A New Home for a Spirean Orphan

AolinAolin Inside a transdimensional bakery
edited December 2020 in Roleplay Logs
(**some of the entries and exits are paraphrased, because I stink at logging.. but hop on the feels train here and hold on tight.)

Aolin stops and looks at a little boy.

Standing just under three feet, this waifish child is covered from head to toe in dirt. Not even his hair color is discernable, thanks wholly in part to the dirt, filth, and grime coating it. Tear-tracks run down his face to reveal a few lines of skin beneath the dirt, snot staining his nose and mouth from a recent bout of crying. His clothes are torn and ragged and several sizes too big for his extremely thin, starved frame. His bare feet are covered in cuts, scratches, blisters and scars from lack of shoes, every step extremely difficult for him. His hands are wrapped in tattered, filthy cloth, likely torn from his ragged pants, just to try and offer some additional warmth and protection for the chill-caused blisters across his skin.
A little boy looks weak and feeble.
He weighs about 50 pound(s).

You give a huge chocolate chip cookie laden with hazelnuts to a little boy.

You give a little boy a tight hug.

Aolin says to a little boy, "Oh my goodness.. are you alright, kiddo?"

Aolin says to a little boy. "Don't they have an orphanage here, dear? Want me to take you there?"

You give a little boy a tight hug.
A little boy smiles at you.

You give a huge chocolate chip cookie laden with hazelnuts to a little boy.

A little boy looks at you cautiously, both hands with a cookie now.

Aolin crouches down, eyes full of sad concern. "Yeah? Wanna get some food, kid?"

You give a quilted blanket of teal blue wool to a little boy.

A little boy sniffles and nods three times, rubbing his tear-stained face with the back of his hand, not willing to let go of the cookies now tightly clutched.

Aolin's eyes water suspiciously and she bites her lip. "Alright, lovey. Follow me."

A little boy looks between his cookie filled hands and sniffles again to not let his nose run so much. Deciding that two cookies are too much for him, he bends over slightly and deposits the cookie on the ground to free up one hand. With child-like innocence, he reaches his small hand up delicately to attempt and hold your hand.

A little boy drops a huge chocolate chip cookie laden with hazelnuts.

Aolin squeezes the hand lightly. "Alright. If nothing else, it's a warm place with food. And if it's what I remember... well, we'll see."

[they walk together to the foundling wing of the Spirean Institute]

Aolin gently releases a little boy hand and sits down, patting the floor as she lays out the food.

A little boy watches as the blanket is laid out and waddles over before plopping down with another sniffle. Now out of the cold, he starts to bring the cookie to his mouth and takes a bite far too large for his little mouth. Crumbs fall down in abundance as he bites and chews more than he swallows, looking around the room with wary curiosity.

Aolin watches quietly for a minute, then stands slowly, careful not to startle a little boy. "I'll be right back," she says softly.

Aolin returns, brows furrowed. "I'm not sure who's in charge here."
With a little sigh, Aolin sits down again, thinking.

A little boy continues to take mouthfuls of his cookie, looking at you a little blankly while chewing before taking a heavy swallow of chocolate chip cookie. Wiping the crumbs off his lips with another sniffle. "Thank you, nice lady." He says finally, looking down at his lap and all the crumbs gathered there.

Aolin nods slightly, a smile tracing her lips. Her expression is still gravely concerned. "This is where the city's orphans live. They have a playground, a classroom, a warm place to sleep, and food. Would you like to stay? I'll find someone to talk to about it."

A little boy looks a little uncertain, folding his knees inwards with a trembling bottom lip. "I want to stay." He says says quietly, looking southwards as if expecting to be thrown back into the streets. He clutches what's left of his cookie tightly, "No one wants me." He blubbers quietly, tears already starting to fall down the tear-stained face.

The gathered tears in Aolin's eyes spill over, and she reaches over to fold a little boy into her arms tenderly, resting her cheek on the grubby head. "There, there," she soothes. "You are safe, and you are wanted. You are a beautiful, wonderful child." Her eyes grow fierce. "And you'll stay, even if I have to knock some sense into someone."

A little boy begins to cry in earnest now, balling into your frame and tucking his head against your neck with little sobs. Incomprehensible words about people pushing him down, or ignoring him come out in blubbers until he finally calms down, fists clutched and the rest of his cookie entirely dissolved into a pile of crumbs on the blanket. It takes a few more moments for him to calm down before he can speak clearly again. "I can live here?"

Your voice like the wind itself, you tell @Savas, "Pardon me- you're a Spirean senator, right? Would you say you had the authority to authorize a new ward for the Foundling Wing of the Spirean Institute?"

Savas Sicarius tells you, "What."

Your voice like the wind itself, you tell Savas, "Would you mind coming down to the Institute? There's a little boy who needs a home, and I don't have the authority to promise him he can stay."

Your voice like the wind itself, you tell Savas, "I can ask Nisavi if you're busy. She's a Senator too, right? That's what the city records say, anyway."

Savas Sicarius tells you, "I'm coming."

Aolin strokes the dirty hair of a little boy . "Here. He can help," she reassures.

Aolin holds the little boy a bit tighter, eyes challenging. "He's staying," she asserts.

Savas glances between you and a little boy. "Erm.. hey there," he greets, his voice soft as he squats down to look a little boy over. His amethysts flick briefly to you. "What?"

Aolin stares implacably. "For a city of progress, an awful lot of people have walked past this little boy in the cold," she says evenly as a reply, arms wrapped around the urchin protectively.

A little boy huddles against you, not daring to speak as you challenges Savas, though it's quite clear from his tear-stricken face that he's been crying very recently.

Savas Sicarius says to you, "Are you going to house this boy, or are you going to let me do my job?"

Aolin sighs, her fierce expression retreating. "Sorry. Sorry. It's just... kids are important to me."

Savas tries again, greeting a little boy with an attempt at a sincere smile. The General wasn't the most experienced with helping children, but he could sympathize with the situation at least. "Hey there," he says. "You wanna get some food?"

A little boy keeps closer to you now. "Nice lady gave me food." He replies with a sniffle, "I want to live here." He attempts to put on a brave face but it does not last long before it crumples and tears threaten to spill again. "Please."

[@Saidenn and @Nahuaque arrives]

Aolin watches silently now as more people arrive, stroking the child's hair gently in mute reassurance.

Saidenn steps into the dormitory, staying on the edges of the light to briefly watch the interactions. His eyes flick toward Savas, then you and a little boy. A purr builds in his chest, and he shifts his head to look at Nahuaque, taking several more steps back to speak to Nahuaque in a low tone.

Savas is in the midst of squatting down and greeting a little boy as he notices Saidenn enter from the corner of his eye. "Live here?" He echoes, his lips pressing into a thin line. "We can see if that can be arranged."

Savas Sicarius says, "If not, there are likely other possibilities."

Aolin murmurs softly, "It is a place for orphans, is it not?"

Nahuaque nods his head towards Saidenn a single time in understanding and stands silently beside the other man.

[There is a long silence.]

The quiet is only interrupted by a little boy's sniffles, "I want to stay." He echoes again, a small pile of cookie crumbs linger on the blankets beneath him and he remains closed to you. "No one wants me. S-She was nice to me."

Saidenn nods toward Savas as he listens to the conversation, finally pressing his paw against Nahuaque's shoulder. He does not linger much longer, his storm-laden eyes upon a little boy for but a moment longer, before he slips away, urging Nahuaque to follow.

Savas nods. "Then stay," he allows easily, rising from his squatted position to stand at his full height. "I will endeavor to ensure you are allowed a place here."

Aolin lets out a breath she hadn't realized she was holding, breaking into a relieved smile.

Savas Sicarius says to you, "You are not Spirean, but I trust your intentions well enough. Ensure the boy is taken care of here, and I will speak to the person in charge."

Aolin nods firmly. "Thank you," she says fervently.

Savas Sicarius says, "..do not make me regret my placed trust."

Leaning her head down to plant a kiss on the little head, Aolin releases a little boy from her grasp and shifts to kneel in front of him. "I will check in on you every week to make sure they're treating you right. You'll like it here." She wraps a little boy in a warm hug.

A little boy doesn't seem to process the words, shell shocked entirely it's not until you kneel before him that his face starts to scrunch up and he does his best not to cry. "I have a home?"

With a smile marred just slightly by a renewed wetness in her eyes, Aolin nods. "You have a home," she confirms. "And you'll have friends, and you'll get an education, and be safe and loved."

"Will you visit?" a little boy sniffs, still doing his best not to cry and failing miserably as his lips tremble and tears flood his eyes. "I don't want you to leave."

Savas Sicarius tells you, "Ensure the boy remains on his best behavior."

Your voice like the wind itself, you tell Savas, "He's a starving orphan who needs love, not a monster on a leash."

Aolin reaches out again to hold a little boy comfortingly. "I will," she promises firmly. "Every week, maybe more. And I'll bring you presents, and make absolutely sure you're doing well and are happy." She pauses. "And if you aren't, I'll take you to Enorian."

Savas Sicarius tells you, "You'd do well to watch your tone with me, lady. I secured his place there. Another misplaced snark toward me, I won't take so lightly."

Your voice like the wind itself, you tell Savas, "You mistake me, Mr. Sicarius. It is not 'snark'. Simply a statement. I'm sorry you took it that way."

Your voice like the wind itself, you tell Savas, "...I really am extremely grateful."

"Okay." a little boy jerks his chin upwards, putting on his bravest face. "Thank you, nice lady." He says and hugs you tightly. "Thank you."

@Nisavi approaches the dormitory with a rather taciturn look upon her features, staring about herself and casting an appraising gaze across the dormitory before finding herself before both you and the small boy dressed in rages. She stares for a length of time at the both of you before leveling a glance at the child. "This is the one causing the stir?" she asks, looking down at him from atop her Taerilan. "I see."

Savas Sicarius tells you, "That's well and good, but Ghada is firm and there'll be no place for him there if he strays too far out of line."

Savas Sicarius tells you, "So make sure to remind him to behave. That's all I was saying."

Aolin pauses in her comforting of the child as Nisavi enters, and edges cautiously in front of him. "He didn't mean to cause any stir."

Your voice like the wind itself, you tell Savas, "Understood. I'll impress it upon him. But still.. I don't think you need to worry, is all."

"I'm living here now." a little boy says both warily and proudly to Nisavi, though holds the same wariness as he nervously fidgets after the statement is spoken aloud.

Nisavi's diminutive form floats upon undulating shadow beneath her, deviating gravity as she makes her way before both you and the small boy. She seems to disregard your words, instead electing to drop down from her perch in the air and leering down only slightly upon the child, their comparative sizes not that different from one another. She bears a look of utmost severity despite her small stature and she leans forward as if leering over the child with ominous intent. "I see," she says, her left claw fumbling through the contents of a pack neatly concealed beneath her shawl. What she unearths is initially invisible, but she holds an outstretched hand over to the boy.

Nisavi opens her claw to reveal a strawberry chocolate and she drops into the boy's possession before her severe expression gives way to a large, toothy, and almost comical smile.

Reverting to her look of utmost severity, Nisavi of Kemau says, "Gifts do not come freely from Dragon-kin, yes? You will do good things while here and pay us back, yes?"

Aolin's face splits into a broad grin and she relaxes from the tense alertness she had assumed as Nisavi approached. She ruffles the hair of a little boy and stands. "You'll be okay here, kiddo. You're in good hands."

A little boy takes the treat in his hands, "Kiddo." He echoes before nodding furiously towards Nisavi. "Okay, scary lady!" Then to you. "Thank you, nice lady!"

You murmur to Nisavi, "Thank you."

Nisavi bares her teeth in a contradicting look that combines her severe expression tinged with her previous smile. "Good, yes," she says with approval before waving her left claw as ambient shadow propels her into the air once more. With a haughty raise of her maw, she pivots on her step and departs just as swiftly as she came.

Voice lilting on feathery wafts of air, Nisavi tells you, "Mnh. Yes."

Aolin watches Nisavi go, then looks back at a little boy. "I need to go.. certain people aren't fond of me spending too much time in this city. But I will," the word is emphasized heavily, "be back. Be good, okay?" She smiles at the child, then pauses. "Hey... what's your name?"

A little boy tilts his head, "I don't know..." He admits quietly, looking a bit ashamed.

Aolin looks dismayed, biting her lip for a moment. "There was a little boy very special to me... his name was Ren. Maybe.. you'd like to be called that?"

Archivist Ghada enters from the south, robes swirling around her ankles.

Aolin looks up warily. "Greetings, Archivist."

Archivist Ghada walks in with a visible limp, staring imperiously over you and a little boy. "This is him, then?" She asks coldly, her hard black eyes looking accusatory.

"Ren." a little boy smiles and nods excitedly, taking to the name instantly before Archivist Ghada walks in, quieting down immediately.

Aolin clears her throat lightly and straightens, nodding respectfully. "Yes, ma'am. He promises to be on his best behavior."

A little boy nods hurriedly, looking quite intimidated by the woman.

"Promises are like pie crusts, little Imp." Archivist Ghada scowls and holds out a hand with only two fingers expectantly. "Easily broken. Come along, boy, we'll tidy you up. I have enough apprentices bumbling about my lab, but we'll get you sorted yet."

Aolin nods quietly, nudging a little boy gently. "Go on.. Ren," she urges, eyes misting.

Ren, a small child seems uncertain, but the little nudge has him stumble forwards and grab onto Archivist Ghada hand as best he can. "Don't forget me?" He asks, already being led away by the impatient head mistress, craning his head over his shoulder.

Your voice like the wind itself, you tell Ren, "I never will."

Ren, a small child tells you, "Okay!"

Aolin stands still a while, smiling, an unnoticed tear dripping slowly down her cheek. After a while, she shakes her head and looks around. "I'll watch over you, kiddo," she whispers to herself as she leaves the wing behind.

Your voice like the wind itself, you tell Ren, a small child, "Be good, Ren. I'll visit soon."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(next Aetolian week)

You give Renn, a Human boy a tight hug.

Standing just under three feet, this waifish child is on the road to recovery. Hair sprouts from his head in a messy brown mop, growing down past his nose with the bangs pushed clumsily aside to clear his gaze. A small button nose and thin lips are frequently given to bright smiles, emphasizing his carefree nature. His clothes fit him a little loosely as if one size too big, but he wears them proudly, white shirt tucked into his brown trousers - supported by a tightly-tied belt - as well as small leather shoes, well-fitting and new by their appearance. Scratches, nicks and scars are layered about his skin, though he pays them no mind while going about his tasks in the institute.
Renn, a Human boy looks weak and feeble.
He weighs about 46 pound(s).

---

Thank you, thank you, thank you to whoever in the Pools responded to that mobmsg and made that happen. Hands down, favorite game moment.

ArchelausNisaviValorieTaiyangAlmolRijettaTeaniSekeres

Comments