What do you think about AAVE-- African American Vernacular English, being used by white people?

13»

Comments

• EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    Samp said:

@Faerah I've administered interviews where black people were turned down because the employer didn't like how they spoke.

Okay I've been lurking here, but I want to say something about this. If someone walks into an interview and is speaking... whatever dialect you want to claim is racially proprietary, and they get rejected based on this, it is not necessarily a discrimination on the dialect itself, nor the origin of the user. When you go into a setting (say, a job that requires a sit-down interview) it is expected that you are able to recognise and respond to context.

If the things you are saying do not match the expected contextual behaviour, then it is entirely reasonable and not racist at all that you are considered inappropriate for the position. As an example, if you are a melanistic individual and you go to an interview to become an astrophysicist, you are expected to speak in the way that astrophysicists speak, and not in AAVE or whatever racially-based label you want to apply to that sort of thing. This is not asking for "white" behaviour, this is asking for contextually appropriate behaviour.

As a teacher I am very aware that many of my students speak with a great deal of profanity and particular language quirks at home, but it is also a key point to teach that a person needs to know when and where a given dialect is appropriate, which is why we tell them to curb their language at school even though their language is just fine in other contexts they are involved in.

ArekaSlypheAliceFurtum
  • edited June 2014
    -
    I once killed a humgii, y'know.

JSYK she/her pronouns!
    Samp said:

@Teani Can I ask if you think the terms AAVE and ebonics are inherently flawed since they specifically describe dialects of black people?

One theory of AAVE is that its roots evolved during slave trades of black slaves. If that were the case, wouldn't AAVE be originated by black people and related to race as well as location?

I don't know if you have the research background to draw that extension of logic. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong and you do?

MephistolesFurtum
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    edited June 2014
    Thank you, @Eleanor, for quoting that so I could respond to something directed at me.

@Samp: I believe that the term AAVE has been coined to describe a certain dialect. I do not believe it means that said dialect "belongs" to a specific kind of people.

Edited to clarify: No, I don't think they are flawed because they are expressions to describe a dialect, not the people using said dialect.

• HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Oi. This thread.

By the powers invested in me by the color of my skin... *eye roll*

@Samp: Like, I get that you mean well but your arguments in this thread have been pretty shallow. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding your points but the fact of the matter is skin pigmentation should have no bearing on morality. It definitely does sound like a segregationists's argument... except there's a twist. Instead of going "That culture belongs over there. We don't want it! We're above it!" you're essentially saying, "That culture belongs over there. We're not worthy of it! We cannot take part in it! We can never join them cause...well...we don't have the same skin."

That's just... :| It's how you're coming across in a lot of your posts.

As someone who is black, I want to say that I'm not bothered at all by anyone who uses "black words/culture" regardless of their skin color. For me, their intent matters most and not the word usage in of itself. I can understand those who are directly involved with racism or have a direct history getting offended or something because it can stir up some pretty bad memories and feelings but beyond that, unless they're using the words/culture to deliberately mock/harm/belittle/demean the people or promote racism...
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    MephistolesAryanneTeaniKerrynAngweArenTragerEmelle
  • @Eleanor Here's a link with some info about Dr. Robert Williams and the term ebonics (ebony+phonics=ebonics) pbs.org/speak/seatosea/americanvarieties/AAVE/ebonics/ So at least initially ebonics was coined to specifically describe black dialects.

@Haven Yeah, I'm doing the thing wrong then. Admittedly, this all spiraled way out of my hands and my responses could be a lot better. Sorry for doing that thing. I think the original things that spawned all of this (RE: shunt log) were in fact mocking and belittling, and my responses are directly related to that. My basis for this conversation has been assuming people are defending those clan tells, and I think those clan tells were inappropriate. I'm not here to unilaterally decide what's appropriate or inappropriate though I was doing that in earlier posts.

JSYK she/her pronouns!
  • IngramIngram Alaska
    edited June 2014
    Samp said:

@Eleanor Here's a link with some info about Dr. Robert Williams and the term ebonics (ebony+phonics=ebonics) pbs.org/speak/seatosea/americanvarieties/AAVE/ebonics/ So at least initially ebonics was coined to specifically describe black dialects.

@Haven Yeah, I'm doing the thing wrong then. Admittedly, this all spiraled way out of my hands and my responses could be a lot better. Sorry for doing that thing. I think the original things that spawned all of this (RE: shunt log) were in fact mocking and belittling, and my responses are directly related to that. My basis for this conversation has been assuming people are defending those clan tells, and I think those clan tells were inappropriate. I'm not here to unilaterally decide what's appropriate or inappropriate though I was doing that in earlier posts.

That is staggeringly shallow. Haven said the EXACT same thing Mephistoles did, but because he's black, it's valid?

Edit: I agree with Haven and Mephi, by the way. I'm just point this out.
    MephistolesHavenIshinAngweSlypheAliceFurtumTrager
  • edited June 2014
    Yes, a black person called me out on being a racist so I apologized because I've been saying uncironsed things. Someone who isn't black called me out for being racist when I was calling them out for being racist and we hit a stand still.

JSYK she/her pronouns!
  • IngramIngram Alaska
    Racism is objective, it doesn't matter who accuses you. If you're racist, you're racist.
    Furtum
  • Samp said:

Yes, a black person called me out on being a racist so I apologized because I've been saying things that negatively impacted them. Someone who isn't black called me out for being racist when I was calling them out for being racist and we hit a stand still.

You never accused me of being racist as far as I'm aware. You just wouldn't accept my arguments because I wasn't black. There is something a little odd about this.
    Furtum
  • Sure, but that doesn't mean I owe Mephistoles an apology in the same way because he's not a recipient of any of my anti-blackness. I also don't know what "Racism is objective" means because everyone experiences it differently. Nobody is a monolith.

JSYK she/her pronouns!
  • I'll just through this out there. As a hispanic person I don't mind people using chicano or latino language at all. It doesn't belong to me as a hispanic person. I think it's generally good to see the culture integrated into the larger society as a whole.
  • @Mephistoles I didn't refuse your arguments because you're not black, I disagreed with your arguments because I don't think they're sound and they contradict a lot of what I believe and have been taught. I'm also not taking what Haven said as gospel or anything like that. I was an ass so I apologized. He and I can still disagree on when AAVE is inappropriate and when it is not- I just need to keep working on my shit and how I approach that.

JSYK she/her pronouns!
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    @Samp: As the article you provided states, it's still a way to -describe- how certain people speak. It's an expression, a way to help others understand the reference. It does not grant a certain community/race/population any special rights to this form of speaking. Yes, it originates from the days of slavery. Most Sociolinguistic research will tell you that language will let you know from where someone originates and that it constantly evolves. You can follow the evolution of specific words and expressions as they spread out from one small town to be generally accepted in a whole country. My own native dialect is a mixture of my father's and mother's and some other places in Sweden where I have lived.

tl;dr Just because it originates from the term "Black English" doesn't mean a certain way of speaking belongs only to "Black people". It just describes the dialect.

HavenFurtum
  • IngramIngram Alaska
    Samp said:

@Mephistoles I didn't refuse your arguments because you're not black, I disagreed with your arguments because I don't think they're sound and they contradict a lot of what I believe and have been taught. I'm also not taking what Haven said as gospel or anything like that. I was an ass so I apologized. He and I can still disagree on when AAVE is inappropriate and when it is not- I just need to keep working on my shit and how I approach that.

THEY HAD THE SAME ARGUMENTS
    MephistolesFurtumTrager
  • edited June 2014
    @Teani I posted other links earlier as to why i think mock ebonics/selective appropriation is problematic. That link explaining the origins of ebonics wasn't related to them, just that the term very specifically describes black affectations. I'm also all for cultural transfusion/exchange/so on and am a total product of that, but that's still not even what started all of this. My context is Ingram and Senwick on Shunt doing it as a joke in response to me bringing up the context of that Spirean farmer. Everyone agreed it made them think country before a black stereotype, I agreed, and moved on from that immediately. Their clan tells weren't using any AAVE/ebonics in their speech or in sentences, it was just literally for the sake of it. On this thread we've been arguing about AAVE usage in some general way, but this is what I've been here for this entire time:

(Spirean Hunters): Ingram says, "Man, talkin' like a brotha is whack, maaaang."
    (Spirean Hunters): Ingram says, "Stoppat nasteness."
    (Spirean Hunters): Senwick says, "Aaight Homie can a brutha get a drink up in this biznitch?"
    I sent the quit in the same command line as my last clan tell, so I missed everything afterwards.

@Ingram It wasn't Haven's arguments that made me apologize. I apologized for being an anti-black shit. That's the thing. He didn't change my opinions that yours and senwick's clan tells were unicornsed. I'm not going to apologize to Meph for that because it's not about him in the same way.

JSYK she/her pronouns!
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    This whole thread makes me laugh. It is as redundant as flyscreens on a submarine.

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

SampHavenIshinAryanneAliceFurtumMephistoles
    Oh my god you can't just say that about submarines.

RiluoIshinArekaSlypheAryanneTozAliceFurtum
  • I literally lost memories from my childhood reading this thread. I blame @samp for taking Santa from me.

Hey, I don't know you. You seem like an alright person, but I have noticed a very striking tendency to white knight these moral, social, cultural, whatever imbalances you think you see everywhere to an extent that just becomes ridiculous. I can't judge your life and what you've gone through, but I think there's a piece of you that makes you feel the need to stand up to this sort of injustice without ever actually stopping to think about whether or not you're being just a touch overzealous. It reminds me of a PETA extremist who is ready to cause harm to humans in order to protect the right of cows to not be eaten, or something.

Time and time again I have watched intelligent people put forth logical arguments backed with sound references only to have you utterly disregard them, while expecting them and everyone else to pay attention to -your- arguments and references. As if you hold a monopoly on being able to track down the only accurate and relevant pieces of literature out there.

Also, I read your counter to @aren at least 10 times, and still don't get it. I'm pretty sure the line dancing and hooting was given as an example of behavior and patterns that would be starkly different than what was expected of her. I'm not sure where "all of that Texas/Rancher stuff is a hugely borrowed culture from latinos" is relevant, or how that makes her argument a false equivalence.

My wife is half black, half Japanese, and 0% white, (I do gud math) and she literally rolled her eyes when I mentioned this thread and the comments you're making.

Now for my 2 cents into the argument itself, because why not.

In my experiences, people who imitate speech patterns in jest outnumber those do it with any sort of sincerity.

If you're talking about the second, eh. I might roll my eyes, shake my head, and question why, but it is what it is. I understand that my upbringing and my environment and any number of other factors make that my first reaction to hearing a white dude from Minnesota talk like a person raised in some ghetto of LA or Atlanta or wherever. Sure, maybe he was raised that way or maybe his family or the people in his neighborhood talked like that. Or maybe he just finished watching "Blood In, Blood Out" and really wants to try his hand in the thug scene. Ultimately, the problem isn't the way he's talking, and aside from maybe a sideways glance and an inclination to take my conversation elsewhere there is no harm, no foul.

If you're talking about the first, then you really just need to chill out. Most jokes are made at the expense of -somebody-. Just because we accept some of them to be less vitriolic or harmful, or more accepted, does not mean that somewhere, somebody wouldn't be offended. So what it boils down to is your context. It's just hilarious to make fun of rednecks and hillbillies, and I've lost count of the number of times I've heard the classic Asian accent jabs, even in text i.e. 'rub you, herro' (I use it, too. But I also speak an Asian language, understand the origin of it, and have an Asian wife who assures me it's quite alright) but the moment you dig into the sensitive topics.. someone comes along with a giant shining shield and an agenda to push.

I predict that if you keep this up, you're going to take the community's arguing your points as an insult or an offense to yourself, become jaded or bitter, and either quit or isolate yourself. That's just my prediction, though. I'd recommend relaxing a bit. I'm all for defending others, ( I do this for a living ) but as long as nobody is being hurt at the moment, why not let a group be offended for themselves, if they choose to be.

Long winded. It is 2 AM. My bad.
    EleanorIshinRiluoDaskalosMephistolesSlypheAryanneFurtumTrager
  • Well, @Samp‌, what happened after was talk about how a lot of it is done to bait you and piss you off, rather than actually meaning any of it. I don't personally condone making fun of people who are susceptible to being made fun of, but that seems to be the acceptable culture in this game, so it's not my place to pick at it. What is true, however, is that if not this group of people who do it troll you, there'll be another. You need to work on letting things go, for your own sanity.

On a broader level, these sort of conversations aren't worth having on the Internet. In small groups, sure, and in person, yes. But on the Internet, it WILL end up a waste of time.

This last message is to anyone who felt even the slightest bit of attachment to this thread. If you feel the need to reply because someone said something dumb, or you thought the last response to what you said made you look bad, then stop - because no one really cares about it as much as you do. It's just entertainment for us. (Except I felt guilty so made this post.)
    Mephistoles
  • If this thread is being used to troll people, and everyone's already had their say, I think it's served whatever useful purpose it had. Let's close this sucker down.

Good talk.

Good night.
    RiluoIshinMephistolesTeaniAliceAlee
This discussion has been closed.