Trying to use Nexus.

I've been interested in coming back and playing Aetolia once more. However, everytime I try to get on the Nexus client, the screen will come up, however nothing else registers. I keep getting a syntex that declares "TypeError: undefined is not a function. See browser console for more details"

Lost and not all that tech savvy right now. What's a good step by step process for me to go about getting back into Aetolia, and getting over this technical issue?

Also - Not interested in using any other clients other than Nexus. It suits me and has a particular appeal. Not interested in downloading any other client types.

Best Answer

• OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Accepted Answer
    Not familiar with that error exactly, but I can hopefully outline a couple problems that Nexus might have:

- Java language updates and deprecated methods/frameworks might make certain parts of the client unusable.

- Java Security settings due to updates might be disabling large parts of the client. Anything that deals with networking (and was written many, many, many years ago) is susceptible to this kind of problem. Scaling back your security settings may be a solution, but I'm not sure how much leeway you'll have.

- The client cannot handle GMCP, which is our way of communicating with MUD clients. Everything should fail gracefully, but there may be the occasional hiccup.

Ultimately, I'm afraid there's nothing we can do about it to help out. Nexus hasn't received updates in years, as we've moved on to other things. But I do hope you're able to find something that works for you and get back into Aetolia!
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.

Answers

• IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    I dunno what's going on with your client, @Amnar, but good luck in getting it back working again. Good to see you're still around, buddy.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin