Good songs

Comments

• So SubRosa's "More Constant Than the Gods" is bloody amazing, and I'm ashamed that I've just gotten around to listening to the full thing.

The whole album is so much more immediate than 2011's No Help For the Might Ones (an album I loved). I listen to More Constant at least twice every time I put it on.
    Moirean
  • Stargazer by Rainbow, nuff said. 

Mireia
  • I see your Rainbow and raise you a "Rainbow in the Dark."

\m/ Dio.

"Die Young"

TralendarNolaCannan
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    @Mireia: Not to put down Dio, cause I've listened to that kind of music for a very long time, but this is a very good cover of that one.

• edited January 2014
    Been moody lately. Here's what I listen to when I get that way.

How to Destroy Angels - How Long

††† (Crosses) - This is a Trick

Windhand - Woodbine

Moirean
  • edited January 2014
    Indian - "Directional" -- comes out next week, is pretty rad. Slow and sludgy as a... a link that won't show up...

Cannan
  • Austin Wintory is probably one of my favorite composers in the past year or so. His work on Journey really caught me and with his work on the now released Banner Saga? I'm just absolutely in love all over again. I got the soundtrack off bandcamp, but I am dying to get a signed physical copy down the road like I did with Jeremy Soule's The Elder Scrolls IV: Skyrim and Guild Wars 2 soundtracks. I absolutely love the soundtrack for The Banner Saga. Of Our Bones, The Hills is such an amazing track. It's 10 minutes long and I can't get over how awesome it is.

Moirean
  • edited January 2014
    Mireia said:
    Indian - "Directional" -- comes out next week, is pretty rad. Slow and sludgy as a... a link that won't show up...

I am so stupid stoked for this album.
    Mireia
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    edited January 2014

Shoot. I can't seem to embed.

Everyday is Halloween by Ministry

Kayleigh and Lavender by Marillion

And, a personal all time favorite band forever and ever and ever... GOBLIN! One of my favorite subgenres of movies is giallo, mostly 1970s Italian detective, and foreign horror movies. Usually the sort you'd see with older Dario Argento movies. A lot of his older stuff was backed by Goblin:

Suspira by Goblin (One of my favorite movies. You might recognize some elements that the Clocktower game series found inspiration from)

Tenebre by Goblin

• Ooh, Piper likes giallo! Have some Ghost!

Ghost B.C. - Secular Haze

Ghost B.C. - Year Zero

Also Suspiria kicks ass.

PiperMireiaMoirean
  • @Piper I saw Ministry a couple years ago. I was the one shouting "Every Day is Halloween!" They didn't play it. Stupid Al Jerk-inson.

@Cannan I saw Ghost last year. I was the one hailing satan. The most, I mean.

Since Ghost toured with Skeletonwitch, have some Skeletonwitch:

PiperCannan
    Mireia said:
    @Piper I saw Ministry a couple years ago. I was the one shouting "Every Day is Halloween!" They didn't play it. Stupid Al Jerk-inson.

That is just the worst. They should always play that song!
  • @Mireia I got to see Skeletonwitch at a tiny club in Atlanta called 529. There were like, twenty people there total, and Skeletonwitch absolutely leveled the place. Some of the most fun I've ever had at a show. They introduced almost every song by screaming, "This next one is a song about SAAAAAAAAAATAAAAAAAAAN!" Gotta respect guys that have fun with their music.

Mireia
  • Skeletonwitch is a must-see live show. I've been lucky enough to catch them a couple of times, big and small settings. I am all about it. Since you mentioned ATL, I saw Big Biz/Zoroaster/Mouth of the Architect there some years ago at a club called The Drunken Unicorn. All around, a wonderful, whiskey-soaked time. Georgia has most of the best metal to be had. Even though I've seen them a bunch, the very last Mastodon show I saw blew my mind. That and mushrooms. But mostly the awesomeness of Mastodon. 

I was also at this show. I spilled beer on some kid:

And I am at every Melvins show, also, fwiw. All of them. Everywhere.

Except this one:

I live down the street from this park. But I was at work. I saw their show later that night, anyway.
    Cannan
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I love how the language filter made me snicker at the name of that club, @Mireia. It got me wondering what was filtered out now. We need more clubs with names like The Drunken Unicorn!

• I wasn't even swearing! :D

Piper
    I seriously want an IG 'The Drunken Unicorn' bar in Aetolia. It'd be like Rhode Island's 'The Drunken Clam' only more provocative.
    PerilunaTeani
  • Teani said:
    I love how the language filter made me snicker at the name of that club, @Mireia. It got me wondering what was filtered out now. We need more clubs with names like The Drunken Unicorn!

I practically lived at the Drunken Unicorn for a year and a half. lolling heartily right now.
    Mireia
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Hot damn.

¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    TeaniDraimanMoirean
  • SetneSetne The Grand Tyrant
    edited January 2014
    Eisley - Combinations

Jay Electronica - Exhibit A

Local Natives - Warning Sign

Ingram said:
    "Oh my arms are suddenly lubed"
    PiperMoirean
  • edited January 2014
    Been listening to a lot of fuzzed-out stoner doom lately. Have some.

Witch - Seer

Bongripper - Satan

Electric Wizard - Funeralopolis

Funeralopolis is one of the heaviest songs in existence. The way that slithering opening riff builds into a frenetic train wreck by the end still gives me chills every time I hear it. Plus there's a picture of Satan smoking a bong on the cover, which is awesome.
    Mireia
  • @Cannan DOOM all day! Electric Wizard is so fucking good. Heaviest band in the universe. That whole record is great. Thanks for sharing Witch... I'd never heard this... Witchbanger, Witchcraft, etc., yeah.

Here's the eponymous song from another record I don't ever want to stop listening to:
    Diesto, "High as the Sun"

Or, for fun, Crowbar, some good old fashioned NOLA sludge (and even better when viewed by B&B):

THIS BAND IS SLOW AND FAT.
    Cannan
  • The best part about that Beavis and Butthead clip is that the stuff they said about the band is stuff Kirk would probably say himself. Saw them with COC years ago and all he did was talk smack about how fat he was. It was pretty magical.
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life

I've been on a post-rock kick lately.

Artist - Album

This Will Destroy You - This Will Destroy You

The Best Pessimist - I Just Want To Be Your Everything

I Am Waiting For You Last Summer - Edge Party

Hands of the Templar - Hands of the Templar (this album is particularly OP)

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

Cannan
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    edited January 2014
    Some mellow songs:

Hungry Ghosts - I don't think about you anymore, but I don't think about you anyless

Lucia - Me Over You

Bebe - Siempre Me Quedara

St. Vincent - Cruel

PJ Harvey - On Battleship Hill

Ween - Cold Blows the Wind

Cannan
    @Moirean - I totally abuse that song by Hungry Ghosts whenever sad mourning RP pops up. Nice one!
    Moirean
  • SetneSetne The Grand Tyrant
    I want to link an entire album by a band called Ortolan, but I can't find it on youtube. If anyone uses Spotify, they can find them on there. They're more folk/Celtic/Breton-sy.

Ingram said:
    "Oh my arms are suddenly lubed"
  • edited January 2014
    Super eclectic mix today.

Birdy Nam Nam - Jaded Future

Deftones - You've Seen the Butcher
    This video is hilarious in its sincerity. Chino is such a pimp.

Purity Ring - Belispeak
    Thanks @Piper, for reminding me this band exists.

Horn of the Rhino - Speaking in Tongues
    The vocals on this track rule. Wait for it.

Russian Circles - Memorial
    Some of my favorite new post-rock for @Ashmer

Moirean
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life

I'm about 15 seconds into that Russian Circles EP, and all I can say is:

Dude.

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine