Association Laws

Comments

• @Lin defiantly not! On both sides we need to be a bit less trigger happy...or button happy.
  • Association laws are retarded. It's one of the biggest reasons why I as a player left the lifers, was glad to leave the lifers, and don't have a large desire to return to the lifers.  I found them to be extremely annoying at an OOC level.  If I was in the room with an enemy, I had tells coming in from people telling me I was in danger if I was RPing with them and if I ever told them that, I was instantly demonized over CT or whatever.  It isn't that much fun to have to deal with and chances are I would have never defected if that didn't exist.

I know I'm one of the people that Sess has been interacting with in the darkies.  It's almost all about her wanting to know more of the history of the Ascendril and stories that Tral has gathered over the years in regards to many of the events and such in the past that are of interest.  It is a friendly relationship, but not treasonous. I like to think that Tral's stories are generally fun to listen to and give lots of information in regards to certain subjects and for certain things, he's going to be the best source of information (such as how the Ascendril came to be).  I actually liked talking to Sess and she never expressed interest in switching sides (and I'd grab her up into my guild pretty quick) and it would be a loss if she was actually punished for seeking out the guild's history and doing research.  

I'm sure a lot of you remember the whole thing that happened with Moi/Tral's engagement.  I received some flak from BL/guild for that, but it was a reasonable level. The crap that lifers did to Moi as both a character and a player were just excessive.  We still killed each other over lessers and the like and did our duties which was all BL/Sciomancers wanted from me (I got some fun interactions with that drama too), Moi was just mechanically stripped of everything and eventually ousted and now she's on our side.  Sure that should generally be discouraged, but we were in the unique position of sharing the same order and had been working together for years/decades without any issue.  

In other news...

Darkies always need more people and our association laws are much better!
    PiperMoireanSessizlik
  • edited July 2013
    By the same token, though, where do you draw the line? At what point do you realize 'well, I'm interacting with these people on the other side in such a friendly manner that I should probably just go over there'? I find myself having to point out again that no one has been told in this situation that they cannot interact with anyone. What has been said is that a certain level of interaction is too familiar and should probably be pursued with a source that doesn't oppose the beliefs of Sess' organizations. And make no mistake, no one is punishing Sess. Ciarelle and Xavin talked about it for a little bit and both of them seemed to be of the opinion that anything too strict would just push her away. What this feels like is an overreaction and a failure to consider other avenues for roleplay. They're there.

The Ascendril really aren't that strict when it comes to association. We have no standing association laws. At the same time, it is perfectly fair for us to get irritable when we see our members hanging around Spireans and Bloodlochians, especially those that have the sciomancer class or are enemies of the guild (that's a blanket statement, I know that none of the people involved, at least that I know about, are enemied).

tl;dr, it's one thing to have respect for the people that oppose you and your orgs, one thing to work with them on occasion. But it's another thing to foster close relationships.

Edit: I know there has been a lot of pressure on Ciarelle from sources in Enorian to cut off Sess' interactions with spireans. And it's really not fair to behave like she's the world's biggest jerk for suggesting that someone start to look closer to home for some rp rather than go to people on the other side for everything, especially when she's getting crap for being, quote unquote, too lax about cross-side interactions.

• AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    Last year, I almost left Bloodloch because of interaction with a lifer character.
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    My question is.. if you're leaving an org because an interaction with another character was so interesting.. why not go? it's a natural part of character development. Either your character learns to stay strong and grows from that, or they leave and that is also a growth. Or they leave and come back going 'oh man, that was so wrong'. Without all the rebellious, 'that place sucks! I hate being grounded' nonsense.

Honestly, I think Ciarelle sounds like she went it the right way. Place standards but not remove that contact. 'You're a part of a guild, act it... just.. play it safe, we have our eye on you'.
    XavinArenCiarelleAngweJasline
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    Instead of saying "Oh my god don't let that necromancer tell you about pastries", maybe the guild should have said "Ok, do this apprenticeship, but your mission is to try and convert her to not being a terrible baby-eating darkie". Also in that category, "Give the Spireans muffins, but also give them the Good Word about our lord Damariel the Saviour". There's an ic way to support AND influence the RP.

MoireanMinaraelAmelas
  • Except that's not what was said at all. Honestly, is it so unreasonable to suggest that that avenue of roleplay be approached with someone a bit more friendly to the beliefs of the guild she's in? Likewise, is it that unreasonable to say, as Piper put it, 'Wou're in this guild, remember that. We're watching and others are too.'

I honestly feel that, at this point, this thread is turning into a bag-on-the-ascendril thread that is getting based on half-information and over reactions.

• You draw that line on a case by case basis.  You can't just put out blanket things because there's a million variables in any given situation.  Sometimes they're not always clear cut.  In generally you should be running around making love children with opposing orgs without repercussions.  My line of thought is basically does it make a difference to myself or orgs that I'm a part of?  Diversity in my eyes and Tral's eyes is a strength.  Having friends among your enemies isn't bad, but the friendship is going to be different between me and a lifer than it is going to be between me and a darky.  

You know what I do when I see a sciomancer interacting with a lifer? Nothing.  Don't discuss it, don't even worry about it.  You have to be doing something very unbecoming in your association for me to even register it.  They wanna go bashing with an ascendril?  Go for it, we may get a new member when the ascendril kick them out and we don't for the same offense.  If you are in the guild and have actually advanced passed the novice stage, I trust you're responsible enough to deem what is fit and what isn't and doesn't require me to be your nanny.

At a certain level, your characters have to trust those that you are leading.  OOCly, you should not be dictating everything a character can do.  ICly you should trust your members to follow what is right for their org, they're all adults, and not be so paranoid if they go to the other side.  I know that attitude has driven off quite a few people.  You lead at their pleasure, your character should realize that based on the mechanics of the game.  You can try to be a tyrant and build up your power base and all that if you want to do that, but that isn't really a fun place to be for the people not in the majority and stifles a lot of the interactions in the game you can have.
    Minarael
  • Eleanor said:
    Instead of saying "Oh my god don't let that necromancer tell you about pastries", maybe the guild should have said "Ok, do this apprenticeship, but your mission is to try and convert her to not being a terrible baby-eating darkie". Also in that category, "Give the Spireans muffins, but also give them the Good Word about our lord Damariel the Saviour". There's an ic way to support AND influence the RP.
    To be very, very fair here -- and for the sake of a counter-argument -- Eleanor's been a Spirean Cabalist her entire(?) life. What character with any advanced knowledge of the world is going to suggest the former avenue of RP knowing it's most likely been tried again and again and had no effect? I'm not saying they couldn't have, despite that knowledge, but it's just as IC to take that into account and make decisions based on that.

Your latter idea, however, is viable.
  • Again, you're ignoring practically EVERYTHING that I am saying.

No one is getting kicked out of the guild.
    No one is getting punished.
    The ascendril generally turn a blind eye to most interactions within reason.
    No one is trying to dictate what a character can and cannot do.

Unless Enorian is giving her crap for her associations, which I doubt based on what Ciarelle has said to me, this is the first time it's come up. And really, this is the first time that I can think of that this has ever become an issue in the Ascendril, aside from some crap with Calipso, but we hardly did anything to her when she was bashing with Alexina, aside from saying 'hey, you might want to be careful there'.

• I think there may be two threads of conversation here.

Thread one is a generalized discussion on grey-area RP relating to cross-faction interactions.

Thread two is a specific situation. 

I think these threads are getting crossed in odd ways. 

imageimage
    MoireanAryanneHadoryuNola
  • edited July 2013
    When Macian was a Luminary, we killed off most of the guild association laws. I think formal laws are silly That said, looking back as someone who moved on from Enorian, this is the part that I always hated about Enorian...
    Minarael said:
    Iunno about the Ascendril, but I feel pretty strongly that some of Enorian's guilds should be interacting with Spireans in a friendly manner. They should be approaching them, forming bonds, and encouraging them to shift allegiances. Conversion is a tough thing. Asking someone to abandon their closely held ethical and moral beliefs is not something one does lightly. Characters who focus on that 'Beacon' aspect of Enorian's RP really need to have some wiggle room with association. There's a reason why missionaries go into foreign nations and build hospitals and orphanages and the like. They immerse themselves in the culture of the group they want to bring their faith to, offer them solace and healing and see to their practical needs because it opens the door to the good, charitable feelings that open minds to new ideas. It is paradigm shifting. You don't get that through a friendly but distant nod. We can't have missionaries who build better infrastructure, but they can build goodwill in other ways. 

That said, backlash about that wiggle room that doesn't entirely kill it can and should still occur, I just don't think it should be institutionalized by the city and by at least some of the guilds. Tension is created by the grey area. If it isn't banned, but the general idea is that bonds formed are for the purposes of opening the path to conversion, there is no real, concrete way to -prove- that's the intent of a relationship. Some people are bound to get prickly, point accusatory fingers, view missionary-style characters with distrust or outright hatred. That can create interesting RP. Drawing hard lines in the sand actually KILLS avenues of RP, it doesn't help strengthen the core role of a guild or other organization. 

There are few people who play truly “evil” characters.

Enorian is set up to treat the undead/necromancers as evil. We debate “is it the skill, or the person” and endlessly come back to “it’s the skill”.

Yet, in real life, we’re taught that oppression and discrimination, purges, and idealistic purity, are generally the tools of the bad guys (e.g. the Nazis).

So, we end up with a city that is positioned as the “good” city, where people go if they want to be Priests (looking at you, Luminaries. Sorry) or Paladins or Monks, as the one doing the discriminating.

This discrimination is generally maintained as the status quo, via players, and sometimes admin, so that we don’t end up with necromancers or vampires in the “good” cities in the name of understanding and peace (Yeah, guilty as charged. Macian used to be an Indorani Benandanti). Realistically, it's the only IC thing holding the city to that stance - Enorian is always forced to fall back on things like "the gods said so" to defend anti undead stances. Again, primarily because the evil people in the game aren't evil, and the non-player evidence that says they are is largely glossed over based on player interactions.

On the other side, we have the vampires and undead, which I claim people don’t really play as “evil”, being “evil-light”, where their RP stance against Enorian is often “You’re bigots, you should be more accepting”. They’re not out pillaging and raping (for the most part) or conducting necromantic experiments (even though vivisect is pretty sick if you think about the message) or draining people dry and loving it. I don't mean that in a judgemental way, it's simply not something that most people want to RP, because as real people we're not like that.

Enorian’s basic concept (and, to a lesser extend, the way in which we all interact in Aetolia) is tragically flawed, because in order to play the “good” side, you have to do what you, as a person, consider to be bad things. And, while this can make for interesting RP at times, it’s not something that everyone wants to do consistently.

Evil-light isn’t going to go away, because no one wants to be “stomping on babies” evil (Yeah, that imagery makes me cringe too – that’s my point), so that's not the solution.

Enorian needs stronger RP to back up why Shadow/Undeath is evil, because 90% of the time, when someone challenges you ICly as to why you hate undeath, you end up floundering like a fish out of water looking for reasons.

Enorian also hasn’t been given as much support by gods/admin/events (again, due to the purity RP) that would work as an out for them to ease up on the discrimination and purity side of things and shift, as an organization, to other options. There are no game mechanics beyond convincing someone to switch sides and get the cure (which, let’s face it, is almost always a completely OOC decision). Until those two things happen, Enorian is going to continue to burn people out.

(Duiran could use a bit of help too. I’d love to see some kind of solution that kills the “Is it skills or is it the person” debate once and for all)

Angwe
    edited July 2013
    I should probably add, I'm not accusing anyone of being horned equines with what I said- those were just, you know, suggestions for ways the brass could handle it to try and make it fun for Sess.

I suppose the reason Sess' situation is upsetting to her- and correct me if I'm wrong of course, but this is how I'd feel- is that sometimes people have a certain way they want their character to be, and when RP stacks up to force either sub-optimal mechanics adjustments (ragequit, enemy status, losing lessons, etc), or angry/uncomfortable/tense IC results, it can be a bit of a buzz kill. I get that it's completely IC for that to be Just The Way It Is, and that one can't get legitimately mad at the people who are being straight and doing what RP tells them to do, but it's still a bummer on a personal level. Drama and stuff is character building and can be exciting, but sometimes you just want your pretendy funtime game to be quiet and pleasant. (Disclaimer: Yes I know that's at times unreasonable to ask because of all the other RP that would be bent to support it. Doesn't make wistful what-ifs any less of a thing.)

Also I guess you got a point there, Atra (though I do wonder just how badly the Ascendril and Cabalist ideals clash- aren't the Ascendril supposed to be scholars?). The rest of what I'm saying still stands though!

• I was talking in general, not about any specific case, just using examples.  I also don't think that's the message you conveyed to Sess.  

Here's the message I got from her:
       6188  Sessizlik    7/09/2013
     Hello, sir. It has been wonderful getting to know you and hearing all your
    stories. I have learned a lot from you, but I'm afraid I have been forced to cut
    all ties with my Spirean and Lochian contacts. It is not a decision I have made
    myself, but sadly nothing I can change. I hope you don't think less of me
    because of this. Sincerely, Sessizlik.

So I'm going to go ahead and say that what has actually been done is very similar to what I was describing in many ways.  Whether or not you'd oust for it is one thing, but if the person thinks that you will it's much to the same effect.
  • @Tralendar Yeah, that was an overreaction on Sessizlik's part. She wasn't told that she had to cut ties with her contacts, that's an assumption she jumped to, from what I was told. And I am pretty certain that Ciarelle wouldn't lie to me both icly and oocly about it.

Ciarelle
  • Atrapoema said:
    Eleanor said:
    To be very, very fair here -- and for the sake of a counter-argument -- Eleanor's been a Spirean Cabalist her entire(?) life. What character with any advanced knowledge of the world is going to suggest the former avenue of RP knowing it's most likely been tried again and again and had no effect? I'm not saying they couldn't have, despite that knowledge, but it's just as IC to take that into account and make decisions based on that.

Your latter idea, however, is viable.
    I think you're touching on one of the biggest issues here - no one realistically expects that Eleanor's going to be converted. Suspension of disbelief and support of an idea can only go so far. I'd love to see some sort of consistent mechanic that at least gives us other examples of NPCs, who are considered part of a guild/org, being cured or converted so that someone can at least make a reasonable argument that it's possible, instead of people just rolling their eyes at the idea.
    Even trying to plant the seed of 'hey, maybe Science by Any Means Necessary isn't the best operating procedure' could be viable, though. Aren't the lighters supposed to be heavily invested in making long shots? What with the whole 'trying to reverse the whole Midnight Age' thing?

• @Xavin I know it may not have been your intent, but it seems it was miscommunicated to Sess what would happen if she continued to do what she was doing both ICly and to the player since that's the whole reasons this whole discussion started.

@Macian Lifers are generally the evil doers in confrontations between lifers and darkies.  I know Tral is more than willing to do very evil acts in order to achieve what would generally be considered a good thing, but he's well aware of it.  He was even preaching back as a lifer about how evil is something that must be done for the greater good as a lifer (which was received well by only a few people).  As he got older, he came to the conclusion that eliminating the undead wasn't really in the greater good and was a relatively evil goal to strive for.  So to do the greater good of the world, Tral went ahead and did lots of evil in murdering something like 1200 troops in betrayal to switch over and cease working for the greater evil of exterminating undead.  Granted, this whole thing is a tangent, but I find it fun to talk about.
  • Eleanor said:
    Even trying to plant the seed of 'hey, maybe Science by Any Means Necessary isn't the best operating procedure' could be viable, though. Aren't the lighters supposed to be heavily invested in making long shots? What with the whole 'trying to reverse the whole Midnight Age' thing?
    I don't recall hearing anyone talking about ending the midnight age when Macian was Morningstar, and I thought they purposefully stopped talking about it after everyone got sick of trying for 10 RL years and not making any progress.

I do get what you're saying, and I there is an element of the Hail Mary kind of mindset in lighters: I even made a Luminary task to picket Spinesreach and Bloodloch with "The end is nigh" signs (No one took me up on it). I just find it really hard to get into something that I know is an impossible goal on a RL level, so personally I don't see it as sustainable  long-term RP. 

• Macian said:
    A lot.
    There are a bunch of different, only quasi-related points here. Let me attempt to dissect. 

- Evil is incredibly subjective. I haven't been playing long enough to see how it has been done in various factions, but I've seen it demonstrated in a variety of ways in Imperian, in both typically evil organizations and organizations that are supposed to be the 'good' organizations. Aetolia, from everything I've seen, has a higher standard of RP and I highly doubt that there aren't -any- good examples of players willing to throw themselves into RP that doesn't fit what they, the players, would do in the real world. I mean, the recent saga in Spinesreach seems to demonstrate some of that. 

- There are a number of avenues of achieving Enorian's goal of ending the undead threat. One way is to simply slaughter every undead you come across. Another way is through conversion and prevention. These are not mutually exclusive avenues to explore. A person might attempt to convert by being a generally open-minded person towards those on the fence (say not-undead Spireans) and yet still be perfectly committed to slaughtering that person should the need arise. One very important aspect of some Enorian guild's RP is the idea that they should be a haven for those coming to their senses and trying to rebuild lives destroyed by their association with the Dark icky side. As far as I can see, none of these orgs say, "Be blind, love everyone."  The idea is more to be prepared to listen and guide but come with strong defenses and the willingness/capacity to slaughter the horde if necessary. 

- There are plenty of extremely well thought out reasons presented in a number of areas about why Enorians should be against the undead hordes. If you aren't aware of them, look harder. I've only been in Enorian a week and I could point out several without really even looking for them. 

- Lots of people enjoy playing 'stomping on babies' evil characters. One of my old characters used to steal babies, turn them into crazy Frankenstein-esque creations, and stuff them with bombs. That's sort of why some of us play these games, because we can do ridiculous things in a fantasy setting. 

- Divine support has absolutely nothing to do with this current discussion. 
    imageimage
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Let's move on from talking about the Ascendril.
  • edited July 2013
    Minarael said:
    Macian said:
    A lot.
    There are a bunch of different, only quasi-related points here. Let me attempt to dissect. 

- Evil is incredibly subjective. I haven't been playing long enough to see how it has been done in various factions, but I've seen it demonstrated in a variety of ways in Imperian, in both typically evil organizations and organizations that are supposed to be the 'good' organizations. Aetolia, from everything I've seen, has a higher standard of RP and I highly doubt that there aren't -any- good examples of players willing to throw themselves into RP that doesn't fit what they, the players, would do in the real world. I mean, the recent saga in Spinesreach seems to demonstrate some of that. 

- There are a number of avenues of achieving Enorian's goal of ending the undead threat. One way is to simply slaughter every undead you come across. Another way is through conversion and prevention. These are not mutually exclusive avenues to explore. A person might attempt to convert by being a generally open-minded person towards those on the fence (say not-undead Spireans) and yet still be perfectly committed to slaughtering that person should the need arise. One very important aspect of some Enorian guild's RP is the idea that they should be a haven for those coming to their senses and trying to rebuild lives destroyed by their association with the Dark icky side. As far as I can see, none of these orgs say, "Be blind, love everyone."  The idea is more to be prepared to listen and guide but come with strong defenses and the willingness/capacity to slaughter the horde if necessary. 

- There are plenty of extremely well thought out reasons presented in a number of areas about why Enorians should be against the undead hordes. If you aren't aware of them, look harder. I've only been in Enorian a week and I could point out several without really even looking for them. 

- Lots of people enjoy playing 'stomping on babies' evil characters. One of my old characters used to steal babies, turn them into crazy Frankenstein-esque creations, and stuff them with bombs. That's sort of why some of us play these games, because we can do ridiculous things in a fantasy setting. 

- Divine support has absolutely nothing to do with this current discussion. 

What my initial post was trying to get at was that there's a dissonance between what people might want to play in Enorian, with more grey areas, and what the current RP of the guilds is -- RP which is backed up by history, players, and the events the Divine run (yes, I absolutely do think divine influence is relevant to this discussion. Read up on things like Ashtan citizenship laws for Bahkatu, Necromancers in Duiran, or Necromancers being forced out of Duiran. They're all divinely influenced. "LOL Artifice" might also be a good search :P ). 

To make Enorian's RP more flexible, and to stop the things others are talking about, where people are being really tough about association laws and lacking in missionary/redemption/grey areas/whatever else you want, a shift needs to happen away from that hardline/zealot RP stance. Enorian needs an out, like Duiran got. Duiran's was influenced by some great players, but also didn't have divine fighting against it.

While you might feel that Enorian's reasons to oppose undeath are well thought out, I never found them to be compelling. They attempt to cast Undeath/Shadow into a very traditional good vs. evil role, which doesn't fit Aetolia. I think there needs to be some change in that from Enorian's perspective, again, to allow for more leeway.

To me, redemption and active missionary style work is not  core tenet of Enorian. It hasn't been for years. This opinion comes from a number of years of RP and leadership in Enorian. Perhaps a lot has changed in the past 8+ months since I left Eno and the Luminaries. If it has, perhaps someone can enlighten me. At first blush, it doesn't appear that way.

• HavenHaven World Burner Flight School

@Macian there is plenty reason not to like the other side that's fully and strongly supported by lore in Enorian's case. The problem, however, comes from the fact that quite a few players on both sides either, intentionally or otherwise, ignore their roles entirely OR don't convey their roles convincingly/properly as separate from the established standard.

This happens for a number of reasons. Maybe they don't fully understand the lore. Maybe they aren't particularly interested in the role-playing aspects of Aetolia and thus are casual powergamers. Maybe they just don't know how. Maybe they just don't care. Maybe they just don't realize that their actions contradict what they're saying but that might tie into the first one of them not understanding the lore. The list goes on and on.

[spoiler]

Enorian's organizations try to stand against: Artifice, Corruption/Shadow, Undeath, and Wickedness.

Artifice and Wickedness go hand-in-hand in why they're viewed as "bad" and "evil". It's because hurting others or tricking others on a nefarious level are the seeds/tools used to foster environments of Corruption and Shadow.

Corruption/Shadow is bad/evil and should be avoided because it's a neon sign for the temptations of Undeath and Necromancy.

Undeath was bad/evil because your existence literally started to corrode the world. It used to be that being a Necromancer and or undead (worse if you're both) actually gave room messages that you're withering life around you and gradually killed plant growth mechanically in the room you stood in. This approach has since been retconned I think and it's now more of an unseen threat. Something changes in the background in the fabric of our world that we are not yet aware of. It's a big secret being kept tightly guarded by Severn. Arion knew what was up but I guess Severn made everyone forget somehow? So now it's just this nagging feeling that Severn is up to something super super bad. Not exactly sure here though. This is where a lot of the lore gets foggy due to retcons and unfinished plots and stuff. Anyway, the premise is the fear of the unknown.

Lighters: Yo man. That's bad mojo. Let's not do that stuff.

Darkies: Pfft. You're paranoid or think of all da power! or I just don't give a unicorn ain't hurting me now or You got it wrong mang, something glorious is gonna happen at the end. Xgod promised. Etc.

Duiran's organizations, from what I understand or what's been conveyed, try to stand against: Undeath and maybe...maybe Shadow. They're not so much concerned with Wickedness or Artifice on a brass level because the Wilds are harsh and you do what you gotta do to survive. Anything is fair game so long as you're not threatening the natural Cycle.

Bloodloch's organizations try to stand against: Weakness. That's ultimately what it boils down to. Undeath is seen as an enhancement of self and a progression to something better as they were taught by Ivoln or whatever but somehow ties back to Severn and His secret or something.

Spinesreach's organizations, from what I understand or what's been conveyed, try to stand against: all threats to the Motherland and at one point Severn. This was his main base of operations but I dunno anymore.

[/spoiler]

¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • Tralendar said:
    @Xavin I know it may not have been your intent, but it seems it was miscommunicated to Sess what would happen if she continued to do what she was doing both ICly and to the player since that's the whole reasons this whole discussion started.

@Macian Lifers are generally the evil doers in confrontations between lifers and darkies.  I know Tral is more than willing to do very evil acts in order to achieve what would generally be considered a good thing, but he's well aware of it.  He was even preaching back as a lifer about how evil is something that must be done for the greater good as a lifer (which was received well by only a few people).  As he got older, he came to the conclusion that eliminating the undead wasn't really in the greater good and was a relatively evil goal to strive for.  So to do the greater good of the world, Tral went ahead and did lots of evil in murdering something like 1200 troops in betrayal to switch over and cease working for the greater evil of exterminating undead.  Granted, this whole thing is a tangent, but I find it fun to talk about.
    @Tralendar I don't think it's a tangent. It has a huge influence on why we create association laws in the first place. It's that dissonance I was talking about again. Enorian is (always has been, at least) divided into two main groups. Zealot type RP, and more traditionally good RP. It attracts people who want the latter, but repeatedly gets pushed back to the former, because that appears to be the intended role of the city in-game. I think, to some extent, your opinion that Lifers are generally the evil doers is exacerbated by this perceived need of players and admin to make Enorian more extreme.

I think it also goes back to that line @Xavin was talking about - where do you drawn it? What I'm wondering is if we could make the line less distinct if we had more examples NPC's defecting and flowing between sides (essentially examples that don't require a player to make a massive choice, like Tral did), and a chance for players from either side to interact with the NPC's -and each other- to try to influence that change. That way, the RP is still taking place between sides, but it's not focused on the "impossible" task of converting a player, it's focused on converting an NPC. 

Maybe @haern's factions will have something like this. I dunno.

• edited July 2013
    @haven perhaps it's been reinforced, or I'm forgetting a few things. Maybe you can point me to some examples that you feel are strong? It might be that your and my opinion of "fully and strongly" just differs, but I'd like to make sure I'm not barking up the wrong tree.

Edit:

I missed the spoiler tag thing. 

I get what you're saying in your summary of positions (Some of it is reversed, in my experience, though), but I really don't find the Enorian position to be strong or fully developed. That's partly because of all the retcons, unfinished plots, and other stuff you mentioned, but also because there are things that are just too vaguely defined in general.

I'm not saying that Enorian doesn't have RP to back it up hating the undead/shadow, I'm saying that there are big holes that make it a bit nonsensical. Either those holes need to be a bit more filled in (which we've been trying to do for years now) or the grey areas need to be embraced, in which case I think there's some great potential for mechanics to help people out (see above post to Tral).
  • I've stated it in the past, and I'll do so again.  I think one of the biggest issues with why we have association laws comes from admin enforcing a polarization in the game.  Any organization that has set out to become a grayer area has been squashed out of existence.  I know that with Slyphe's order, I and a few others fleshed out a lot of the ideas of what Slyphe stood for because for the bulk of my time in Slyphe's order (~200 years), there was no active god. After everything became polarized, Slyphe's order was able to become one of those greyer areas over time and had people from all cities in the order with grander schemes than undead/lifer conflict.  It was actually a fun organization to be a part of, then someone up top decided that the order needed to be on a definite side of the game, completely throwing away tons and tons of RP to the contrary for some flimsy reason.  I know that I and others were very upset with that because in little time, what we had worked very damn hard to build up was thrown away because it wasn't polarized like the rest of the game.  Someone claimed that Duiran was a grey area, but it isn't.  It is firmly in the lifer camp, it's just a different flavor of it.  

A lot of lifer RP falls into the all undeaders are bad mindset, in which association short of fighting is bad.  I know that when I was a lifer, I associated with lots of darkies and was constantly criticized for doing so because it wasn't in the established mindset.  When I was CL of Ashtan (albeit briefly), I got a ton of flak for bashing with Desian (CL of BL) whilst discussing diplomatic issues between the two cities.  It wasn't that I was talking about the issues, it was that I was bashing with him when talking about them, that was too friendly of a way to negotiate, as instead I should have talked to him in some office somewhere or something.  In certain respects that has gotten better over the years, but I would not make the claim that the same sort of issues I had have gone away.  I find that being an undeader is much more fun to play as because I can actually go into those grey areas of interaction without being harassed/ostracized by my orgs. I found the lifer/undeader polarization stale since it came out, so maybe I'm a little biased here.
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    At the risk of starting a flame war, after saying all of this, @Tralendar, why did you give @Xavin so much flak for talking with me right after I sidehopped?
  • edited July 2013
    @Arbre That's easy. Tral hated Xavin and wanted him gone.  You've seen Tral when he gets his mind set on something, he'll do everything he can to make it happen.  If he didn't he wouldn't have cared.
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School

Yeaaah... I'm not too sure about hunting with the enemy. While I don't consider the act in of itself intimate in anyway, what Darkies are allowed to hunt in clear conscience for their established roles are in no way near as constricting as what Lighters are allowed. So I probably would've been like "Yo, make sure you ain't letting him nuke <ideally good areas> during your discussion." were I playing a character that cared for that sort of thing.

I believe that association laws are, for the most part, a ridiculous policy undertaken in both an IC and OOC setting. No offense truly meant to anyone when I say this but it's the extreme and ultimately futile tool of the lazy if only for the fact that if someone's motivated enough, they'll do what they want anyway.

Don't get me wrong. That's not to say that there shouldn't be consequences to anyone's actions. Quite the contrary. BUT. Punishments, official or otherwise, should fit the crime. It shouldn't be about who you are with so much as what it is you're actually doing with them and is the action actually harmful to the organization, its ideals or its reputation.

In that same vein, the player that decides to play outside their organization's established norm with the enemy should be fully prepared to deal with the consequences that might come their way and or fight for their stance or at the very least present their case. If you don't want to deal with consequences or the possible headaches as a player, don't put yourself in that position. This is another reason why I feel like guilds should lose their function as class dispensers (give that to NPCs or quests or remove the guild requirement for apprenticeship all together) and center them solely around ideals and goals.

¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    Piper
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    edited July 2013
    Whatever comes should be a cause of their own character's actions regarding these laws.. Consequences, man! They happen! If it happens, it happens. I chose a side for a reason and I'll either stick with it and what comes from it or I'll get out. I don't think that's asking too much from any character.
    Ciarelle