The Dark Heart of Winter

TeaniTeani Shadow MistressSweden
First I want to offer a huge thank you to Ictinus and Razmael for creating this amazing-looking cool new race. You have done an amazing job keeping to the theme of the city of Spinesreach and making a race that all three Spirean guilds would be proud of: the Glacian.

Now on to how this happened. I have edited out a few bugs and misunderstandings from the actual log to keep it smooth. Enjoy! I know I did, even though my brain was half dead after a week's worth of work after 8 weeks of vacation time.

-------------------------------------------
(Spinesreach): Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "While you are all busy with field work, I'll be making a short expedition of my own. If you can't find me, don't worry too much!"

(Spinesreach): Feirenz says, "I'M WORRYING."
(Spinesreach): Lenoriel says, "I am also worrying."
(Spinesreach): Lenoriel says, "... Can I get some bulbs before you go?"

(Tells): Litrix, a Xorali scientist tells you, "Uh. Ma'am?"
(Tells): Litrix, a Xorali scientist tells you, "You're a Sciomancer of some renown, yes?"

(Tells): You tell Litrix, a Xorali scientist, "I am, yes."
(Tells): You tell Litrix, a Xorali scientist, "Is there something I can help you with on your expedition?"

(Tells): Litrix, a Xorali scientist tells you, "I've ventured up to the Southern Tundra as part of a research project I've been working on for the city. I seem to have stumbled on something, uh, strange."

(Tells): Litrix, a Xorali scientist tells you, "I'm at v15861, could I borrow you to take a look?"

Low hill amid the tundra
Much of the heavens are blotted out by clouds, the dawn sun struggling to break through. The top of this hill overlooks much of the tundra to the north, the south being blocked from sight by a higher hill that stands in that direction. The endless frozen fields of the tundra stretch out as far as can be seen, stopped only by the great mountains that can be seen to the far north. Dripping black ichor, a heaping skeleton of bone creates a construct from the earth here. With an air of superiority surrounding him, Litrix, a Xorali scientist, stands nearby.

Litrix, a Xorali scientist offers you a brisk, but polite greeting, before gesturing northwards. "The rot is creeping in, and seems to have disturbed one of the drifts."

Litrix, a Xorali scientist points downwards now, and he wears a wary frown. "Theres... something down there."

Teani comes up the low hill, nodding at Litrix, a Xorali scientist, pausing as she draws near. With a small frown, she looks in the direction the scientist is pointing.

Litrix, a Xorali scientist chews his lip, forked tongue wetting his mouth. "Some sort of facility. There's a body, and. Well, maybe you'd better come take a look?"

Teani thinks:
"Looks strange indeed." The thought is accompanied by a sense of curiosity.

"It didn't looks like this last time I passed through here," Teani notes, then nods her head. "Of course." She begins moving, then stops. "Best be careful if you plan on following," she cautions.

Beneath the tundra
There are 3 enraged ice wraiths here.
An enraged ice wraith snarls angrily at you and moves in for the kill.

Tail flicking impatiently behind him, a tall Xorali scientist strides in from the up.

An enraged ice wraith turns its ire on you, loosing a haunting wail imbued with agony and unfathomable rage.
An enraged ice wraith turns its ire on you, loosing a haunting wail imbued with agony and unfathomable rage.

[a few more attacks]

You have been slain by an enraged ice wraith.
[because the idiot that I am came completely unprepared to fight right away]

[After the return]

(Tells): Litrix, a Xorali scientist tells you, "I've managed to electrocute two of them, but there's still one here. I'm terribly sorry for not warning you properly!"

(Tells): You tell Litrix, a Xorali scientist, "No worries. If anything, I am quite familiar with the mirror. Just thankful for another chance."

Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "Another, down from us."

Teani rolls her eyes at her own unpreparedness. "I should have come better prepared the first time around," she says with a wry smile, raising her staff as she heads down.

[kill ice wraith]

Before a massive arch
A shadowy haze absorbs light here, emanating through and around a singularity. The narrow tunnel comes to an end in the middle of a dim platform of unadorned steel. Cloaked in frigid shadow, thewalls and floor bear the tell-tale marks of furious weather, their surfaces pitted, and scarred, and coated with frost, while the smashed remnants of light globes and hail litter the floor. The only feature of notice is the massive arch spanning the southern wall from floor to the intimation of the ceiling far above. Constructed in every respect from the same material as the rest of the place, the borders between the arch and the walls are flanked by sprawls of cable and flashing circuitry connected to the great venantium gate barring access within. The mutilated face of a corpse is barely visible against the tundral environment, its entire body encased in a heavy sheet of glacial ice. Caked in ice, an arch-shaped doorway blocks passage inwards.

Spending a moment to check for other wraiths, Litrix, a Xorali scientist finally gestures at a massive arch-like door and a frozen, mutilated corpse. "There's something beyond here, but the door won't budge. Needs some sort of technique."

Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "I had thought perhaps you could use some shadow to delve the corpse. Maybe its memory will reveal something?"

Teani looks about the new place, frowning at the sight of the arch. "This looks frightfully familiar," she notes, then turns to Litrix, a Xorali scientist. "You touched it?" She asks, but then nods, approaches the corpse of the slain creature.

It is impossible to discern who this once was; any prominent features have either been mutilated by the unknown or stolen by the harsh ice of the tundra. Frostbite litters various limbs beneath the matte surface of the glacial block the body is encased in, the black flesh near impossible to miss against the white of the snowy surroundings.

Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "I, uh, well, I didn't touch it per se."
Litrix, a Xorali scientist just thought:
Not more than once.

You direct a thin sliver of shadow into a frozen, mutilated corpse, delving for surface memories.

-- Hazy memories bubble to the surface, lingering impressions left behind at the moment of death.
-- Desperate pounding at the door. Screaming until hoarse. Frozen tears. Cold. So cold.

-- Time shifts backwards some moments. Their attempts are slow, but methodical. They read aloud. "Push once for Conclaves. Every other turn. Pull ten."

-- Time shifts back further, mere moments. A slender figure stares blankly at the door, consulting a note which reads only "Y-5".
-- The memory fades to nothing.

Litrix, a Xorali scientist's golden eyes widen in curiosity as he regards you.

Teani closes her eyes as she focuses on the memories she has drawn out of the body. "Pushing, turning, pulling..." She mumbles softly, then the furrows between her brows deepen some. "Y-5? Does that tell you anything?" She asks aloud.

The door
Consisting of an intricate pattern of pulleys, levers, and other mechanisms concealed behind the metal, this massive arch fits perfectly into the space which it inhabits. Icy cold forms a patina of slick rime across its surfaces. A single handle at the centre joins to rings of concentric patterns along the outside.

Litrix, a Xorali scientist's frown deepens. "Y-5? No idea." He turns those eyes back on the door now and leans in further to examine it more closely. "A certain order of operations, perhaps? There appear to be things to manipulate on the door. A push, a turn. Did you see anything else?"

It is now dawn on Tisday, the 16th of Chakros, year 504 of the Midnight Age.

"Pull once for Conclaves. There were five of those, so that might be why the number," Teani says, pursing her lips. "Then every other turn. Pull ten." With a small shrug, she wraps fingers around handle.

Litrix, a Xorali scientist's tongue flicks out again while he thinks, rocking back and forth on the balls of his clawed feet. "Mm. Well, that could mean pull five times, turn once, and pull ten times?" His head tilts to the side. "Or, I suppose, pull once and turn in between?"

You throw your weight against a massive arch-like door and push, dislodging one of the rings which spins several times before stopping.

"That did... something!" Litrix, a Xorali scientist offers unhelpfully.

Teani narrows her eyes at the door, muttering something under her breath. "So, push once for Conclaves, then every other turn, pull ten," she repeats to herself, making a move to try and turn the handle.

You carefully manipulate one of a massive arch-like door's many rings, eliciting a soft 'click'.

Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "Mm."

Teani nods her head slowly. "Very slowly getting there," she mutters, continuing following the sketchy memories.

You throw your weight against a massive arch-like door and push, dislodging one of the rings which spins several times before stopping.

Push once for Conclaves. Once only, or once each? And every other turn. Push then turn? Push, push turn? No, the turning worked.

You carefully manipulate one of a massive arch-like door's many rings, eliciting a soft 'click'.

"Alright, so it seems I should continue through the conclaves, then end with pulling," Teani notes to Litrix, a Xorali scientist with a small nod. "I was worried I did something wrong with the second push, but it seems to be working."

Litrix, a Xorali scientist stands back to allow you to work, but his eyes never leave the doorway.

Teani pauses after pushing and turning once for every one of the Conclaves, adjusting her fingers on the handle before giving it a small tug.

Grasping at the handle protruding from a massive arch-like door, you pull firmly, and the aligned mechanisms stir into motion, the door opening to reveal the passage beyond.

Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "Aha!"

Teani thinks:
"This could be bad. Best be prepared for what comes beyond."

Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "Careful, there may be more wraiths."

You think for a moment before nodding slowly.

[more pulling]

A blast of icy mist pours in from the newly revealed chamber.

Litrix, a Xorali scientist begins to follow you.
Cautiously, Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "After you."

Teani pulls the door wide open, to make sure there is a clear route to escape, then readies herself just as the blast of mist comes in through the opening. "Definitely a new thing," she says, nodding as the scientist moves behind her.

What the Pit does Y-5 mean though?

Ice-slicked descent
A shadowy haze absorbs light here, emanating through and around a singularity. The steel-clad corridor beyond is as huge as the archway itself, the vaulted ceiling a scarcely visible thing in the almost dark. The floor dips immediately into a steep-slopped descent, with only a few surviving light globes to warn of the innumerable steps rife with chunks of hail and frost. A mournful breeze finds its way in between the battered plates of the station, chilling body and mind as it whispers its eerie melody to all those negotiating their way down.

Before a set of venantium doors
A shadowy haze absorbs light here, emanating through and around a singularity. Little in this vast hall breaks the monotony of frost-touched steel, save the doors themselves. Like the archway before it, these are made imposing by their sheer weight and heft more so than by any adornment, of which they possess little. Flanked by the tell-tale signs of ancient ankyrean technology, each of them is crowded by a great deal of circuitry and obscure machinery, their constant soft, whirring hum embattled with the whining chimes of the encroaching wind. The angular face of a dead Ankyrean is stretched into an expression of pure, visceral horror and his entire body is preserved in a splaying sheet of glistening ice against the wall.

[killed ice wraith]

the ankyrean corpse
Paper-thin, ashen skin stretches over the preserved face of this dead, Ankyrean man. One of his pointed ears has been torn off, however the innate horror that has forever claimed his features bespeaks of a deeper terror than pain alone. His eyes are suspended in a state of bulging that almost leaves them falling from his skull and his thin lips are parted in what can only be assumed as his last, gasping breath. Beneath the glimmering ice that the rest of his body has been swallowed by, one can discern simple white robes with precious metal decorating the seams of the once pristine coat. Over the breast pocket is a small badge engraved with kalsu runes, presumably his identification. Interestingly, hooked over the one intact ear is a small earpiece. The metal it is made of is unknown, however it is comprised of three parts; a delicate spiral that hooks through the helix, a small hoop through the lobe and an intricate claw through the tragus. The three separate pieces are linked together by a fine chain.

Litrix, a Xorali scientist crouches low to examine a frozen Ankyrean corpse.

Teani approaches the corpse on the ground, frowning. "This place is truly ancient, if it houses a corpse of one of these," she says softly.

Excitedly, Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "I wonder how many more of these little bunkers are buried in the snow that we don't even know exist?"

Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "The Ankyreans never cease to amaze!"

Litrix, a Xorali scientist gestures at the corpse's head. "Do you see that? There's a device of some sort that it's wearing."

Teani nods in agreement. "Maybe the tundra is full of chambers. There could be a lot of things to collect for the Archivists down here." Looking more closely, she reaches out to touch the earpiece. "Beautifully made. I wonder if that can be useful in some way."

"Certainly an interesting design. I wonder if you can clear some of the ice so we can examine it?" Litrix, a Xorali scientist asks, his eyes fixated on the deceased Ankyrean with no attempt to hide his excitement.

Reaching out with your senses, you feel the icy cold shrouding a frozen Ankyrean corpse and begin to concentrate on directing a thin tendril of ambient shadow to eat away the frost.

Exerting fine control over the shadow, you direct it to devour the remnant ice from a frozen Ankyrean corpse.

Teani takes a deep breath and focuses on her knowledge. With hands outstretched, she releases her breath in one long, fluid sigh as she tends to the layer of ice coating the body.

What remained of the ice now melts away, devoured by expert manipulation of shadow. A strange earpiece falls from the corpse, landing on the ground with a faint click.

Litrix, a Xorali scientist blinks vacantly, staring at nothing in particular.

Teani moves over and picks up the small piece that fell to the ground, examining it thoroughly.

An unknown earpiece vibrates in your hands as you liberate it from the corpse, the nearby doors rumbling loudly as they swing open with a hiss of icy smoke.

Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "Fascinating! It must be reacting to the shadow somehow?"

Teani as the door swings open, she blinks and instinctively moves to stand in front of the scientist.

Frowning, Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "More wraiths? Oh no."

Frozen passage
A shadowy haze absorbs light here, emanating through and around a singularity. A deathly cold pervades upon this corridor, the few functioning light globes remaining along the ceiling painting a frigid scene. Icy coils of mist twist and turn about the length of the frozen floor, the steel utterly encased beneath a thick layer of ice. Though much narrower than the preceding descent, the opposite end of the passage opens onto a large, vaulted crossroads. Suspended in time, a torn, bleached piece of parchment lies on the ground in a sheet of ice.

You read what is written on a piece of torn parchment:
Catastrophic fa..
Preliminary invest........
Unsure how to proceed beyond pu...
Freeze.

"Ha!" Litrix, a Xorali scientist exclaims as you easily defeat the ice wraith, turning now to examine the parchment on the ground. "Catastrophic failure? That... well that doesn't sound good at all. What is this place?"

After reading the parchment, Teani shoots it a wry smile. "Seems like a dangerous place, but very interesting, wouldn't you agree?" With that, she prepares to move on. "Failure or not, they likely made it a bit further inside than this."

Observational Antechamber
A shadowy haze absorbs light here, emanating through and around a singularity. Strong, silvery light illuminates the large, sterile spaces of this quadrilateral chamber, broken only by the erstwhile elegant mass of a now-blackened science station. Peculiar glass doors adorned three of the four walls, two of them set besides great glass panes, allowing easy observance of the adjacent rooms. These doors, like the station itself, lie ajar in disrepair, as do a number of globes, upturned furniture and scattered sheafs of parchment. A steady cold chills the chamber, and the floor is slick with rimes of frost. One half of the science station here has been destroyed, the blackened edges suggesting an explosion or something even more sinister. Occupying the northwestern wall, a massive metal door stands sentinel. A dim reflection bounces off of the surface of a strange plaque anchored to the wall here.

This door
Burnished metal of an unknown origin shapes this door, seemingly forged to fit perfectly into the space which it inhabits without visible seam or crack of any kind. One enormous handle at the centre is surrounded by a series of dials, each a full spool of the alphabet connecting to myriad mechanisms concealed beneath.

Still musing over the parchment's contents, Litrix, a Xorali scientist regards the massive door with yet another deep frown. "A password, then?" He suggests.

Teani approaches the door. "Ah, 5-Y is finally making sense," she says as she moves closer, looking at the intricate mechanism.

You read what is written on a blank plaque of unknown metal:
Here lie three and six, the third of yours and first of many.
Doubled is a child's moniker, last of them.
The principal of answers is oft the last one heard.
Second is the twin, the first of middle third.

Litrix, a Xorali scientist tilts his head in thought. "Oh, so that's only..." He pauses. "Around three hundred million combinations."

Teani nods at Litrix, a Xorali scientist, then peers to the northeast and southwest. "Likely more clues to be found around here, I think. The riddle is a tricky one, to say the least," she gestures at the plaque.

Stasis
A shadowy haze absorbs light here, emanating through and around a singularity. A cross in configuration between medical bay and clinical museum, this peculiar facility is primarily occupied by an arrangement of bell jars mounted upon marble daises. Ranging in size from the humanoid, to the mammal, and finally the insectile, the jars, though made of some manner of crystalline material, are too laden with frost and ice to allow close perusal of their contents. Nonetheless, a soft, thrumming burbling emanates at rhythmical intervals from their depths, each capacious container connected to stacks of nearby, chiming machinery. Close by, a few sterile bunks lie in wait of need, the bedsheets upon frighteningly thing against the impressive cold. Dull runes occasionally flicker on the face of a piece of a tablet on the ground.

Litrix, a Xorali scientist nods slowly. "I assume it was designed to be solved, at least. In the event of extinction or some such. Nobody left alive who knew to get in, and so on."

You say, "Best clear the area before searching through it all."

Archive
A shadowy haze absorbs light here, emanating through and around a singularity. About half the span of the preceding chamber in both height and length, the archives are crowded where the observational room is spacious. Rows upon rows of looming shelves line the majority of the otherwise sparse walls, every document therein marked with a scrawl of runes of uncertain meaning. What little space is not taken by book or scroll or shelf is given instead to a large, flat screen whereupon unfamiliar relics are sporadically displayed, each accompanied by a runic inscription beneath. A crossword puzzle has been carelessly left behind here.

Litrix, a Xorali scientist spares a minute to glance over the crossword puzzle. "Are you any good at these?" He asks.

"I haven't done many, at all really, but it shouldn't be too difficult, I hope," Teani says, not sounding completely confident, but definitely interested and curious.

Looking to the northeast, Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "While you work at this, I'm going back to look at that stasis chamber. Something feels off to me."

You nod your head at Litrix, a Xorali scientist.

Unconvincingly, Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "Let me know if you need help!"

With an unimpressed flick of his tail, a tall Xorali scientist takes his leave towards the northeast.

Tail flicking impatiently behind him, a tall Xorali scientist strides in from the northeast.

Scowling, Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "Definitely something not right with the shadow over there. But we can come back to it."

Litrix, a Xorali scientist casts his eyes down on the crossword again. "Vacant, maybe, for three down?"

You say, "Gallant for brave?"

Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "Very possible. Hmm."

Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "I wonder if there is a theme of some kind."

Conceited? Smug? Vain? Like some of his colleagues...

Teani hums slightly as she ponders this. "Vain might work, but how would that fit with a theme, I wonder."

Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "I am hoping we gain one of the letters to the password from this. As to how, I do not know."

Essential, crucial. Five words. Important is too long. Needed too long. Key, too short.

Ah, five letters. His brain hurts from the cold.

You say, "Maybe noisy is wrong?"

Teani thinks:
Vital feels like it could fit.

Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "Perhaps vocal? If the v theme is to continue?"

You give a trillingly melodic laugh.

Though, does that make gallant the odd one out? Or is that the answer?

You say, "Of course!"

You say, "Valiant."

A look of dawning comprehension appears on Litrix, a Xorali scientist's face. "Brilliant."

You crease your brow in a frown.

Brightly, Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "Last one! Though I think we have our answer."

You say, "Seven words, though. Were there 7 different settings?"

"Six, I think." Litrix, a Xorali scientist responds coolly.

You say, "Right, but seven words, so even if we have the setting for the letter, we don't have one for the number if they go together."

Litrix, a Xorali scientist nods slowly. "A fair point. Perhaps we can eliminate the other positions in the process?"

You nod your head emphatically.
You say, "Let's head to the other chamber."

[Moving to Stasis.]

Litrix, a Xorali scientist gestures about, his motions slow as if meeting some invisible resistance. "The shadow here is thick."

Extending your will outwards, you bring to bear all of your control, leeching some of the lingering shadow from the surroundings into yourself.

Extending your will outwards, you bring to bear all of your control, leeching some of the lingering shadow from the surroundings into yourself.
You detect 6 traces of excess shadow remaining in you.

As the last of the excess shadow is drawn away, light returns to bathe the surroundings in a new glow.

The excess shadow reaches a dangerous level, seeping past your iron will and into the
recesses of your mind with maddening intensity.
You are afflicted with masochism agoraphobia claustrophobia dizziness shyness epilepsy confusion hypochondria lethargy vertigo loneliness laxity faintness.
You are afflicted with indifference.Your clarity of mind has been corrupted stripped.

You suddenly feel incredibly faint as the world fades into black.

You shiver and sweat in panic as the world warps overwhelmingly around you.

Manifesting a fraction of your iron will, you purge the excess shadow from yourself.

Litrix, a Xorali scientist looks on in horror as the shadow attempts to devour your mind. "Careful!" He yells.

Litrix, a Xorali scientist steps closer to you. "Are you all right?"

Teani staggers backwards, shaking her head as if clearing it. With great effort, she focuses on regaining her senses, taking hold of the wall next to her to steady herself. "Fine," she mumbles. "I'm fine." It takes a few moments longer, but eventually her voice sounds more steady, more confident as the same words are echoed once more. "I'm fine. Just got a bit ahead of myself."

New text appeared:
My squaree and my doublee aree thee samee as mee.

Litrix, a Xorali scientist takes your words at face value, but does not appear to be convinced. Dropping the subject, he instead gestures around at the writing that has appeared on the walls. "Another riddle." He says with a vague air of frustration. "Any thoughts?"

Teani blinks a few times, then says, "2-E?" She quesses.

"Logical." Litrix, a Xorali scientist concurs. "But why the double up? Is 4-E as well perhaps?"

Comprehension flashes across your face.

You say, "Of course."

If two is E, the square is four, and so is the double. Logical. But why not just write the damn password somewhere if they wanted people to get in?!

Litrix, a Xorali scientist asks, "What do we have, now? 1-?, 2-E, 3-?, 4-E, 5-Y, 6-??"

You say, "Right, and one of the numbers we don't have is the one with v."

It is probably Kalsu. Ugh. Something tickles the back of his mind.

Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "Shall we look at the plaque?"

You read what is written on a blank plaque of unknown metal:
Here lie three and six, the third of yours and first of many.
Doubled is a child's moniker, last of them.
The principal of answers is oft the last one heard.
Second is the twin, the first of middle third.

Litrix, a Xorali scientist jabs a clawed hand at the plaque. "This would suggest three and six are here. And that V is 1?"

"It sounds reasonable," Teani says with a nod. "Ve-ey-?"

That tickle stirs something in his mind again, but he cannot place it.

Teani frowns and lets out a curse. "I wish I had pushed Rhyot to teach me more Kalsu," she says, staring at the riddle on the plaque. "I know of no words that have this constellation of letters."

Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "I suppose we have the means available to unravel it without knowing the word. If we can solve the damnable riddle."

First of many. First of middle.

Principal - first? Or no?

You say, "Child's moniker. Babe?"

Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "Possible. Double B would make it V-E-B-E-Y-B."

You say, "That sounds very strange."

Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "First of many what!"

Litrix, a Xorali scientist kicks the plaque in annoyance.

"I don't even know where to start with those," Teani says with a frown. "Brain puzzles based on logic I get, but word riddles in general have never quite been my forte."

Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "I suppose we could take it literally. The first of many, and the first of middle, are "M"."

Teani thinks
But how is that the third of yours?

Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "Where does it say the third of yours?"
Litrix, a Xorali scientist creases his brow in a frown.
Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "I don't see a section that says third of yours. The first line, for me, says, 'none of yours'"

You say, "Here lie three and six, the third of yours and first of many."

Litrix, a Xorali scientist shakes his head. "Here lie three and six, none of yours but first of many."
Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "Are we seeing something different?"
Litrix, a Xorali scientist's frown somehow deepens even further.

You have emoted: Teani frowns and nods her head. "We are. For me it says third of yours, not none."

Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "Third of your what, though? None of mine..."

Names? Surely not.

You say, "A. Third of mine would be an A, and you don't have one in your name."

Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "OH!"

You say, "Can the plaque really sense that, though?"

Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "The second line might be 'mama' then?"

Litrix, a Xorali scientist offers a look of deep suspicion to the plaque. "I suspect we will never know exactly what all they were capable of."

Too many lost secrets, including this one.

You say, "Would that make it veaeya, then?"

Litrix, a Xorali scientist snaps his fingers as realisation dawns. "No. That's where the M comes from, see? VEMEYA. Freeze."

Litrix, a Xorali scientist gives the plaque another vigorous kick for good measure.

You say, "Ah, of course, the second doubled in the moniker."

Litrix, a Xorali scientist trains his eyes on the door now. "Give it a try!" He enthuses.

[Turning things into position]

You peer at a massive metal doorway suspiciously.

You attempt to push a massive metal doorway open and the mechanisms all align in place with a gentle, satisfying 'click'. Amidst the whirring of machinery deep within the laboratory, the door swings open to reveal a chamber beyond.

You grumble angrily.

You squint your eyes and look out toward the northwest.
Cryotheory.
A shadowy haze absorbs light here, emanating through and around a singularity. A white marble base suspends a crystalline pod, the freezing temperature leaving the glass matte.

"Looks dark, and cold in there," Teani comments, stretching a bit before moving inside. "As if everything else around here has been warm and bright like a hearth."

Litrix, a Xorali scientist shifts restlessly on the balls of his feet. "You did it!" He exclaims.

The pod
A thick marble arm extends away from the white base of this strange pod. On first glance, it's reminisce of a coffin in design however the large vessel suspended above the alabaster base is a crystalline oblong chamber. The glass capsule is sealed and the glacial temperature of the lab leaves the rounded surface of the pod matte.

You feel inexplicably compelled to touch the pod.

Teani glances about herself quickly upon entering, watching for any movement. When she doesn't see any, her eyes settle on the strange pod in the center. Hesitantly, she walks over and places a hand against it.

As your hand brushes against an unusual pod, the ancient, dormant mechanisms whir to life, enlivened by something in your touch. Ambient shadow writhes in a pall of animate darkness to encircle you in its clutches, even as the jaws of the aged machinery yawn open. You are cold. So very cold. Night and frost conspire; jets of icy steam frothing effervescent from vents in the ceiling and walls. Barely a moment passes until your body is no longer your own; your mind slows, clinging to consciousness only by sheer will alone.

"Wait!" Litrix, a Xorali scientist calls out but it is too late.

Oh no.

Litrix, a Xorali scientist comes nearer to you but the look of fear in his eyes shows that it is with great effort. A bolt of static streaks from his raised conduit to strike at the sheet of ice now encasing you in its grip, but it achieves nothing, the thick layer utterly unharmed.

Teani tries to work her mouth in warning, shifting eyes to make Litrix, a Xorali scientist back away. "Don't. come. closer," she hisses.

Battling through the bone-chilling ice holding you in place, you exert a monumental effort and draw forth a single strand of animate darkness, willing it to eat away your glacial prison.

Your concentration falters and the icy prison binding you re-asserts itself, errant shadow striking at your will.

Battling through the bone-chilling ice holding you in place, you exert a monumental effort and draw forth a single strand of animate darkness, willing it to eat away your glacial prison.

Exerting fine control over the shadow, you direct it to devour part of the ice
encasing you.

Litrix, a Xorali scientist chooses to heed your advice, stepping back from the glacial prison with a look of horror. "Should I call help?" He begins, before the tendrils of shadow under your command begin to eat away at the ice.

Teani shifts her attention around her body, asserting control and directing the shadows as best as she can to free herself from the ice. "No need," she says, but the sound of her voice is strained from the efforts of working as quickly as possible to prevent her body from suffering overly much due to the icy cold.

With a struggle, you call upon your willpower reserves to serve you, however the effort leaves you dizzy and suddenly weak. Your eyes quickly grow unfocused and the dimming of light precedes you as you crash heavily to the ground.

You regain consciousness with a start.

The darkness greedily consumes what remains of the ice, and the glacial bindings melt to residual droplets, setting its captive free from gelid stasis. You feel slightly strange, weightless, yet burdened.

Freedom comes, but it is at a price. Bone-chilling cold gnaws at your heart, your lungs, and your extremities. Blood freezes in its tracks, the ruthless bite of winter stilling your vital systems to a painful, agonising crawl.

Frozen in place, Litrix, a Xorali scientist stares at you, aghast.

The cold is not alone.

Darkness writhes into place, in and around the arcane machinery, twin magics colliding in transmorphic union.

A coating of frozen rime shields the Ankyrean device from harm, but the rabid darkness soon swallows it, the two co-mingling into something entirely other.

The device whirrs away beside you, and, despite your freedom from its frozen clutches, you remain the object of its fixation.

Helicals of black ice, bitter cold shards infused with gloaming shadow, wash over you, and your thoughts scatter.

The dark heart of winter stirs within you; all notions of cold or pain numb to a muted stillness. Thoughts drift with the vastness of the open tundra, rolling dunes of powder snow and mountainous frost observed through the critical analysis of your own keen eye.

Black and white entwine in and through your body, the conjoined energies of winternight breathing fresh life into your ice-touched form.

Flurrying fractals infuse you, trailing eddies of ambient shadow drawn along in the avalanche-like cascade of metamorphosis until, as you exhale an icy breath, the machines fall still, the technology grows silent, and you rise, a manifestation of winter's dark heart.

Experience Gained: 15879 (Bashing) [total: 294718745] - LEFT: 139234333 mill
You have gained the glacian_form defence.
New skillset unlocked: Glacian.
[Milestones]: You have completed credit milestone #59: Obtain a new fame line!

Amid the haunting clamour of a tundral gale, icy winds rage in protest of Teeh Stormwill's ascension, as she bends the dark heart of winter to a Glacian's freezing command.

Litrix, a Xorali scientist takes a cautious step closer to you. "Are you okay?" His voice is quiet, careful, worried.

Hands to the side of her head, Teeh struggles with the massive changes washing over her. There is one small, stumbling step forward, but then she gathers herself, instead holding her hands out in front of herself, looking at them in amazement. "I... I don't know. I feel alright," she says. It takes some effort to tear her eyes away from her hands to Litrix, a Xorali scientist, and only then she notices the cold mist coming from her own breath. "It's not cold anymore."

"Speak for yourself." Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, some of his humour returning. He inches closer, shivering beside you, and performs an examination, careful not to make contact with your frozen form. "Fascinating. Incredible." He blinks several times in succession. "And, possibly... replicable, under the right circumstances."

So cold. I do not know how she bears it.

Abruptly, Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "I think the city is worried for you."

Teeh swallows hard, but her lips twitch up at the words, and her eyes sparkle brightly. "Do I look as different as I feel I do?" She twists an arm around to look at it, then raises a hand to brush at her hair, noting the icicles rising from her forehead. Blinking, she pulls back and then frowns. "Maybe we should go someplace a bit warmer? You should bring some people back here to investigate. I bet the Archivists would love to have a look around," she says, a note of concern in her voice.

Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "You look... very different. Dark and frozen. Like winter night."

Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "It's quite something!"

"Suitable, considering where I live," Teeh says with a wry grin. "Let's ease the minds of the citizens, shall we?"

Litrix, a Xorali scientist nods agreeably. "As for visits, I'm going to put up some wards for now, to keep this shut off. But I'll organise an expedition once there's time."

You say, "Do you need help with that? I don't mind the cold, but you look like you could use a hot meal and a good fire."

Litrix, a Xorali scientist shakes his head. "You head back, show them you're still alive and... well. Different. I'll be there in a jiffy."

Teeh nods her head and smiles. "Don't die from frostbite, alright?"

Litrix, a Xorali scientist says, "Got it!"

LegyncinnamaeRheskValorieEleneGalileiAlmol