Endgame race lore

2»

Comments

• HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    I think we're fine as is with the three races being the common endgame themes. If we're going to add more races, I think the themes should be uniquely tied to great feats and events that come around every so often. Or alternatively, as the ultimate gift from the Divine to their Order members.

I always thought it was cool that various divine made various races like with Galleus' grecht, Iosyne's driders, Arion's trolls, Khepri's imps, etc. Why not reserve special endgame races for their most and esteemed devout followers?

Oh, what's that you say? You stole the Luminary Great Spark and bathed the Beacon in darkness? I'm going to make you pretty now: *Chakrasul transforms (person) into Nazedha*

Oh, ho ho ho! You managed to exterminate the Great Tree of Dendara in Duiran? I have present for you: *Ivoln transforms (person) into Sand Wyrm*

Amg, you've restored the World Tree back to its former glory? Let me touch you. I promise it won't be like the last time with the alcohol: *Haern transforms (person) into Elder Life Spirit thing*

The list goes on. And the events don't even necessarily need to be world shattering but it should be left to the discretion of the god.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    AmaraOrisaeDourif
  • DaingeanDaingean Xanhaal, probably.
    edited December 2012
    I will never, ever, ever, agree that there's such a thing as too much polarity in Aetolia.

It's light versus darkness, and the argument that there needs to be fewer lines in the sand will never hold water for me.

With regards to endgame race options, I'd really like to see there be a bit more diversity, other than just the three current choices, but that's just because I always like having options. I still feel that the 'opinion of old' that had Yeleni on one side and Azudim on the other was a good flavor - and I'd totally and completely support a racial choice that can't be anything but exactly what it is - spirit and shadow, respectively. If everyone is gonna take the existing races and throw mud all over them until it's entirely only worth going endgame for the mechanical advantage, I'd like an option that suits my desire -not- to do that.
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.
    AlistairePhoeneciaSeirXavinAzraelArbreArekaAlexinaAmaraLinLuna
  • Let me ask you this: What was the point of the races originally, and what is the point of them now?

What we have to understand is that for as much as we players might complain about Aetolia being a static sort of world, where it is very hard to have a real, lasting impact on the environment, the concepts and roleplay are fluid enough that change -can- happen and not be completely admin driven. Look at the Syssin and their overhaul for a good example. Or any other guild that has had a successful facelift that was driven by players.

With concepts like races, I feel like that sort of change is all the easier to bring about, especially now that the admin have 0 part in endgame mechanics from the player end - unless you want to change your race after you have picked it. Then you have to go to an admin.

• KiyotanKiyotan spectacular vernacular Summit of the Falconmount
    Daingean said:
    This, basically. The hipsters overran the regular folk, and it ruined everything.
    I was Yeleni before it was cool.
    Some may say we've lost our way, but I believe we've not gone far enough.
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Daingean said:
    I will never, ever, ever, agree that there's such a thing as too much polarity in Aetolia.

It's light versus darkness, and the argument that there needs to be fewer lines in the sand will never hold water for me.

With regards to endgame race options, I'd really like to see there be a bit more diversity, other than just the three current choices, but that's just because I always like having options. I still feel that the 'opinion of old' that had Yeleni on one side and Azudim on the other was a good flavor - and I'd totally and completely support a racial choice that can't be anything but exactly what it is - spirit and shadow, respectively. If everyone is gonna take the existing races and throw mud all over them until it's entirely only worth going endgame for the mechanical advantage, I'd like an option that suits my desire -not- to do that.
    I gotta ask. We already have cities to define the Undeath versus Life conflict. Hell, it's even seeped into our Orders and our guilds (and for a lot of people their personal RP too.) How would race enhance the conflict at all? It's not so much about asking to draw fewer lines in the sand as it is about asking that the lines be drawn somewhere else. It was a good decision in my opinion to remove the Undeath versus Life conflict from the races.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    LinSaybrePhoeneciaAmara
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    I'm still all over Order races.  I'd be willing to change my desc to be Aure's pet.
  • I also want order races, even if they're just a thing that changes what you look like, or a sub-group of whatever. 'She is an Ignan Azudim' or 'He is an Aquan Yeleni'. Just something fun that gods could do to reward order members.

OrisaeKonnorn
  • edited December 2012

Trash Azudim and Yeleni and start over.

Whoops, hit submit too quickly!

Meant to add - I like the idea of order/city/guild specific end game races.

• Azrael said:

Trash Azudim and Yeleni and start over.

Whoops, hit submit too quickly!

Meant to add - I like the idea of order/city/guild specific end game races.

hmm from my experience this tends to cause alot of general drama and issues to come up. Things like "why is their endgame race cooler" "why does he get to keep it since he quit?" "Why dont I get to keep it even though I quit?" etc. etc.