Announce post #3147: War Ministry and Troops

12/2/2020 at 5:28
Keroc, the Starborn
Everyone
War Ministry and Troops

Troops are once again conscriptable for cities, granting new purpose to the War Ministry and the Militia.

These troops don't really have a true mechanical purpose currently, and we have nothing further planned for them at this time. Please just think of them as roleplay tools for your city. As such I've set them relatively cheap to conscript and maintain, but most of the original troop mechanics re-exist in their old forms.

A few small changes however:
- Capturing land has been removed.
- Players can attack divisions and deal damage to them.
* They will really, really hurt though if they hit you.
- Fortifying can be done anywhere.
- Fortified divisions become immune to player attacks.
* Divisions can still attack each other though irregardless.

We may use them as part of events, or you may use them to go setup in a town and declare your dominance. It's up to your imagination.

Penned by my hand on Closday, the 7th of Variach, in the year 492 MA.
DrayneRijettaHavenSryaenEleneSavasLinTetchtaIllikaalNisaviMazzion

Comments

• edited December 2020
    Wow cool!

Edit: deleted something.
  • RijettaRijetta Nowhere Important
    Hell yeah. This is a good first step towards a renewed inter-organizational conflict system, but more importantly, it's a rad as hell RP tool. Thanks, @Keroc!
    A low, sultry voice resounds within the depths of your mind, "I look forward to seeing your descent."
    HavenTetchtaMazzion
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    I am so stoked for this.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    Rijetta
  • I support this, on the condition that the player base treat the system fairly.

As someone who was a big player in the old war system, I can say that the issue people had with it, is that it was nonstop. This was the issue more than the risk associated with it.

It was an endless cycle of feeling obligated to stay logged in. To search for targets to take out. To constantly scout to see if your troops are alright.

Regardless of the motivations or intentions of this change, I can see how some issues may develop.

So, this is my call to the players of Aetolia, especially its city leaders on all sides of the fence. Let's treat this system with good intentions and not take shit so seriously OOC.
    Drayne
  • TetchtaTetchta The Innocent

Haven
  • TiurTiur Producer
    edited December 2020
    It has been a hilarious few weeks. Every morning I wake up there are eldritch abominations duking it out with normal phalanx of troops. I'm over here hanging stockings and having talks with Ironbeard, and bam, a war breaks out on top of the air hockey table. New celani are in the corner gibbering, the drama llama cage gets broken open by troops trying to fortify, blech. The Pools are covered in dead bodies and gore. Well, MORE THAN NORMAL.

(I have no idea why Keroc decided to fix this, but it's cool. Don't get to serious because we really don't have any plans for it to DO anything)
    TaiyangLegynMazzionSevarius
  • For someone who will be experiencing this for the first time (as primarily a noncombatant too!), will this be something I have to worry about if I don't go around poking things with the sharp end of a stick or getting enemied to everyone and their mother?
  • Tiur said:

(I have no idea why Keroc decided to fix this, but it's cool. Don't get to serious because we really don't have any plans for it to DO anything)

Honestly, it's the best present I could ask for this time of year. Some of my best Aetolian memories were during war and the off-times for it. I'm glad to see troops, at the very least, making a return. I can dust off my marcher script.

Though, if troop usage remains popular, maybe consider some kind of system with them moving forward. Maybe even for PvE purposes like with Kornar.

Drayne
  • TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    edited December 2020
    edit: fine, I thought commenting about admin communication on an announce post was on-topic but YOU WIN.

TaiyangBrax
  • Actually, this would be a neat idea if we had a PvE mode with city troops called Excursions or something where we venture into really, REALLY dangerous places lore wise with our troops and the cities can get rewarded based on claims that they manage to stake during the excursion. Could be a potential good use for troops that isn't potentially controversial PvP wise.
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Taiyang said:

For someone who will be experiencing this for the first time (as primarily a noncombatant too!), will this be something I have to worry about if I don't go around poking things with the sharp end of a stick or getting enemied to everyone and their mother?

You should be able to ignore it entirely, as we haven't tied it into anything. Just don't attack them.
    TaiyangCallidora
  • Tiur said:

This is the exact thought process I had when I put all my Black Friday bonuses into crafting skills. It was totally worth it.
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    So are people supposed to be treating this like an actual war system and claiming open PK for it? 
    Rihrin
  • That's a good question. My character is currently uninvolved, but I'd assume if there's RP aggressions going down between cities and someone is moving troops, they're open season.

It's also not unreasonable to assume that members of opposing military forces are volunteering into being Open PK, but that might be a stretch.

Admin clarification would be nice!
    Rihrin
  • I think the clarification came in the original post.

Troops mechanics were re-enabled and there is still no mechanical war system. So, PK rules are the same as they've always been. Have people been claiming other people are open PK just for being in the militia?
    Copperhead of the Third Spoke says to you, "Intelligence matrix in moniker Bulrok reveals above average results when compared alongside proximal presence."
    Haven
  • My stance so it is not griefy, is to only attack those who look active in the war. Scouting the area, moving troops, etc. Of course snarky tells will also be met with attacks. However, you will notice I haven't attacked anyone militia wise because I haven't deemed anything so far a war action. If Haven (he is the MoW) was idling in Jaru (contested type area), I wouldn't go to attack him just for that. If four Enorian members were going there and looked suspicious, I may.
    SavasHavenRihrinLegyn
  • SibattiSibatti Mamba dur Naya Amidst vibrant flora and trees
    I dunno, seems to me like making up rules as we go isn't going to end well.
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    If you don't want to participate, don't participate. If you do participate, understand the risk of your actions - if you're aiding the conflict in any visible way, you may be attacked and killed. If you're being mouthy, you may be attacked and killed. If you're loitering near objectives, you're at risk of being attacked and killed. It's really no different from any conflict prior to the troops being enabled.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    MazzionSaidennRihrinXarianRijettaNisaviLegynTeani
  • Haven said:

If you don't want to participate, don't participate. If you do participate, understand the risk of your actions - if you're aiding the conflict in any visible way, you may be attacked and killed. If you're being mouthy, you may be attacked and killed. If you're loitering near objectives, you're at risk of being attacked and killed. It's really no different from any conflict prior to the troops being enabled.

This. I appreciate the troops and the impromptu additions of them are sparking some world conflict outside of lessers or Orrery. I know a lot of people are not into that kind of thing, but world conflict can lead to some amazing opportunities for roleplay, both individually and organizationally. Actions having consequences can be great for everyone.

Of course, we DO run the risk of some taking it too far, but I feel the current MoW's are competent enough to not let it spiral out of control.
    RihrinRijettaNisaviLegyn