Seeking Guidance

I have a habit of talking to NPCs and I never really expected to get an answer, so to whoever did this with me, thanks so much because this was amazing.
At the foot of an ancient, weathered stair.
Runecaller Drehos sits atop a cairn here, his staff cast across his lap as he keeps vigil across the entry into the depths of Dendara. A shimmering portal of verdant green yawns wide here, leading to the depths of the Vintal Glade.
You see exits leading north, northeast, south, northwest, and out.

You give a pained sigh.

You greet Runecaller Drehos with a sincere smile.

Runecaller Drehos raises a hand in silent greeting to Arozaria, his eyes flickering back to the sprawl of the great Valley of the Ancients after a moment.

Runecaller Drehos says, "Blessings of the ancients upon you, Arozaria. Is there something you seek of me?"

You say to Runecaller Drehos, "I need to know WHY we take the Oaths..."

You struggle to stay awake as your eyelids shut repeatedly of their own accord.

Runecaller Drehos looks to you from his perch. "Why is any oath taken, Disciple?"

Arozaria runs her hand across the back of her neck. "To make a promise. To uphold something."

A brief moment of complete silence drowns the area in an eerie melancholy.

Runecaller Drehos says, "And why do you seek their knowledge?"

You say, "Why do we seek the knowledge of anyone? For guidance."

Your exhausted mind can stay awake no longer, and you fall into a deep sleep.

You open your eyes and yawn mightily.

You stand up and stretch your arms out wide.

You clear your throat.

Arozaria sighs and runs a hand through her curls. "I said as much, but I was wrong. I don't know what I'm missing..."

Runecaller Drehos says, "And why do you seek the guidance of the ancients from Dendara, lass? In pledging your oath before them, you offer up yourself before them for judgment and, ultimately, for guidance."

( Both Roza and I were really tired through all this. )

"I want to learn," Arozaria replies, with a gesture that takes in their surroundings. "About Dendara, and the Spirits who dwell here." Her hand falls to her side as she pauses in thought. "I took my vows to seek the guidance of those much older and wiser than I... but that doesn't seem to be the answer they're looking for." A hand runs across red-rimmed eyes before lifting to Drehos. "Perhaps I am just too tired to see what I'm missing."

Runecaller Drehos says, "What do you believe they seek of you?"

Arozaria looks down at one of her scarred palms. "Blood?"

With a soft chuckle, Runecaller Drehos says, "And what answer do you believe they are looking for?"

You ask, "The person giving my exam?"

You struggle to stay awake as your eyelids shut repeatedly of their own accord.

Runecaller Drehos says, "Aye, lass."

Brows furrowing, Arozaria replies slowly. "Maybe that we offer our blood to the Spirits, and in turn we learn from them and can call on the Oaths to protect us?"

Runecaller Drehos says, "Rest some. I will not leave your side."

You have emoted: Arozaria nods sleepily. "I've been putting it off too long."

You close your eyes, curl up in a ball, and fall asleep.

You open your eyes and stretch languidly, feeling deliciously well-rested.

Runecaller Drehos says, "Feeling better?"

You smile and say, "Much."

Runecaller Drehos says, "When you stood before the guardians and swore your oath, what do you feel you learned from them?"

You say, "I felt... connected to them."

Looking out over Dendara, Runecaller Drehos says, "When I offered my blood to the spirits, I hoped to learn as much as I could of this realm of Dendara. I have long lead a life of service, but it is not one I find loathsome or unfit. I direct the young to the totems so they might learn of the spirits and partake in rituals from ages long past."

You ask, "Did you acquire the knowledge you sought?"

Runecaller Drehos gives a nod to you. "I did, aye, and more. I found my calling," he waves a hand, gesturing to the valley beyond. "I thought I had known my path, but more came of it from their teachings than I thought possible. More than I had hoped."

Arozaria looks out over the valley, eyes wandering towards where she knew the totems lay. "I wonder what they will teach me..."

Runecaller Drehos says, "Not all the spirits shall reach out to you so easily. Others, however,
might sink their claws into you. Figurative, of course."

Arozaria looks up at Drehos, head tilted slightly. "What of the durdalis? Govon gave me the Oath before I even slit my palms to offer blood."

Runecaller Drehos says, "Ahh, Govon is not a guardian spirit of Dendara as the beasts you swore before. Merely one of the durdalis imparting its knowledge."

With a slight nod, you demonstrate your understanding.

You say, "There's a durdalis at the Core. I think its supposed to help us with Valakris, but... its not doing anything."

Runecaller Drehos says, "Mm, it is rather slow and ponderous."

You ask, "Do you think the guardians would tell us how to stop Valakris?"

Runecaller Drehos says, "They do not know. Many of your elders have asked for guidance on the matter.
"

You have emoted: "Ah" Arozaria voices, shoulders dropping slightly as she sighs. "I wish I knew how to stop it... I hate seeing so many suffer."

Runecaller Drehos says, "There is hope, young one. I wouldn't let go of it."

Arozaria nods, a smile curling her lips. "I should let you get back to what you do.
And thank you... I think I know what to say next time Koari asks me why we take the Oaths."
100%h, 100%m, 105%e, 99%w, 0 BL, 58.60% XP, e- lr,

Runecaller Drehos says, "Of course, lass. Spirit watch over and protect you."

Arozaria ducks her head in a respectful bow.
Again, I want to thank whoever did this with me. I really wasn't expecting a response and it was a pleasant surprise when I got one.
MarienaXavinMoireanAliceIshinTrager

Comments