Returning? A couple of questions.. please help!

Ok. So of all the MMOs I've ever played (and I've played a few) I have a deep love and great memories of Aetolia. I've tried to come back once or twice in the last few years but I've never had the time to commit fully.. but that may change! It's at least a good few years since I played properly (maybe around 2003 was my hay-day) and I have some questions - these are basically the only things stopping me coming back with abandon!

1 - how busy is the game these days? There always seemed to be a good community, there were always discussions and scuffles going on. Has this changed with the advent of better graphic MMOs?

2 - Are there still new players coming into the game?

3 - Combat has always held me back. I'm terrible at coding and a bit stupid to boot. Is it still complicated, and if so is it possible for an idiot like me to be even half decent without spending days learning how to code?

4 - Which client is used these days? It was Zmud when I was last here, I like the new generic one on the site but I'm guessing most people use a seperate client?

5 - Will you be my friend?

I hope I've not been too annoying but I'd really like to come back and be part of the community - if it's not too late!

Prirus

Comments

• IngramIngram Alaska
    Userbase amount is largely the same, if not busier, than I remember from awhile ago. Usually always some folks around. The game is far from dead, and I'd wager it's actually got a bigger number of folks now.

Constantly new players joining.

It's still complicated, but there are systems other players have made that do it for you, and curing HAS been implemented for everyone with FirstAid, which helps a lot. It won't, though, stand on its own against players with good systems, offensive capabilities, etc.

I use Zmud, but I don't know if it's the bee's knees.

Probably.
    Alice
  • 1. The game is far from dead, but I suspect that some organizations are more active than others. So if you happen to join a deadish one, don't give up! Just look for one that is less dead.

2. Yes. At least my org has seen an influx of 'true noobs' who have come from non-IRE backgrounds.

3. Combat is still complicated but it's certainly not the only thing interesting to do in the game.

4. Mudlet tends to be the client that is used the most. Likely because most of the systems (though not all) are being written for it.

5. It depends!
    Ishin
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    1 - Game's pretty busy. Population is probably 1/4 to 1/2 again as a large as it used to be, even during off hours. I know during peak times my guild by itself can have upwards of 10-15 people in it.

2 - Plenty of new players coming into the game. I've gotten three, maybe four here in the past few weeks that aren't from an IRE background.

3 - Like Faerah and Ingram mentioned, there are systems for sale, and even a few on the forums for free. None of the free ones will see you to top-tier fighting, but they're most likely pretty good for bashing at the very least, and low-level/lesser pvp won't be out of your reach either.

4 - A lot of people use Mudlet these days, but there are also several others who use cMud, which replaced zMud several years ago. I know Ezalor and Moirean both use cMud.

5 - I think this one is rhetoric..but if not, maybe? Ishin doesn't really have a lot of friends, lol.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • 1. Coming from Imperian, it is pretty busy. I mean, Imperian now only has about maybe 20 people on a single time, if that. Aetolia, at any one time, can have like 40-50 people, unless its like 1 AM and you might see 30 people on. However, thats not including all the phasers, haven-ers, and gem'd peeps.

2. I see new players coming all the time. I actually have like 4 new novices alone this week in the guild. Pretty happy about that.

3. Combat is still abit complicated but its fun. And if you ever need help coding, there's actually a clan dedicated purely to coding assistance, with people that have multiple client background experiences (mudlet, ZMud, CMud, Mush though mudlet is the predominant one now.) But there are systems for sale and FirstAid you can use.

4. Again, Mudlet is the predominant system.

5. ICly, Zsadist is a bit of hermit and has a very very VERY short fuse, so not likely IC. However, if you need help OOC, I'll help ya out.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

• DraimanDraiman Dr. Drai
    edited May 2014
    I just want to chime in on the combat part.

The most complicating part of combat I've ever ran into wasn't really the coding, but the logic behind it. Can I do x thing while under y status condition? Should I do d affliction if they have b affliction?

No one outside of myself has ever claimed that I'm a great combatant, but I have plenty of fun fighting and beating and even losing to people with just the barebones of coding knowledge. Please, do not read the forums and all of the negative things people say about building a system. Once you start to understand even the simplest part of it, the rest begins to fall in line when you have the logic to back it. You won't be top tier and running around smashing everyone you see within a week, but you might build your own auto basher or a system that is faster than first aid, and I promise you will be very happy with it and feel very good when you see even just one part of it work. There are also plenty of people, regardless of city/guild/order/whatever affiliation in game that can and will help you learn to code

That being said, you can always purchase a system or use one of the free ones.

Edit: I forgot a single word somewhere in there that made the entire paragraph seem stupid. Had to fix it.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

FurtumIshinHaven
  • Thanks for all the replies everyone - it's nice to get such a warm response which actually confirms to me that I want to get back into the game!

So it looks like the world is still pretty active but after logging in briefly yesterday it also looks like it's changed beyond all recognition.

My plan is to read up on the Lore, classes etc again and dive straight back in. I never really expect to be top-flight in combat (time and intelligence limit me somewhat) but it would be nice to be able to hold my own in a FFA or group fight.

So if you see me please say hello and once I get an understanding of how the guilds etc sit at the moment you may well see me joining you as an elderly noob.
    Piper
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    Welcome back mate :)

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

• You might wanna give the official wiki a look as well. Some folk have been working at it and it's starting to come together nicely!
    Riluo
  • Haern said:

You might wanna give the official wiki a look as well. Some folk have been working at it and it's starting to come together nicely!

I will! I think I have a lot of reading ahead.