Names

Comments

• ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    I'm pagan, and an earth element.  BACK IN THE DAY, I was a bit obsessed with this fact, and my friend who I originally started playing with (not @Roux, I forced her in later) gave me random french words until I found one I liked.  For the longest time I pronounced if ARE BREE (like the cheese?) because I'm classless, but Skyping with people like @Xavin and co changed me to saying ARE BRAY, which I think is closer to what it is.  For the like one person that doesn't know, Arbre is French for Tree, hence all of the tree jokes at me.

Aquila I got when Roux and I bloodlined with Qualnia, who has since been purged.  It's Latin for Eagle, which I didn't know at the time, and still pronounce it horribly incorrectly.  I believe it's supposed to be AHHH QUILL UH, but I say UH KEY LUH.

Lesson of the day: Arbre sucks at foreign languages.
    Aryanne
  • DaingeanDaingean Xanhaal, probably.
    It -sounds- like an angry russian demanding to know the location of his witch, really.

Or am I the only one who shouts your name in a russian accent while threatening whoever happens to be standing nearby?

Oh, just me?
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.
    Arbre
  • I'm not terribly original when it comes to names. Jasline is the name of my favorite Shadow Run character that I play in table top games. And I thought it would be fun to play a similar-ish character in a MUD. Hence why she started out in Spinesreach. Yet, from day one this character had her own personality way different from the Shadow Run one which has been fun.
    Aryanne
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    A few years ago, I used to have an interest in ancient civilizations, and Phoenicia was an ancient civilization based in the Mediterranean. I thought it sounded cool for a name, so I just changed one of the I's to an E. Funnily enough, the Phoenicians were prosperous because of their extensive trade, particularly Tyrian purple dye. Kind of funny how that works out; I never went in intending to make Phoe a merchant.
  • Arbre said:
    I'm pagan, and an earth element.  BACK IN THE DAY, I was a bit obsessed with this fact, and my friend who I originally started playing with (not @Roux, I forced her in later) gave me random french words until I found one I liked.  For the longest time I pronounced if ARE BREE (like the cheese?) because I'm classless, but Skyping with people like @Xavin and co changed me to saying ARE BRAY, which I think is closer to what it is.  For the like one person that doesn't know, Arbre is French for Tree, hence all of the tree jokes at me.

Aquila I got when Roux and I bloodlined with Qualnia, who has since been purged.  It's Latin for Eagle, which I didn't know at the time, and still pronounce it horribly incorrectly.  I believe it's supposed to be AHHH QUILL UH, but I say UH KEY LUH.

Lesson of the day: Arbre sucks at foreign languages.
    Arr-bray is close. If we wanted to get technical it should be arr[bruh], where [bruh] is pronounced quickly, just rolling off the tongue.

i am rapture coder
    Aryanne
  • Evidently I'm classless too, I've always pronounced @Arbre as ARE-BREE.

...Always the BREE in all the changes like wolfbre, lovebre, etc.

HavenKatszia
  • Click some buttons, hit generate, bam. Names GALORE.

http://www.behindthename.com/random/
    Aryanne
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    Do you even lift, (Ar)brah?
  • I had no idea Arbre was a French word and I took French in college. I've always pronounced it ARE-BER. Like how theater and theatre are pronounced the same.
    AryanneSarita
    Slyphe said:
    Evidently I'm classless too, I've always pronounced @Arbre as ARE-BREE.

...Always the BREE in all the changes like wolfbre, lovebre, etc.
    I do the same with the latter, @Slyphe.
  • edited January 2014
    I know if "should" be "are-bruh/er" from my days in high school french class, but I always pronounce it "Are-Bray" cause, screw you pronunciation, I don't wanna.

So, it's "Wolf-bray" and "Love-Bray" and "Mom-Bray" when I say them.

Emelle
  • And, unless my Latin has failed me (which it hasn't, cause I'm effing brilliant), you're actually pronouncing "Aquila" properly. UH-KEE-LUH (with emphasis on the KEE) is accurate for the Latin pronunciation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

Emelle
    I feel like a baws now.
  • Bawsbre Aquila
    ArbrePeriluna
  • Were you talking to me, Daingean?? Arbor interrupted. ^_^

If I'd known I was going to slip up a couple times and call myself Meybitch, I would have picked a name with different sil-ah-bulls.

imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*
    Arbre
    Be cool if @Razmael and @Oleis pipped in with their reasons.
    Aryanne
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    @Arbre: This is how I've always pronounced it: http://vocaroo.com/i/s016VY6SSQSn

• OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Arbre said:
    Be cool if @Razmael and @Oleis pipped in with their reasons.
    I've had a long line of character names where I had a great idea and MAN it just fit perfectly. When Razmael and I were in contact about fitting me into Aetolia's volunteer staff, I picked a name I thought would be cool and he pulled me up. Then he says "Okay, go ahead and namechange!"

.....unicorns.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    OmeiAryanneArbrePiperKatszia
  • I'd decided, before Aetolia was opened, that my next character name anywhere was going to start with an 'I'. I don't recall why.

When Aetolia was here and I suddenly needed to come up with an 'I' name, I struggled. It was too soon, damnit.

So I took Irriqui from the Song of Ice and Fire books, and 'Ruel' from... somewhere else. I don't remember where but it was probably a book. Mashed them together.

The "I" is meant to be pronounced in the short way, as in 'pit, sit, mitten".

It wasn't until years later that someone, I think from that Spinesreach-born ooc clan (Kikon, Atrapoema, some jerk like that >.>), pointed out how it sounds if you pronounce the "I" as "Eye".

I've been vaguely disappointed with the name ever since.
    EmelleAryanneKatszia
    I've always say Ear-ruel.  Something like that.  @Irruel
    AryanneSlyphe
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    One Ring to Irruel them all.
    ArbrePeriluna
  • Who rules? Irruel.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

AryanneEzalor
  • MarienaMariena By a lake.
    I started Mariena in highschool. Marie is my middle name. I added 'na' to the end of it. 

I say it Mari-ena, sometimes I say it Mari-ona and then Arbre makes fun of me because those letters are not in Mari's name.

• AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    Irruel said:
    I'd decided, before Aetolia was opened, that my next character name anywhere was going to start with an 'I'. I don't recall why.

When Aetolia was here and I suddenly needed to come up with an 'I' name, I struggled. It was too soon, damnit.

So I took Irriqui from the Song of Ice and Fire books, and 'Ruel' from... somewhere else. I don't remember where but it was probably a book. Mashed them together.

The "I" is meant to be pronounced in the short way, as in 'pit, sit, mitten".

It wasn't until years later that someone, I think from that Spinesreach-born ooc clan (Kikon, Atrapoema, some jerk like that >.>), pointed out how it sounds if you pronounce the "I" as "Eye".

I've been vaguely disappointed with the name ever since.
    If it makes you feel any better, I've been pronouncing it ih-roo-ehl from the beginning, with the short 'i' sound. Not that I say it out loud, 'cause y'know. That'd be weird.

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

TeaniEmelleArbre
  • So, how many people have decided that my name is somehow pronounced 'Rocks'
    Yes, I've heard this. No, this is not correct. NO I AM NOT MALE.
  • DaingeanDaingean Xanhaal, probably.
    @Irruel - It never occurred to me to pronounce it improperly - I've always assumed it was pronounced as you intended, and the other manner feels confusing to my tongue.

@Roux - Not so secret, but.. I have 'Roux' subbed in my system to 'Rowboat'. But, I would easily continue a conversation about Roux if someone were to call her Rocks without missing a beat, as she does indeed do so.
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.
  • I've always pronounced it 'rewks', @Roux

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• In some parts of the world, rocks is pronounced rewks. SO.
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    edited January 2014
    @Roux I always thought it was pronounced Row with a silent X
    Haven
  • @Roux Had always thought it's pronounced as "roo", but that could just be the french in me speaking.. 

As for Kale's darling name, I'd like to give credit to @Osmond and @Haydyn for their ingenious choice. Thanks guys <3 

SetneEmelleKatszia