Griash is Griash and Griash is the Keeper

ArbreArbre Arbrelina JolieBraavos
Wisps of ghostly light pool forth suddenly from the mural, wavering in the air as quickly as they appeared before vanishing once more into the ether.

With soft footfalls, a ghostly wolf near the size of a horse appears in the forest glade from the ether. Lidless, empty eyes stare without emotion upon you before the creature casts back its head to howl, yet no sound comes forth from the great beast. As it lowers its head, it vanishes away into the ether once more with a flare of verdant green light.

Between two vast, primordial giants. (Valley of the Ancients.) (25163)
Jagged and prickly, a stone cougar totem shines fitfully here. His gnarled hands folded before his rotund belly, Gortuk waits here, observing the surroundings passively.
You see exits leading north, northeast, southeast, and south.

Gortuk says, "Mmm. You are an interesting beast."

You have emoted: Arbre looks up sharply at the speech, looking at Gortuk for what might be the first time.

Unrelated, you say, in a feral tongue, "I like this statue."

Gortuk says, "Tch. That is not an oft-heard tongue. I am the eyes and voice of the Keeper. It is his."

You have emoted: Arbre cocks her head at Gortuk curiously, lowering herself down to her haunches, ears perked.

You say, in a feral tongue, "We have a large pack in Duiran, surprisingly. Most of the so-called wolves are in Spinesreach. Who is the Keeper?"

Gortuk says, "Griash is Griash and Griash is the Keeper."

Gortuk brings a pipe to his lips, giving you a wary glance before puffing upon it with yellowed teeth. "You are a wolf-beast, then. Interesting."

You say, in a feral tongue, "We are called the Atabahi. Though there are others, Duiran recognizes me as Her shewolf."

Gortuk says, "Ah, I have heard that name. Bahkatu, the other. Ha! Odd words for wolf and bear-beasts."

You say, in a feral tongue, "Probably something in the Ankyrean language. It is unknown to me that one who is not a wolf would understand my speech though."

Gortuk glances upwards as a massive, spectral cougar emerges from the massive totem, its eyes alighting upon you.

You have emoted: Arbre makes a low noise in her throat and startles, coming to all fours. She turns to face the cougar, but doesn't back away from it. Her eyes are wide, and the lava-like tattoos through her fur are bright and swiftly flowing.

Griash, the Keeper leans forward, its fathomless eyes unblinking. STRANGE WOLF-CREATURE. THERE IS NO NEED FOR FEAR. A rich, warm voice echoes deep within your head as Griash speaks, his tail twitching. WHY DO YOU COME TO THIS LAND OF OURS?

Swallowing hard before answering, you say, in a feral tongue, "You, ah, look like me."

Griash, the Keeper settles down upon his haunches, lapping at his left paw as if in sudden disinterest. AND THAT IS NOT ALL.

You have emoted: Arbre's tension slowly fades at Griash's calm, though her tattoos remain flowing excitedly.

You say, in a feral tongue, "I know. I did not choose my form. There has to be reason."

Griash, the Keeper raises its head, fixating you with once more with its gaze. AND WHAT THEN?

You have emoted: Arbre shakes her head slowly at Griash, for the first time looking a bit helpless.

You say, in a feral tongue, "I have been staring at the- ah, your statue, thinking maybe I would find something there. Some.. inspiration."

Griash, the Keeper gives a shake of his great head, yawning. AND WHAT DID YOU FIND IN ITS STONE?

Giving a solid blink, you say, in a feral tongue, "You. Evidently."

IT IS HARDLY THE FIRST TIME YOU HAVE WALKED IN MY SHADOW. SOMETHING DRIVES YOU--DO NOT LIE, FOR I SMELL IT ON YOU.

Centering your wild mind, civility floods your thoughts. Gasping in pain, your form contorts and shrinks, and fur clumps away to nothingness as you forcibly become Azudim once more.

You have emoted: Arbre slowly and gracefully unmutates, not bothering to clothe herself. "If you are looking for some great revelation, some bit of knowledge, I have gained none," she says, her voice confident as her cougar-like tail sways slowly behind her, "I know what I need - purpose. I have not found it. I serve my Council and am in love with my Goddess, but I need more and have not found it."

AND NOW YOU CHASE PHANTOMS?

You have emoted: "Better than chasing nothing," Arbre snaps, anger coming into her tone, "I thought a Shaman would know more about you, but he only succeeded in confusing me more."

I AM NO WOLF, LITTLE BEAST. BUT YOU CAME CHASING HIM.

You have emoted: "I am wolf," Arbre says, clenching her fists and then unclenching them, "and sometimes I look like you. I ran, looking for him, and when I could not find him, I stopped where I always do."

Griash, the Keeper raises its head once more, giving another yawn. KALAVAR IS ALONE AND WITHOUT A PACK. HE IS WITHOUT A VOICE AND WITHOUT EYES TO SEE. HE PASSES BETWIXT WORLDS AND KNOWS ONLY HIS OWN HOLLOW VOICE. WHAT WOULD YOU DO TO AIDE SUCH A SPIRIT?

You have emoted: "Kalavar," Arbre repeats, her anger fading as she looks down and furrows her brows, her mind turning. "he would be welcome in my pack, but that is probably not enough for him." She is quiet for another moment before looking back to Griash. "I would be his voice," she says.

Gortuk straightens, his eyes narrowing. "You would no longer be yourself. Your soul would belong to him and him alone. If you were found to falter, he would consume you and be without voice once again. That is the oath I took many ages ago and it is why I am bound for all eternity to the Keeper. You do not wish for this, wolf-beast. You never wish for it."

Turning her head sharply to Gortuk, you say, "Do you regret your oath?"

Gortuk says, "It was never my choice."

Gortuk raises his head, looking intently upon Griash.

You have emoted: Arbre turns her eyes to Griash expectantly.

Gortuk says, "I was offered as a sacrifice to appease the spirits. Griash took me and the bond was made."

Griash, the Keeper slowly stands, stretching outwards with another yawn and lash of his great tail. SUCH IS THE TRUTH OF THE MATTER.

You have emoted: "I know nothing of spirits and Ancients and the Praadi-an Kiar," Arbre says, "all I know is that you tell me there is a wolf in pain and I should aid him. I offer the only things I know of myself to be of use to him: I would be his voice, if he needed, I have little left to lose. Should I be his companion? Should I be his mate? If you want me to help him, then I need to know what I should do."

IT IS TIME YOU UNDERSTOOD OUR WAYS.

You have emoted: Arbre releases a soft huff of breath through her nose, her head held a bit higher. "Yes," she says with a curt nod.

Gortuk says, "The Praadi an-Kiar within the Heartwood would have need of a wolf-beast, mm."

You have emoted: "Praadi an-Kiar," Arbre repeats to Gortuk, furrowing her brow, "the ones of the Heartwood would be the Shamans, I think. They do know the most of anyone about.." She pauses, waving her hand errantly about the area.

Gortuk says, "Aye, they do."

You have emoted: "I go to the Shamans and I learn, that is the easy part," Arbre says, "and, when I run out of resources, if I have not found out how to save him, you will return to guide me." It's not a question, it's a statement of fact that she merely looks for confirmation of.

Gortuk says, "If you are found worthy, then you will have a place amongst us and our knowledge."

You have emoted: Arbre lifts her chin, a slight frown on her face. "I know what it is to be a lost wolf. I will not abandon Kalavar," she says firmly, "do not abandon me, Griash is Griash and Griash is the Keeper."

Gortuk says, "Tch. Wolf-beast, you will learn much."

You have emoted: Arbre gives a short laugh, bending over as she mutates again, ending back on all fours.

You say, "I will seek out the Shamans."

Gortuk says, "Go, then. See what you may learn."

You grunt noncomittally.

In the midst of a great stone circle. (Duiran.) (25290) [-Omei-]
A small cairn rises up from among the standing stones, shining with a fey inner light. A glowing iridescence sparkles within the air. A conjured holdfast sigil lies here. A sigil in the shape of a small, rectangular monolith is on the ground. Ivaryen stands rooted amongst the ancient stones, its bark alight with the gleam of the primordial. An Eleusian ranger stands guard, her hand resting on the hilt of her sword. Armed with a javelin, an Eleusian peltast keeps watch for invaders.
 A minor shrine to Omei is here.
You see exits leading north, east, south, and west.

You tell Gilrath Lynceus, "Come talk to me if you can. It is important."

Gilrath swiftly gallops in from the in.

Gilrath inclines his head politely to you.

You say, "I spoke to Griash."

Gilrath Lynceus says, "What did he have to say?"

You say, "A lot. The most immediate thing is that I am to join the Shamans. I will save Kalavar."

Gilrath nods his head emphatically.

Gilrath Lynceus says, "Had Kalavar been corrupted?"

You have emoted: Arbre shakes her head slowly. "I do not believe so," she says, "he has no voice. He has no eyes. He is a lone wolf. I have been a lone wolf before. I will save him."

Gilrath Lynceus says, "Omega's are not uncommon. I mean no offense, but from what does he need saving? What do you mean by no voice, and no eyes?"

You have emoted: "Omegas are the passive ones at the bottom of the pack," Arbre says, her voice growing more fervent as she begins gesturing with her hands, "-wolves- -need- -a- -pack-. It is like having no soul to be without one." She closes her eyes and breathes heavily, calming herself. "I apologize, you are not wolf, it is difficult for you to understand this, I know," she says, "he travels between planes, he howls without voice, he looks and does not see. I will save him. I spoke with Gortuk. I spoke with Griash is Griash and Griash is the Keeper. My first step is to become shaman."

Gilrath inclines his head politely to you.

You accept membership in the Shamans and Gilrath welcomes you into the guild.

Gilrath Lynceus says, "Please, let us know if there is anything we can do to help."

You say, "Thank you and..."

You say, "Thank you for believing me. I know I am making no sense."

Arbre will now be known as Wolf-beast Arbre Aquila.

Gilrath Lynceus says, "Whether I believe you is of no consequence. You believe, and if your goal is to aid one of the uncorrupted Ancients, then I stand behind you."

You say, "Thank you for seeing me. I need to.. sit. Think."

Gilrath nods his head emphatically.

Gilrath Lynceus says, "Walk well, Arbre. If you call, I will come."

You nod curtly.

MastemaStathanBakhtuhEdhainSeirAngwePiperLinLiancaAisei

Comments

• EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    I don't know much about the forestal end of things, but this was a cool read nonetheless! Very vivid, despite me not having a clue really what's going on. Props to the all-caps mobpos, that's classy.

• PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    That was awesome!