYarel
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    People of nation states don't get rezz'd at the mirror either, they dead-dead. Comparing aetolia to the real world is Nito theorycrafting but it rarely ever directly translates. Aetolia judges things on a fun scale, and tries determines what is acceptable by what is the most enjoyable for the most people in our themed realm.
    TragerIshinEmelle
  • Rashar said:

Except nations aren't made of 15 people who watch your every move and bash your face in if you do something ICLY they don't like, or that doesn't match their exact idea of what their RP is.

Eh.

Maybe that's just the nation you're in..

Maybe another would be better for you.
    Yarel
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    edited August 2014
    Ooh.

I'm going off-topic a bit, but I never viewed any of the cities as nations. Seems more like city-states to me. I guess there's not really a distinction, but, like... one of the cities in Aetolia seems more comparable to ancient Athens than it does to the nation of Greece.

How do y'all admin folk view the cities in terms of territories, standing armies, language, legislation, culture, traditions, etc? Are they four separate empires on the grandest of scales, are they comparable to feudalism-era nations, are they more like city-states of ancient Greece, or something entirely different?
    Ishin
    I think maybe with factions they'll be more like feudal nations, @Alexina but right now and since I started, I've viewed them as city-states.
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Haven
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    "Aetolia" and "Achaea" evoke Ancient Greece, always fighting, anyways squabbling, nonetheless held together by common linguistic, economic, and religious norms. Foes like the Dreikathi and the Nazedha are reminiscent of the Persians, or Macedon, or even the Roman Empire later on.

IshinArenAlexinaXarianHavenDamariel
  • Yep - all of the cities in Aetolia constitute city-states. This includes not only the four currently extant player cities, but - as examples - Delos, Delve, Moghedu, and Nazedha.
  • edited August 2014
    Ingram said:

Maybe that's just the nation you're in..

Maybe another would be better for you.

Hrm. Well. When I was in Spines, OMG... You could get run out of the city just by being seen standing at North of Trees with someone the Ruling Elite didn't approve of. The whole 'Association Laws' thing was crazy. So yeah, Spines was definitely guilty of what @Rashar‌ said. Not so bad now, perhaps. From what I hear, Enorian is about as bad. Seems like Loch has always been the city where one could find the most Freedom. In Loch, we don't care who you hang out with, we just want you to be bloodthirsty!

That said, If you are in Duiran or Enorian, please stay there! We don't need any more defectors! If you all keep streaming over to our side, we will have nobody left to kill! I blame @Moirean‌ for starting this disturbing trend... :wink:
  • I definitely wasn't talking about Spinesreach. Or even Rashar, the character.
    @Yarel‌ how can you say Bloodloch allows the most freedom, you have to be undead or a vampire. Thats a requirement.
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    We have citizens that are neither undead or vampires. I was living for a long, long time there.
    edited August 2014
    @Alexina‌ - sorry or Azudim.
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Yeah, from what I've noticed, Spinesreach is accepting of just about anything. Just drink some booze and you're fine. We don't care who you hang out with, really.
    Enorian used to be all in a huff if someone stood in the same room as a Vampire for too long. Not sure how that is now, but they've gone from not blanket-enemying to enemying not just Vampires and Undead, but Spireans who've done nothing against them save do Lessers.
    Duiran is somewhat cool, though they -prefer- if you don't hand out with people outside the Rhythm, and don't help or accept help from them too readily.
    Bloodloch have always done the stupid blanket enemy thing against living.

Have I mentioned how much I loathe blanket enemying? I loathe it. I really think it's one of the more stupid things you can find in the game.

• I actually have no idea when this trend of blanket-enemying Spireans started in Enorian, or why it's being continued and under law now. I know why it was there for Syssin-specific, but it really takes a lot of the dynamics out between factions.
    AarbrokAren
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Because Enorian has a cultural divide of 'enemy all of them they're our enemies why should we want them in the city' and 'they're living and haven't -done anything yet-, how can we possibly hope to convert them if we're putting a kill order on their heads if they come too close?'

Outside of Syssin who just repeatedly abuse any wiggle room they've been given.
    I miss the days when Syssin were living-only. I think that was a tense distinction. Carnis kinda had a bit of a standoff with vampire houses, but it's really fizzled into not being anything exciting and more tedious than anything else.
    Moirean said:

I miss the days when Syssin were living-only. I think that was a tense distinction. Carnis kinda had a bit of a standoff with vampire houses, but it's really fizzled into not being anything exciting and more tedious than anything else.

We pretty much still are. There are maybe...two or three vampires in the guild. Four at max. I think there's one noob who went undead before any of us could get to him. Not sure why he did, but it is what it is. All the rest of us are living, and even most of the vampires in the guild have a negative point of view about vampires elsewhere. Like, I know Olethea, for example, pmuch loathes any vampire who isn't in the guild.
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • Ishin said:

Moirean said:

We pretty much still are. There are maybe...two or three vampires in the guild. Four at max. I think there's one noob who went undead before any of us could get to him. Not sure why he did, but it is what it is. All the rest of us are living, and even most of the vampires in the guild have a negative point of view about vampires elsewhere. Like, I know Olethea, for example, pmuch loathes any vampire who isn't in the guild.
    It's true. Ollie really hates vampires. Being a contradiction is really fun, I feed off the confusion of others.
    I guess, but, it's not entirely the same. Same-side orgs can't really clash like they used to back in the day.
    IshinEmelle