The month of March 2013

RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal
April Fools!

As most of you had guessed, our big reveal about classes on April 1st was, indeed, a joke! To be honest, the retextured classes on each side of the game concept is something we had seriously considered in the past, and might be something we look into in the (far) future if there is enough support for it. That said, several of the classes in that list are thematically based on actual revamp concepts. Which ones, you ask? I might let this secret drag on a little longer yet...

Based on forum feedback and chatter, I can tell many people are impatient for the lycanthrope changes. We are working on our event to tie into the changes, involving the return of certain invaders from across the sea. But I am sorry to say that you'll have to be a little bit patient yet! There are several things happening at once that will tie-in with the release, beyond the scope of 'delete guild; acquire changes'. So for now, I'll leave you with the knowledge of what the two new races for lycanthropes will be: Wereboars and Werecrocs. These might seem a little bit unconventional to some who might've been hoping for other races (such as felines), but they certainly won't be the only additions we make to lycan races. In the future, we plan to add more races and leave them open for players to discover through a new system we plan to introduce: factions.

Factions are a new mechanic we will be introducing that will allow players to gain standing with a group of NPCs through questlines and events. This will confer certain bonuses and advantages depending on the faction and ask players to explore new avenues of roleplay. For example, each of the lycanthrope races will have a faction associated with them. Increasing your reputation with that faction will grant you access to their form, as well as the ability to obtain the class itself from them. Factions are Haern's baby, so I'll let him discuss the system in further detail when he chooses.

We have also been hard at work on improving our environment content. Most people will agree that this area of gameplay is the most lackluster part of Aetolia at present, and it is something we will be making continued efforts to improve. Factions are just one such outlet for this. We also released our new dialogue system for interacting with mobs this month, which has had a very positive result thus far. As a result, we have been slowly but surely updating areas to use this feature. The dialogue system also includes a beta of our new quest system, which we will reveal details on at a later date, as we are still cementing the specifics. We will be continuing to adopt these systems across our areas in April and the coming months, as well as adding in new quests while we're revisiting all this old content. March also saw the first tests of our new raid instances done, and we received a lot of valuable feedback from those involved. Veritas is polishing up the content for another test and will probably be asking for testers again in the coming weeks.

Thanks to some ingenuity and initiative taken by you, the players, we met our goal of dropping down to four Houses while only having to actually dissolve one of them! Aside from the headache of keeping tabs on point totals, most vampire players seemed to be enjoying some of the new changes coming along from Abhorash and the Dominion. With the total Houses down to the limit we wanted, you can all breathe a fairly large sigh of relief as that part of the process is done with. Of course we may leave the TOPHOUSES command in just so you can see how well you are doing compared to the others, though its likely to not have any relevance to future plans.

Speaking of the Dominion itself, we're still planning to churn out quite a bit of new content for it and the Consanguine in general in the coming weeks. Primarily is the introduction of long awaited House Credits! Along with Credits, the Dominion will see our first attempt at fully tying an organization to a City in a pretty obvious, and perhaps radical new way, that some of its members have already been made aware of. The full extent of this will be released in the near future.

A newbie Academy system is in the works for each city. Similar to the collegiums of Lusternia, these Academies are designed to provide a post-tour learning experience for newbies. At the Academy, newbies will reinforce what they have learnt in the tour, as well as learning about other mechanics such as general skills, specialized emoting/says, and features involving both their character and interaction with others. They will be able to go through these tasks at their own pace, leaving to do other things and coming back later if they choose. Completing tasks, however, will reward them essential and helpful supplies, such as curatives, tattoos, and class equipment.

And lastly, work on the Sentinel changes is nearing completion. We're expecting to have the class pushed to liaisons for balancing and testing within the next week or two, so look forward to previews of the skillsets soon!
MoireanMastemaMacavityTzaArekaMilvushinaLinIllikaalKerrynAlistaireCalipsoLiancaAlycenaSeirKonnornCiarelleEzalorKiyotanAngwePerilunaIosyneMalokArbreHaydynAldricMeskhenetEmellePiperJensenHavenHadoryuValenaeAxai

Comments

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Lyl needs to pick up lycan and get on that werecroc form asap.

The academies sound awesome - I really liked the concept when I played through them in Lusternia. Are they going to be city-based like they are there? What kind of theme will they have? What sort of interactions will guild and city leaders have with newbies in the academies - will it be like an extension of the novice aide role?

Factions sound pretty cool - the new NPC updates are already fun and give a nice extra level of depth even if you are just using them to find the arena. I'm really excited to see that expanded into bigger quest stuff  - does this mean guild quests are open for consideration, now, too? Iosyne's updates to HELP QUESTS hinted towards that...!

Yay shiny fun stuff. I love this game! :D
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    Taking applications for the Wereboar squad. 
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal
    Moirean said:
    The academies sound awesome - I really liked the concept when I played through them in Lusternia. Are they going to be city-based like they are there? What kind of theme will they have? What sort of interactions will guild and city leaders have with newbies in the academies - will it be like an extension of the novice aide role?

Factions sound pretty cool - the new NPC updates are already fun and give a nice extra level of depth even if you are just using them to find the arena. I'm really excited to see that expanded into bigger quest stuff  - does this mean guild quests are open for consideration, now, too? Iosyne's updates to HELP QUESTS hinted towards that...!
    a)
    Yes, the Academy will be city based, and will cover themes of exploration, social, hunting, healing and ylem. While the goal is that it'll be easy enough for a newbie to go in and complete the quests on his own, the Ambassodorial offices will receive some new commands to handle newbies with.

b)
    Yes, there are already several org-specific quests planned.
    MastemaKonnorn
  • SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    edited April 2013

Edit: Let me just say that factions seems really neat and is a cool way of giving some of the villages and stuff some morality and feeling other than whether or not you're an enemy.
  • I was hoping for some sort of werebird, but keeping my fingers crossed that it will come at a later date. The rest though.... Awesome! Can't like enough!

• EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    So everyone reading this post should totally go vote. We're not even in the top 10 you slackers!
    LiancaPerilunaSeir
  • KiyotanKiyotan spectacular vernacular Summit of the Falconmount
    I want to be Exalted with Mournhold. DAMMIT, KELKI, LOVE ME.
    Some may say we've lost our way, but I believe we've not gone far enough.
  • edited April 2013
    Will the factions system be overriding the current 'some placed don't like you if you're undead, some don't like you if you're living' feature?

Also:

Razmael said:

Wereboars 
    DharRivasEzalorLunaLinArbreChakrasul
  • SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    The bestest "werecroc" ever
    Love you, Renekton.
    Calipso
  • Well that escalated quickly.

RivasSeirArbre
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Renekton'd be a Xorani, not a were-thing.

Will the revamp come with some more..hmm. Guidance for were-things, or will that remain vague? Crinos, hispo, lupus, etc? Especially with one of the races being a were-tangent of a played race, would people morphing into crinos (normal xorani if not of the race), or what-have-you?
  • @Areka: I probably couldn't answer your question anyway, but I wasn't certain what you meant either. It might be helpful to clarify a little.

On another note, a really interesting development would be that the Albedian races (which are largely animal-themed) are secretly all therianthropes. There's an interesting lore connection between Ashtan/Bahkatu and Spinesreach/Atabahi to the Dreikathi, at least.

Lycanthropy lore hosts multiple 'stages' of lycanthropy, in terms of form you take (primarily through World of Darkness setting the precedence in common culture). I ask because we have a gray area, due to having animal races (Ursal, Rajamala, Xorani) which are similar to the Crinos form.

The forms are:
    Homid: Base/starting form, no mutation.
    Glabro: Put on weight, start to take on other features (stronger facial features, etc), beginning/early stage of mutation. (Also sometimes the Raja/Xorani people, who are mostly human save for neko ears or conveniently having a sex-tail, NOT THAT I'M OPINIONATED ON THAT MATTER).
    Crinos: As you see in Underworld, typically the most popular, walking upright, mostly mutated, but still humanoid in movements - akin to to our animal races now)
    Hispo: Fuller mutation, akin to being a dire wolf vs a wolf, larger.
    Lupus: Standard were(thing), IE you went from your race into the sort of animal you see in the wild.

• ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Most of the werethings I see are in your Hispo to Lupus range.  Galleus once said on a uStream that they were supposed to be bipedal, which I took to mean Crinos, though I have seen very, very few people take to that.
    I see a bunch of Crinos (and wearing clothing) (I prefer hispo and lupus personally).

It's just...bipedal lizardbeing is a xorani, which makes mutating..into...a xorani kinda silly.
    Esper
  • I would put my cards in with it largely being Crinos-based albeit very monstrous looking, with some room left open for the Hispo form when traveling around, making dens or urinating on stuff. When it comes to the races that are similiar (Xoran to werecroc, as an example) I like to imagine them hulking out. Just my two cents, mind you.
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    What in the hell is going on here?
    Angwe
  • AlistaireAlistaire Las Vegas, Nevada
    I'm really just curious about the werepigs using the skills that lycans have. Claws and fangs? Hoof and tusk?

Will howling be snorting? If not? Why? It should be.
  • Howling and Roaring will be receiving a name change. Likewise, the name of the class will be changed as well to move away from the werewolf-theme that is currently prevalent (i.e. lycan immediately implies wolf to many players and it seemed incredibly lazy to continue to call them this with the new races emerging). The class will be renamed to Shapeshifters to reflect this.
    HaydynArbre
    Skinwalkers.
    AldricAngwePerilunaAlastair
    Areka said:
    Lycanthropy lore hosts multiple 'stages' of lycanthropy, in terms of form you take (primarily through World of Darkness setting the precedence in common culture). I ask because we have a gray area, due to having animal races (Ursal, Rajamala, Xorani) which are similar to the Crinos form.

The forms are:
    Homid: Base/starting form, no mutation.
    Glabro: Put on weight, start to take on other features (stronger facial features, etc), beginning/early stage of mutation. (Also sometimes the Raja/Xorani people, who are mostly human save for neko ears or conveniently having a sex-tail, NOT THAT I'M OPINIONATED ON THAT MATTER).
    Crinos: As you see in Underworld, typically the most popular, walking upright, mostly mutated, but still humanoid in movements - akin to to our animal races now)
    Hispo: Fuller mutation, akin to being a dire wolf vs a wolf, larger.
    Lupus: Standard were(thing), IE you went from your race into the sort of animal you see in the wild.

What is a sex-tail
    Angwe
  • Don't you DARE act like you don't know...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

ArekaArbreHaydyn
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    Do Wereboars get Grunting or Squealing? Either would be fit for mudsex. 
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • edited April 2013

Areka said:
    Renekton'd be a Xorani, not a were-thing.

Will the revamp come with some more..hmm. Guidance for were-things, or will that remain vague? Crinos, hispo, lupus, etc? Especially with one of the races being a were-tangent of a played race, would people morphing into crinos (normal xorani if not of the race), or what-have-you?
    I think the solution is clear that Xorani have got to get the axe!
    ArekaArbreIllikaalDaskalosRivas
    Kiyotan said:

What is a sex-tail
    Come here, I'll show you.
    KiyotanStathan
  • I want to 'like' the post because it's funny...
    ...but if I like the post, she might come for me next. Decisions, decisions...

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

EmelleArbreMastemaPerilunaEzraxMoirean
  • Ferrik will pee himself if he sees Were-croc, amirite?
    imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*
    AngweAarbrokKonnornSarkisPerilunaFerrik
  • Month of April review plz ^_^
    KiyotanAxaiMacian
This discussion has been closed.