Crafting Ideas

Comments

• SessizlikSessizlik Muffin Mage
    Moirean said:
    I know it used to be in Mog, but the shop hasn't had it for days now, I keep checking and there's nothing.

A Mhun merchant says, "Ah! Let me show you what I have!"
            chisel68144 a chisel                                          5    200gp
               ore78533 a quantity of silver ore                         20    150gp
           pickaxe80094 a sturdy pickaxe                                 10    260gp
          hematite85185 a lump of unworked iron                          30     50gp
           quartz102114 a dazzling white quartz                          15    210gp

It's still there.

Moirean
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Oh THAT shop. No wonder I was derping out and couldn't find it. Heh. I was checking the stone shop daily going why isn't it here!
    Sessizlik
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    I must've missed the post about tags.

I actually think the current system is pretty good as it allows plenty of room for variation. If you want a belt, pick up tailoring to make a belt. Heck, in Achaea, you're not allowed to make steel boots because tailors are tailors and not forgers (that was the literal message I received when my design got rejected). Anyway, I am not fully sympathetic to your situation. If you chose to pick up jewelcrafting instead of tailoring, you will be making jewelry and not belts. It's the same in World of Warcraft or most other popular games out there.

Unless the crafting system gets revamped (again) in a way that merges all of the tradeskills into one, I think there should be distinction between the crafts. If you don't want to learn tailoring yourself, there's lots of nice people that wouldn't mind helping you out.
  • So if I make a little, for the sake of arguments we'll call it a medallion. A charm. A trinket.

I make it out of diamonds and rubies and emeralds and all kinds of other pretty shit, and I wrap it all in metal. I hang it from a little golden chain, and put it around the neck. That's a piece of jewelry. If I cut half that chain off, and put it around the wrist? That's jewelry too. Ankle? Same.

But if I make that same chain just a -little- bit longer, so it can sit over someone's hips and be worn around the waist, it has now become a belt? I mean, what is the definition of jewelry, here?

According to some feller named Merry Webster:

objects of precious metal often set with gems and worn for personal adornment
    or
     decorative objects (such as rings, necklaces, and earrings) that people wear on their body

And really the belt/charm/chain issue isn't that big of a deal. It's already resolved, and the item is made. The problem is the mentality that drives an argument like that.

It sure as fuck doesn't make me want to go learn tailoring, I'll promise you that.
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Agreeing with @Rashar here, @Alexina. A chain is a chain. If it's worn around the waist it's still a chain, not a belt. If it's worn, tangled in the hair, it's still a chain. If you make a chain that is referred to as being "long enough to wrap all around the waist" it can still be wound multiple times around the wrist if that is how the wearer wants to specify the attire.

The reason the wear-slot is there is so that people can't wear 61658143652 things around their necks and look like Mr T and reap the benefits of all those things. But nothing prevents someone from hanging a chain from a hoop in their pants with attire, so why reject a design based on the looks of it, if it is all grammatically correct and makes sense in general?

@Nola's suggestion to make it possible for the designer to allocate a wear-slot to an item is a good one. If wear-location and overall design makes sense together, approve!

• AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    edited January 2014
    I wasn't really arguing about the worn slots as much as the notion of being able to put whatever you want in the appearance line. Really, removing the slots would be great.

This is just an example, but using a 'charm' design to make 'a chain-like belt encrusted with gems' just because you don't want to learn tailoring or ask a tailor to craft your design seems like a weird attitude to have considering how easy it would be for anyone with the tailoring skillset to make that item. We have lots of freedom in this system and asking for changes (i.e being allowed to use any noun in the appearance line regardless of the item type) when the options available to you already solves the situation seems redundant.

I'm not really sure where I was headed with this argument except I sort of think it makes sense that there isn't a 'belt' design in jewelcrafting. Apart from that, there was lots of good stuffs in all the posts.

EDIT:
    Never mind.
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    The reason why the damn argument took an hour, @Rashar, is because you didn't make it clear from the beginning that you didn't have Tailoring. And I made it pretty damn clear that pretty much every item design in crafting can be made out of anything.

As it is with crafting, you already CAN change the wear location of worn items if it has multiple wear slots. A sash can be worn at the waist, shoulder, and head slots, and you can change the default location it's worn at. Another thing most people forget is that you can change the ATTIRE line - the line that shows up in the worn list when you look at somebody. So really, it's not that hard to customize things the way you want within the limitations of the crafting system.

Is it annoying that you have to include the item noun in all of the descriptions? Not really. You have to know what the item is in order to properly interact with it. HELP CRAFTING REFERENCES, if you look, also has a ton of alternative nouns to use, which gets expanded all the time. There's limitations, which, yes, are annoying, but you learn to deal with them and work within them to make what you want even if an item type doesn't exist.

Before the locket design type ever existed, most people would use the necklace pattern and refer to it as either a 'locket necklace' or 'locket pendant'. If I wanted to make a tasset, I'd just use the belt design. Trellises don't exists, and unwieldly as it is, I just use the decoration design in furniture. Since bouquets and flowers don't show up in room descs when they're put in vases, I just make vases with flowers in them. It's really not that hard to be creative within crafting limitations until the things you want get fixed or put in.
    This is unrelated, but it would be nice if the knives bought from the knife seller in Delve could have their decay time extended since 15 IG months is kind of short for how much they cost, and the knife roll that goes with them doesn't decay, and they're pretty nice for RP items. Or even better, make it so that they have a number of uses before they get dulled and need to be sharpened. I just really like RP items. >_>
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    edited January 2014
    Or add knives to forging. Would love to have skinning knives and ritual knives and uhh barfightstabbing knives.

Unrelated, but could cooking satiation be looked into? Right now, there's really no point from a monetary standpoint to buy or sell anything other than casseroles for actual hunger consumption. All the other designs are just for RP, really, since they are drastically less nourishing (a casserole is 150 satiation, while a stew is like...30). Normalizing these and maybe making desserts and snacks be an outlier would be really nice and would make it feel like less of a waste of space to stock a range of food options.

Also, maybe kebab could lose the wood comm? That's a base cost of 30ish gold built in, and the profit margin for cooking is already tiny. Maybe change it to an iron (iron skewers are totes a thing), as iron is WAY cheaper than wood.
    PiperPhoenecia
  • Yes plz to knives..I want cookware expanded to cutlery.

Saybre did a couple of battles where he opened with throwing a fork with venom it, then attacking. Not for any particular advantage (it's too slow for combat) but it was terribly hilarious. "Did..did you just throw a fork at me? AWWW MACES IN MY FACE"

But the Delvian knives are stupid expensive for the decay time as Phoe said, so I gave up on that quick.
    PiperAreka
  • Alright guys, I'd like you all to breathe in once with me. Got it? Alright, let it out.

Good.

You are very right in that the attire system can be somewhat of a pain when it comes to restrictions, but, it is ultimately here to stay.

What you can do; however, is post items like chain that for some reason don't have an attire slot that makes sense. I would be more than happy to go through the list and add wear locations/tweak as is necessary.

Regarding including the name in the design: what has been said about referencing the item by name is exactly correct, it makes it easy for you to tell what it is you're dealing with, and interact with it. While I understand that it would be nice for crafters to be able to put anything into the name description as @Alexina had suggested, this is something that will unfortunately not be happening.

To help with that though, I've been reading and implementing tons of new ways to reference items, adding ingredients, and even designs that can be made lately. Messages to Becue are now being properly received on a timely basis, so if there is something you would like to have crafted, post it in this thread or message Becue IG, and I'll look into it. If there is a basis for it existing in Aetolia, I have absolutely no qualms whatsoever with going through the work to make it accessible for you guys as a design or commodity, just give me time.

Satiation is another thing I would be willing to look into, but I'd prefer if that was given its own thread and talked out by everybody. If a new satiation scale could be agreed upon that's appropriate for the theme of things, I would have no issues going through and tweaking that as well.

TeaniNolaArekaMoirean
  • I want a lantern design! When are we getting those? And I'd like Divan to be put in for crafting references to a bed as I have a design that got rejected a long time ago because it wasn't on there but I've seen others who've gotten it through.

And on the matter of the chain - Could you just add waist to the attire spot? Seems easypeasy to me. I get that having to wait for such changes is annoying from RP stand points but if @slyphe is right and someone is -finally- being Becue and paying attention. Need to start jumping on these things we'd like tweaked before that goes away.
    imageimage
  • A quick search led me to believe divans would be better put as an alternative to couch, so now that exists! HELP CRAFTINGREFERENCES has been updated with this addition.

Chains can also now be worn around the waist as well, but I -believe- you may need to craft new ones for it to have an effect. 

• edited January 2014
    For the chain, it changed to waist on mine but I put permanence it after it was given to Elwyn.
    imageimage
  • Can Brooch has the reference 'Pin' ?
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Why, when we have a brooch design? :/

I don't understand all of these redundant/duplicate alternatives (like sandals being shoes when we have shoes). 
    Arbre
  • Nola said:
    Can Brooch has the reference 'Pin' ?
    I just went to add this, but it seems it's been this way for a little while now. Updated in the help file now to reflect it.

• @Slyphe with the Attire, it might not be the topic for it but can 'shields' buckler, tower, kite etc be 'armour' and not made for the back...  as with a cloak, armour you can only wear 1 shield, where some 'fairies' might want to wear two shields for different limb/attack speeds.. or even two shields for different resistances

Really sorry for it being combat/skill related but it is attire and VERY annoying :( 
    Mudlet Bashing System for sale. Message if interested
    Haven
    @Slyphe: I posted a list of stuff on the previous page for crafting that hasn't been implemented yet/doesn't currently exist in-game. >_>
  • That requires a bit more work! I'll be looking into that list Soon(tm). 

(Just kidding, probably maybe tonight)

@Nalor As it stands, actually, wearing the shield is part of a weaponry ability, not something attire-related.

• @Slyphe Yep I know but it messes up with the attire as it uses the 'back' attire.... If you wish to wear cloak back, wear pack back, and wear shield, the shield wont be worn.. Me and @Haven tested it.. We only have two 'back' spaces and shield (if wearing) takes up one :(
    Mudlet Bashing System for sale. Message if interested
  • I've gone ahead and updated the maximum spaces worn on the back to be 3 to accommodate you shield-cloak-pack wearing types! 

• AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    Slyphe said:
    I've gone ahead and updated the maximum spaces worn on the back to be 3 to accommodate you shield-cloak-pack wearing types! 

This makes certain members of the community insanely happy. Thank you.

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

• NeithanNeithan Sunspear, the Principality of Dorne
    Any chance you could fix pauldrons while you're at it, @Slyphe? I really, really wanna wear Alistaire's neat pauldrons.
    Saybre
  • What's the issue with them at the moment? Refresh me on that so that I can look into a fix.

• You can design them. Get them approved all day long.

There's no way to actually MAKE Them.

Unlike FORGE HELM

You can't Forge Pauldron/Forge Pauldrons/etc.
    Neithan
  • Big project..not sure if feasible. Would love much.

[Spoiler]
    Current Design listing.
    Design#  Appearance                      Status      Owner        Months
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
        723  a suit of emberite ring mai...  Approved    Saybre          106

New format:
    Anything untagged besides default is under 'Misc'
    Either if you don't have a design for a crafting type it will just list <none> or the category will not exist.

If you go further and do DESIGN LIST FORGING HELMS SAYBRE - it will list only the Saybre helms. Etc. as the current design listing with time, status, etc.

CONFIG DESIGN CATEGORIZE ON

DESIGN LIST FORGING

Forging
    -----------------
    +-Draft
    +-Submitted
    +-Rejected
    Helms
    +-------------
     +-Saybre
     +-Pack
     +-Roux
     +-Misc
    Armor
    +-------------
     +-Saybre
     +-Pack
     +-Misc
    Weapons
    +-------------
     +-Saybre
     +-Pack
     +-Misc
    Cookware
    +-------------
     +-Misc

Woodcrafting
    ------------------
    Vials
    +---------------
      +-Saybre
      +-Misc
    Pipes
    +---------------
      +-Misc
    Chest & Boxes
    +--------------
      +-Misc
    Tinderbox
    +-------------
     <none>
    [/spoiler]
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Would it be possible to give crafters the ability to color edit a piece in favor of rejection and in turn give the submitter the power of accepting or rejecting the proposed changes? For instance:

design request, blah blah blah

A new item (#1234) has been added to the Forging queue!

craftersguild show design1234
    Short: A broekn rapier
    Verbose: The wooden pommel carved to look like a lions head frozen midroar. 2 Awesome Varian Crystals is awesum and slant makes up the lions eyes shining splendidly blue like sapphire suns. They hum with power. Blade itself mhun-dane curves from the handguard and splits down the middle ending in a sir-rated edge thats too hot to handle.
    Commodities: 1 steel, 1 wood, 2 variangem

craftersguild edit design1234
    Short: A broken rapier
    Verbose: The wooden pommel is carved to look like a lion's head frozen mid-roar. Slanted in their respective slots, Varian crystals make up the lion's eyes, shining in their splendor like two sapphire suns. The blade itself is mundane, curving out from the handguard and ending with a serrated edge despite the split down the middle of its frame.
    * Crafter's Note: Grammar, sentence structure, and spelling issues. We're also not allowed to imply emotions and actions in the descriptions of items (Awesome, too hot to handle, etc). See HELP CRAFTINGRULES for reference and other tips.

The original design and former edits would be amended in a section below it for the submitter (and other potential onlookers) to compare with the current version. If edits are made, a crafter's note is mandatory, briefly explaining the changes. If the submitter approves of the changes made to their current design, they could "design approve 1234" and push the item forward with 1 approval vote (the crafter who made the edit's vote as opposed to the submitter's own vote) and wait for others to approve as normal. Otherwise, they could reject the changes and remove the item from the queue entirely before starting again if they wished. If everything's A-OK then it continues as normal like what we currently have.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    TeaniSaybreInfin
  • I had a really weird dream a few weeks ago and I thought it was true until today. I could have sworn @Oleis made a post stating that flint was now cacheable. :/ Ruined my morning

(Still an Oleisbian though and quickly becoming a Slyphbian too)
  • SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    Periluna said:
    I had a really weird dream a few weeks ago and I thought it was true until today. I could have sworn @Oleis made a post stating that flint was now cacheable. :/ Ruined my morning

(Still an Oleisbian though and quickly becoming a Slyphbian too)
    I bugged it once, they said it was working, but there are several of us that haven't gotten it to work. So, I rebugged it. I still <3@Oleis, though.