Crafting Ideas

Comments

• ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Does it take up the head slot though? So you can have a brooch pinned to your scalp but not wear that jaunty hat it would go on? Or have the slots/numbers per slot been re-tooled?

• @Areka Pretty sure it takes the headslot--still only one of those, artifact exceptions aside.

I'm not really tripping too hard about it, I just think it's mildly obnoxious. Most of my characters don't wear shirts. Tunics, dresses, cloaks, corsets--but no shirts. And most of these also don't wear belts, but -do- wear something on their head. So I have to buy/make a shirt/belt I'm not going to wear, wear it, wear the brooch, and then take the erroneous clothing off.
    imageimage
  • Areka said:

Does it take up the head slot though? So you can have a brooch pinned to your scalp but not wear that jaunty hat it would go on? Or have the slots/numbers per slot been re-tooled?

There is no 'on hat' in existence either, from what I'm looking at. Using the 'head' option would take up a head slot, but head should be able to handle 2 items. So, you could have a hat and the pin.
    Areka
    Thanks for the clarification, @Dristin!
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Adding wear slots seems to have only made things more annoying.
    ErzsebetTeaniIshin
  • edited March 2015
    I'm a new convert to Aetolia, and, I have to say, your crafting system is -amazing-. It's friendly, it's open, it's clear, and its adaptable. I have just one concern, which may well only apply to cooking - I don't feel that I can adequately describe the experience of consuming food within 240 characters. I had a concise eaten 1p message prepared, and I was forced to shave off almost every descriptor until it was left as little more than 'you eat the food and you taste these things', which is entirely unsatisfying, as a designer and as a consumer.

Would it be possible to extend those at all?

EDIT/ As an example of what I was trying to achieve;
    I wanted this:
    Your first bite of the pizza seizes a spiced and saucy length of fluffy crust, and the taste of garlic, tomato and bread do little to soothe the infernal blend of spices that lingers on the tongue. Another bite rewards you with a mouthful of seared buffalo brushed with enough lemon juice to salve the dry heat, the flavors of juicy meat and tart citrus and crumbling goat cheese.

I got this:
    A big bite of the pizza fills your mouth with an inferno of spices, salved somehwat by juicy cuts of seared buffalo and pieces of goat cheese, all brushed with lemon juice. The spices continue to smoulder long after you are finished.
    MoireanAldric
    I would love if we could have longer messages or even multiple ones like during the iron epicurean.
    Multiples would be a nice option, though I gotta say, your writing's lovely. The concise version is powerful and simple and makes the longer one seem almost needlessly wordy at points. I think you found a really eloquent solution to the challenge of character limitations.
  • I really loathe the brief descriptions, because they contain only traces of what is actually trying to be expressed. To me, the brief description just looks like I couldn't be bothered to actually describe it.
    I'm like 90% sure we used to be able to make them much longer. Same with drinking.
  • I catch some flack for this from some crafters who outright refuse to approve my designs without them, but I totally eschew using eaten messages altogether unless it's for like a funny/gag food.

I'd much rather offer people the opportunity to see 'You eat X' and emote out a thing describing how they ate it than force action upon them that way. Maybe they don't eat their spaghetti one strand at a time by deliciously twirling their fork through the noodles. Maybe they lift that unicorns up and go head-first into it. Who am I to judge?

Taste/smell? Absolutely. I'm not telling you what your character is doing, I'm telling you how the dish is supposed to smell/taste. Eaten? Not so much.

I generally feel the same about worn/removed items too, but maybe that's just me.
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
    ArekaErzsebetPeriluna
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Yeah, don't forget that you have the Taste/Smell lines to add in some extra "flavor" to your cooking. That along with the Eaten should at least give you something extra. I always use Taste/Smell because it's nice to just emote out the eating part during some RP. Using EAT just makes it end too fast for a whole RP dinner.

Right, but your preference to not include those and her preference to include long ones can co-exist perfectly fine. I don't see why that's a reason to shoot down her request.
  • The eaten 3p is the message shown to people watching you eat. If you'd prefer to leave that blank in favour of emoting every meal, it isn't mutually exclusive to have a more detailed eaten 1p, to give you the important information about the food you are consuming. In fact, having a more detailed eaten 1p will inform your emoting and allow you to adapt the object to an emote more quickly, and will not affect how you appear to other people.

Extending the eaten 3p does not break away from existing design policy or convention (especially regarding actions and reactions in eating), so providing more characters or multiple lines does not mean designers will start forcing you to perform actions or feel emotions (because that is still against policy), it means that designers will be better able to express the content of the food, in a way that isn't terse and plain.
  • Moirean said:

Right, but your preference to not include those and her preference to include long ones can co-exist perfectly fine. I don't see why that's a reason to shoot down her request.

Erk, I apologize @Vhummim if you read that at all as me shooting down your idea, I certainly didn't mean for it to read that way. Was just kinda commenting on the whole issue of the messages since it seems you're in trouble one way if you try for too long of messages, and in trouble the other way if you don't use them at all.

I wholeheartedly agree that the messages could be lengthened. It certainly does no harm whatsoever to have longer messages for eaten, or taste/smell etc.
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
    Moirean
  • Oh, no, I didn't read it that way @Aldric . I just took your response and addressed it in my own to assure you that any change wouldn't prevent you from doing that (and it does sound like a fun way to approach food!), and so that the change I'd like to see doesn't come across as radical or damaging to the existing conventions and community.
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Seeing as I am not into cooking in the game, I am not familiar with the restrictions on the Taste/Smell, but I think that's what you're looking for there, @Vhummim , to give the person eating the dish the full experience of flavors. I'd say that is the message you want to make longer if there are similar restrictions to it as Eaten 1p.

And to clarify, I'm not saying no to lengthening the message for the Eaten 1p as well.

• Taste/Smell, in my mind, are samples of the flavours and aromas included in the dish, that you would use as samples before consuming the meal.

If they were intended to carry the majority of the descriptive content for food interactions, you could eat, say, a cake, and recieve no indication at all as to whether it was sweet, whether it was spoiled, burned, rich, light, or made of Lego - you would not recieve that information unless you had checked what it was like in advance. The eaten field would be obsolete, and eaten 1p and eaten 3p could simply be replaced with a uniform 'You eat Y/You see X eat Y'.
    Aldric
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    Personally, I tend to leave it up to people having read the examined/taste/smell. My own eaten/etc messages are usually little more than Person eats thing, with maybe a brief taste reference. Think forcing it to be eaten a specific way is bad, personally.

That said, don't know that extending the limit would be bad, though I don't really think it's necessary either. Think the biggest issue with such things is that it'd be excessivley spammy to receive a wall-of-text for every single one of the ten+ casseroles you have to eat to go from starving to satiated.

Ultimately though, while we can debate its merits here, it isn't actually our call to make. Would suggest maybe messaging Becue with the idea to make sure she sees it--not sure how often she stalks this thread.

imageimage
    Think the queue goes too slow if Areka and I aren't paying attention. Especially the talents. Think it might go quicker if buying one talent got you access to all of the things in the talent queue? Or buying a major (one of the ones with boons) tradeskill got you access? Something. These things sit in queue absolutely untouched for days if 1) Areka or I aren't paying attention or 2) It belongs to one of us and the other isn't paying atttention.
    imageimage
    REKA PLAY GUITAR.

Erzsebet
    But on a serious/applicable note, any chance 'onuniform' could be added as a wear location for medals/insignia/badges/whathaveyou? So I can wear my fancy Templar bling with my uniform item.
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    edited March 2015
    Areka said:

But on a serious/applicable note, any chance 'onuniform' could be added as a wear location for medals/insignia/badges/whathaveyou? So I can wear my fancy Templar bling with my uniform item.

Is a bit late here, but anyways, after reading this post I zoned off for a few minutes thinking about the implications of changing the nouns of all jewelcrafting designs to 'bling' and just making the other item types different sorts of references.

It was a thoughtful moment.
    Areka is here, her uniform bedecked in mad, golden cred.
  • Personally, and it might be more on the extreme end, but I don't really think there'd be any issue with allowing anybody with at least one tradeskill to view the entire queue as-is. Crafting rules are pretty uniform across tradeskills/talents, and the only thing you'd see different would be eaten/sip messages vs worn/removed. While these might be contextually different, the basic rules that govern what's allowed in each are fairly similar and straightforward.

Does this open up the possibility for increased ask-a-friend-to-approve scenarios? Sure, but that's pretty easy already. More people able to approve things in the queue, regardless of tradeskill it falls under, would if anything mean plenty more potential approvers which is quite worth it, imo.
    IshinErzsebet
  • A customizable card. It'd show up as card### , so you could do 'An ace of spades', or 'A forging advertisement' or whatever. The short desc would be flexible to allow for you to use it for lots of small little RP things.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

KendriIshin
    Would be super awesome/helpful if we (crafters) could get told when there are new components in the world, even if they're private and/or not available to everyone, along with what their descs/properties/etc are, because they inevitably crop up in the crafting queue--is usually their purpose even, to be used for such things. But when they do, those of us who approve have no idea what the item in question is, or what's viable for it to be used for. At least partially ran into this problem when I first started crafting with my vedadrite, but I never tried to use it for forging or anything because it isn't viable for that and -I- know it. With other stuff though, that may or may not be true, so it's different in that regard. Though I also know a lot of people will pointblank not look at things if they have no idea what the material used to make it -is-, and since these things often can't be googled, because we've renamed this or that from the real world, being informed of such things would be super helpful and help speed along crafting queue approvals.
    imageimage
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I kinda wish there was more mechanisms for encouraging "public" or "city" designs to be more of a thing. I'd probably take on a trade or two if I could mooch off some public designs.
    I would transfer / open up more of mine if a) I wouldn't be at risk of losing them (unless DESIGN ALLOW (thing) has been fixed/changed and others with access can't yoink/delete?), and b) if it marked as mine and if the transferred org decided to delete it, instead it'd be automatically returned to me.
    ErzsebetPeriluna
    I'd allow more of mine if NEWD ALLOW ALL VE'KAHI (or whateverorg was a thing).
    imageimage