That Other Video Game Thread

Comments

• THE WORLD IS A MACHINE.
  • I am looking forward to A Machine for Pigs. You know, so I can play five minutes at a time and exit out furiously whenever something mildly scary happens.
  • Good lord that Gamescom camera work was atrocious, but it made for some damn funny viewing.

Hadoryu

• Hitoshi Sakamoto did the music for Dragon's Crown through his Basiscape project. I really loved his work in Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy XII, so when I found out he did the music for Muramasa and Dragon's Crown with his team, I was really excited. This stage selection track is really awesome especially with the overworld visual.
  • Hnng A Machine For Pigs won't work. It's all right though, I hear it's just Dear Esther with lame-ass pig monsters anyway. Not in a rush to play a bad "game".

I am ready for Aigis suplexes and everyone's Shadow. Can't get enough of smug-as-hell Shadow Yosuke.
  • Reminds me of guilty gear
  • edited September 2013
    It's by the same developer, Arc System Works. They're now working on Persona 4: The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold (literally the best title ever) and Guilty Gear Xrd (the worst and best title).
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    If you're not playing Antichamber, you need to pick it up right now. It's on sale on Steam -- almost anyone playing this game can afford 4 bucks. It just ate more than 2 hours of my life and I didn't even realize it.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    Angwe
  • Aww but then suddenly, HAMMERWATCH THREAD.

i am rapture coder
    AarbrokSlyphePiper
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    My graphics card is incompatible with CoH2.... I sad
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    Oleis said:
    If you're not playing Antichamber, you need to pick it up right now. It's on sale on Steam -- almost anyone playing this game can afford 4 bucks. It just ate more than 2 hours of my life and I didn't even realize it.
    I think I love this game.
    Oleis
  • STEAM SALE

Gone Home & Brothers & Kentucky Route Zero & Antichamber & Mirrormoon EP & Shelter & all those other artsy fartsy games I didn't get to play over the year!

Btw Shelter is a game in which you play a mommy badger leading her baby badgers to safety. Holy crap just typing that description makes me want to buy it twice.
  • Seriously debating Total War Rome II, because it looks good. That being said, I have 50 games similar to it, and I'm pretty sure Sword of the Stars II is better than it in every way, besides the battles being completely different. That said, you can order your Leviathan to go charging towards enemies rolling on the x,y and z axis at the same time while.Had this debate when the game came out. Will most likely never stop having this debate.

Rome II is really really fun, multiplayer campaign can be difficult because of the load time in between factions.  Diplomacy was significantly improved (IE it actually exists and works) and unit diversity is through the roof.  Other notable improvements are walls are now difficult obstacles and not LOL like in shogun II or empire, generals bodyguard are still tough but not immortal, agents are more diverse and can do interesting things, battle size is huge, naval warefare is less LOL, siege equipment is god damn epically brutal and worth having.
  • edited December 2013
    @xiuhcoatl

I've heard poor things about Rome II, and I say this as a huge Total War fan. I tend to ignore when people complain about bugs, especially in a TW game, but from what I hear there's some fundamental design flaws that seemingly can't be ironed out. Mainly it's that the systems (particularly the senate diplomatic game) are mushy, vague and boring.  Been playing a lot of Europa Universalis IV lately, but it's not entirely the same thing.
  • Project Zomboid. Check it out. It's fantastic and crazy how much time it can and will absorb. (It turns you into a RL zombie, I swears) It reminds me of old school Resident Evil (as in 'ohgad zombies errwhere, crappy controls not letting me-- gah! Gonna diiieee') but then with added uh Harvest Moon functionality. Give it a try or see what it's all about first, I believe there's even a demo out to try first.

XeniaSeir
    Did you say harvestmoon? I'm sold
    PiperXenia
  • edited May 2014
    I'm a notorious lover of Kickstarter and especially back a lot of video games that pop up on that crowdfunding site. While most of these are now funded, I figured I'd share a lot of the ones I've backed as they're starting to pop up on Steam Greenlight or taking late "backer" packages if you snap it up on their websites:

Out of all of these, I am especially excited for Hyper Light Drifter and Darkest Dungeon.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I played through Broken Age! Was really good but can't wait for the next episode. ALL STAR CAST.
  • edited May 2014
    I see your Kickstarter games, @Haern, and raise you Radio the Universe:

I just realized how incredibly similar it is to Hyper Light Drifter. How strange.

i am rapture coder
  • Oh, wow, I haven't seen Armello since 2007. the computer club had it at college
    imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*

i am rapture coder
    I can't do kickstarters, I still have 2 discgaea games to "beat", That should last me from now till the nukes drop
    Ishin

• From Supergiant Games, makers of my beloved Bastion--Transistor! Which is out so very, very soon!

The Stomping Land was one of those other games I backed on KS. So glorious.

Been waiting for this to go live on KS! Pretty stoked for it.
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    That Transistor game is fucking beautiful.

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

Omei

Transistor is amazing. Supergiant Games is amazing.
    Witcher 3 is coming out this year and it's 20% larger than Skyrim. I so happy :D