Newbie Q&A

1246

Comments

  • SynneSynne Member Posts: 20 ✭✭✭
    I wish I had some killer advice that would magically work for you, but social anxiety is so personal and varied. I found being in a guild works rather well because you have people with whom you share a commonality instantly, so it makes things less awkward to speak with them. I tend to force myself to interact, even if it's just saying hello on the channels of every org I belong to. I still panic when the occasional RP comes along, but I force myself through this as well, telling myself that the more I do it the easier it will become.

    I also found that having a purpose - a reason to speak to others - helps a great deal. If I have a task for my Order that necessitates speaking to others, I can normally force myself to do it so as not to disappoint.

    So that's my advice:

    Be persistent and speaking will become easier (face your fears, as it were)
    Take on tasks and join organisations that will keep you busy (so you have a solid reason to interact other than socialising (which is, gah, hard).

    This is a wonderful world, filled with really great people. If you stick with it, eventually you'll gather the all important circle of friends that will keep you coming back despite any other frustrations you have.
  • SynneSynne Member Posts: 20 ✭✭✭
    Also...

    At the risk of sounding biased, the very first time I started (ever so briefly) in Aet, I joined Spinesreach. I didn't last long, not because the people were unwelcoming (because everyone was super friendly and helpful) but because of the insistence on addressing people by titles - which were not always immediately apparent. After a few times being corrected (and reassured it wasn't a big deal), I stopped talking altogether. I found the insistence on formality added an extra layer of complexity to an already difficult situation of confronting something new.

    The second time, I joined Duiran. The informality suited me better and it was easier to talk when I wasn't worried about saying the wrong thing.

    Again, not to malign any city in particular. Just sharing my experience.
  • ZailaZaila Pacific TimeMember Posts: 261 ✭✭✭✭
    Synne said:


    I joined Spinesreach. I didn't last long, not because the people were unwelcoming (because everyone was super friendly and helpful) but because of the insistence on addressing people by titles - which were not always immediately apparent..

    Maybe this was a stricter thing in the past, but in the various spans over the years that I've played in Spinesreach, I've never been told to address anyone in the city by titles.

    In some guilds within Spinesreach, there have been guild rules that demand title-usage to other guild members, though.
  • DrestynDrestyn BloodlochMember Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    I don't call anyone by their title unless they're in the Carnifex/City leader and it's only on the first time they meet me or, in the case of Xenia, permanently their given name for me. I don't think I've ever called Xenia by her name. Everyone else just gets their first name.

  • NiaNia TrashyMember Posts: 81 ✭✭✭
    So umm... I was browsing through the gallery on the Aetolia website looking for character inspiration...



    Is it just me or does this trouserless imp not have... you know... parts?!
    Zaila
  • DrestynDrestyn BloodlochMember Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a Cabalist. Might've been blown off or somethin'. I dunno.

  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee Member Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might be some sort of elaborate tucking going on.




    Nia
  • MissariMissari Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    He's tucked so hard he gave himself a wrinkle. Poor Fella.
  • NiaNia TrashyMember Posts: 81 ✭✭✭
    Are there any good ways to gain experience other than bashing? Particularly at L80+
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee Member Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noooot really.




  • DraimanDraiman Dr. Drai Member Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard if you've got a spare 100cr that fishing is ridiculously lucrative in terms of experience.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.



    NiaNozuzius
  • VaskarVaskar Member Posts: 57 ✭✭✭
    Nia said:

    Are there any good ways to gain experience other than bashing? Particularly at L80+

    Stacking experience boosts can level you VERY quickly via bashing. Like, "I did 80-100 in two days and could have done it in one" quickly. Ask your city about chocolates and chalices.
  • NozuziusNozuzius LondonMember Posts: 5
    edited September 2016
    If you're anti bashing, fishing is certainly a viable alternative, though it's feeling somewhat less so since more and more people are jumping on board and my preferred fishing holes are getting fished out faster. Between lessers and fishing I haven't hunted since 80, and I'm about to hit 112, I can't really give a time frame because I wasn't paying much attention, but time to 100 was around a month roughly? I do spend a fairly ridiculous amount of time fishing though, mileage will vary.

    Edit: I think hour for hour, bashing is notably better xp (depending on class, knowledge etc), but fishing lends itself to doing other things, like coding while you're doing it, it takes much less attention to consistently fish than it does to bash.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee Member Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I forgot about fishing because you can't eat raw fish.




    Draiman
  • NiaNia TrashyMember Posts: 81 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice. I did end up buying fishing and while it's not much more fun than bashing, it is a convenient way that I can be 'productive' IG while also being productive IRL working etc.

    I wouldn't say it's ridiculously lucrative in terms of XP, at least not at the level I am now. (Perhaps it gets better later on?) But for the lack of risk factor (e.g., not ending up dead if I lag or need to take care of a cat-related emergency) and the ability to do other things, it's pretty good.

    I doubt I'll get to L100 by fishing, in any reasonable time-frame. But it might at least shave off a few hours here and there that I'd have wasted anyway.
    Irae
  • XeniaXenia Member Posts: 884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another praise to fishing: You can earn gold from filling the buckets and selling them. With said goal, you can possibly find a way to purchase and collect elemental globes, which in turn can be quite lucrative XP wise.

    I don't know all the possible methods for gaining elemental globes, typically I buy them off of others but maybe it's possible to chance into finding them IG through the cryptic chests/giftbags? Someone else more informed will likely pipe up and say.
    image
    Nia
  • DrestynDrestyn BloodlochMember Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    Nia said:

    Thanks for the advice. I did end up buying fishing and while it's not much more fun than bashing, it is a convenient way that I can be 'productive' IG while also being productive IRL working etc.

    I wouldn't say it's ridiculously lucrative in terms of XP, at least not at the level I am now. (Perhaps it gets better later on?) But for the lack of risk factor (e.g., not ending up dead if I lag or need to take care of a cat-related emergency) and the ability to do other things, it's pretty good.

    I doubt I'll get to L100 by fishing, in any reasonable time-frame. But it might at least shave off a few hours here and there that I'd have wasted anyway.

    I had gotten to 99 and 100 with fishing on another character. It's possible. Though, I was also on back to back chalices and was basically fishing non-stop.

  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee Member Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not very efishcient.




    KelliaraKerryn
  • CinarraCinarra Member Posts: 12
    Hi, I am pretty new to Aetolia, though I used to play some other IRE muds a ways back when I was a poor student. Now that I have $$$, I've been considering making some purchases, so I'm here looking for a bit of advice. The Iron Elite Membership thing seems like a pretty good deal, but I'd love more insight on it.

    With respect to the mentor bonus, do any of the subscription gains count toward this bonus, or is it strictly for actual credit purchases? Oh, and does the no-brainer bound credit package count for this bonus?

    I'm also wondering what artifact purchase might be the best investment for my character at this point, given that I'll probably have around 400 credits to spend. I have a Sciomancer, and the statpack I have is Intelligent.

    Would just converting to lessons for skills actually be the better use? (I got both the no-brainer lesson packages.)
  • IllidanIllidan Pray AreaMember Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cinarra said:

    Hi, I am pretty new to Aetolia, though I used to play some other IRE muds a ways back when I was a poor student. Now that I have $$$, I've been considering making some purchases, so I'm here looking for a bit of advice. The Iron Elite Membership thing seems like a pretty good deal, but I'd love more insight on it.

    With respect to the mentor bonus, do any of the subscription gains count toward this bonus, or is it strictly for actual credit purchases? Oh, and does the no-brainer bound credit package count for this bonus?

    I'm also wondering what artifact purchase might be the best investment for my character at this point, given that I'll probably have around 400 credits to spend. I have a Sciomancer, and the statpack I have is Intelligent.

    Would just converting to lessons for skills actually be the better use? (I got both the no-brainer lesson packages.)

    Well, firstly, Welcome to Aetolia!

    The Iron Elite Membership is definitely a great investment if you plan on playing Aetolia long term. As far as I know, the bonus only applies to credits purchased directly from the website unless otherwise specified. The bonus does usually stack with other credit sales that they usually have i.e. if they're giving a bonus 25% credits as a holiday bonus, you'd end up with 35%.

    Next, I'd only recommend artifacts after Transcending all of your skills. Vision, Avoidance, and Survival are pretty core for PK, if that's something you're interested in participating in. Transecnding a miniskill grants you 24% resistance to whatever element you choose.
                                    
                 Faaaaaaaaaaabulous!                                          Adorable!                                                               UHMAYZING!

    Calipso has been slain by the divine might of Razmael, the Synthesist.

    Illidan said: You already knew that there's some dumb-as-unicorns attention mongering wanna-be troll going around and robbing people.
    Calipso said: For the first time on the forums, Im actually 100% in agreement with Illidan.
  • CinarraCinarra Member Posts: 12
    Illidan said:

    Well, firstly, Welcome to Aetolia!

    The Iron Elite Membership is definitely a great investment if you plan on playing Aetolia long term. As far as I know, the bonus only applies to credits purchased directly from the website unless otherwise specified. The bonus does usually stack with other credit sales that they usually have i.e. if they're giving a bonus 25% credits as a holiday bonus, you'd end up with 35%.

    Next, I'd only recommend artifacts after Transcending all of your skills. Vision, Avoidance, and Survival are pretty core for PK, if that's something you're interested in participating in. Transecnding a miniskill grants you 24% resistance to whatever element you choose.

    Thanks for the welcome! I'm enjoying my time so far, though it hasn't been too long.

    With regards to PK, I am not sure if I'm terribly interested, but I won't count it out before trying it. The Ylem group stuff looks like it might be pretty fun, and a lot less involved compared to one-on-one fights. (Although maybe I'm wrong? I feel like any group fights were a lot more about coordination than skill/understanding of combat mechanics.) I am pretty glad that Firstaid exists, though. And it looks like there are quite a few quality of life improvements in general!

    I do like the sound of miniskills, and the general skills seem to offer a good bit of utility. That is quite a lot of lessons, though - is it recommended to transcend all those skills and miniskills (plus I guess any crafting skills?) before starting in on the artifact craze? I'm not sure if I'm seeing much use of endurance and willpower, for example - are those just resource pools for different classes?
  • IlyonIlyon Member Posts: 746 ✭✭✭
    Group fights are very different than 1v1, yes.

    Skills/artifacts - depends what you want to do. Generally skills give a bigger boost for the same cost, but there's no reason to get something that you'd never use. If you get the membership, you also get +5 lessons/day, and can fill in the gaps slowly that way.

  • IllidanIllidan Pray AreaMember Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cinarra said:

    Illidan said:

    Well, firstly, Welcome to Aetolia!

    The Iron Elite Membership is definitely a great investment if you plan on playing Aetolia long term. As far as I know, the bonus only applies to credits purchased directly from the website unless otherwise specified. The bonus does usually stack with other credit sales that they usually have i.e. if they're giving a bonus 25% credits as a holiday bonus, you'd end up with 35%.

    Next, I'd only recommend artifacts after Transcending all of your skills. Vision, Avoidance, and Survival are pretty core for PK, if that's something you're interested in participating in. Transecnding a miniskill grants you 24% resistance to whatever element you choose.

    Thanks for the welcome! I'm enjoying my time so far, though it hasn't been too long.

    With regards to PK, I am not sure if I'm terribly interested, but I won't count it out before trying it. The Ylem group stuff looks like it might be pretty fun, and a lot less involved compared to one-on-one fights. (Although maybe I'm wrong? I feel like any group fights were a lot more about coordination than skill/understanding of combat mechanics.) I am pretty glad that Firstaid exists, though. And it looks like there are quite a few quality of life improvements in general!

    I do like the sound of miniskills, and the general skills seem to offer a good bit of utility. That is quite a lot of lessons, though - is it recommended to transcend all those skills and miniskills (plus I guess any crafting skills?) before starting in on the artifact craze? I'm not sure if I'm seeing much use of endurance and willpower, for example - are those just resource pools for different classes?
    Ilyon answered the rest, but as far as crafting and mercantile skills go, they're completely unnecessary for PvP or PvE.
                                    
                 Faaaaaaaaaaabulous!                                          Adorable!                                                               UHMAYZING!

    Calipso has been slain by the divine might of Razmael, the Synthesist.

    Illidan said: You already knew that there's some dumb-as-unicorns attention mongering wanna-be troll going around and robbing people.
    Calipso said: For the first time on the forums, Im actually 100% in agreement with Illidan.
  • RhaelgarRhaelgar Member Posts: 2
    Are there any strongly recommended artifacts or "must have" skills for a Syssin who is primarily interested in bashing and leveling up? I am transcendent in subterfuge and assassination and I have learned up to Insomnia in survival. I'm a little overwhelmed by the artifact selection and not sure where to start.
  • FezzixFezzix Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    Rhaelgar said:

    Are there any strongly recommended artifacts or "must have" skills for a Syssin who is primarily interested in bashing and leveling up? I am transcendent in subterfuge and assassination and I have learned up to Insomnia in survival. I'm a little overwhelmed by the artifact selection and not sure where to start.

    The artifact shield is the best value for its price, hands down. After that, I would invest the lessons into maxing out your miniskills for further damage protection.

    If you're -really- willing to dump some money into it, get the Syssin hunting artifact and a level 2 or above Constitution artifact.

    Syssin is a weaker class for bashing unless you dump money into the strength and weapon rune artifacts. Alternatively, you could get the Sceptre of Duality.
  • CinarraCinarra Member Posts: 12
    edited November 2016
    Continuing the artifact talk, I'm finding myself not particularly interested in bashing except as a means to an end, and I'd actually rather just fish/globe my way to 100 instead. (I really enjoy fishing! Especially wandering around finding new fishing places. The fishing advancement system is great too!)

    That said, are there any notable artifacts for Sciomancers? Either for PVP or just quality of life type stuff? I've already got a short wishlist in mind - eq crown, mana boon, sip bonus health and/or mana (maybe?), magic potence, maybe the dominion crystal, and probably the protection amulet and/or a shield. Will the full 20/20 on the amulet apply if I'm wielding a shield?

    Is there anything I'm missing/overlooking? Alternatively, is there anything in that list that I'm maybe placing too much importance on, either due to nerfs, vague/misinterpreted help files or other factors?

    Edit: never mind about globes, I found at least some answers.
    Post edited by Cinarra on
  • IstiraIstira HereMember Posts: 6
    Hi!

    I've had a quick look around and couldn't find any threads that looked more promising than this one, but I see that nobody has posted in here for a while. I hope this is the right place.

    I've been playing for a few weeks now and loving it, even if everything still feels huge and confusing. I've been doing my best to find all the information I'm after IG, but I have an assortment of fairly specific questions remaining. I'm not yet comfortable enough with the setting to have any confidence in asking these kinds of questions IC without jeopardizing my character's RP, so I thought I'd bring them here to the forums instead.

    1. My character is a citizen of Spinesreach, and I'd really like to get more involved in city-specific RP. But I'm still confused about some very basic things, like the city's overarching goal, which cities are our allies or enemies, whether we have any standing formal alliances, if there's anything like an active war going on, and who we're just generally friendly/unfriendly towards.

    2. I've recently begun to dabble in fishing and I find the mechanic hugely confusing. The help file talks about finding a balance between line tension, fish stamina, and fish distance. I can occasionally land a successful catch every now and then, but for the most part, it seems like no amount of switching between LEADing and REELing can land a fish. Is this just because my skill level is low, and there are some fish that I simply have no chance of catching? Or am I doing it wrong?

    3. I'm interested in skilling up my Concoctions, since being able to maintain my own stock of curatives seems like a good idea. But literally everywhere I've gone and checked PLANTS, the 'amount' column shows 0/1. The description of the plant in the room indicates that they're healthy, but there's just nothing to pick. Is this normal? Is it something to do with seasons? Or am I just unlucky and looking in places that have already been harvested clean?

    4. I really enjoy exploring. In Midkemia Online, you could buy an artifact that tells you how much of a specific area you've successfully explored when you do SURVEY (displayed as a percentage, so there'd be a like telling you, "You have explored 70% of this area."). Does anything like that exist here in Aetolia?

    5. Eventually, I'd like to get involved in PvP (gulp). Can anyone offer some advice as to which skillsets and artifacts are critical, advantageous, or just nice to have?

    6. As an extension from 5, what are the main points of conflict between the different orgs? Is there something we all fight over on a regular basis?

    7. Artisanals and Bardics have always been one of my favourite features of IRE games, but I see on the Aetolia website that there haven't been any contests for quite some time. I looked around on the forums and saw that the ArtBards have been scaled back from monthly to a less fixed time period, but haven't found any evidence of even that. Have these been scrapped altogether? And if not, where can I find out about when the next contest is being held/judged?

    Very sorry for the lengthy post, and thank you so much in advance to any who take the time to reply. :)
  • CinarraCinarra Member Posts: 12
    Hello! Welcome to Aetolia!

    I'm afraid it is a bit late for me to reply in great detail, but I can definitely answer #4. You will want to AP LIST, which will show a long list of all purchasable artifacts. You can take your time to browse through all that, but AP LIST ATLAS should get you the specific arti you want. Do AP INFO to learn more about a specific artifact.

    Actually, I think doing just ARTIFACT gives you a list of artifact commands, and maybe entering just AP gives you a list of artifact purchase commands. The same principle seems to apply to many other commands. Very helpful, since Aetolia has a LOT of commands, and syntax can be a pain.
    Istira
  • ValingarValingar Member Posts: 312 ✭✭✭
    1. A Spinachian potato can answer you better, but your city is aligned with Bloodloch (and together make up the shadow side of the game) and aligned against Enorian and Duiran (the spirit side). Like Duiran, Spinesreach has a bit more neutral elements than Enorian/Bloodloch, which are the more extreme and fanatic parts of their respective sides. However, you're still a shadow aligned city.

    2. Haven't fished in ages, but iirc, it's not terribly complex in reality. Do something like 'qeb fishing cast' to start off the fishing process, then once a fish bites do "qeb fishing reel" repeatedly until you get it or it escapes, then cast again. FISHING shows all the commands. QEB, if you're wondering, is just a command that queues the command to happen when you next have both equilibrium and balance (it's short for "queue equilibrium balance").

    3. Pass, too craftery for me.

    4. Some potato covered this above.

    5. Not sure what class you are (but class skills are always important, except mages can skip enchantment), but from the generic skills for PvP purposes, you'll initially want:
    *Survival at least up to Focus (and later, when you have lessons, up to trans for Clearmind, which reduces the time it takes for you to focus).
    *Weaponry up to Parry.
    *Avoidance up to Dodging (and later up to trans, because this improves your dodging and lets you divert if you fail a dodge)

    Once you have trans class skills and trans survival, you can start making your own calls on what feels a priority PvPwise. Dying to physical classes a lot? Get trans avoidance asap. A certain elemental damage oppressing you? Invest lessons in the miniskill countering them (for example, get Galvanism versus if you're having trouble against Shaman, for electric resistance). Running out of tattoo slots? Put a few lessons into tattoos, this'll get you extra slots.

    NOTE: You absolutely need to always have the Eye of Lanos enchantment (which you can buy from enchanters or shops for gold) unless you have trans Vision. This'll get you temporary access to the Trans vision skill, Discernment, which is vital for PK.

    Arties are very class specific. Eq classes tend to need equilibrium crown for optimal play, but otherwise, there's no absolute 'must have' artifact. Skills are more important. Use Ylem amulets to temporarily boost your stats to lessen the pressure to get stat arties (15000 gold a piece, white amulet is +1 to all stats nonstacking with arties, you want that at least, lasts 12 RL days).

    6. Conflict is mostly centered around leylines, which provide ylem, which you need to keep your city running, do research and some other perks. Minor leylines spawn about every 10 minutes, but those aren't generally fought over because of their short duration. Lesser leylines spawn every 3 hours, take about 15 minutes to extract, and are very often contested and a primary form of PK. Major leylines spawn every every now and then (cooldown 24h, then 10% chance per 3h) and usually see quite a bit of PK. There's also a new/returning landmarking mechanic that runs now and then for PK.

    For less group centered PK, there's the Hunting Grounds, where you can go contest for control of special temporary artifacts whenever you want, but others can kill you there or for having the artifacts, and Sect of Blades, which is a place for duelling maniacs, with some perks like special skills and items that you get from having enough points.
    Obviously some RP related PK does occur, too.

    7. Sorry, no idea. I never paid attention to artisnals/bardics.
    KelliaraIstira
  • KelliaraKelliara Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5
    @Istira:

    In answer to question 1), I have the following to say:

    While it sort of gets my goat a bit to have @Valingar describe Spinesreach as neutralish, (though I understand perfectly where this assessment comes from) Spinesreach's overarching goal is, quite simply, Spinesreach. While the other cities tend towards lofty ideals such as the proliferation/extermination of undeath and/or vampirism, or protecting the Wilds, Spinesreach is much more self interested.

    The idea that Spinesreach has more neutral elements largely comes from Spinesreach's willingness to 'work' tentatively with people, groups, or entire organisations on one side of the Shadow/Spirit divide or the other as goals, needs or wants dictate.

    At its best, Spinesreach is a city that values intellect, cunning, and internal loyalty, and at its worst is cold, calculating, and ruthless. (Though a Spirean may well consider these things as strengths)

    All that aside, Spinesreach tends to get on well with Bloodloch for the most part, perhaps because there is a sharing of mutual enemies (Duiran and Enorian), but they're not exactly joined at the hip, and have been known to having fallings out over differences in ideaologies.

    This is of course not to say that they're aren't 'nice' characters in Spinesreach. Quite a few are perfectly lovely, pleasant sorts, when dealing with their Spirean Comrades.

    Other things to note, Spinesreach has a fairly heavy drinking culture. Spireans also tend to be fond of brawling, and occasionally have to-dos in one of the local tavern where citizens get drunk and beat each other up.

    There's probably other things of note that are worth mentioning, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

    Your best bet is to dive in and get to know people, and see how Spinesreach does business.

    And finally, welcome!
    Now with 253% more Madness.
    Chibi-Kelli by @Eleanor.
    IstiraZaila
Sign In or Register to comment.