The buffalo monitor

TeaniTeani Shadow MistressSweden
This is sort of a sequel to the log @Aarbrok posted called An Engineers request, where the device is handed over to a very surprised crocodile.

-----
Ferrik:
He is a powerful Idreth taking after a primal and reptilian beast of massive size. So massive in fact, one might call him plump or overweight. This obese crocodilian body with pudgy limbs and digits has thick leathery skin of a dark olive brown to green with non-overlapping scales and armoured plates. The scales thin and smooth near his large head with its heavy set jaws, full of conical, peg-like teeth, different in length and size. A pair of distinct ridges run along his craggy snout, starting just before and running beyond his eyes, almost like a pair of hairless brows. Past his neck, a steady pattern of peaks jut out from his scales, forming near-perfect rows of spikes along his back, varying in size down his tail. He walks with the boon of Omei.

Teani:
She is a powerful Yeleni. Her skin is jet-black, but the outer layers have a translucent quality, giving the impression of her being covered in some form of liquid. Small cracks and spots create a random pattern all over her dark body, revealing some form of inner light shining out like stars on a night sky reflected on still water. In general, her figure is slender, but lithe and well-toned from lots of practice. White-tipped hair, fading to a jet black at the roots, fall from the top of her head down to her waist in uneven stages. Most of it is flying about her head as if touched by a constant wind, or static electricity, giving it a smoke-like appearance. The unruly locks frame an oval-shaped face with a narrow nose and alert blue-green eyes. Her long, lean arms end with fingers tipped with black claws rather than nails, and the same can be seen at the tips of her toes. She walks with the boon of Omei.

Arriving to the Northern Tundra.
Beneath a low, uneven ceiling.
A large, smoky cookfire burns in a circle of stones at the centre of this chamber, kept roaring by tusker blubber, incendiary oil and large, splintery pine logs. An entire spitted tusker hangs over the flames, dressed and skun, rotating in blind silence as the spit is turned, and a crude wooden table to the side hosts an array of knives that would make a Syssin blush. Dozens of wooden chairs, some merely sections of log on one end, are scattered across the sandy floor, playing host to the settlement's many hungry denizens. Seated comfortably on the sandy round, this scarred hunter mends her spear with care. The bony form of an ancient Taerilan patriarch rests in a comfortable feathered heap nearby, his single ear swiveling towards interesting noises. Ferrik is here.

Teani throws herself off her mount right in front of Ferrik, immediately sending it away. Her face lights up into a broad smile as she reaches into her pack for a small case, holding it up in the palm of her hand so he can have a good look at it.

Ferrik blinks.

Ferrik blinks again, eyes seeming to register you with some disbelief. "Why.. I haven't seen a familiar face in a long time HELLO!" he energetically waves a claw. Then proceeds to try and peek a glance behind you. "So.. uh.. did you come to bring the first shipment?" he wonders curiously high-pitched.

Still holding the case in her hand, Teani tilts her head to the side to look at Ferrik, then glances over her shoulder briefly. "Um..." she utters as she turns back again. "What shipment?"

Ferrik's mutters and utters a barely audible grunt. A sigh follows as he slumps down somewhat and makes a dismissive gesture, "Suppose I shouldn't have expected it -that- fast!" he finally laughs it off, eyes darting about one last time. "The Chairwoman said that she could arrange a shipment even to all the way up here! So.. I thought..." he leaves the sentence unfinished and simply points at you.

"Well, what kind of shipment were you expecting?" Teani asks, closing her fingers around the small case and lowering her arm.

"Well.." Ferrik sweeps his gaze across the frozen plains surrounding them and brings his claws to his chest, clicking their talons together. "You knooow.." he sagely bobs his head. "I told her the habitat here was.. a challenge to me at times.. not to mention the lack of..." and his eyes enlarge to emphasize his point, "..rhymes with uh.. ruffle-o."

Nodding her head as she listens to Ferrik, Teani suddenly exclaims, "Oh, but I have something to possibly help with that!" Once again, she holds out a metal case containing an intricate device, her thumb shifting over the lid to flick it around and reveal the device inside. "It's a... um, I'm trying to come up with a good name for it, but for some reason I can't think of one." She hands it over to Ferrik with a smile.

Ferrik's brow ridges furrow as he finally actually takes a look at the device, "Oh you made a fancy locket to remember me by?" he notes with some curiosity, waddling closer to inspect the object. "Err.. what is this?" he wonders aloud, poking and prodding it relentlessly with a claw.

"Careful there, my friend." Teani says, holding out both hands as Ferrik starts poking with his claws. "You really don't want to destroy that one. Look..." She points to a small switch below the crystals. "Go on, give that one a nudge." she says, eyes sparkling as she watches the crocodile expectantly.

With a wistful look on his face, Ferrik touches a metal case containing an intricate device.

As soon as the switch is flicked, the device creates a clicking noise and the crystals begin spinning rapidly, creating a powerful, resounding vibration.

Spreading out after bouncing off the shield-like case, the vibrations echo out around you until they finally vanish.

Ferrik stares at a metal case containing an intricate device and blinks.

Staring at the intricate device, Ferrik says, "H-hello?"

A faint echo returns, bringing with it the image of grasslands and grazing buffalo, a mountain range in the background.

Quietly, Ferrik says, "I think there's a gnome in th--."

With a shocked expression, Ferrik gapes openly.

In awe, Ferrik says, "Buh-buh .. a buuuuhhh."

Ferrik flaps his arms madly.

Ferrik exclaims, "BUFFALO!"

The crystals stop spinning and soon the vibration fades to nothing.

Ferrik flaps his arms madly and runs in circles around a metal case containing an
intricate device.

Ferrik says, "No no don't stop!"

Ferrik says, "TELL ME MORE BEAUTIFUL INTRICATE DEVICE OF BUFFALO VISIONS."

Teani grins at the reaction, taking a small step back as Ferrik runs around waving the case about. With a chuckle, she explains, "It's telling you where you can find the closest herd of buffalo."

"At the very least, it allows you to monitor their movements." Teani says with a pleased smile, eyes still twinkling.

Ferrik stops dead in his tracks, fumbling little arms frozen in mid-air as he stares at you. Then, promptly, the plump crocodile falls over face first.

Teani slaps a hand across her mouth to stifle a laugh as Ferrik abruptly stops and crashes down on the ground. Belatedly, she stoops down, asking with barely contained mirth, "Are you alright there, Ferrik?"

From his prone position, Ferrik mumbles through clamped teeth, "Hrmf.. bwuhfallo mon'tring.." he claws at the ground idly, tail swaying behind as he raises himself up on all fours. "This.. this is fantastic! YOU.. YOU KNOW!" he starts, creeping forward. "THIS.. This is exactly what I envisioned!" gradually creeping even closer to you, "I was thinking of such a device! I KID YOU NOT!" he bellows. "I spoke with.. with mister Furor about it at some point. I think." he pauses, glancing deep in thought to the skies. "Yes.. well somewhere in a barrage of ideas."

Teani shifts her head to the side as Ferrik crawls closer, still stooped over. Eventually, when Ferrik comes too close, she straightens up again, grinning widely. "I've been contemplating this since I joined the Cabal, seeing as I have this very very good friend who really likes buffalo." She pushes her hair back behind her ears and looks down at the crocodile on the ground. "And yes! the Inquisitor asked me if I'd spoken to you, which I hadn't of course, but..." She pauses and asks with a small grin, "Anyway, you think it will come in handy?"

Ferrik gives you the side-eye, narrowing to slits as he keeps on peering at you. "You have a good friend who really likes buffalo?" he repeats in a low, grumbling question. Taking a step to the side, the crocodile attempts to peek behind again. "Is Ferrik going to have to... eat someone today?" shifting his eyes around suspiciously, "..or well later, maybe later. I have a busy schedule, it could be a few months later."

Teani raises her eyes to the sky, rolling them. "Silly crocodile." she mutters, then turns her chin down again, smirking at Ferrik. "You!" she exclaims, throwing her arms out wide. "It's you! You're my very good friend who likes buffalo." She shakes her head and rolls her eyes once more. "Have you been up here in isolation for too long? Has it completely wrecked your ability to think properly?" She stoops over and taps him square on the head with a knuckle. "Anyone in there?"

It still seems to take several moments for comprehension to fully sink in as Ferrik then takes a few steps back and stares up at you dumbfounded. "Uhhh.. well it's cold up here!"
he sputters in excuse. "A-and.. and I've been here for several years now! I know I froze up -at least- twice!" he hastens to add in a grave tone.

Teani's brows knit together in concern. "Oh, poor you. You know you can't handle the cold! Why haven't you tried to get indoors somewhere, or return to Spinesreach from time to time to... um... warm up?"

Ferrik forms a wry expression with his snout as he lifts a claw and shrugs helplessly, "Eh. It's a long trek through the cold too. I mostly tried to keep warm in the settlement where possible here. - I've only made a small few trips back to check on things and grab supplies. - Buffalo mainly of course!"

Teani pulls out a crystal, quickly creates a heat vibe. "Um... this is not much, but it's something." Glancing about herself, she scratches her cheek with a claw. "And it's not winter now, so it's not -that- cold."

Teani pulls out some cloth and settles down on the ground. With the fabric in her lap, she starts stitching together a heavy cloak. With a few alterations, she adjusts it to better fit Ferrik's crocodilian frame.

Teani holds up the strangely-cut garment in front of herself, scrutinizing it. With a final nod, she hands a heavy gray cloak to Ferrik. "And that should help for when it does get colder."

Ferrik lifts his maw and sniffs the air, "Hmm.. it is not winter." he reiterates. "..Maybe that's why I woke up again." he muses quietly. "I did find that most.. garments or fabrics I would use for keeping warm decayed on me. So thank you, I appreciate it!"

"Well, now you have something to keep you warm... -er, and you have a small device to check in on the buffalo, if you miss them too much!" A genuine smile spreads across Teani' face. "Was there anything else you needed?" She looks about herself, frowning. "What is it you do up here anyway? There are far more important matters to deal with further south. You should be heading there instead."

MoireanAarbrokTrager

Comments