A Field Guide to Aetolia (Hints, Tips and Syntax)

EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
edited April 2013 in Harpy's Head Tavern
It can be tough starting up in Aetolia, especially when you don't know how to use anything effectively, and wading through the help files can be a real headache! This thread is intended to be a bit of help to those starting up, but it also has information for older players as well. Every now and then, even a veteran player will hear about some snippet of syntax or some way of doing a thing which they'll have never seen before, and it'll change their world. In the interest of making the game an even more neato place for everyone, this is a repository of some handy syntax, tips and advice for the everyday Aetolian.

Those of us who have been around the traps for a while already will probably know most of this stuff, but you could learn something, you never know! Please note that this isn't the spot for combat syntax and tips- it's more roleplay and utility mechanics. If there's a bit of syntax you know of that could be added here, go ahead and post with it!

LinEmelleLiancaAlastairValenaePerilunaOrusAngweAryanneEzalorMoireanStathanHaydynArekaEsperEtriganJaslineBelgarionPazradymTiurLynuiNavaBaranorSelukos

Comments

• LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Oh my god, how can I upvote a post more than once. This is amazing, Eleanor, thank you.
    AryanneNatasya
  • I sort of want to post a pastebin to my hhelp for newblets, that references the appropriate numerical helps for various subjects such as these. But why, you covered all that and more.
    Senior Administrator Veritas says, "Shut upbre."
    Arbre Aquila dur Naya says, "Yessir."
    Senior Administrator Veritas says, "I'm a lady!"

Senior Administrator Veritas says, "Yeah cutscene kicks in."
    Senior Administrator Veritas says, "Watch our awesome CG."

Senior Administrator Veritas says, "I grove ever stronger in the presence of Alastair!"
    Senior Administrator Veritas says, "Grow*."
    Senior Administrator Veritas says, "No druids here."
  • SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    You forgot a note to not eat the veal.
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    The word 'mobpos' might throw people who've never heard/seen it before. Like me. Mobpos = 'mob possession', right?
  • SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    mpos or mobpos means mob possession, yes.
  • Amazing thread. +100
  • I learned so many new shiny things! Thank you, Eleanor. Perfectly brilliant!

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    INCALL for the inventory stuff. I just learned about this command this week and it has CHANGED MY LIFE.
    LinHaydynTzaEsperDemion
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    There we are, added a bit on caches!

• EmelleEmelle Dreamshaper Tecpatl's Cradle
    edited April 2013
    This is fantastic, Elea! A couple of things (I might update this as I find more):

Re: emotes, you can also use $name_his_yours and $name_hers_yours. It's kind of a nit, but it can be grating to see the wrong pronoun when you're on the other end.

You can in fact use the pronouns before the anchor, as long as the anchor is present somewhere in the emote. Lovely for varying emote structure.

I think it also bears pointing out that you can interact not only with mobs using @, but also items in your inventory or anywhere in the room you're in!
  • Shop syntax? Wares, wares <thing>, fill emptyvial from <cask>, etc? Just an idea if you think it could be useful, I've only helped a handful of new players, so I'm not sure if it'd be helpful.
    imageimage
    EmelleCiarelle
  • I thought trying to get 'yours' to go through on emotes have been broken for years? Did they fix it when I wasn't paying attention?
    imageimage
    Aryanne
  • Another thing to note is if you see a strange object, Probe it! Then mess about with it just to see:

TOUCH <object>
    PUSH <object>
    PULL <object>
    TURN <object>
    TWIST <object>
    Sometimes the results are great, sometimes.. Nothing. :)
    EmelleAchamia
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Other things for the Cache, sans artifacts - 
    You can hold:
    1000 commodities
    2000 plants/harvestables
    200 rations
    I think 750 or 1000 ink?
    Not sure on the others, never reached cap
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    1000 ink
    SINCE WHEN COULD YOU TWIST ITEMS.
    KonnornTzaAryanne
    Hey Lin, what's pink and goes clockwise?

Am... am I gonna have to moderate the answer?
    Esper
    I think you know.

In other news, I added the item interactions and cache bits. If someone knows the numbers for the cache things I haven't got limits beside, that'd be appreciated. Also, if someone could get me a rundown on reanimation syntax I think I'll pop some of the basics of that and concoctions in the misc commands part, for those of us who are mad forgetful.

• HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Eleanor said:
    I think you know.

In other news, I added the item interactions and cache bits. If someone knows the numbers for the cache things I haven't got limits beside, that'd be appreciated. Also, if someone could get me a rundown on reanimation syntax I think I'll pop some of the basics of that and concoctions in the misc commands part, for those of us who are mad forgetful.
    Living: outc <herb>;eat <herb>
    Undead: outc <organ>_slice;eat <organ>_slice

Living: apply <salve> | apply <salve> to <body part>
    Undead: press <poultice> | press <poultice> on <body part>

Living: sip <elixir> | drink <elixir>
    Undead: stick <serum>

Living: outc sileris;apply sileris
    Undead: outc bone_slice;squeeze bone_slice

Living: outc <herb>;put <herb> in <pipe####>
    Undead: siphon <tincture> into <syringe>

Living: light <pipe####> | light pipes
    Undead: flick <syringe####> | flick syringes

I... believe that's everything.

¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Also HELP CURES CONCOCTIONS and HELP CURES REANIMATION.

Not sure if this would be a good place for it, but perhaps also a section (or a second guide) on basic basic basic combat - things like how to use firstaid, the notion of healing/mana/moss balance, what defences are good to maintain, how rebounding works, how resto/mending work together/body part damage (seriously, this concept really was tricky for me to learn, especially how mending and resto cancelled each other out, I spent weeks going WHY IS IT FIZZLING HALP), tree tattoo functionality, etc. Super basic stuff, but a step above the most basic commands.

Since you are making this, can I bring back the idea of a "newbie" section to forums? I think we could benefit if we had a category in forums for newbie guides (like Illidan's class guides), your guide here, newbie q&a, introductions to the community, etc. Keep the initial posts in other threads, but move the finished products to a newbie section and pin em for easy reference. The section would serve both as useful info for new players AND as a handy "jump in and meet us!" introduction, where newbies are invited to say hi and join the community (sometimes directly posting in existing stuff is a bit scary/daunting/ignored, whereas a "hi, introduce yourself here" area is much more welcoming and gets people interacting in an easy way).
    edited April 2013
    In regard to cures, I actually meant the blow by blow of how to produce the curatives... ferment and anoint and all that business- it's not in the help files, so I figure it must be in the AB, hence me asking- I'll need someone who's got an undead character to either drop the syntax, or confirm that lol it's not in the AB either. That's a good list of stuff though Haven, I'll think of where that could fit in the list.

I'm not going to do combat stuff in here, because there's a lot more people who could deliver it a lot better, and there's also enough of that that it deserves its own thread. This is for all the other utility stuff- I'm looking to strike a balance between a range of useful crap and a thread that doesn't go on foreverrrrr etc.

• IosyneIosyne the Lair

Natasya said:
    Another thing to note is if you see a strange object, Probe it! Then mess about with it just to see:

TOUCH <object>
    PUSH <object>
    PULL <object>
    TURN <object>
    TWIST <object>
    Sometimes the results are great, sometimes.. Nothing. :)
    You can also USE <object>
    Natasya
  • Thanks so much for this!
  • Thanks guys,

One of the most useful threads I have come across!... Although the roleplay threads are always interesting and a fun read.

Zarahemlah, Noob in town.
    Moirean