Mafia: The Rellyw Rebellion - Sign Up

edited August 2013 in OOC Chat
It's late in the Second Mortal Epoch, and the rellyw chafe under the oppressive yoke of their Ankyrean masters. As tensions rise and strange experiments are performed within the Citadel, various agendas prepare to capitalize on the coming troubles. Unfortunately, no one quite expected the remnants of the Indorani to come knocking...

---

This ruleset presumes that about 3/5th of the players are rellyw - the other 2/5th are divided, more or less equally, among the Loyalist Conclaves, the Rebel Conclaves, and the Indorani, although the Indorani will never have any more than three members.

---

All Conclaves
-Know who their Conclave-mates are and may communicate with them freely.

The Loyalist Conclaves
-Gain a factional kill when they become the Conclaves with the most surviving members.
-Win by eliminating the Rebel Conclaves and the Indorani, and establishing a majority over the rellyw.

The Rebel Conclaves
-Gain a factional kill when they become the Conclaves with the most surviving members.
-Win by eliminating the Loyalist Conclaves and the Indorani, and establishing a majority over the rellyw.

The Rellyw
-Win by freeing themselves from the yoke of Ankyrean oppression - eliminating the Indorani, and then all the Conclaves.

The Indorani
-Win by killing everyone else.

---

The Conclaves of Science and Magic (Rebel)

-Are host to the Dhasan of Science, who may investigate the role - not the allegiance - of any other player each night.

-Are host to the Dhasan of Magic, who may use their magic to block a role's active (not passive) power. This may only be done once every two rounds, owing to the complex spellwork involved; in this context, a day is a round and so is a night. If the person blocked has access to a factional kill, they are prevented from voting on it, and do not count as a member of the coalition that has access to it.

-Are host to the Consanguine Experiment, a terrifying, bloodthirsty creature animated via Chakrasulian catalyst. Only a lynch in full daylight will dispose of it; any kill attempted on it during the night will not be publicly revealed, but its attackers will witness it fleeing in mistform and know its identity. It furthermore has the power to shroud a target in secrecy, preventing the Warden from detecting any actions it performs. This is a passive effect, defaulting to shrouding the Dhasan of Magic out of loyalty to its creator, and may be switched once at the beginning of the game and once each night round.

The Conclaves of Art, Nature, and Devotion (Loyalist)

-Are host to the Dhasan of Devotion, a canny Severnite who may frame any other player; the Severnite may choose to frame a player as rellyw, loyalist, rebel, or Indorani, and may specifically select any role appropriate to that alignment to frame the player as. If the Dhasan of Devotion frames someone with their actual alignment and role, there is no effect. This is a passive effect, defaulting to disguising the Severnite as an ordinary rellyw, and may be switched once at the beginning of the game and once each night round.

-Are host to the Dhasan of Nature, who can select one person at night to send out on a scouting mission during the day, preventing them from voting on the lynch and from being killed during the day by any method except for a lynch. This also blocks their role's active power until nighttime. The Dhasan of Nature, of course, may also elect to send themselves out.

-Are host to the Dhasan of Art, who can use their illusions to redirect uses of active powers from one selected player to another selected player - in effect, making them resolve as if the second player had been targeted instead. Conversely, actions targeting the second player instead redirect to the first player. This may only be done once every two rounds, given that back in the Second Mortal Epoch, illusions still took equilibrium to use. In this context, a day is a round and so is a night.

The Revolutionaries (Rellyw)

-Have the Jailer, who may imprison one person per night - this protects them from night death and blocks their role's active (not passive) power until day. If the person has access to a factional kill, they are prevented from voting on it, and do not count as a member of the coalition that has access to it. Anyone investigating an imprisoned individual will learn they are imprisoned. The Jailer, of course, cannot jail themselves.

-Have the Syssin, who can investigate one person per night - this will tell the Syssin whether the person is a Conclave member, rellyw, or the Indorani.

-Have the Warden, who is informed of which roles did what with their active powers at the end of each round (i.e. "The Dhasan of Art used illusions to redirect actions performed on Player A to Player B.")

-Have the Vigilante, who begins the game with two night kills and gains a third when the Jailer, Syssin, or Warden dies. They may exercise a night kill once per night. The Conscript replacement does not count for gaining the extra kill; only the original roles do. Any kills not spent carry over to the Conscript, if the Vigilante is the first to die. The Vigilante may only ever kill thrice in one game.

-Have the Conscript, who is held in reserve until one of the rellyw roles dies - at which point they assume the previously vacated role. If the Conscript dies first, another one is randomly selected from the pool of available rellyw. Until such time as the Conscript assumes another role, they will appear to any and all investigation as a normal rellyw.

The Children of Despair (Indorani)

Collectively, the Indorani are capable of brutally, messily 
torturing one person to death each night. They can be discovered by both the Researcher and the Syssin, barring noted exceptions. They win when everyone else is dead, and may have one, two, or all of the following roles at their beck and call:

-The Necromancer. Their soulcage allows them to survive anything but a lynching, or two subsequent kill shots during the same round. If a kill is attempted on them during the night, their attackers will know their identity.

-The Summoner. Their power lies in the ability to summon doppelgangers - this allows them to double the effect of someone's existing vote during the daytime lynch, and may be exercised once per day round. The doppelganger's presence will not be indicated until the daytime lynch goes through. The Summoner's pact is limited and may only be used thrice before it is exhausted.

-The Wildcard. Starting play with three blank cards, the Wildcard may magically inscribe any of these cards to duplicate the active power of any role no longer surviving in the game; each card is one use only, and abides by the power's usual limitations, number of shots and methods of acquiring shots excepted. The Wildcard will display as an ordinary rellyw until they use their first card, at which point they will properly display as the Indorani Wildcard to appropriate investigation.

---

Order of resolution (top to bottom):
(Switcher) Dhasan of Art
(Roleblockers) Jailer/Dhasan of Nature/Dhasan of Magic
(Framers) Consanguine Experiment/Dhasan of Devotion
(Investigative/Informative) Dhasan of Science/Syssin/Warden
(Others) Summoner/Vigilante/Conscript/Necromancer/Wildcard

---

This thread will remain open for a week before I begin the game - all that is necessary to sign up for the game is a post declaring intention. This post will be consistently updated with a list of players. Questions concerning roles and rules should be posted here, as well.

List of players:

Macavity
Vharen
Meskhenet
Moirean
Sarita
Desian
Haern
Aldric
Llok
Ilyon
Aryanne
Aarbrok
Minarael
Piper
Periluna
Jasline
Xenia
Kaeus
Damonicus
Aren
Daskalos
Teani
Demarcus
Esper
Alexina

i am rapture coder

Comments

• MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    oh my this seems more complicated than the last two!!  

But I am in!
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
    Aryanne
  • edited August 2013

Let me play!

Edit - It seems like the Dhason of Science would reveal the person's allegiance anyway, unless I'm missing something.

• @Vharen: If the Dhasan of Science attempts to investigate someone with no role, it will return a blank result. Most of the roles in the game do, necessarily, imply one form of allegiance or another, but on someone without a role it's useless.

i am rapture coder
  • Sign me up!
  • Right, I'm daft. Thanks for clarifying!

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    edited August 2013
    mememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememe
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    I'll play.
  • IosyneIosyne the Lair
    I'll play this time.
  • OMFG SO IN THIS TIME
  • I'll play. 
    IosyneOmei
  • Excellent.

i am rapture coder
  • In!
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
  • Vote: Moirean

I'm down
  • Let's do this.

• iiiinteresting!

Me me! Pick me!

• AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    Oh god yes....I am so in
  • Oh! Mememe.
    imageimage
  • TozToz
    edited August 2013
    I'm not sure I'm smart enough to play under the new rules : X

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    Could you explain the factional kill thing mentioned for the two conclaves? I'm sort of guessing that it works like a mafia kill if the conditions are met, but I just wanted to make sure.
  • It works exactly like a mafia kill, except that the Conclaves that meet the conditions vote on it instead of the designated scum - i.e. our Indorani.

In essence, this creates a scenario in which there are three potential groups of scum, all trying to get the factional kill.

i am rapture coder
    edited August 2013
    Hey @Omei, you might want to put the directions in your signature so we can continue to reference it throughout the game!  This one is going to be VERY confusing to play!  lol

ok questions...

what does "Gain a factional kill when the Indorani are eliminated, and they become the Conclaves with the most surviving members." mean?

And I seem confused on the kill routes to win:

If Indorani - kill everyone to win

If Rellyw - Kill Indorani => Conclaves

If Rebel - Kill Indorani => Loyalists but keep the Rellyw alive

If Loyalists - Kill Indorani => Rebel but keep the Rellyw alive

if this is correct what happens if the Rellyw dies and then the Indorani...who wins then??
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

• @Macavity: 'Factional kill' is a fancy way of referring to the night kill ability most commonly associated with the scum faction. In this ruleset, either the Indorani have a night kill, or the Conclaves with the most surviving members do.

Practically speaking, the Indorani need to achieve a majority - and therefore, control of the lynch - in order to win the game. They are the most obvious, present threat at the game's beginning, and all three factions have a vested interest in getting rid of them so they can achieve their own win conditions and potentially gain access to a factional kill.

No rellyw need to stay alive in order for the Conclaves to win; but once one coalition of Conclaves achieves a majority and eliminates all members of the opposing Conclaves, they are considered to have won. The rellyw win by eliminating the Indorani and the Conclaves both.

Therefore, the opening stages of the game entail getting rid of the Indorani - at the same time, though, the rellyw want to bump off Conclave members, and each Conclave wants a leg up on the other so they can access a factional kill and fulfill their own win conditions - the rellyw, Loyalist, and Rebel factions all have mutually exclusive win conditions, and each must capitalize on the presence of the Indorani while simultaneously attempting to destroy the Indorani.

The win conditions, briefly summarized:

-Indorani; establish a clear majority over the surviving players, and/or kill everyone.
    -Loyalists; kill all Rebels and Indorani, achieve majority over surviving rellyw and/or kill them all.
    -Rebels; kill all Loyalists and Indorani, achieve majority over surviving rellyw and/or kill them all.
    -Rellyw; kill all Loyalists, Rebels, and Indorani.

Does that all follow? Is there anything I have to explain more clearly? I understand it's a bit convoluted.

i am rapture coder
    but what if the Indorani kills off all the Rellyw, would that shut out the Conclaves from winning at all and thus the game be to survive till the Indorani are all dead?
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

• @Macavity: If the Indorani kill all the rellyw, then it becomes a three-way battle between the Rebel Conclaves, the Loyalist Conclaves, and the Indorani. When the Indorani are eliminated, the Conclaves with the most surviving members gain a factional kill. In such event as they are tied and cannot agree upon a satisfactory lynch - a sort of stalemate - I will randomly choose a victim; this, in effect, decides the game by coin flip. I consider that scenario immensely unlikely, however.

i am rapture coder
    ah so just to make sure I understand, and I apologize for the many posts on this...

So the Rebels and Loyalists all belong to the Conclaves over all, but only the Rebel or Loyalists know each other.  The Indorani and Rellyw will know each other and all groups can communicate with each other to coordinate votes and kills, but everyone will act on the boards as if they are Conclaves and vote for lynchings each day round?

Then each night round the Indorani will choose someone to kill off.  If the Indorani are killed off then the killings fall to the Rebels and Loyalists in which we will see 2 kills per night and still the 1 kill per day??

am I making this harder than it really is?!  lol

― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

• @Macavity: There are three coalitions: the Loyalists, Rebels, and Indorani. Players belonging to those coalitions will know each others' identities. The rellyw, as in other versions of Mafia, comprise an uninformed majority; they don't know who anybody is. Each night round, until all of them are eliminated, the Indorani will vote to kill someone. Once the Indorani are destroyed, this factional kill passes to the coalition with the most surviving members - if the two surviving coalitions are tied, no factional kill may be exercised - if one of the coalition members' role is blocked, however, this shifts the balance in favor of the other coalition.

E.G. the Indorani are dead, and the Rebels and Loyalists each have two surviving members. During the night, the Jailer locks up a Rebel, protecting them from night death and blocking their role; this allows the Loyalists to exercise a factional kill that night.

As in other versions of Mafia, optimal play is to pretend to be a rellyw, and gameplay will center around the daytime lynch, as is usual. There is no scenario in which more than one factional kill can exist at once; the most possible deaths per night is two, via factional kill and Vigilante arrow.

i am rapture coder
    ah ok, that makes better sense!  thanks!
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

• Mm, this does look rather complex, hopefully it won't get confusing! Random questions:
    - Dhasan of Nature: can his target still post during day rounds?
    - Dhasan of Art: will the active role user be told about the illusion (I'm assuming not)? Does the switch apply to lynches?
    - Jailer: is the jailing action resolved before any other?
    - Are anonymous messages allowed?

• PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    Yeaaaah boy! Count me in!
  • I'm in!!!!