Learnin' tha ropes

JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
--- Cedar copse within the Ithmia 4:17:0 ---
A smattering of clouds fills the sky, lacing it with spiderwebs of grey. The forest thins somewhat around this point, and a number of tall cedars with their irregular and sparse foliage spring up, in contrast to the prim elder and the broad massive oaks which dominate the forest. The canopy being thinner here more light is allowed to filter through to the forest floor, where a number of large green plants mingle with the ubiquitous ferns of the forest floor. A low-lying wild ginger plant is growing here. A low-slung myrrh bush is here. A purple flower of echinacea grows here, its large stalk straining towards the sky. A green-flowered ginseng plant has been planted here. A red elm tree grows here, its branches gently swaying in the breeze. A lobelia wildflower is growing here.
You see exits leading northeast, south, southwest, west, and northwest.

Terrah gives the world a smart salute.

Standing over a pile of red, yellow, and green ropes, Jensen says to Terrah, "Mind helpin' me set up a ropes course?"

Terrah shrugs, dropping to one knee. "Never done the like before, but if you tell me what to do, I can help!" she says cheerfully, hooking a length of rope in one pinkie finger.

Jensen reaches for a heavy green line and heads for a cedar on the edge of the copse. As he walks, he lets the line unfurl from the bundle in his arms. "Won't be too hard ta set up, though ya might have trouble when we run it."

Reaching the tree, Jensen waves Terrah over to join him.

Terrah pads her way over to you, her hand moving just a moment after your. She flashes a sheepish grin, then grabs the other end of the rope. "Round another tree to make it nice'n tight?" she asks.

You shake your head.

You say, "This ones trickier than that."

Jensen ties off on end to the tree at about waist height.

Terrah twirls her end around with one hand, awaiting instruction.

Jensen leads you to another tree a few yards away. "So we'll need ta tie off two more like this," he explains. With another rope he ties a looped knot at waist height, scales the tree, and ties another one a few yards higher.

Terrah scoops up another rope, trotting to a nearby tree and attempting to mimic your looping knot. She frowns, jerking the loose end of the rope to undo it, and gives it another go.

"So," Jensen continues, grabbing the end of the green rope threading it through the
bottom loop. "We could never pull this tight 'nuff ta hold a person's weight." he explains, climbing the tree once more. He threds the green rope through the top knot, then hangs from the slack. The green ropes holds taught between the two trees. "So we use somethin' else to our advantage."

A quiet howl in the distance strikes your ears and sets your hair on end.

Its tiny wings beating happily at the air, a honey bee dances in on a nearby breeze.

Dangling from the rope, Jensen asks Terrah, "So, could ya tie off tha green rope to
tha bottom knot now that I got it tight?"

Abandoning her own knot, Terrah scoops up the rope indicated, looping it through your knot and securing it carefully.

A finch flutters in, trilling happily.

Jensen lowers himself to the ground. He goes over to the now taught green line and flicks it with his finger. "Tight 'nuff," he says as the line vibrates up and down with a slight hum.

Jensen heads back toward the rope pile, motioning to a tree near the center of the copse. "Tie two loop knots like I jus' did, I'll fasten this end."

With a high-pitched note, a finch flutters away to the south.

With a flick of its tongue, a small, slimy newt crawls to the west.

Terrah gives a nod, stepping over to inspect your knot before stepping over to the tree indicated. She loops her own knot more confidently now, then pulls herself up the tree to make the second knot.

Jensen heads toward Terrah, with the green line in hand. He sends it through the lower loop, and hands the slack up to you.

Terrah pokes her tongue out in concentration as she loops the rope through, then lets the remainder drop down.

Jensen pulls himself up the slack of the green line, making the rope nice and taught. "alright, tie her off."

A small, slimy newt wanders in from the south.

Occasional raindrops fall on your head as the drizzle continues.

With a flick of its tongue, a small, slimy newt crawls to the southwest.

Once tied off, Terrah and Jensen head off to the other side of the copse. Jensen begins to scale the tree and motions for Terrah to do the same. Just below the canopy, he ties off the two loops just as Terrah finished securing the green line, which she then tosses over to Jensen to secure.

With that done, Terrah and, Jensen secure three separate yellow lines across pairs of trees at different height intervals.

With a high-pitched note, a finch flutters away to the northeast.

"Alright," Jensen begins, and draws his darkbow. "We'll jus' attach these red ropes to our arrows 'n make a sort of web obstacle course between tha green 'n yellow ropes."

The skies turn darker as the rain intensifies.

Terrah nods, unhitching her own bow and getting to work.

With that, Terrah and Jensen spend the next few hours shooting and tying off dozens of red ropes. The outcome is an intricate web of crossing and narrow parallel red ropes.

Satisfied, Jensen looks to Terrah, and with a nod says, "Great work."

(Syssin): You say, "The course is set up, everyone should meet Terrah and I in the Ithmia. v904."

Deepest Stygian night steals over the land as the symbolic hourglass empties and turns, ready to begin a new day.

Terrah looks proudly up at the colorful webwork before asking, "So what is it, exactly?"

Faerah and Olethea enter

You bare your teeth in a feral grin.

You say, "A dexterity course, ta reach tha far end green line.... without touchin' red ones."

A moth flutters in from the northwest.

Olethea puts her hands on her hips and goes, "Hmmm!"

A light rain wets your surroundings.

A moth flutters out to the northeast.

Terrah's eyes widen. She reaches up to wipe some rain off of her forehead. "This rain'll make it
extra interesting!" she chirps.

You think for a moment before nodding slowly.

The corners of Olethea's mouth turn up as she grins mischievously.

Olethea idly begins preening her wings, delicately smoothing and rearranging her feathers.

"I can catch any late joiners upta speed." Jensen says, and motions for the group to follow him. He stops just before a horizontal green rope, stretched at waist level between two
trees.

Olethea nods her head emphatically.

The raindrops are coming down lightly, but regularly now, dampening everything around you.

Set into the trees are dozens of crosses red ropes at all angles and directions. You notice amongst the web that there are three horizontal yellow ropes and two green ones. One about waist height in front of you and the other high in the trees.

Jumping up to the green rope, Jensen says, "This is a ropes obstacle course, and we're at the start."

Jensen points to a distant green rope high in the trees, "That's tha end, yer goal is ta reach that point without touchin' any red ropes. Ya may swing or leap from any yellow ropes, but ya can't rest on 'em."

Faerah's gaze settles on you thoughtfully, as she leans against a nearby red elm. "An exhibition of the course, Lieutenant?" she asks.

Its tiny wings beating happily at the air, a honey bee dances in on a nearby breeze.

A wild ithkitten stalks in regally from the west.

A honey bee buzzes out to the northeast.

Olethea purses her lips, deep in thought.

Olethea grinning slightly. "How crafty are we permitted to be?"

Olethea grins, obviously.

Long tail held high, a wild ithkitten stalks away west.

Jensen issues Faerah a curt nod, "Aye, General." The green rope bends slightly under his weight as he catwalks to its center. With a short vertical leap he comes down straight on
the green line which then launches him high into the air. He flips , narrowly avoiding the crossed red ropes, and catches the yellow line with an outstretched hand.

You are alarmed by the sound of a loud hiss and an agitated rattling as a rattlesnake writhes into view from the west.

A wild ithkitten stalks in regally from the west.

Faerah's gaze follows you as you flings himself through the ropes course, a slight smirk tugging at her lips before she flatly says to Olethea, "I believe the use of our wings would be against the spirit of the course, mmm?"

Terrah grins as she flips her wet hair around one shoulder, wringing the rain from it.

Jensen's momentum sends around the rope once before he releases, sending him feet first through several more lines.

Rattling banefully, the rattlesnake glides slowly from view to the southwest with an undulating
motion.

Flecking the darkened sky with streaks of orange and magenta, rays of early morning light streak upwards from a newly awakened sun.

Olethea's grin doesn't falter, though she shrugs her admission. "Maybe. But there's something to be said for thinking outside of the box, we're supposed to be quick th..."

Faerah unfurls her palm and darkness falls upon you.

A honey bee buzzes out to the northwest.

Miss Olethea says, "...Thank you."

Clearing her throat, Miss Olethea says, "Quick thinkers, and abstract thinkers..."

The rain slows to a mere drizzle.

Olethea idly begins preening her wings, delicately smoothing and rearranging her feathers.

Jensen's foot catches another yellow line and he bounces up higher, spinning sideways through parallel red ropes.

Terrah hitches her hands up on her hip, squinting through the rain to watch you.

Faerah's head tilts a bit as she watches you, her lips curling from smirk to grin as she says, "I
don't disagree but games have rules so that apples can be compared to apples and what-not." The winged redhead cups her lips with her hands as she calls up to you, "close call, Lieutenant!"

Jensen fully extends one arm, just barely reaching the final green line. He grasps it tightly, swinging ungracefully from it until his momentum wares out. "Whew," he hollers down to you all, "I dun get a practice run 'n I'm a bit outta shape... but that's bout how it should go."

Olethea covers her mouth with her hand to hide a grin, but fails to hide the amused twinkle in her eyes.

Jensen extends his wings and releases the rope, gradually floating back down to the ground.

Jensen rejoins the group, "I set up 'nother green line fer ya ta practice yer bounce iffin ya want."

You ask, "Unless someone wishes ta give it a shot?"

Faerah's gaze drifts up to the sky, her nose crinkling a bit as if rather unimpressed with the rain. "...I hate nature," she murmurs - more to herself than anyone else. After a moment, her gaze finds you as you speaks. "I believe Shade Terrah is simply dying to try," she replies.

Looking to Terrah, Jensen says, "She did help me set it up."

Quietly, Miss Olethea says, "So long as that's not literal, she should be fine."

Gazing at you, Olethea purses her lips deep in thought.

Terrah looks startled for a moment, but she quickly recovers, cracking her knuckles. "Simple as an Enorian," she proclaims.

Terrah unfurls her palm and darkness falls upon you.

Miss Olethea says, "This will be interesting. I'm certain I don't weigh as much as you, Jensen,
which will hinder my ability to... bounce."

You say to Olethea, "Dun matter, jus' bounce a few times ta get goin' before ya vault off."

Terrah steps up to the ropes course, her eyes following the path of the green and yellow ropes. She tips her head up, looking at the goal, then twists around, starting to ascend the outside of one of the trees that the ropes are secured to, using the knots of the green and yellow ropes as hand-and footholds.

Miss Olethea says, "At the same time, I also have less... space. To fit between strings."

The forest leaves hum with the buzzing of insects.

The skies turn darker as the rain intensifies.

Olethea leans her head back, watching Terrah. "...Though, as far as 'thinnest and most aerodynamic' goes, Terrah's the only one with no wings to try and squeeze through gaps...."

Terrah moving carefully but steadily, reaches the canopy of the tree, reaching around the trunk to pluck at the green rope. She sends it vibrating, then grins down at her fellow guildmates.

You say, "Well ya made it without touchin' tha red ropes."

Terrah gives a grin as she starts to shimmy down the tree.

Olethea pricks her arm with a needle, twice.

You ask, "Anyone want ta try it, only usin' tha ropes?"

Dark silhouettes of leaves dance on the ground between patches of moonlight.

Olethea stretches languidly.

Miss Olethea says, "Yes, and I won't even use my wings."

"I used the ropes," Terrah points out under her breath as she jumps the final foot to the ground.

Olethea wanders forward, studying the set up carefully as she approaches that first green rope.

Olethea tosses her shoes to the ground, and hitches her skirts up, binding them near to her hips.

"Ya did," Jensen admits, before shooting Terrah a cold stare. "I fergot we're Syssin 'n I gotta be very specific bout tha rules."

Olethea eases onto the first green rope carefully, testing its elasticity. Her toes curl around it
as she begins to bounce, and after a few seconds, she springs upwards, one arm held high to catch the first of the yellow ropes. She immediately locks her fingers - and then a knee - around it, hooks an elbow around it, and begins to study again.

Jensen leans against an unbound cedar as he watches Olethea with interest.

Like a waterfall, rain pours down around you, soaking you thoroughly.

Sunlight splashes through the leaves in gold-green patterns on the ground.

Olethea hangs sideways for a few seconds as she decides upon her path; upon making her decision, she braces both feet against her current yellow string, holds it tight between her fingers, and begins to swing herself 'round and 'round. When her momentum builds, her legs drop and she launches herself - like a trapeze artist - for the second yellow string - which she catches, and flips onto to hang from upside-down.

The thunder and lightning have stopped, but the rain still comes down strongly.

Jensen calls up to Olethea, "Good work, but ya ain't dun yet!"

Olethea makes a vague 'pfft' noise. She flips again, grasping her perch with both hands, and uses her body weight to swing herself as a pendulum, tucking her knees up to her chest as she begins to spin heel-over head again. She lets go to catch the third yellow strand. This time she lets her momentum carry, crossing hand-over hand to about face and change the direction of her spin, before she launches for, grabs, and halts her progress on the final, green, strand.

Olethea grins down as she hops off the course and - even with her wings bound - begins to lazily drift downwards. "...Euphoric isn't cheating, right?"

With a slight smirk, Jensen says, "I think I'm tha only one who'll have dun tha course without cheatin'."

You say, "Good work all tha same."

Miss Olethea says, "It's not cheating. You never said I couldn't."

Miss Olethea says, "You said no wings."

Faerah's eyes sparkle with amusement.

Miss Olethea sticks out her tongue and says, "All it did was make me a tiny bit lighter, it doesn't help me dodge."

The skies begin to thunder heavily, and the rain becomes a downpour.

You ask Faerah, "Care fer a run?"

Depest Stygian night steals over the land as the symbolic hourglass empties and turns, ready to begin a new day.

Faerah glances upward for a moment, shrugging her shoulders a bit. "Sure," she says, her voice her typical flat tone as she rests her bow against the red elm and pushes herself to an upright position.

Faerah closes the distance between herself and the initial green rope, her gaze drifting from it to the next as if charting her course. After a lingering, quiet moment the Idreth suddenly runs up the side of the tree the first rope is tied to, flipping backwards through the air to land on it and - with the force of her landing - be sprung up high into the air.

Olethea begins to unwrap her wings, returning the rope to her cache.

The drizzle stops entirely, leaving only heavy cloud cover.

Faerah reaching her apex high above the ropes course, the redhead dives downward - through two parallel red ropes to grasp the first yellow rope, using her momentum to deftly swing upward once more before flipping through the air, her hand finding the second yellow as she marginally misses a red rope beside it.

Faerah swings up once more, a slight grunt emitting from her lips as she scales up the rope to flip backwards, over the final taut red ropes, to land on the final green rope - hands up to ensure balance.

"Good work, General," Jensen calls up to Faerah.

Faerah nods her head at you, peering at the red rope she barely missed. "Could have been better. I truly need to get out into the field more," she returns.

Miss Olethea looks thoughtful and says, "...The fact you landed on that is kind of..."

Miss Olethea looks thoughtful and says, "Impressive and infuriating."

Miss Olethea says, "Standing, I mean."

You smile and say, "I plan on leavin' this up, there's 'n advanced course I wish ta run.... with targets."

Miss Olethea looks thoughtful and says, "...Oh, I should make myself a bow..."

Faerah flips backwards to land on her feet by Olethea before walking to collect her bow. "Before I got heavily involved in the Guild, I used to be a performer... A dancer, a violinist. That was a past life at this point."

Olethea nods her head at Faerah.

Olethea lets her skirts down, and goes to relocate her shoes.

Faerah flips her bow onto her back, securing it once more as her head tilts to focus on that single red rope once more.

Olethea lets her skirts down, and goes to relocate her shoes.

Faerah flips her bow onto her back, securing it once more as her head tilts to focus on that single red rope once more.

You ask, "Would anyone like 'nother go?"

Terrah says, "I'll give it a real shot."

Faerah unfurls her palm and darkness falls upon you.

Olethea performs a graceful curtsey towards Faerah.

Faerah gives Olethea a respectful salute.

Miss Olethea says, "Thank you."

Poking it's head out from Jensen's hood, a raccoon looks out at all of you while Jensen gives Terrah a nod of approval.

Olethea's attention is briefly stolen by the raccoon.

Terrah steps up to the ropes, crouching as she, at first, seems to be preparing to leap as high as she possibly can, trying to cover the most height possible. She changes her mind, however, and instead, kicks off her footwear and grabs the lowest rope, pulling herself upwards.

Olethea's ears perk up suddenly, and she looks briefly inspired as she begins to study the ropes intently.

Olethea beams broadly at Terrah.

Terrah's mouth contorts in a grimace as she concentrates, trying to avoid the red ropes. It's clear that she lacks the finer dexterity displayed by her superiors, and with a fumble, her hand slips on a length of rope that is still saturated with the rain that's only just let up. She lands back on the ground with a hard thump. Only a single curse groaned reveals her frustration before she jumps back to her feet, changing her tactics to try out a leaping start after all.

Jensen silently follows Terrah with his eyes, unphased by the fall or the new attempt.

The mhun's toes provide the assistance that her fingers didn't have the strength the achieve on their own. Terrah's grimace flickers to a smile as she ascends a few feet, moving slowly as she considers each grab and step before making it. She tips her face up, finding herself soon within arm's reach of the final green rope. Enthused, she makes a grab for it, but she throws off her own balance, her feet scrambling and striking a few of the interwoven red ropes.

Terrah returns to her safer position, replacing her feet on the rope they were clinging to before her flub. She takes a deep breath, then pushes herself down, straining the lower rope and starting to bounce it, raising herself just a bit higher and higher with each thrust.

Terrah finally launches herself up, palming the green rope and letting her momentum carry her a bit more so that she can cross her ankles around it for extra leverage. Her mousy brown hair dangles down over the rope below her as she gives an upside-down grin. "I need to work on it a bit!" she chirps. "But this is fun!"

Olethea claps her hands together merrily.

Miss Olethea says, "I wanna go again I wanna go again I wanna go again!"

"Good work, Shade," Jensen calls up to Terrah.

Faerah's eyes twinkle enchantingly.

Miss Olethea says, "I had an idea...."

Olethea calls up to Terrah "You gave me an ideah!"

No longer caring about avoiding the red ropes, Terrah descends the course, landing on the ground a little unsteadily. "I need to go make a quick transaction," she says before offering a respectful salute.

Terrah leaves to the northeast, riding a misty grey mare.

You ask Olethea, "Goin' fer 'nother round?"

"I must depart for a bit. Good work, Lieutenant." Faerah says, glancing over at you with a curt nod. "I look forward to seeing how this evolves."

You incline your head politely to Faerah.

Faerah gives the world a smart salute.

Faerah leaves

Olethea pulls her shoes off again, gliding onto the green rope and stretching to grab the yellow one above it. She hooks her feet under the green rope and -pulls-, making an impromptu bow in which she is the arrow. As she pulls, she leans, taking careful aim of her trajectory.

Jensen and his raccoon lean forward, as he says, "This oughta be interestin'" to no one in particular.

Olethea tucks her wings in tightly, judges her path, and lets her feet go. She takes off like an
arrow, sailing upward past all the ropes and into the treetops. She doesn't quite... catch the upper green rope. But she definitely hits it - and it's the only one that's moving.

Jensen follows Olethea's path, not quite sure where it'll end.

You have emoted: The raccoon leaps from Jensen's hood, scampering off in search of Olethea.

Terrah enters from the southwest, riding a misty grey mare.
She is followed by a fierce drakir hatchling.

Terrah gives the world a smart salute.

You say to Terrah, "Olethea should be droppin' outta tha trees soon."

Olethea does, eventually, begin to drift down again, laughing wildly and covered in leaves and
branches.

You say, "Interestin' technique, execution needs work though."

Olethea grins mischievously at you.

Olethea gives the world a smart salute.

Miss Olethea says, "I'm going back to spinesreach."

Miss Olethea smiles and says, "I'm looking forward to seeing how this evolves."

And done. Thanks for showing up guys!!!!
MoireanIshinXenia

Comments

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    How fun! Use POSE ITEM and some flamed rope to create an "item" there for repeat visits!
    IshinFaerah