Aetolia, Latin and You.

13»

Comments

• edited January 2013
    @Erzsebet I wasn't trying to make a point with the preposition thing, just you seem like a grammar Nazi, I was just having some fun with you. ;p

@Haven I was just giving out a resource for the people who are using latin IC. People want to talk language and rules, I'll talk language and rules, but I'm actually going to talk language and rules beyond a high school level, not what people think are the rules. People that want to have this discussion better arm themselves with information or gtho.
  • @Haven I'm definitely with you, there.

@Ages I have been known to be ah, inclined towards grammatical correctness, but that doesn't mean I have any interest whatsoever in grammatical theory. The example you gave when you ended it in step is incorrect, and the other is not, though the phrasing is perhaps a bit archaic. Seems a bit pointless to argue though, as long as you're not putting it into an Aetolian Crafting Design it isn't my job to argue grammar and it isn't really something I particularly enjoy.
    imageimage
  • @erzsebet Standard written English refers to the preferred form of English as it is written according to prescriptive authorities associated with publishing houses and schools. As there is no regulatory body for the English language, there is some disagreement about correct usage, though there is enough agreement that the written form of English is relatively transcendent of dialectal variation. In addition to being used in written media such as books and newspapers, it is also the basis of Signed English.

Is my overall point with descript vs prescript thing.
  • @Ages And as aforementioned, Standard written English is  what is used in Aetolia. Descriptive English is often not really acceptable in Aetolia as with spartan in the connotations that sparked this discussion in the first place, and with things like angoran and cashmere as I referenced before.

Anyway. Think I'm done with this thread. I've expressed the opinion that Latin doesn't belong in Aetolia, and that's really the only thing that's even remotely on-topic for this forum thread.
    imageimage
    SaritaArbreLuna
  • Erzsebet said:
    ...I still think languages for each would be cool, even if they -would- be a pain in the ass to create/put in. Though for creation we could just let Denaari loose on Aetolian linguistics for a bit. :p
    Oh hi. I have to admit that it's tempting. As is the urge to create an alt that only speaks Latin after reading this thread.
    Erzsebet
  • vidi, vici, suspiravit
  • @Ezrax Har, har, har
  • De Verdigris. :( 

My opinion is that the English language is full of parts from tons of other languages, and I don't have a problem with mixing and matching some other stuff into Aetolian English.

Honestly I also don't have a problem with IRL languages being substituted in Aetolia for vague Aetolia-ized versions of themselves either, example, Lin "al-Akir" from "El Jazira". I really just don't care. It's a fantasy game and fantasy tends to be modeled off a warped version of reality; even when someone makes up a language entirely they often model its structure in reference to naturally evolved languages.

Something that does bug me a little bit is that when someone uses a language like French in a role playing game as says 'this is an ancient language that I know because I'm special' or what have you. It's kind of metagamey. But other than that I have no problem with anything!
    OrisaeHavenEsperAmaraPerilunaValenae