Combat Messages

DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore ExtraordinareRolling amongst piles of credits.

Not quite sure where to put this, so I put it here!

I -love- Combat Messages. I noticed today that Frost Spike declares the venom that you hit with -

Sessizlik used Elemancy Frostpike (Kalmia)

As you guys are putting the others in, would it be possible to use this pattern for all envenom attacks? It will  make third party track a dream and eliminate the need for advanced scripting and generally just make team combat easier to get into.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
"If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

MacavityLin

Comments

• OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    It's very simple for attacks that use inline envenoming (like Frostspike, where you specify the venom in the same attack). In situations where you apply the venom in one command and attack in another, it would be prohibitively difficult to do well.

Imo, more reason to suggest inline envenoming in the upcoming Liaison round.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    Lin
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    While I can definitely see the benefit of inline envenoming, I think it would be nice if regular envenoming still remains as an alternative. Many times, I've had newb Carnifex want to join in a battle, and they don't have venoms on them or have anything set up for venoms - I can just toss them a vial or two, tell them to envenom their weapons a few times and then just spam SSL (ie their bashing alias) in the fight. With inline options, it'd be a lot harder for someone to just pick up the class and try diving in without having to code stuff.
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Sure. Why not just make it so that if you provide a venom in your attack syntax, it uses that, otherwise it uses whatever's envenomed the legacy way.
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    do people even still stack venoms on their weapons??  I mean most of the time I see them wipe, envenom, attack
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
    I'm not about to take away the old method for things that currently support it. We just probably won't be able to add the toxin in Combat Messages if you do it that way.
    [---]
  • If you want to win, yes. Because mostly you don't know until the moment you regain balance what the next best venom combo is.

I kind of disagree with you there, moirean. I'd love something like:

alias sstx dhuriv combo target slash stab xentio curare
    alias sstk dhuriv combo target slash stab kalmia curare

Aliases like that could be done with the server side aliases. I understand that creating a couple of aliases is more complex than what you described - but only very very marginally and inline stuff like this would make it much easier for them to advance a little bit past that absolute basic point you described, by keeping the syntax as short as possible even when they start getting the hang of it and begin experimenting.
    What you are describing is what Oleis is talking about for "inline envenoming." I'm just saying being able to toss a pre-evenomed weapon at a newb and have them go to town should still be possible. >_>
  • Yeah, I know that it what Oleis is describing, that's why I said it.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, I just think that it's also fair to say that inline syntax would make it easier on that newbie as well.
    You could just as easily toss the dirk and vial to the kid and say "Alright, I want you to type in SLASH DASKALOS CURARE and hold down your enter key"
    I doubt a novice would have envenom so early on, since they have to devote their lessons to their class skills
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Envenom is quite low in the class skills for classes who use venoms a lot. And typing a pre-existing bashing macro is far easier than typing a brand new command. Regardless, it doesn't matter (though I have no idea why you guys are all jumping on me), since Oleis already posted saying that they aren't going to be removing existing options even if something new is added, which was all I was asking for.
    Riluo
  • Everyone Rage on Moirean!!

Srsly though, I can supremely agree that come liaisons, inline envenoming will be hard pushed for Templar. Also will want inline empowerments too, to keep it the same at least. Only thing that gets tricky for us is tracking for maingauche and Engage, which takes a double-stack, so it'll cut commands down by -a- line. Certainly would love inline for Syssin combat, cut that 12 messages down to 10.
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    If in-line is done it should be counted as one command, not multiple ones, so that stupidity doesn't super screw it.

This will definitely help out classes who have one weapon and need to envenom it multiple times since they cannot simply spam it away under stupidity.
    Angwe
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    I know y'all said that there wouldn't be any changes to current Sentinels until the revamp, but could we maybe get in one some of this in-line love, too? We won't be getting our revamp for a few weeks yet, I'm sure, and in-line envenoming has been something I've wanted for quite awhile (to deal with stupidity).
    Ezalor said:
    If in-line is done it should be counted as one command, not multiple ones, so that stupidity doesn't super screw it.
    I agree. That detail is actually why I postponed it to a Liaison round instead of implementing it outside, since there's technically a balance implication.

Plus it's easier if you guys tell me which attacks to change. I'm too pretty to dig.
    [---]
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    *has report 1416 written up and ready to go*

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• Daskalos said:
    *has report 1416 written up and ready to go*
    brown noser
    Arbre
    Angwe said:
    I know y'all said that there wouldn't be any changes to current Sentinels until the revamp, but could we maybe get in one some of this in-line love, too? We won't be getting our revamp for a few weeks yet, I'm sure, and in-line envenoming has been something I've wanted for quite awhile (to deal with stupidity).
    Sentinels will be live before I implement Liaison reports.
    [---]
    Slyphe
  • Just so it's noted, I'd love this for Carnifex too. I'm not going to bother liaisoning anything for them because I trust you. Maybe a little.

...I'm also just going to throw it out there that Irelia joined our guild and 2 days later we got nerfed via statpacks.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

oo lets add this for teradrim too!!
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Toz said:
    ...I'm also just going to throw it out there that Irelia joined our guild and 2 days later we got nerfed via statpacks.
    Ezalor
    Is this another LoL reference that I am not getting?
    Angwe
  • Just give in and play Moi. :)
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

LinHaven