Undead Monk Guild

Comments

• DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.

Daskalos won't fight at a lesser with Atrapoema. Period. Hell, I've debated trying to kill him when he steps at a leyline.

'Whoops, sorry, saw a Teradrim, those stone faced bastards all look alike to me!'

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

MastemaEsper
  • Lin said:
    Can I ask why undead monks supposedly don't work? Are we literally interpreting Kaido as a spiritual force, or is it chi as the flavor seems to suggest?
    Kaido was literally defined as being Spirit in the past. I gather that's going to be retconned now that monk is neutral. But the theme of the skills was literally defined as perfection of: Mind = Telepathy, Body = Tekura, Spirit = Kaido.

I guess at this point you could just say they didn't mean Spirit, but spirit instead.
  • edited April 2013
    We had two monks in Old bouchard at one point and both were anecdotally told that because they were undead and lack "spirit" they could not generate kai as easily. But nothing came of it except a old player run god hinting at it. In terms of the teradrim thing and leylines, it is a city VS city thing, and we got told this before. So -really- a ruling should be given on the matter to clear it up.
    Carnifex failing since 2011. Fixes coming Soon ™
  • Yeah, agreed. I'm not really a big fan of having too many restrictions, but if one does exist, it's better to know about it - I've just filed an issue me asking for clarification, so we'll see.

Mastema
  • Okay, here's the reply! Not sure why you were told not to participate, apparently it's perfectly fine:

Message #613   Sent By: Veritas         Received On: 4/29/2013/16:34
    "Participating in a Foci battle isn't really regulated to having to be in a city. Naturally those without city get no benefit
    from pretty much all of the Foci related things but if they want to show up to fight on a certain city's side, well that opens
    them up to PK just as well. People without a city can still gain a Foci Aura, thus there is no reason to treat them any
    different."

RivasAlexina
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Thanks for checking on that, Ilyon.
    RivasAngwe
  • Ilyon said:
    Okay, here's the reply! Not sure why you were told not to participate, apparently it's perfectly fine:

Message #613   Sent By: Veritas         Received On: 4/29/2013/16:34
    "Participating in a Foci battle isn't really regulated to having to be in a city. Naturally those without city get no benefit
    from pretty much all of the Foci related things but if they want to show up to fight on a certain city's side, well that opens
    them up to PK just as well. People without a city can still gain a Foci Aura, thus there is no reason to treat them any
    different."
    There's a shocker of an outcome.
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Not really a shock. Leylines is an interesting conflict mechanism in the game and not all have the means/want to be in a city, especially when it can take a while to get approval for older players to be admitted. It gives people an opportunity to prove themselves capable and willing to assist.

I think it's good that people RP their stance properly though, like @Daskalos possibly attacking on the basis of "you looked like one of the enemy". At the same time, I think it should be possible to play it like @Atrapoema does, and show support for an organization even if he's not part of it. He knows what he's getting in to, and things are cool as long as entire organizations aren't pushed to make an extreme ruling.

The tethering system brings back some of the vibes I got from the old association laws. I remember hating them with a passion because it went to the point of stomping on RP, making it impossible to stand in the same room as someone aligned to the other side without some people crying out foul play. I don't want things to go that way again.

• Eh. Tethering is supposed to help maintain balance. It was brought about because people were grabbing weird classes that didn't really work for the side of the game they were on and using 'well we need it for group combat' as the excuse. A prime example would be druid in bloodloch even though it made absolutely no sense with the role of that city. The same would be a necromancer or teradrim as a member of Duiran.

Add to the fact that the original class compatibilities were pretty weird and didn't make all that much sense...well, let's just say tethering is better than it could be.

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    The issue with it is, because of tethering, classes are balanced around the presumption of only neutral + side's skills available. A rogue switching over allows for unintended skill stacking and combinations.
  • SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    Unfortunately, there's no mechanical restriction that you can really put in place and the administration has stated that they're not going to police it. Alas, I'm going to say that short of getting rid of rogues completely, there's not much that can be done in this instance about it.
  • edited April 2013
    Seir said:
    Unfortunately, there's no mechanical restriction that you can really put in place and the administration has stated that they're not going to police it. Alas, I'm going to say that short of getting rid of rogues completely, there's not much that can be done in this instance about it.
    the mechanism put in place -was- the Tethering system which the Admin probably thought was enough however a rogue from one side running around with the other side's org, but not officially "part of them", is frankly.. just stupid and an obvious attempt at abusing a loophole in the system.

Also there really -is- something that can be done, and it is the simple solution of RP. Why on Varian's aetolian green earth are Duirans even conversing and working with someone whose powers literally corrupt the land around him? I feel the Admin may have believed that the organizations would abide by their RP and not condone such interactions..it's saddening to say that it turns out they were wrong. Seriously I am not sure why laws and rules are being tossed around looking into this...it is as easy as boiling water. Teradrim = bad for nature, Duiran = love nature, Duiran no want to work with bad teradrim. Done.

Edit: cleaned up
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    edited April 2013
    Calipso, your post is so extremely narrow-minded and just feels like a rather unnecessary attempt to push your own agenda (and I'm not even sure why -one- Teradrim is bothering you so much). Duiran as a whole is against the Teradrim as a whole, but an individual having the class and associating with them can build up some pretty interesting roleplay. Likewise, this one person having a class on the opposite side of the tetherings aren't causing sudden and massive imbalance in combat. Asking the admin to step in to clean this up with just lead to a policing environment where the admins would set precedences for each side trying to govern what is 'right' and 'wrong' for the other side. Let's just play it out and see where it goes.

If you -truly- feel this is a bad thing, bring it up with Duiran and talk to to the teradrim. Explain to them in-character why you dislike Teradrim fighting for Duiran, question them about their ideals and their reasoning for having a teradrim fighting for their cause, and then just accept whatever happens - even if you on an OOCly level might not agree with the outcome in this specific instance. This game is about giving and taking, but sometimes it feels like no one ever wants to give.
    PhoeneciaTeaniPiperEmelle
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    Aside from (potentially) the golem, no part of the Teradrim skillset is 'bad for nature'. Where are you even getting that from?
  • Desiccation? ;)

• edited April 2013
    Angwe said:
    Aside from (potentially) the golem, no part of the Teradrim skillset is 'bad for nature'. Where are you even getting that from?
    Dessication by definition "removes plantlife in the room".

Sand cant be placed in a room already overgrowthed...

The golem can be viewed as a mockery of the Rhythm and natural life.

Teradrim and Earth(Ivoln) by RP definition can not work with nature and state it is a taint upon their realm..

Alexina said:
    Calipso, your post is so extremely narrow-minded and just feels like a rather unnecessary attempt to push your own agenda (and I'm not even sure why -one- Teradrim is bothering you so much). Duiran as a whole is against the Teradrim as a whole, but an individual having the class and associating with them can build up some pretty interesting roleplay. Likewise, this one person having a class on the opposite side of the tetherings aren't causing sudden and massive imbalance in combat. Asking the admin to step in to clean this up with just lead to a policing environment where the admins would set precedences for each side trying to govern what is 'right' and 'wrong' for the other side. Let's just play it out and see where it goes.

If you -truly- feel this is a bad thing, bring it up with Duiran and talk to to the teradrim. Explain to them in-character why you dislike Teradrim fighting for Duiran, question them about their ideals and their reasoning for having a teradrim fighting for their cause, and then just accept whatever happens - even if you on an OOCly level might not agree with the outcome in this specific instance. This game is about giving and taking, but sometimes it feels like no one ever wants to give.
    If one is allowed hun then it will just open the flood. We'll be seeing Daru and Sentinels(looking at you moirean -,-) hanging with darkies in time. Tethering was placed so as to not only make sure the Game RP isnt getting blurred, but also for combat balance sake. If the admin dont care for it then so be it, it'll probably come into question when more than 1 starts doing it.
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    edited April 2013
    From what I understand, Teradrim = Ivoln powers, Ivoln ideals = all wildlife/nature are parasites that leech strength from the Earth, should be cleansed, stuff like that.

• Ezalor said:
    From what I understand, Teradrim = Ivoln powers, Ivoln ideals = all wildlife/nature are parasites that leech strength from the Earth, should be cleansed, stuff like that.
    Teradrim no longer draw on their power from Ivoln and he is a non-factor for the class. The guild, on the other hand, bears differently for him. Mighty angry, etc, etc.
    edited April 2013
    Sand is a part of nature. The Sentinels still watch over the deserts, even if Ivolyn claims them. As for Dessication, Overgrowth by the Nature faction's RP can be just as destructive as Dessication. An unnatural overabundance of life is just as unbalancing to the Rhythm as the converse. Finally, Luminaries, Ascendril and Daru can all start wildfires and destroy plantlife. Being ABLE to do so does not make one's powers adversarial to nature*.
    /forumRP

Edit: *As long as the person who holds these powers doesn't USE them unless they've got a damn good reason!
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Make Teradrim a neutral class! Let elements be good for everyone!
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • AlistaireAlistaire Las Vegas, Nevada
    If Teradrim powers aren't drawn from evil dirt king Ivoln, why are they tied to Shadow? Is it really too much to ask that people don't twist and break what lore we do have because they want to be a snowflake? C'mon, guys. :(
  • edited April 2013
    Haven said:
    Make Teradrim a neutral class! Let elements be good for everyone!
    if that was the case I'd ask for each element getting its own specific class >.>.

Angwe said:
    Sand is a part of nature. The Sentinels still watch over the deserts, even if Ivolyn claims them. As for Dessication, Overgrowth by the Nature faction's RP can be just as destructive as Dessication. An unnatural overabundance of life is just as unbalancing to the Rhythm as the converse. Finally, Luminaries, Ascendril and Daru can all start wildfires and destroy plantlife. Being ABLE to do so does not make one's powers adversarial to nature*.
    /forumRP

Edit: *As long as the person who holds these powers doesn't USE them unless they've got a damn good reason!
    hmm, there is some logic in this that I can concede the point to.

Haern said:

Ezalor said:
    Teradrim no longer draw on their power from Ivoln and he is a non-factor for the class. The guild, on the other hand, bears differently for him. Mighty angry, etc, etc.
    That seems very wierd...Ivoln is pretty much the definition of Earth and Undeath..Teradrim utilize these powers. I feel if saying Teradrim dont draw their powers from Ivoln is like saying Luminaries dont draw their devotion from the Life gods :/
  • I agree. Give me Slyphe back.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• edited April 2013
    Slyphe belongs to no man~

I would encourage everyone who is interested to delve a bit into the Earthen lore that Teradrim are centered around. The elements in Aetolia are bit more complicated than what is being portrayed here, and there's quite a lot of depth to the foundation of where Teradrim draw their strength.

God, I would love to. There's so much lore hidden here and there! I haven't found the key to digging it up, though (except for old news posts).
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Heh. Dig up earth lore.
    SlypheEmelle
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Slyphe said:

I would encourage everyone who is interested to delve a bit into the Earthen lore that Teradrim are centered around. The elements in Aetolia are bit more complicated than what is being portrayed here, and there's quite a lot of depth to the foundation of where Teradrim draw their strength.
    Asking Aetolians to delve into the subtlety and shades of grey involved with Aetolian lore? You're asking a lot.

• Lin said:
    Asking Aetolians to delve into the subtlety and shades of grey involved with Aetolian lore? You're asking a lot.
    I can dream.

• Slyphe said:

Slyphe needs to turn back into a sexy sea goddess so Cali can have a few good laughs with her :(.
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Slyphe: RUN!

Hopefully factions can help address these sorts of RP gaps though! Factions for ERRYTHANG. Could have an undead monastery/temple where you can earn rep and have them recognize you as a brother/sister, etc, after a certain threshold. 
    LinRivas