Ferrik gets the keys to the city

MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
Ferrik likes eating his assistants and filling Moi's office with toy balls. He deserves some punishment. Or something.
-----------------------
Ferrik:
He is a typical Tekal resembling a primal Xoran of a pale and ghostly white, with a large and lean frame nearly solely made up of raw muscle. The pristine alabaster is interrupted by the orange glow of his eyes, which hold red slitted pupils. The pure non-overlapping scutes that make up his body form a segmented pattern with wide armoured plates on his back, to smaller and more supple sections near his limbs and heavy-set jaw. The scales thin and smooth out to form his leathery head, marked by ridges and bumps that run along its length in a natural pattern. Teeth of varying sizes and sharpness line his jaw, some sticking out -locked in place along his leathery lips- and some hidden inside. The regular amounts of peaks and lines along the top of his scales form prominent rows of spikes further down his back, shaped in different sizes down his tail.               Numerous bandages are wrapped many times around the reptile's form, stained with various darkened shades of crimson. He walks with the blessing of Maghak.

(worn on a talon) : a Heart of Darkness ring
                       (angled on his head) : a tall black top hat
               (stretched taut on his bulk) : a pinstriped waistcoat
              (tightly fit around the vest) : a black dress jacket
                        (covering the eyes) : a pair of diffusal goggles

---------------------------

You begin silently to shadow Ferrik's movements about the land.
A filthy, darkened armory.
His armor glistening warmly, Gladius, the Red Knight, stands here. Brilliant wings slowly flapping, an equestrian phenkyre softly clops at the ground here. Ferrik is here, shrouded. He wields a buckler in his left hand and a primal whip of flesh in his right.
You see a single exit leading northwest.

You follow Ferrik to the northwest.
Shadowy corridor through the keep. (lost) (Fengard Keep.)
 You see exits leading southeast and northwest.

Your surroundings shatter into a cloud of glowing stars which dissipate to leave you back where you began.

Ferrik shifts his eyes from side to side suspiciously.

Ferrik raises his hand in greeting and says "Hello!"

You say, "Avoiding me, Adjutant?"

Cheerfully rattling off, Ferrik says, "Not at all! Miss madam Ard-Chair woman! ..wait should I be?!"

You have emoted: Moirean gives a casual shrug, although she regards you with a slight wariness in her stare. "Sent you several messages," she points out. Her eyebrow raises, as she adds, "But no reply."

Somewhat mutedly, Ferrik dips his head and folds his claws together, "Yes sorry about that.. but I figured.." he shuffles, "..you are a busy person, I mean I get quite the messages, so you must get countless of them!" he grunts, clearing his throat, "Point is. I was planning on stepping into your office once I'd see you about! After I'd be done with my errands and have time to report in."

Jerking a claw over his shoulder, Ferrik says, "One last little lea--.. errand just die.. er.. ended. Yes."

You have emoted: Moirean shrugs again and turns, as if making to leave, and airily says, "Oh, well nevermind. It's noooothing." She waves one hand a bit dismissively and even stifles a little yawn, completely playing up the nonchalance to the hilt.

"Waaaaaiiiitaminuuuute!" Ferrik cries, stubby arms flailing in front of him after you.

Emphasising, Ferrik says, "I WAS pretty much done after that."

Ferrik rights his top hat, scooting it left and right.

You have emoted: Moirean pauses and turns back to you, eyes wide. There's clearly a bit of mischief dancing there. "So you are free now, then?" she asks, her voice far too innocent to suit her Impish features. The dim candlelight of the keep only highlights the sharp contours of her face, elongating the smirk creeping across her mouth and the arch of her eyebrows. A wiser croc would smell trouble, here.

Ferrik's outstretched arm curls back a little, claws inching back towards his hand. "Orrrr... am I?" he wonders in a whisper. His bright expression ever so slightly fading as he stares at you through narrowed eyes. "Yes? .. No?" his eyes shift around the dark corridor, "..maybe?" his snout wiggles as he sniffs. "Depending on the context." he adds demurely.

You have emoted: "Oh, well," Moirean replies, eyes getting even bigger. Her head shakes, and her voice drops to a low, serious tone. "I only want to bother you if you are REALLY free. Don't want to disturb you, afterall." Her tail twitches in an erratic curl behind her, nearly tying itself into a knot with gleeful writhing.

You have emoted: There's a pregnant pause, before Moirean adds, "...Because you won't be free once I am done with you."

After another pause, you say, "You could almost say....hmm...that you'd need a key or two to help get you out of what I have planned."

Shaking her head in concern, you say, "You might even need to...hmm....do some scaling."

"Wuh-wait no!" Ferrik flinches as he jerks forward. The sudden follow up catches him and he stoops, nearly stumbling as his large tail slips under him and catches his feet. "Hogad!" he yelps as he falls flat on his back. "So confused.." he mumbles.

From his supine position, Ferrik's upheld limbs twitch one at a time.

Trying carefully, Ferrik says, "...soooo.. maybe I'm free? If there's.. hazard pay?"

You have emoted: Eyes nearly as wide as little tiny teacup saucers, Moirean insists, "I am definitely not going to throw you in jail. Absolutely not because you keep eating your scribes. Positively not because you buried my office in toy balls. This is certainly not what I have planned."

Possible realization dawning on him, Ferrik jumps up - rather smoothly and agile for a crocodile of his frame - and waves a claw, "Wait! Does this involve bombs or explosions?!"

Befuddled, Ferrik says, "Balls!? What balls?"

Ferrik shifts his eyes from side to side suspiciously.

You have emoted: Moirean lifts her chin and spreads her hands in a vague, helpless sort of gesture. "All I can say, Adjutant," she concludes. "Is that it's time to face the music."

Ferrik's tail twitches behind him as he considers the toy balls, "MUSIC!?" he pipes up, canting his head. "Muuuusic you say?"

You have emoted: Moirean's tone sharpens and she crooks her finger in a very decisive beckon, saying only, "Follow," in a stern, steely snap.

Like a dart, Ferrik throws himself forward.

You have emoted: Moirean eyes you warily, but, apparently satisfied that you aren't going to make a break for it, she leads you on, back to the city.
You say, in Imp, "Bye!"

Ferrik shrieks with gleeful laughter.

Ferrik chews thoughtfully on the corpse of a fiery phenkyre.

Ferrik chews thoughtfully on a headless corpse.

You have emoted: Moirean leads you to the tunnel beneath the gate, heading towards the outer sprawl of the city. As the path takes the two of you ever closer to the prison, she glances sideways at you, remaining silent as she watches your demeanor.

Ferrik follows you to the up.
A tiled pathway. (road) (Spinesreach.)

"LOOK!" Ferrik excitedly exclaims from behind you. "Look what I found!" he says as he waves a headless corpse around in his maw, its limbs dragging behind it. "Fweebee!" he intones as he proceeds to chew on it some more.

Grunts and shouts fill the air now, drifting towards you from the prison looming up over this corner of the city. The weak winter sun is barely visible overhead, blocked out by the Ironmaw's bulky walls.

Ferrik blinks.

You have emoted: Moirean's stare drifts down to the corpse you are chomping on. "Delicious," she says dryly, halting for a moment in the shadow of the prison.

Ferrik halts for a brief pause, the corpse's limbs lazily falling along his mouth as he stares at the looming walls.

With a barely perceptible shrug, Ferrik shakes the corpse around again and proceeds to audibly continue using it as a chew toy, a delightful "Nom!" resounding from the crocodile.

You have emoted: "Impressive construction, isn't it?" Moirean casually remarks, as calm and careless as if she's discussing the monotonous northern weather. She lifts her head, squinting up at the prison, before she lets out an irritated sigh, staring back over at you with a snort.

A trace of a whine entering her voice, you say to Ferrik, "You're supposed to be INTIMIDATED."

Attention stretched thin, Ferrik says, "Mmhmm-hmm!"

You have emoted: Moirean snorts again, scowling and stamps one foot in frustration. "FIIIIINE, then," she pouts, grabbing your arm and doing her best to drag you across the courtyard - in the wrong direction. She's whirled around and it's not the prison the two of you are steaming towards, no, it's....the Institute?

Sputtering bits of gristle and possibly blood, Ferrik says, "Oh! Oh yes, intimidating! Yes I'm so very intimidated right now."

Ferrik sniffs a headless corpse, trying to decipher just what that smell emanating from it is.

Ferrik follows you to the north.
A bright, marble hallway. (Spinesreach.)

You have emoted: Moirean pauses just inside the entry to the Institute and scowls even harder. She sticks her tongue out and then gives you a shove, doing her best to push you into the ballroom to the east.

As Ferrik is shoved, the corpse shifts in the man's gullet and the dead weight joins forces with gravity as he sputters in protest, "Hey watch it!" and the body rolls out, an arm snags on a tooth and is ripped apart as the crocodilian stumbles to the east.

Beneath enormous chandeliers. (Spinesreach.)
This ballroom is rather sizable, eight walls converging to form a very large, octagon-shaped room. The walls and domed ceiling have all been gilded, the gold all polished to a gleaming shine not unlike the richly hued mahogony wood that comprises the floor. The glass dome of the ceiling has been painted with a vibrant battle scene of Spirean glory. The glass is backlit by the sun during the day, and by the moon at night, causing the dome to glow in an almost ethereal fashion. The hall is lit internally with eight enormous chandeliers that encircle the painted glass, hundreds of lit candles against smooth, elaborately molded gold and faceted crystals that elicit a dazzling array of coruscating light when struck by the dancing candlelight. A magnificent grand piano stands in one corner of the ballroom.

You have emoted: Moirean skirts the gore now festooned around the hallway to follow you into the ballroom. She stands in silence, arms folding behind her as she merely watches you. It's clear that she's waiting. For something.

"Fine.. fine I guess I was finished with that anyway.." Ferrik returns with a hint of annoyance as he regains his balance. Blinking, the reptile gains a sudden curiosity with his surroundings, eyes following the echo of his words until they flick to and find a large point of interest - or perhaps GRAND point of interest. Corpse chew toy forgotten, he clicks his claws excitably on the wooden floor.

Ferrik gasps quite loudly, frozen in place at first until he finally scrambles like a rabid dog not quite able to gain its footing, clickedy clack click click, racing across the mahogany up to the cornered grand piano. "OH YE GODS! I MUST BE DREAMING RIGHT NOW!" he yells out.

You have emoted: There's a quiet giggle from Moirean's side of the hall, drifting towards you. She stands quite still, however, still watching your reaction with interest.

Ferrik begins to agitatedly rock back and forth in front of the magnificent instrument, bobbing and craning his head as he observes it from many angles. "Oh yes.. yes it's got the piddly paddles.. and the thing with the thingies!" he rambles on, a single nail pointing to parts of the piano as he remarks. "Oooo.. shiny thingies too."

Ferrik's claws bundle together as he rocks back and forth some more, "Hrrnnghh.. CAN I TOUCH IT!?!" he finally 'explodes' in exhaled question.

You have emoted: Moirean giggles again and nods, stepping a bit closer. "That IS the idea with pianos, right?" she asks. "You touch them and they make noise?"

"YES!" Ferrik responds, not missing a beat. He sidles a little bit closer and hops up a short distance, allowing his tail to scoot under him for support. Huffing and puffing with anticipation, the reptilian wiggles his claws energetically, hovering over the instruments' keys.

You have emoted: Moirean drifts a bit closer. She tries to keep her advance as furtive as possible, but there's an eagerness to her step, and she nearly stumbles as she tries a nimble sideways slide. She masks the trip by resting an arm on the lid of the piano, smiling broadly over at you. "Go on, then," she encourages.

a magnificent grand piano:
Sweeping out in a large, curved shape, this grand piano is ready to be played, with a bench sitting directly before it at the perfect height for a night of musical performance. Both instrument and  bench are constructed from a strong hardwood, painted a deep ebony, with a glossy coat of enamel  giving the piece a bright gleam beneath light. A long keyboard of ivory and ebony keys sits waiting  to be played, with the piece's heavy lid opening to reveal the magnificent inner workings - a large  iron plate serves as the interior frame, polished, painted and molded with decorative adornments,  while steel strings and felt-topped wooden hammers sit above a large soundboard for a loud, swelling  resonance. Ornate legs support the entire piece, the elaborate carvings mirrored in the bench, with  leonine paws sturdily gripping the floor in a final flourish.

With a loud and ominous sounding 'ka-thunk!', Ferrik strikes two large black keys chords rather nimbly. Pausing only shortly as his claws click down to the white keys close to them. Some how reminiscent of tolling bells, the piano's fine crafting only amplifies the illusion as the crocodile plays the keys in a steady pace. "Ohhhh yes.." you can barely hear the man state in enthusiasm.

You have emoted: Moirean's ears twitch in curiosity as you begin to play and a slightly perplexed expression crosses her face. Her head tilts and her fingers splay over the piano's top, hand pressed flat to the piece to feel the vibrations resonating through the wood. Mingling with this clear confusion - it's obvious that she's never actually heard a piano's sound before - is a sort of excited, bewildered interest.

Ferrik's foot thumps the floor lightly as he finds his groove, tapping a rhythm with the nails as he picks up the pace. The deep, reverberant sound of bells making way to an uplifting, almost marching, yet jaunty melody. For one so bulky and normally clumsy, he display none of that. His head lifts up and his eyes close as his talons swiftly tap the keys in combined effort, unable to keep his frame from swaying along with the music - and out of necessity due to his short arms.

You have emoted: Moirean's stare darts between you and the instrument, over and over again as the music continues, in an obvious effort to piece together how exactly the music is being made. Her confused expression deepens, but her mouth has dropped ajar in astonishment as the sound unfolds. Eventually she gives up on trying to figure out the magic and simply sinks to a seat where she is standing, crossing a leg beneath her as she stares up at you, watching wide-eyed.

Something of a deep and guttural humming emanates from Ferrik as he coolly works the ivories, 'Dum-dee-dumm, dum-dum-dee-dum.' the melody going up and down in pitch across the way, claws forming large arpeggio chords on the one side and a cheery melodic bass on the other as he slams down on the keys.

In a whisper, you say, "So THIS is a piano..."

Ferrik vigorously nods his maw at you, with still closed eyes, although his humming is forced out a little louder when he does. "Humm-hm-hm, ohhh yes! Ma-dam Ard-Chair..wo-man!" he answers in the same rhythm.

You have emoted: Moirean bends her other knee up toward her chest and crosses her arms around it. Resting her chin on the top of her knee, she continues to watch and listen, ears twitching with each new note you play.

Ferrik flicks his claws in front of him and rakes one smoothly across the keyboard in a sudden and unexpected ladder of sound rising up. But there, in a quick chase follows the dark sound of bells again, this time it blurs into a different, steady and slow rhythm of deep notes. And Ferrik begins to hum something that could almost be mistaken for words.

You have emoted: Moirean's tail executes a happy, swooping sweep at the glissando, writhing in obvious delight, as the Imp's eyes widen in surprise. She draws in a slow breath, almost cautious, as if worried of disturbing your play, and edges a bit closer, face upturned to watch you.

"The conviction- on your mind.." Ferrik starts, tone bouncing along with the upbeat, slower pace. "It comes back in kind.." the reptile shakes his head from side to side, "I am the judge, you've crossed.. the line." He slams the keys a little harder this time, a slight different higher tune on the chords as he carries on, "Tall black top hat! My tall black top hat!" almost making a show, he lifts his talons up higher before bringing them down again, "..means I'm coming... aaaafteeeer yooouuuu!" he sings.

You have emoted: Moirean can't help herself - something about the beat is infectious and she begins to sway in place as she listens. Her tail bobs along with her, flicking back and forth in a bouncing bop. Losing herself in your music, she lets out a little laugh at the showy movements, the sound bubbling up reflexively - immediately, she slaps her hands over her mouth at the noise, swallowing it down tight, and blushes deeply, pink flushing up through the dark lines on her face to tinge her skin an embarrassed red nearly up to her ears.

Ferrik breaks down into a short staccato of chords, he grins wide at you, flashing his teeth while bringing the song back to its original lower key, his voice adjusting equally "Although you'd run a mile, my teeth will bring the trial!" quickly, the crocodile reaches up and scoots his hat up a little ways, "You've fled the City oh so fine.. but I'm the reptile, you the bovine!" he bobs and bounces his frame along, "Look to the sky and say goodbye!" And there he breaks up into the higher tunes again, "Tall black top haaat! My tall black top haaat!" he cries out, thumping down the range of keys and clinking a higher few as he works it into a coda.

You have emoted: Moirean's guilty flush turns to a sheepish smile as you grin at her, and she lets out another laugh, smile growing as you sing another verse. Her tail gleefully dances along in time to the melody, while the rest of her relaxes as the song continues, clearly emboldened by the rather raucous beat and energetic lyrics, until - probably without even realizing it - she's tapping her hand on her knee in time with the tune.

Ferrik swiftly rams a chord of dissonant notes together, switching them with a close, equally dissonant one which he blends into a neighbouring chord group that brings a far more melodious sound as he rapidly brings it down across the keyboard. Firmly and quickly thumping his foot to the floor, he cranks up the rhythm a few paces, swaying about the keys. "Now you can talk about the Pit! -'f Gol-go-thaa!" he intones, shaking his maw, "..the City was jumping! The Ard-Chair too! Ha!" talons scramble down the ivories, "They doing the Hroagh around! Eeerrrybody do the Hroagh around!" growing more excited, he nearly jumps up as he stretches out to reach keys further down, eagerly jumping down the ladder of tones.

You have emoted: Moirean watches you in delight, her tapping turning to outright clapping as she slaps her hand against her knee in a quick, accompanying percussion to your play. After a few bars, she giggles and chimes in with a tentative, halting, "Hroagh!" doing her best to insert the call into an appropriate spot in the song. Her timing isn't great, and she nearly swallows her words as she verbally stumbles a few times until, finally, she finds the sweet spot in the lyrics, calling back the Spirean cheer as you finish each line.

"Now you- see that guy with that bright toy ball?! He knooows about the Spirean pub crawl!" Ferrik converses in song with himself, jauntily carrying the song, nodding at you, "Woaaaah they Hroagh around! I swear! He doin' the Hroagh around! Everybody doin' that Hroagh around!" he sways from side to side, seemingly 'patting' down the keys like it's nothing. "Now ah, when I say hroagh, don't you- move or flail! When I say go just ah, shake your tail - and do the Hroagh around! I declaaare, do the Hroagh around! Yeah we doin' the Hroagh around.. everybody's doing the Hroagh arooouuund!"

You have emoted: Moirean's tail obliges, wiggling and writhing in an eager shake. "Hroagh!" the Imp chimes in again, bouncing in place.

Ferrik jerks and leans all across the piano, nodding in approval as he hammers the keys in rapid succession, "Now this croc's gonna play from.. dusk till dawn! All Spireans here gonna have some fun! Doin' the Hroagh around! Everybody here doing the Hroagh around!" he parades his claws down the keys until in a crescendo he slows down the rhythm and blends it into a different, moderately-paced, upbeat song. "We were reeling and rocking, rolling till the break of daaawn!" he breaks down up to a dead stop, "Look at the sun- it was a little past noon.. boy were we rocking to a good ol' tune!" with that he picks up the song just as easily paced, "As we reeled, reelin' and rockin'! Rollin' till the break of daaawwwwn!" he breathes, in a swift staccato of chords and notes he brings the volume and pitch down across the piano's board until he finally reaches the end and in a last series of upbeat notes, he touches the last keys.

Somewhat loudly, Ferrik puffs up his frame and holds up both claws spread out, "Thank yoouuu Spinesreeeeaaach! You've been fantastiiiiic!" he bellows.

You have emoted: Moirean immediately bursts into applause as you end the song, bouncing up and down as her tail squirms in approval. "Ferrik!" she exclaims. "That was...magnificent! How did you- How does it-" She shakes her head, words failing her, and just exclaims, "Wow!"

Ferrik beams proudly at you, shyly plucking at his top hat, "Thank you, Ard-Chairwoman." he returns. He looks over at the piano, "It ah.." he indicates the keys with a talon, "..you press it and.. sound comes out there." the digit flips to the opened lid.

Which a chuckle, you say, "I figured THAT much out." She shakes her head. "Someday you'll tell me the rest."

Smiling so wide his eyes are squinted, Ferrik holds up his claws apologetically, "I had a good teacher?" he offers.

Ferrik looks thoughtful and says, "..I ought to make up some more songs again now that this is here."

You have emoted: Moirean twists to her feet, keeping her eyes trained on the piano with a sort of wary interest, and absently asks, "Who taught you?" She glances back over at you, head tilting as she regards your perch on the bench, and grins broadly. "He did a good job of it. That sound...was nothing I've heard before. It was brilliant. You HAVE to play again."

With a bounce and a suddenly enthusiastic injection of authority, you say, "For the WHOLE CITY!"

"Oh psh.. some.. old man." Ferrik waves in dismissal, "I just sometimes need to get it.. out of my system." adds with a lopsided grin, glancing over the instrument again. His gaze flicks back to you wide-eyed, "The -whole- City?!"

You have emoted: Moirean nods eagerly. "The WHOLE city!" she brightly echoes. "And beyond! The whole continen-" She draws in a sharp gasp, interrupting herself. "No, wait! Why stop there?! We'll invite Delve, too - maybe even send a cheeky note to the Dreikathi. This piano thing could be more valuable than ylem itself!"

You have emoted: Moirean spreads her arms wide, eyes squinting as if looking at a distant point. "Ferrik's Beats," she recites in a loud voice. "Enthralling the world since MA 407."

You tell Denser, "Aye, postponing payout to make it easier to track."
Still staring at you wide-eyed, Ferrik blinks a single time. Turning to look back at the piano, back to you, the crocodile interlocks his claws, "I uh.. don't know about that.. value wise." he solemnly states.

With some consideration, Ferrik says, "..kind of like the Syssin party far back.. but on a grander scale."

Ferrik nods his head at himself.

You have emoted: Moirean lets out a little snort and lifts her chin. "No vision, Ferrik," she admonishes. "That's why I'm a Chair and you are...Umm..." she waves her hand at you, shrugging. "An ARTIST. Leave the details to me. You just work your magic."

With curiosity, Ferrik sizes you up as he waddles a single step back, "Well I do tend to go with my -nose-!" he finally chimes in, at the mention of magic he simple stares at his claws, turning them this way and that. "Will play for buffalo meat?" he concludes in question.

You have emoted: Moirean nods firmly and agrees, "Sure. A whole herd of buffalo. MOUNTAINS of buffalo."

Ferrik's jaws unhinge as his eyes glaze over, "Vashnars of buffalo..." he echoes, unable to keep a bit of dribble from rolling down the sides of his mouth.

You have emoted: Moirean gives you a side-eyed stare and nods slowly. "Yeaaah..." she agrees. "Buffalo, though." Her eyes narrow. "ONLY buffalo. No scribes, no Atabahi whelps, no Carnifex hounds, no kids from the orphanage. Buffalo."

The back of Ferrik's head shifts as his eyelids flutter several times, perking up he wonders, "Hmm ah what now!? Whelps hound and kids where!?"

You rub your temples in frustration.

Realization pending, Ferrik says, "..ohh.. oh I see."

Ferrik peers about himself suspiciously.

You stare implacably at Ferrik.

"Hmm?" Ferrik murmurs to you for clarification.

Shaking her head, you say, "I need to be heading off. Enjoy your piano. No eating anyone I like, please."

Vigorously nodding his maw, Ferrik says, "Okay yes, thankyouthankyouthankyou!"

You have emoted: Moirean can't help but smile at the reaction and nods in a quick bob of her head. She sketches out a quick wave, then, before slipping out of the hall, leaving you alone with the piano.
ChakrasulTeaniPiperAngweJaslineSlypheIrruel

Comments

• TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    LOOOOOOVE it! I mean, seriously, you're both good with emotes and everything, but Ferrik just blows my mind every time. He's an awesome character. :D

PiperAngweIrruel
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    ADORABLE!

Moirean's response to the piano playing was too cute. And Ferrik's song was the best thing since the Gnarlstone Swerve.
    PiperPeriluna
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Many thanks to @severn for making this possible.
  • Oh hello! How did this one escape me? (Sometimes the forums doesn't show sections as 'unread' to me and I completely miss things like this!)

I want to thank whoever made that possible, Sevvers and or whatever builder grunts were involved and killed in the process! I love messing around with pianos and making parody songs and turning my favourites into Aetolia applicable ones.

Also @Teani, thank you but it was really Moirean. I was mostly scrambling for words! (Your emotes are great too Teani)
    Thank you for the kind words though.

Teani