Who wants an East Coast meet?

LinLin BlackbirdThe Moonglade
edited May 2013 in OOC Chat
Proposed location: Providence, Rhode Island
Proposed meet time: Early-mid-August (esp. 12th, during VJ Day)
Your hosts: @Orisae and @Lin
Age recommendation: 21 or older (there will be alcohol; you do not have to drink)

Orisae and I would like to break in our new apartment by throwing an Aetolian meet in the New England area! This post is to gauge interest for anyone who lives in or can travel to the east coast. Our major event would be the witnessing of VJ Day, RI's wonderfully offensive holiday in which we celebrate victory over Japan in World War II. We would also be visiting the nigh-famous Providence Place Mall, hanging out on the beach, and generally carousing and causing a lot of trouble.

Food will be provided, though naturally, we can't pay for every meal, so depending on attendance, bringing one's own spending money is highly recommended. Visitors are welcome to stay in the apartment (there will be room), and for those who wish to make their base of operations elsewhere, Providence's downtown is host to tons of affordable hotels.

There's going to be a lot to see, lots of people to hang out with, and ludicrously niche and/or trendy stores to buy souvenirs from! We might even sneak up on and surprise the hell out of Brynn and Haedyn, you never know! Also @Kiyotan is confirmed to be coming, and I can tell you firsthand that every meet needs him.

Anyway, please let either myself or Orisae know if you'd be interested in this sort of thing!
MoireanKiyotanHaernOrisaeHadoryuPerilunaLianca

Comments

• Like I said, depending on when/how much it costs, I might make an attempt to go. I will be 21 at the time of the meet as well, despite not drinking anyhow.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    Will there be black flies? I met them in New England last summer, and I never, ever, ever want to see them again.
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    I have no clue. Aren't most flies black?
  • KiyotanKiyotan spectacular vernacular Summit of the Falconmount
    Mine is a brassy color.
    Some may say we've lost our way, but I believe we've not gone far enough.
    Black flies are like a spider/wasp hybrid that will swarm you, bite you, make you bleed, and then leave huge, swollen welts that turn purple and itch for weeks. I think you'd know if you've ever met them. Did I mention that you will itch and itch and itch?
  • I think they call then "Lin" in the northeast.

In all seriousness, we get population bursts from April to July. You'll be safe.
    Everyone look at the funny Haern! Punk.

But yeah, they sure weren't there when I visited RI early this year, and we live right near the city so I think we'll be in good shape!
    I'm going to go with a "depends on if the husband is willing to drive there" for now.
    Orisae
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    I'm poor. But I live in VA and know how to hop a train, so maybe.
    LinOrisae
  • I wish I could go.
    Teani
  • SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    I might be able to go. Depends on if work will let me actually get off, and if my husband will come or let me spend the money on going.

Orisae
  • edited May 2013
    Some add ins from the other host:

1. It's worth noting that the beach we might hit to is right near Brynn and Haedyn's house!  Their schedules willing, probably have something like a barbeque, maybe. Bring flip flips. The beach is rocky.

2. Also, on Saturday, we'll be going to Waterfire. Providence loves to set things on fire and blast loud tribal/jazz/awsm music to attract people to swarm our streets. The Waterfire schedule was just released and there WILL be a full lighting on that weekend. www.waterfire.org <-- check it out!

3. One thing ALSO of note is that we will be having relatively peaceful and quiet neighbors so please try to bring your most respectful drank self to the meet.

4. Arrival time should be no earlier than August 8th in the afternoon/evening and then we're looking at VJ day being the 12th of August. LIN GOT IT WRONG. Feel free to stay until tuesday if it's cheaper to leave closer to midweek. Not being super strict on the departure time.

• BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    So....tempted...to try and come!
    Orisae
  • Giiiive iiiiinnnnnn! Yooou knoooow yoou waaaant tooooo!!

One of us! One of us! One of us! One of us!
  • EmelleEmelle Dreamshaper Tecpatl's Cradle
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    It'd almost be an exact year since the last meet in NY when I got held by Homeland Security for an hour! Yay 'merica!
    OrisaeValenaeAryanne
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    Wow this is tempting! I'm already going on vacation in September though :(.
    Benedicto said:
    It'd almost be an exact year since the last meet in NY when I got held by Homeland Security for an hour! Yay 'merica!
    Something about leaving Rhode Island, man. When I went back to Colorado the TSA decided I was their Molestation Victim of the Day and I nearly missed my flight. :\
  • Toz said:
    Like I said, depending on when/how much it costs, I might make an attempt to go. I will be 21 at the time of the meet as well, despite not drinking anyhow.
    You can totally hitch a ride with me if I go!

I'm not saying definitely, but I -did- promise Orisae I would try a few months ago. So. This is a definitely maybe. Depends on my cashflow around this time, but I will have about 40hrs of vacation and floating holiday time.... so.... 
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    It has nothing to do with Homeland Security and everything to do with maintaining the appropriate sexy : engine flight ratio.
  • inb4 Aldric can't go because of age limit.
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
  • KiyotanKiyotan spectacular vernacular Summit of the Falconmount
    edited May 2013
    Arbre said:
    It has nothing to do with Homeland Security and everything to do with maintaining the appropriate sexy : engine flight ratio.
    In that case, I'd be better off walking.
    Some may say we've lost our way, but I believe we've not gone far enough.
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Isn't this around the same time as the IRE Vegas thing?
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    You gonna take me with you, Kiyoluv?
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    Anyone headed through SW VA who I could carpool with?
  • Wooooooooooo East Coast!
    Valenae
  • I'd love to go but I doubt I'll have the monies to go up the coast then. :( I have a wedding to attend in September in Montana which is proving to be an expensive trip.
  • Stabs wants to go but if everything works out I'll be helping out with a NYC debate camp during that time. I can try to get a couple days off to swing by and at least have dinner with some folks. I can check back when the time gets a little closer and we know who all is going. 

Side note: If anyone is passing through VT for the meet and needs a place to shower, crash or whatever - Stabs and I are glad to help out. Hit us up on forums and we'll see what we can do. Like I said, I won't be around but Stabs will. Bed is off limits lol but the couch and air mattress are all your's while you're here. 

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

edited May 2013
    Aldric said:
    inb4 Aldric can't go because of age limit.
    @Aldric: I modified the age "requirement" to a "recommendation." I'm not your parent! I want anyone who wants to attend to attend - I'm just not going to condone underage activities on this thread.
    Orisae
  • IosyneIosyne the Lair
    Haven said:
    Isn't this around the same time as the IRE Vegas thing?

No. This conflicts with my class reunion or I'd try to go!