Crafting Ideas

Comments

• Guys, admin coloring here. Please make sure to move past discussing the terminology/etc as Sarosh stated. Much appreciated!

• ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    Is there a particular reason findable things (like mithril) aren't cacheable?

Also, unrelated, can we get the cap on forging things lifted? Or at -least- raised? I have no idea why a normal person would be limited to holding ten skysilver or shieldbark or ogrebone or what have you. The cap makes no sense at all. They're expensive enough that you're not going to have a bunch of people flocking to the merchant to buy them all at once just because they can. Even if they did, isn't that the reason they're so stupidly expensive? To be a goldsink (not that forging needed to be more of one)?
    imageimage
  • edited April 2015
    The findable things is because they reset back to a spot or have coding in them to respawn. It's a hardcoded thing, that's why some alternatives have been made to be sold in shops that can be cacheable so they aren't set to reset.

Edit - And let me add to that. Some things spawn, which there are a few items in this category that are cacheable. They work differently, since they don't reset, but we made the ruling to only allow shop-sold items cacheable from here on out to make it less confusing.
    Ah. Kk! Any ETA on the awesomeness that is the other gems being made cacheable?
    imageimage
  • No ETA right now. I was provided with the details to look into and get info to make it happen, but have been battling with pregnancy tiredness and working on a larger project.
    Nodnod. No rush and all, was just curious. ^.^

Could we get garnet added to the colours we can use dyekit for? Went to use it on an alt, for a tunic and discovered it isn't a listed colour.

imageimage
    I'm not sure how viable it is, but I would really, really, really like it, if we could pull up a list of designs that doesn't have -any- set tags (beyond the base irremovable one).

Trying to go through all my designs and tag all the things I designed before tags were a thing is super hard. Would be infinitely easier to be able to do newd list tailoring tagless or what have you to pull up the ones without tags.
    imageimage
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Design code is still one of the things I'm less familiar with, but I feel like we can probably do this. Let me give it a glance later today.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    Erzsebet
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Or a way to delete tags entirely. I have a few tags without any designs to them that are just staring at me (especially appropriate as one is "creepy-eye").
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Seeing as the portraits were a nerdy hit with some people, would it be possible to add an ascii option for when crafting paintings?

Meaning you'd see the ascii art if you look at the painting, and then read the description when reading it, perhaps? If Admin needs an example of what it might look like, Chakrasul has one of the calendars!

I thought it'd be neat to have the firework code be an option for paintings and for special pages in books.
    TeaniAldricAishia
    edited April 2015
    Urgh. We need less ascii art, not more IMO.

To clarify--the firework code doesn't really bug me that much. It's everywhere else that it bothers me--in news posts, letters, help files etc. It's extremely immersion-breaking in most cases.
    imageimage
    Perhaps not everyone is good with ascii, and perhaps it shouldn't be required, but I still think it would be neat if there was an option to add an ascii image. Just make it possible to VIEW it separately. That way those who don't want to look at it won't have to.

As for the firework code, I've not worked with it, but I get a sense that it's a bit limited in terms of number of lines?

Firework code's limited in lines for the sake of its format, which books are not. Limited to working with hashtags, but you've got color and spacing. Wouldn't have to be an exact copy/paste.
    Ah, yeah, not exactly what I would prefer for ascii on paintings, though color code would be nice.

• MarienaMariena By a lake.
    I really love the ascii in scrolls and stuff. I can't ever imagine anyone writing down stuff plainly forever. Someone, somewhere will want to pretty something up. Since ascii is the option for quick and dirty prettyfying. I don't want to read a line at the top of a help file that says there's scrollwork at the top - I wanna see it.

For example
    LOOK PAINTING would give the normal descriptive text, like this:

This painting depicts a battle scene, where reds and grays compete for dominance. Shapes of mortals clash against one another in the middle of the scene, featureless yet fierce. A bright white stroke of paint resembles a scythe bearing down on an unfortunate victim already covered in crimson blood. Dark, thin arrows stick out at odd angles from the ground and the people littering it. To the side, a dark tangle of criss-crossing lines brings out the shape of a leaf-less tree, expertly shaded to bring out some nuance in the bark. In the forefront, a black-clad Syssin is crouching, whip secured within easy reach while the bow is aimed straight into the fray. All of it has been framed by simple blackened wood, blending seamlessly with the dark image. Just above the frame, in the right hand corner, the painting has been signed with an elaborate "T".

while VIEW PAINTING would bring out an ascii image if available, like:
    http://hastebin.com/lunasadobo.vbs

or giving a generic line if not, much like taste/smell, like:
    You consider the painting thoughtfully.

Areka
    Eh. As long as look and probe DON'T show it, I guess it doesn't hurt anything. Still don't think it belongs in Aetolia.
    imageimage
    It's art done with text, but you're entitled to your opinion, of course.

And no, I didn't want it to show unless one wished to view that option, and not everyone wants to add (or can make) that kind of thing, but it's fun for some of us and I think good ascii art can look really nice.

• Hey I can't unlook at pizza and tacos and polka dot panties on shop lists but nobody cares about my immersion.

ArekaTeaniAldricAlexina
    I care. >.> I just don't have the power to retro smash them all. >.>
    imageimage
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    @Rashar didn't you know Horkvali culture is Mexican and all Grecht are Italian those foods make perfect sense.
    Didi
    edited April 2015
    Why is boutonniere even worn on the shirt to begin with? Every single picture I can find on the first page of an image search for 'worn boutonniere' or 'where to wear a boutonniere' puts it on the lapel or breast of a coat. That I have to wear a shirt to wear a boutonniere is point-blank stupid.

Tangentially related: Pots in floristry? Shrubs? Trees? Trellis (if not in floristry, then in furniture)? Pretty please? Decoration is an unnecessary ten characters that makes it stupid hard to properly write an sdesc, and I don't want to make 'a flourishing apple tree decoration', it's a tree, not party streamers.
    imageimage
    I don't know if it's possible, but would there be a way to have SEW OUTFIT (tag) or MASSPRODUCE (tag) IN PACKAGE/etc to be adaptable to accessible designs?

Example: I transferred several designs (templaruni2) tag to the guild's ownership - which means that massproducing that tag only produces the designs I have full ownership of. I'd transfer them all over if I could, "MASSPRODUCE (owner) (tag) IN PACKAGE", IE, "MASSPRODUCE TEMPLAR TEMPLARUNI2 IN PACKAGE". or just ACCESS. I know there's some complication with the accessibility and having to check..something.
    edited April 2015
    Unrelated: What ever happened to the revamp of the crafting system that Clexx was working on? I know he asked a bunch of questions to me, Nola and (presumably) other crafters about what we thought would work, what we thought was/wasn't working now, etc, and said he was working on a completely new system for it but that was easily RL years ago.

Did it get shelved, is it still being worked on, is something else being worked on therein?

Edit: Oooh. I got ninja'd by Areka. That would be spiffy.

Also, unrelated, could we have a config to sets autopay as the default maybe? I know some people don't want them as autopay, but it's a pain in the butt for the rest of us.
    imageimage
    The ability to search by multiple tags, maybe?

Like. If someone's like. HEY KIRA. I WANT A BLUE DRESS. Instead of searching by dress (86 dresses) or blue (currently 106 and I'm not even close to done tagging 'cause it's really hard to tell what's tagged and what's not), I could be like, NEWD LIST BLUE, DRESS and it'll pull up...a much more reasonable number of things that are actually what I'm looking for.

...also maybe the ability to clear all the tags on a design? Sometimes it copying the tags is helpful, if you're working with the same colours/materials, but then sometimes, you shift gears and you need to copy a birdcage and your only birdcage has 900 tags on it that you don't need. Usually not -that- extreme. But still. Would be useful to have a clear all tags function.
    imageimage
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    edited April 2015
    <3
    Not sure viability, but could we get something that works similarly to changelog for Becue/crafting rulings? So 1) we don't have to reference the time before, where she made the ruling on someone's design, which we have no record of to show as proof, or when she answered a question via message and it just says something like 'That's fine, yes.' and you can't use -that- as proof because there's no way to prove what you asked her to begin with and 2) for consistency more than anything else. 500 different rulings that flip-flop on an issue and confuse the crap out of crafters and approvers as far as what's allowed/viable and what isn't, won't be made if Becue can say it once and have it recorded somewhere so we don't -need- to ask every single time if something is viable or not. We can just refer to the log, which if nothing else will stop it from flip-flopping every other time someone asks Becue. Will also stop her from needing to comment with rulings on designs which stays on after approval cluttering up designs.

If it's a all possible, it would be fairly awesome and clear up/streamline a lot of the issues that make crafting a bitch to deal with.

Unrelated, similarly, not sure on viability, but having it check your cache for stuff before telling you you don't have any would be awesome. It'd probably be most useful for brewing and cooking, but it'd still be shiny for jewelcrafts and furniture and tailoring and all the rest, especially as more and more shinies become cacheable.
    imageimage
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    edited May 2015
    I am pretty sure everyone but you saying it is the rule should have been well enough an answer.
    Call me silly, but I said it before...you are not the ultimate answer to everything that is crafting, accept gracefully when you are wrong and alot of these issues would cease to be issues. Just my two cents.
    edited May 2015
    I'm not infalliable, no. And I only gave my opinion on the whole thing because it was asked for, directly, by name. That said, I'd really appreciate it if you stopped attacking me personally. I haven't done anything to deserve it, nor do I think I am the end-all be-all crafting authority.

I'm not just talking about that one instance in any case. I'm talking about this is a thing being a thing that happens all the time. Person A has an issue, Becue addresses it on a personal level, none of the approvers know what's going on because they didn't look at the queue that day, or maybe it was on a woodcraft design and they don't have it, but it still applies to their own crafts--there's no way to go back and reference these things later. So by the time Person B gets around to having the same issue, some people are convinced it's fine, because they weren't aware of the last ruling saying it wasn't, and some remember the last ruling and are therefore convinced it's not, so Person B goes and asks Becue. Sometimes the answer is the same. Sometimes it's the exact opposite in the exact same scenario. A crafting log of some kind that logs rulings would fix a lot of the headache and confusion as well as a lot of the inconsistency.

Edit: ...and you were agreeing with me when I suggested a changelog-type thing in clan yesterday, so I'm not sure why you're suddenly up in my face about it.
    imageimage