Artifact ideas

Comments

• IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Rashar said:

Wtb two week long February Custom Marriage Certificate Sale.

p pack
    "ticket123" a pink heart-shaped ticket
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • Ishin said:

Rashar said:

Wtb two week long February Custom Marriage Certificate Sale.

p pack
    "ticket123" a pink heart-shaped ticket
    Nah, inc Heart of Darkness event so everyone freaks out and hides in their haven to avoid being shot with non-damaging bows!

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

TragerArekaErzsebet
  • It's not that we're afraid of the bows, it's that, quite frankly, it's immersion breaking and disruptive as hell to have people breaking into the middle of your roleplay to shoot you with an arrow and steal something of yours that you're more or less expected to ignore.

Though, I usually just don't log on for the duration.
    imageimage
    ArekaIshin
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    I was going to say - the public space isn't the issue, the issue I had was people breaking into houses and disrupting RP for the sake of it, then getting super bent out of shape when there were repercussions/expecting the people forced to endure that to just laugh it off because it's mostly OOC.
    Erzsebet
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Erzsebet said:

It's not that we're afraid of the bows, it's that, quite frankly, it's immersion breaking and disruptive as hell to have people breaking into the middle of your roleplay to shoot you with an arrow and steal something of yours that you're more or less expected to ignore.

Though, I usually just don't log on for the duration.

Reminds me of your behavior during the essence-collection bit.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    edited February 2015
    Hem. That. I refused to give my blood, and therefore refused to come out of my haven so you guys could just take it anyway. I didn't log off for it.

And that's a viable IC response to that thread of RP--'oh, people are trying to steal my blood and I don't want them to? Guess I'll hang out where they can't get to me.'
    imageimage
  • The snakeskin relic artifact: Would be awesome if, when you use the command if you interrupt it for some reason/somehow, it 1) gave a message and 2) didn't consider you as having shed if you didn't get the item for it.
    imageimage
  • edited February 2015
    Something has been bothering me ever since druids have been disbanded. Metamorphosis is the iconic art of bonding with the spirits of animals which has just 'suddenly' disappeared. Shamans don't even seem to have a lore or design in place that explains the sudden loss of this art or let-alone where the spirits have gone ever since the 'madness' sunk into the lands. I was wondering if the art of metamorphosis could be added into the primordial stew of the shaman's guild as a sanctuary for the spirits of the animals. As part of the continued advancement of the madness in the lands, so too will it begin effecting the spirits in the sanctuary. This is to be discovered through an event and shamans discover a 'dark one' whom has been purifying the madness from the spirits of the animals by keeping it at bay within his/her own essence and use of splintered shards of lost souls of the ancient druids an well....needs to be dealt with. ((totally insane from more then the normal years of madness pent-up inside))

My artifact idea is the first 'splintering essence' of spirit shards from some of the last druids in the basin. Spread across all off the lands, players will find monsters driven into madness and when defeated, their corpse will reveal a spirit stone and a message. Each fragment is split up into pieces and when assembled, you get a full message of one of the last druids asking you to take care of one of the spirits. The assembled spirit stone contains a fully enraged spirit of one the world's Animal spirits. PC's must purify the stones by absorbing the madness into themselves, and fight the madness made manifest in their spirit's crazed form. Upon being defeated, the stone changes an reveals itself and changes into the spirited form of the creature, periodically granting you a gift of calling upon it every so often.

Spirits revealed every year will be random and sporadic. Shamans inherit the burden of the sanctuary to repel the madness from harming the spirits further. Spirit stones can only be traded with others while the spirit is trapped in its own madness inside the stone. Spirits grant powers to individuals that reflect within the eyes of mortals and undead, having no qualms to allegiance as those who set them free they grant them their blessing. Spirits you bond with always begin at its weakest state and grow multiple levels unlocking new powers longer they inhabit you're soul At first, this is a taxing process to end/will that progressively gets easier with every bond level. For Example:

Squirrel bond begins with gifting foraging---lvl 2 grants digging---lvl 3 grants squirrel flaps ((like grecht flaps))

Deer bond begins with scent---lvl 2 gives stag hide ((+5 resistance cold))---Lvl 3 gives prancing ((enemy enters room, you prance out of room))

This idea gives something that was lost to the world a little bit of new life that could make a neat yearly promo! I had to read alot of sham a nom a ding dong books and found a real sudden GAP ever since the re-design. I would love to see metamorphs brought back in some way. Thanks everyone!
  • There was a pretty major lore based event regarding why Druids (and Sentinels quite a while before them) lost the ability to bind spirit animals to themselves. My suggestion would be to try and get a hold of some of the people that were involved in the Druids guild when the transition was made for some information regarding that.
    Riluo
  • Obyn said:

There was a pretty major lore based event regarding why Druids (and Sentinels quite a while before them) lost the ability to bind spirit animals to themselves. My suggestion would be to try and get a hold of some of the people that were involved in the Druids guild when the transition was made for some information regarding that.

Its not been easy to gather such informaton, the three perps I used to know basically left. Feels wrong to ask them outside of aetolia, but I am sure I could ask some others whom might be left! Just have to dissect their brains....er.. ask them properly about where get/about said story and lore. Though I still would love to see metamorphs brought back as a minor fun thing that invigorates the bonds ties to the world and gives shamans a bit more depth of story. Even if its just in a animal sanctuary, I really feel like fits their theme with the totem animals being their strength tied to shamans currently.

Thanks Obyn!

• No problem! I would advise you to go straight to the source - talk to some of the people in Shaman leadership, for example.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    There's some events posts that at least give the basics too.
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    With the increased wp/endurance costs to skills, and with the introduction of more skills that drain them (such as detection) maybe we could see level 2 wp/end regen artis?
    Ishin
  • Was thinking, a portable tent that when dropped, makes the room an indoors room and only the owner can pick it back up?
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

Erzsebet
  • Zsadist said:

Was thinking, a portable tent that when dropped, makes the room an indoors room and only the owner can pick it back up?

There is something like that, I think, with a limited usage (like, once per day or something). A rare artifact, maybe a gold auction or something. I can't think of what it is called and could be wrong, but think it exists out there somewhere. I know this is probably one of the most vague replies anyone has ever given. Ever. I probably should just let someone more knowledgeable comment!
  • I would pay a decent amount for an artifact that let me choose which type of curing I utilized regardless of vamp/living. Or even just an option to go have Qeddwyn cast a magical spell on you and make your vampire body receptive to concoctions.

Idk. I cured my little vampire because wtf, poke poultice with syringe? Stick bandage face, stir vial with needle? Eat testicles for rebounding? Takes me 40 minutes to resupply myself. :(

Ok back to my corner.
    Trager
  • I think this would be an interesting little thing to be able to do:

Allow the transfer of previously owned artifacts to someone else. For example, if people have the Snowswell snowglobe but no longer use them or find it too tedious, but someone else wants to use it consistently, Player A can "sell" the snowglobe to Player B and have it transferred to Player B permanently, at a tedious cost or something.

Obviously this would need admin approval so it doesn't get transferred from one character to an alt via a middle man. Still would be pretty cool though.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

Erzsebet
    Maybe allow it to only be sold once?

Think this would be really cool. Would totally sell my snowswell to someone who would actually use it. With wights not being instanced, and being as obnoxious as they are, I rarely ever bother.
    imageimage
    Zsadist
  • Something that was in the last promotion, but was never answered due to it being closed:
    Zsadist said:

Sarosh, is there any way that the vault can get 'tiered' so to speak, that by spending gold for each tier, you can gain interest off the vault as well? Up to a maxiumum of course.

Sarosh said:

Zsadist - That would be a question for the big guys, I don't put my grubby reptilian hands on artifacts.

@Oleis or @Razmael - feel free to chime in :smiley:

• OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Whoops, sorry to let it slip by. Not something we're going to implement, but thanks for the suggestion!
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    Zsadist
  • Is a challenge something you're after? Do you enjoy the sense of completion once you've finally wrangled all of those soulless pixies for @Moirean 's kingdom and get that handsome reward? Do you like the thrill of the hunt after finding a clue hidden deep within the complexities of @Slyphe 's eyebrows? Well then, perhaps the is the fix for you.

The concept: For a nominal credit fee (I think 500cr is a good price) you start out with an artifact that does nothing. I take that back. You get an artifact that adds a line to your ARTIFACTS SHOW line. Yay. The power of the artifact, however, lies in that it is an adventure filled with quests, danger, and potentially random acts to unlock various powers. To prevent it from becoming a ridiculously powerful artifact, perhaps only 3 effects can be active at any given time.

Once you've purchased it, there might be a few unlocks that are known. For example... Kill 100,000 gnats. Progress should be trackable so I can count how many gnats I've killed. Once I've completed this crazy undertaking, I gain a power I can activate on my artifact. Perhaps I now can use the SWAT skill without needing to have access to it. Please note that this is an EXAMPLE and I'm not advocating everyone gets to use SWAT if they kill a stupid amount of gnats. Is there even a SWAT command? Or perhaps if you land 10 Anihilating Critical Hits in a row you can unlock a +1% to critical strike chance. Ideally there would be meaningful rewards to cater to one audience, and perhaps other more flavorful results for people who don't care about +1% to crits. Maybe if you eat enough rocks your eyes glow blue and have an occasional ambiance message.

Some of the rewards can be static and always obtainable, and perhaps other can be coded in an rotated out or are a one-time thing. Maybe if you're logged on during Aetolia's 20th birthday you unlock a special ability where when you detonate fireworks they also explode with confetti that colors the room all crazy colors for awhile. Whatever. Actually, I like that one.

Side idea: confetti poppers. 5k gold. Lets you POP them and changes the color of the room description text to a variety of neat confetti-like colors for 5 minutes. One time use. OK, back to what I was thinking.

Then there are the hidden unlocks. Maybe if you get slapped by five different people on top of the Great Rock you unlock a flat +100 HP bonus. But you wouldn't know it existed until someone slapped you on the Great Rock, then under your progress bar you'd get "???????????????????????? 1/5" And when you realized it you'd be going "Dang, what happened" and you'd race through and try and reconstruct everything you did from your logs since you last checked your progress to figure it out. There are also a few ways this could go down to try and limit people from just sharing the information openly. One being they're just there and if people really want to ruin the thrill for others, so be it. Or, offer an incentive of diminishing value on the unlocked benefit based on how many people unlock it. Or, have it be a limited unlock, i.e. the first 5 people to get slapped atop the Great Rock can unlock it, then you can unlock it for posterity perhaps but you don't get anything for it.

Clearly, I don't want to be studying. But, I had been thinking about ways to liven up the game. There's an aspect of competition, if you're fighting over these unlocks, and I'm sure there is a way to bring meaningful conflict into it. It's also something that can constantly be updated and refreshed, so it doesn't have to get old and stale. Meanwhile, there's a lot of room for creativity to put in new short little quests and small events that can actually have some meaning without having to be all "Boom, Moghedu just got destroyed. Yep, that happened." I feel like perhaps I'm just rambling at this point, but I did want to get this idea out there. It just seems like the only thing to do when I log in is to chat OOCly with other people and/or bash mindlessly and/or try and run a circuit of quests to make some gold. Whoopdeedoo. It's become repetitious and monotonous, and even the Major Foci haven't piqued my interest because I'd have to basically pick the right time to be online for it to go down.

Another side idea: Having a few times throughout the month with pre-announced times that Major Foci are going to spawn. Otherwise I suspect I might get lucky sometime in the next twelve months and be online for a half of one or maybe a whole one. I know a lot of work went into coding the system it but at least my perception of it is that it's a very limited participation thing.

Anyways, to summarize: An interactive artifact with variable benefits based on unlocking those benefits through a variety of means, from the downright grind-y to the obscure and silly and everything in between.

Any feedback from players as to whether you think this might be a neat idea or if it just plain sucks and is dumb would be appreciated. TTFN!
    SakylMoireanXeniaTeaniTrager
  • Love it.

Only issues I foresee are to do with implementation and manpower. Someone needs to constantly creak their brains to churn out and implement the little activities. I'm guessing celani could be primed to do it since the activities seem quite questy in nature. 

Shouldn't be an artifact, though. Fun should be held for all! 
    A cache extension for flower caches?
    imageimage
    Alissandra
  • Lim said:

Love it.

Only issues I foresee are to do with implementation and manpower. Someone needs to constantly creak their brains to churn out and implement the little activities. I'm guessing celani could be primed to do it since the activities seem quite questy in nature. 

Shouldn't be an artifact, though. Fun should be held for all! 

I agree that the implementation and manpower are likely the biggest hurdles. And yes, fun for everyone is the ideal but I also know that making monies is Raz & Co's primary goal. Hence suggesting it as an artifact. So, to allow everyone to be able to participate while still enabling money to be made, how about this:

Base totem/fetish/icon/statue/rock/whatever is some amount of gold, perhaps some quest to unlock. Level 1 allows you to unlock everything, but limits you to 1 active power at a time with limited switching, i.e. you can switch it once every 6 IRL hours or something.

For a nominal credit fee (250 credits?) you can upgrade to level 2. 2 powers can be active at a given time, and you can change one of them every 4 IRL hours.

Level 3 (500 cr?) enables 3 powers to be unlocked with one power allowed to be changed hourly.

Level 4 (1000 cr?) enables 3 powers with unlimited instant changing of powers.

Viola. Numbers are rough for illustrative purposes only. Fun + money = funmoney.

I guess one thing I hadn't thought about would be how updating each artifact would be. Given that there would need to be a mass update and I don't know if the game supports a "I have changed this item, now all items in the game of this type are matched to reflect this!" or not, could also be an issue. Because I have vague recollections of things getting screwy and there being posts like, "If you xyz is still doing abc, ISSUE yourself and Soandso will fix it for you." But maybe I'm crazy.

Crazy like a fox...
  • I bet you'd sell a lot more of the Hunting Grounds artifacts if they disregarded the city-based cooldown, and let you move right in if someone from your city got killed. You could still have a timer for personal use, of course.

Also if it let people who didn't belong in cities enter.

More fighting between people that like fighting isn't a bad thing!
    Crafting artifacts:

A talent_boon artifact? Works like all the other boons, but for talents?

Some sort of equivalent for forging? Like, when you go to apply a custom design to it, it doubles the number you get?

Some sort of (fairly expensive, probably) shop add-on for more space? Like. Gives you an IN room (with a locked stockroom door down etc) so you can more stock things and 1) not have the main shop be stupid cluttered, and 2) have more space (equal to the base amount of a normal shop in the city, not including artifact shelves which could maybe be bought for the additional room, too?). Could only be placed in an existing shop, owned by the person to whom the artifact is loyal to.

Dunno. Something. >.> I would happily 'downgrade' to something like this and condense my shops into one space per city. Oooor just make shelves stackable. >.>
    imageimage
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul

Is a challenge something you're after? Do you enjoy the sense of completion once you've finally wrangled all of those soulless pixies for @Moirean 's kingdom and get that handsome reward? Do you like the thrill of the hunt after finding a clue hidden deep within the complexities of @Slyphe 's eyebrows? Well then, perhaps the is the fix for you.

The concept: For a nominal credit fee (I think 500cr is a good price) you start out with an artifact that does nothing. I take that back. You get an artifact that adds a line to your ARTIFACTS SHOW line. Yay. The power of the artifact, however, lies in that it is an adventure filled with quests, danger, and potentially random acts to unlock various powers. To prevent it from becoming a ridiculously powerful artifact, perhaps only 3 effects can be active at any given time.

Personally, I think this is something that should be implemented without necessarily being an artifact. It'd be fun if you could just have a relic of some sort that did these things. Gotta catch'em all.
    Ishin[Deleted User]
    Want to buy an artifact that hides: Statpack and heritage lines.

Also one that lets you sell indivual dye uses in a shop.

Also one that lets you colour your dye stuff that's on a crafting shelf--like, if I have 'a pair of gray socks' 'a pair of gray boots' and 'a pendant of gray quartz', that are all dyeable, want to be able to have it default to the colour I want on the shelf, with the intent that people can still dye it a different colour, but if I want an outfit to be together, I can colour the entire thing the same colour to indicate that. Or maybe I think purple quartz looks the coolest, etc. I know a lot of people search wares by colour, and don't bother looking through the dyed stuff.

imageimage
    ReuxVeovis
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Side note for dyeing: It would be nice if there were, first, a way to easily tell where the dyetags are from the consumer's perspective. Like DYEPROBE (item/design) to pop up the tags in all caps in the examined, or if it's undyed, to have them be in caps automatically.

Also, to be a broken record, the dyekit artifact really needs a price reduction. It is a convenience item for the CASUAL CONSUMER/USER, in line with the pigeon and letter satchel, NOT an artifact for the CRAFTER (like carving knife or spatula). It is way too expensive for the consumer side of things.
    KerrynErzsebetIshin
  • DraimanDraiman Dr. Drai
    Pigeon upgrade - lets you send mail from your Haven.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

ArekaErzsebetIshinXeniaMalok