Help Files

Macavity said:
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  annoyed that HELP files are not updated in game!!  Seriously, how are we, as a community, suppose to have new players if the information they are reading in HELP files are not correct??  
I totally agree! This thread is for anyone to point out help files that are erroneous or could use adjustment. If you have any suggestions, please post here.

i am rapture coder
Tabitha

Comments

• MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    yeah there are TONS!!   I will add them here over time as I find them.  To be honest its gotten so bad that in the past years in most cases I just stopped looking at most help files because of how out of date they are.  Here are a couple...

HELP UNDEAD SKILLS - Teradrim still reference Sand and Earth 
    HELP LIVING SKILLS - Sentinels still references woodlore and toxicology (I know this was released recently but still needs updating)
    HELP 23 (the artifact scrolls) - I suggest a total revamp of them all.  However the Teradrim class has nothing in its file
    HELP SIGILS --  =)
    HELP CURES reanimation/concoctions - the affliction burnt_skin is no where to be found, did not even know this was an affliction till I heard it on an OOC clan
    HELP PORTALS - has no reference to the new PORTAL CITY or PORTAL GUILD

thats all that comes to mind just off the top of my head.  there are many many more, and in the future I will use this to report them.  thanks!

Here is a suggestion, as there are many and I am sure there are not a lot of you in the Pools that can devote the time to fix them all.  Create a new group like the Crafters Guild, where a select few are allowed in, and the player base can make changes to the help files as needed, but also requires 3 approvals in order for the game to take the change, or a Pool approval, which ever.  This way they can be changed and updated on a regular basis 
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    I already sent a message, but all the 'HELP ARTIFACTS' files haven't really been updated much with the addition of new stuff.
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    edited December 2013
    HELP UNDEADHOUSES is completely outdated. Major and minor house status doesn't exist anymore, and neither does the Imperium. While it mentions the Dominion, the majority of the commands listed for the Dominion don't actually work.
    also RITUALLIST and SHOWRITUAL (ritual name)  can all of those be updated to what the skills actually do now for the BB. 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

• PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    HELP CRAFTING REFERENCES could stand to be updated with some of the newer crafting nouns for some items that were referred to in Crafters news post 212.
    • Books: manual, sketchbook
    • Rack: stand
    • Necklace: pectoral
    • Charm: trinket
    • Pauldrons: spaulders

Also, I'm pretty sure there was a help file before that told you how many things you could wear in each wear location for clothing/accessories, but I'm not sure what happened to it. Having it would be extremely useful instead of having to guess how many things you can wear in what place.

• Right! Getting started.

Tweaked LIVINGSKILLS and UNDEADSKILLS, created (probably kinda sloppy) help files for Desiccation, Tracking, etc. I'll attack this some more after work.

i am rapture coder
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Could a reference or information be added to HELP ORGHELP about the [[]] linking nonsense? 
  • In HELP GODS, list what "side" the gods are aligned to?

Would help me a lot, personally.
  • edited December 2013
    Solus said:
    In HELP GODS, list what "side" the gods are aligned to?

Would help me a lot, personally.
    That one's tricky. You have to remember that the Gods are player characters too - although we try to keep it set up so that there's a balance between Spirit and Shadow gods, there are a lot of shades of grey. Omei, for instance, is probably the closest thing the Spirit side has to an evil Goddess, whereas the Shadow side has Maghak, who isn't actually all that bad, but he's lumped into that side because he protects Spirean interests.

The point is that I don't think listing their sides would be useful. It's not a subject closed to debate, though.

i am rapture coder
  • Just wanted to throw another thing out there - I've got a few projects on my hands, so my work on help files might be a little slow. Don't, by any means, assume I'm ignoring you guys. You have all been very helpful!

i am rapture coder
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    Yea, when Dask was between gods, if Maghak had been on the Life side Dask totally would of gone Maghak. His ideals fit Dask pretty well, but he's Spirean so ew cooties.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

NeithanAngwe
  • 23.3.5 Cryptic Chests

* 3-6 Grimstin pills

^^ I typoed that a few week ago... for when you update that help scroll ...

• KerrynKerryn The Black Flagon Inn
    For the help file HELP TETHERING, could we get a slight rewording, please?

It's very misleading to new players. Often they see the word 'neutral' and assume the guilds are neutral. When in fact the -guilds- are the furthest thing from neutral.

I suggest instead of using the word 'neutral' that the word 'untethered' be used. I feel this will help with much of the confusion.

• DaingeanDaingean Xanhaal, probably.
    From HELP RACESKILLS:

Satiation:
      - Gives the player access to the satiation skill in Survival. Read AB SELFISHNESS SATIATION for more information.
      - Syntax: SATIATION

Typo'd it too.
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    HELP MARRIAGE is, quite possibly, the stupidest scroll I have ever read.
  • Arbre said:
    It's a pretty bad scroll. Should probably have help marriage redirect to help unity and then have a 'see also help engagement' appended to the bottom of that.

• Phoenecia said:
    HELP CRAFTING REFERENCES could stand to be updated with some of the newer crafting nouns for some items that were referred to in Crafters news post 212.
    • Books: manual, sketchbook
    • Rack: stand
    • Necklace: pectoral
    • Charm: trinket
    • Pauldrons: spaulders

Also, I'm pretty sure there was a help file before that told you how many things you could wear in each wear location for clothing/accessories, but I'm not sure what happened to it. Having it would be extremely useful instead of having to guess how many things you can wear in what place.

First part regarding references has been updated, that's my bad for not doing it immediately after release! The second part would be very useful I imagine, so I'm looking into that.

Areka said:
    Could a reference or information be added to HELP ORGHELP about the [[]] linking nonsense? 
    You've got it ma'am!

Azton said:
    23.3.5 Cryptic Chests

* 3-6 Grimstin pills

^^ I typoed that a few week ago... for when you update that help scroll ...

This has been fixed too. Whoooops.

Kerryn said:
    For the help file HELP TETHERING, could we get a slight rewording, please?

It's very misleading to new players. Often they see the word 'neutral' and assume the guilds are neutral. When in fact the -guilds- are the furthest thing from neutral.

I suggest instead of using the word 'neutral' that the word 'untethered' be used. I feel this will help with much of the confusion.

You raise a very good point here! Untethered is a bit more neutral, so I swapped that out. Good catch!

Daingean said:
    From HELP RACESKILLS:

Satiation:
      - Gives the player access to the satiation skill in Survival. Read AB SELFISHNESS SATIATION for more information.
      - Syntax: SATIATION

Typo'd it too.
    We're actually turning selfishness into a skillset, we were wondering how long it would be until somebody caught that! I eagerly await a skillset based entirely upon being a snobby jerk.

..Just kidding, fixed.

Arbre said:

I'm going to hold off on fixing this just to taunt you.

ArekaJaslineOmei
    in HELP CURES REANIMATION  the last cure in the Lung tree is called earthrot where in HELP CURES CONCOCTIONS its labeled as sandrot.  In affliction view it comes up as sandrot.  

Can either earthrot be changed to sandrot, or the other way around so it is consistent across the board please.
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

• edited December 2013
    HELP UNDEAD SKILLS
    HELP LIVING SKILLS

Fixed Teradrim and Sentinel references. Added or changed files where appropriate.

HELP PORTALS

Removed some of the fluff and made it more informative. Added references to the new PORTAL CITY/GUILD commands.

HELP CRAFTING REFERENCES

Slyphe-dawg added references. I widened the help file a little and cleaned up the formatting.

HELP GODS

I threw you a bone, @Solus, and gave HELP GODS a new coat of paint. The new file will give new players an at-a-glance idea of who they should and shouldn't worship without imposing tricky morals.

Also, put Niuri in her proper place in HELP 11.

HELP CURES REANIMATION

Fixed earthrot. Rotting the earth is the exclusive right of @Ivoln.

i am rapture coder
    Macavity
  • SessizlikSessizlik Muffin Mage
    Omei said:
    HELP GODS

The following Gods existed in one form another at some point in Aetolia's history, but have either deceased, or changed so as to become unrecognizable.

I think you missed a word in there. "In one form OR another". :) Love the new layout.

• Fixed. Don't mind me, Omei's been hittin' that holiday egg nog.

i am rapture coder
    HavenTeani
  • [HINT]: You are now entering the 'the Isle of Delos' area. This is a player-run city.

So..when can I gain citizenship? Teneric is awesome.
    ArekaTeaniArbre
    Could the vast multitude of artifact helps be added to the bottom of HELP ARTIFACTS? properties, stat boosting, misc, defensive, weaponry, and so on. They're a bit unwieldy right now and it isn't always clear where to go to find things (like spirit_anchor, thank you @saybre)
    Arbre
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    HELP ARTIFACT POWERS is also out of date (as may be other artifact help files). I keep wanting to get dstab speed whenever I read it. :(
    Jensen
    In HELP MINIPET LIST, spider has a typo: a miniature pulsating sipder (60 Iron Coins).
    And the snowmen has not yet been added.

• Reported 2013/12/25 19:12:32 by Saybre
    Log:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Description:
        HELP MINIPET LIST - a miniature pulsating sipder (60 Iron Coins) - Pretty sure that should be 'spider'

Beat ya to it Sessi. :P
  • Fix't.

i am rapture coder
    Arbre
    Also, the wailing spirit pet is missing a zero in the price. Got a bit of a shock when I went there. <.<
    HELP REST
    HELP HUNGER
    HELP SOBRIETY
    HELP CLOTHING

Can all these help files (some are not created) have their ranks from STAT added to them, so we know what they are, and new players will know as well.  
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Can we get a HELP MINISKILLRANKS, the same as HELP SKILLRANKS but for minis? 
    Ferrik