That Other Video Game Thread

ArbreArbre Arbrelina JolieBraavos
edited June 2016 in OOC Chat
This discussion was created from comments split from: LOVE.

Comments

• PRAISE THE SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    LelacSofiel
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    Echoing the love for Haern's sig. PRAISE THE SUN!
    Lelac
  • I don't even know what the hell this Praise the Sun theme is.
    HavenMoireanEzalor
  • KiyotanKiyotan spectacular vernacular Summit of the Falconmount
    Some may say we've lost our way, but I believe we've not gone far enough.
    Aryanne
  • Fenrir said:
    I don't even know what the hell this Praise the Sun theme is.
    It is a reference to an emote gesture from the game Dark Souls. You join the covenant called the Warriors of Sunlight with the intention of helping players along with advancing in the game (go through areas with them, fight bosses). Your character glows golden and you get a 'praise the sun' gesture wherein you do a glorious little V with your arms and get on your tiptoes. It is also in reference to Solaire of Astora, who is a potential friend to you throughout the game and can induct you into the covenant. Quite literally, Solaire is one of your ONLY true friends. He's a fan favorite, but I kind of love all the NPCs from Dark Souls.

Also some of the forum goers are well aware that I adore Dark Souls and Solaire. I think they do it to draw me out of hiding.
    FenrirLunaXavin
  • If only I could be so grossly incandescent..
    XavinAngwe
  • Dishonored. Probably late to the party, but I just got it. Have not actually killed anyone! So far...

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

AldricXavin
  • Haern said:
    Fenrir said:
    It is a reference to an emote gesture from the game Dark Souls. You join the covenant called the Warriors of Sunlight with the intention of helping players along with advancing in the game (go through areas with them, fight bosses). Your character glows golden and you get a 'praise the sun' gesture wherein you do a glorious little V with your arms and get on your tiptoes. It is also in reference to Solaire of Astora, who is a potential friend to you throughout the game and can induct you into the covenant. Quite literally, Solaire is one of your ONLY true friends. He's a fan favorite, but I kind of love all the NPCs from Dark Souls.

Also some of the forum goers are well aware that I adore Dark Souls and Solaire. I think they do it to draw me out of hiding.
    I just picked up the Prepare to Die edition to see what all the fuss is about.

Just for you, Haern. Just for you.
  • Toz said:
    Dishonored. Probably late to the party, but I just got it. Have not actually killed anyone! So far...
    Dat restraint man. I was more like, "OOOO, LOOK AT ALL THE SHINY WAYS TO KILL PEOPLE :D"
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
  • Fenrir said:
    Haern said:
    Fenrir said:

Any chance we can all pile on Skype or a livestream? I just love listening to someone's first Dark Souls experience.
  • I just picked up the Prepare to Die edition to see what all the fuss is about.
    As a heads up, you should download a popular mod called DSFix and then get a controller. The PC port was done very quickly and the mouse controls are pretty wretched. I play on the PS3 due to having a background with Demon's Souls. You won't find me hunting the Oolacile Township on PC!
    Seir
  • Saarlamen said:
    Fenrir said:
    Haern said:
    Fenrir said:

Any chance we can all pile on Skype or a livestream? I just love listening to someone's first Dark Souls experience.
    Sure, maybe!
  • Fenrir said:
    Saarlamen said:
    Fenrir said:
    Haern said:
    Fenrir said:

Sure, maybe!
    Gonna need you to do another one right around the time someone picks you up and puts you in a pretty fantastic city...
  • SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    PRAISE THE SUN!

Also, I concur with Haern on the Knife of Dunwall today. Definitely going to pick it up to see what it was like from a certain character's perspective. A certain character that didn't get a lot of face time and was a pretty great character.
    Zun
  • Aldric said:
    Toz said:
    Dishonored. Probably late to the party, but I just got it. Have not actually killed anyone! So far...
    Dat restraint man. I was more like, "OOOO, LOOK AT ALL THE SHINY WAYS TO KILL PEOPLE :D"
    I dunno. When I played it last I just had to kill ALL THE PEOPLE.

• SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    edited April 2013
    I was pacifist to guards and such unless they were taking advantage of someone. Targets were generally killed unless the non-lethal way was a fate worse than death like the corrupt first target being banished.

Corvo so mad. So mad.

• I totally promise I didn't ruin Dark Souls by trying to kill Solaire first thing, and I also didn't rage so hard half-way through that I took it back and got Dead Space 2. :(

Also this was when I was 8 months pregnant and couldn't play either one in anymore because it could have sent me into early labors?! XD awkward
  • Trying to rp it out. Disgraced cop isn't gonna kill other cops while trying to clear his name so much. No problem blasting some thugs though!

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

Trager
  • I disagree. I was all up on the revenge train. Just so happens that anyone in my way became a target >_>

Aldric
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    Some of the challenge run stuff is really hilarious. Like so:

>_>
  • I felt the game tugging me in both directions; sometimes, it really fleshed out the NPC, trying to humanize them. Other times, I felt like it was all "These are the people keeping her locked up! These are the murderers. These are the people slandering your name!" I never could keep up one of the two paths, violence or pacifism. But when I killed, it felt justified. 
  • I'm wary of a trap. I have not played far in at all, but having played Spec Ops: The Line? No, no, no, no. No more killing NPCs for no reason. T_T

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

Rivas
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    Academically, Spec Ops was fascinating. I don't know if its message will be properly understood by the people who it's most pertinent to, but I really liked the idea of taking everything everyone is used to doing in a videogame (Stomping boxes, stealing items, shootan everyone) and pointing out "Hey. You are being a horrible person doing horrible things, you know that?"

Orus
  • Unrelated to above game talk, but Injustice: Gods Among Us came out today. Anyone else playing it?
  • Unrelated to above game talk, but Injustice: Gods Among Us came out today. Anyone else playing it?

Ahmg yes. Just beat the story mode. I'm a huuuuge fan of Mortal Kombat, and I absolutely love everything about the DC universe, so I'm pretty sure this game just took 'favorite game ever' status. I've had my dorm door open all day and have been pulling random residents of mine in left and right that walk by to play a few rounds.

Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
    Milvushina
  • I haven't played many recent Mortal Kombat games, but I did play MK9 and thought NetherRealm did a great job. And I read DC comics religiously, so I've been super excited about Injustice. You already beat story mode? About how long did that take? I've only played the beginning Batman stages, then played other challenge modes to work on getting better with combos. But from what I've seen so far, I love it!!
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    I picked up Dark Souls earlier today. I died in the tutorial, which was awesome.

Also, I rolled a Wanderer and hit the... I don't know his name, the first NPC you meet after you get out of the tutorial, by the bonfire? Well, his reaction was funny, so I kept hitting him. Now he attacks me forever and I can't make him stop, so I think I just doomed my little level 6 character.

I'm also cracking up at how REGULAR SKELETONS are legitimately dangerous to me.
    ZunAarbrokSeir
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    I dunno, Bioshock Infinite is pretty fantastic right now, and so delightfully racist charged.  Im absolutely loving it.
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Is Dark Souls the one where you can leave (completely trollish) messages on the walls for people? Stuff like "VERILY THE WAY YONDER IS CLEAR, PROCEED!" right before a pack of goblins or whatever is due to pop out?
    AarbrokZun
  • edited April 2013
    Eleanor said:
    Academically, Spec Ops was fascinating. I don't know if its message will be properly understood by the people who it's most pertinent to, but I really liked the idea of taking everything everyone is used to doing in a videogame (Stomping boxes, stealing items, shootan everyone) and pointing out "Hey. You are being a horrible person doing horrible things, you know that?"
    It is amazing as a deconstruction of the shooter genre.    I went in not really knowing that and it just blew me away.  Especially reading some of the stuff people have written up/theorized after the fact.   Just kind of was a "Daaaamn" moment in making me realize how we've come to  enjoy and play games. 

Edit: I say this as I am running through the Dishonored DLC killing people.