Crafting Ideas

Comments

• Would it be possible to allow us to put more items in our cache? For instance, certain gems/cooking items like coral or potatos or carrots can't be put in there.

Tyrai
  • DaingeanDaingean Xanhaal, probably.
    Flint, too.
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.
    AngweAardeSarita
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Items that spawn (like flint or potatoes) can't be cached, it was something I'd initially asked about when the big cacheing upgrade went in. It's also an issue when things have the same root, I think (such as the gem gem gem gem gem gem gem gems). 
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    edited December 2013
    Daingean said:
    Flint, too.

All my agrees. Plz fix.
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Untrue. You can INC things like lemons and oranges, which have their own spawning versions which can't be INC'd.
  • EMBERITE *sob* I know I just have to dig it up, but I have older designs that I was unaware of the intricacies of crafting, in that I could have just added -1- emberite to the design, but I was a poor fool and added as many as I designed in the description. (It's hard to find 3 emberite at one time sometimes!!)

Please let me cache them.
  • SessizlikSessizlik Muffin Mage
    I wish I could inc eggs, chocolate, peanuts and cherry. :/
    Moirean
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    here is an idea..

I would love to have an option where we could clear the comments from the design once its been approved.  Or have it auto clear the comments after approval.

No one cares or wants to see the comments after the design was approved, and more so if you share the design with others or a group, they see the comments as well. 
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
    ArbreMoireanInfin
    Alternatives:
    - Boxes or bags as 'kit' (a medic's kit, etc)
    - Bench as 'pew' (sadly not pew pew pew pew pew pew ./lasers)
    - Wineskin as just skin or waterskin
    - wardrobe - closet

Adjustments:
    - For combs to be wearable/a jewelry alternative that is wearable (hair comb!)

New:
    - For 'blend' or 'pinch' or something for cooking, for making bundles of seasoning combinations for easier adding.
    - a knife

For HELP CRAFTINGREFERENCES to be updated >>

ProcellPeriluna
  • I totally thought I went in and updated craftingreferences just recently with the last batch of rolled out items. I'll tack that to my to-do list. As for your suggestions, do be prepared to see some of them Soon(tm)!

Areka
    Oh oh! 

And 'skewer' as an alternative to kebab!
    Sessizlik
    Areka said:
    Oh oh! 

And 'skewer' as an alternative to kebab!

This so much!
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    edited January 2014
    Phoenecia said:
    Forging
    o If possible, could pauldrons get fixed? As it is, you can design them, but not actually make them, and it's been like that for months now.

Cooking
    o For cooks, a recipe for making waffles, or making it an alternative to the pancakes recipe.

o Be able to make bagels in cooking, maybe as an alternative to the rolls recipe.

Cooking Ingredients
    o Beets
    o Currants
    o Tapioca
    o Cassava root
    o Taro root
    o Soybeans
    o Jellyfish - they used to exist before, but now they're not found anywhere
    o Stingray - the only option for rays are the ones in Nal'jin, which are difficult for anyone below endgame to get.

Jewelcrafting
    o Lantern
    o Pocketwatch
    o Compass

Woodcrafting
    o Birdhouse/birdfeeder
    o Paintbrush

Furniture
    o Chandelier
    o Plaque

Tailoring
    o Sleeves

Floristry
    o More flowers!
    o Skyheather
    o Pansy
    o Lotus
    o Bird of Paradise flower
    o Trillium

Just reposting this since I noticed a few crafting updates lately.

Another thing I've remembered is that there's a weird thing with skycrystal where if you buy it in Aerie, it drops out of your inventory on logout. I don't know if that's supposed to happen or not.
    Piper
    Cooking items for the Delos shop:
    - mussels
    - squid
    - hare/rabbit
    - maybe some sort of generic "fish" option
    - maybe some kind of generic "poultry" option to encompass stuff like duck, quail, etc
    - cumin
    - bamboo
    - caraway
    - coriander
    - fennel
    - tumeric

Quartz somewhere other than Eno. It used to be sold in Mog, but doesn't seem to be anymore or it's been sold out for several RL days now.

ArekaPiper
    You have White quartz in Moghedu, @Moirean. I bought one a while ago from one of the merchants. Rose quartz, however, is only in Enorian, I Believe.
    I know it used to be in Mog, but the shop hasn't had it for days now, I keep checking and there's nothing.
  • So a discussion was brought up among a number of fellow crafters about a particularly frustrating restriction with designs that came with the new attire system - which is wear locations.

If I wanted to make, say, a chain that could be worn as a belt at the waist and I only had the Jewelcrafting tradeskill, then I'd be limited to what I could, since chain is set so it is worn on the wrist. There are a number of other items like this, but the main point is, it is restrictive when it doesn't have to be. The way the attire system is set up, I can just set my attire to show where I'm wearing said item. The wear locations are for the most part, unnecessary, except in the fewer cases of non-roleplay items that have significant purpose beyond making your character look fancy.

It'd be great if either:
    - Wear locations on all roleplay-based items were removed (or even, all items)
    - We could add our own wear location to the design 

AarbrokHavenPerilunaInfin
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    ^ All of the above.

Its a particular frustration with things like neckwear as well.  I mean yeah, we don't want to look like a bunch of iced out 1990's rappers, but thats what ATTIRE CONCEAL is for.

I have a Caves amulet
    Ylem amulets
    Medallion from Chapel Gardens
    Another necklace that is non decay from somewhere.

I can't wear these all, and at least three of them have significant functionality.
    Nola
    I put in a report to expand wear locations or just remove them, and it was rejected. For some reason, wear locations are desired, but yeah, it's really frustrating. As an Indorani, I can never wear the stag helm, for example, because bonehelm takes my head slot.
    I would like to know -who- desires them....

Not one person I have talked to does.  
  • Also, if someone could please explain to me why it is a hard rule that the item 'name' has to be in the appearance..

Continued from above, since the item @nola mentioned was mine. I get that I made it out of a charm. But that is because I had to. There are literally no items worn on the waist to be made with jewelcraft (If there are, please point it out to me, because I entirely missed it in the 1024545436 times I read over the list).  

So basically, the one item I have to work with that isn't taking up another slot now has to literally appear as a 'charm'.. Which, I mean, let's be real. Charm is dumb.

What is worse is that I actually argued with someone for close to an hour over whether or not it really needed to be a belt. Which would have required me to learn an entirely different skill as well as just coughing up the credits and lessons. Rashar does not want to tailor, and he shouldn't need to be in order to put together a collection of silver chain and precious stones. Which is the same thing that necklaces, bracelets, anklets, piercings, rings, etc are made of. 

It's a weird mentality, and I have heard nothing but frustration over it. Why not fix it?

My proposal: 

What Nola said. If you're going to let people 'attire' something however they want, why not stop skirting the mechanics and just change the mechanics. Or, even easier, the rule that follows them.

A common sense clause. Like, if it looks like a glove, is built like a glove, and shaped like a glove.. let them call it a glove in the appearance. Even if it is made of a 'gauntlet' template. (An example off the top of my head, I'm sure there is a glove template too.)

Aarbrok
    Name has to be in the appearance so people know what the item is to interact with it. It's pretty feasible to get new nouns added for the appearance options though (check out HELP CRAFTINGREFERENCES), so I'd post here with suggestions or ask Becue. Fairly certain "chain" already is a jewelcrafting choice? If not, it should be.
    The problem was, they could not use chain as worn on waist because its a specific wrist worn item, which was silly.  I think originally, and they had to use charm because it was the only one that could be worn on waist if I am correct
    Oh, someone was objecting to them describing it like that? I'd say that's just the queue being too pedantic. I certainly wouldn't reject over that.
    AarbrokTeani
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, it was another case of, crafters....being well crafters.  Which I thought was supposed to stop.
    Not so much.

I went into B-word mode again, I tend to do that on these sort of things....
    Carry on folks, my part is said ... Unicorns, I can be an arse
  • Charm is worn nowhere. It's a generic space, or so it seems.
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    edited January 2014
    Re: Rashar
    The reason item type needs to be in the appearance is so that people will be able to intuitively interact with it. Let's say someone logs into Aetolia for the first time ever and after a bit someone gives him all these amazing items. He tries to probe the belt but it doesn't work. He tries to wear it but it doesn't work. Then he sees the glove and the same thing happens again.

Now, all the other muds out there actually lets you buy or wear or drop the belt if that is what it is. To be honest, I don't think Aetolia needs to be any different.

What I would like to see would be a way to freeform our designs completely. That is, letting us make our very own item type. This is how designs currently look:

Design #340    Months Left: 120
    Item type: Tapestry  Components:  6 cloth 2 rope
    Additional Ingredients: NONE
    Allowed: NONE

If we could do something like 'design 340 type carpet' to change the noun to carpet, that would be kind of neat. This way, people could really make anything they ever wanted. Wouldn't that be great?

EDIT:
    To clarify: The word 'type' you specify will also be the noun seen when it is in your inventory ('carpet1234' in this example).
    AarbrokMoirean
    That sounds like an awesome idea. Crafter queue could just reject stuff that's too zany and outside the current time/theme appropriate rules we have already. It'd be a pretty nifty way to make stuff especially for unique RP items.
    Aarbrok
  • @alexina How would that be any different from the tag being in the appearance?

For example, I think my first appearance was something like, 'a shimmering crescent, wreathed in diamonds'

If I tag shimmering, crescent, and diamond.. along with the normal charm, trinket, whatever.. chances are, they're going to figure out how to pick it up.

I dunno, though.
    Oh the tag idea sounds fun too. I like both of these ideas!