Recipes!

edited February 2013 in OOC Chat
I miss the recipe thread from the old forums, so I'm making a new one! 

I'll kick start this one with a few of my favorites:

Strawberry Salad

[spoiler]
Strawberry Salad

CRUST:
2 cups of crushed pretzels
1 ½ sticks of melted margarine
3 tablespoons of brown sugar

Mix above ingredients until pretzels are moist. Press into bottom of 9x13” baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 – 20 minutes. Afterwards, put in fridge to accelerate cooling.

MIDDLE:
9oz cool whip
8oz softened cream cheese
1 scant cup of white sugar

Mix cream cheese and sugar first. Mix in cool whip. Spread onto cooled pretzel crust.

TOPPING:
6oz box of strawberry jello
2 cups water
16oz tub of frozen strawberries 

Dissolve 1 large (6oz) of strawberry jello into 2 cups of boiling water. Add 1 large container of frozen strawberries. Chill until slightly thickened, and then pour over the cream cheese mixture. Refrigerate the whole thing until completely set.
[/spoiler]

Easy Skillet Apple (or Peach) Pie

image          image

[spoiler]Easy Skillet Apple/Peach Pie

4 pounds of mixed green & red apples (Crisp apples are best for baking!)
    [For the peach version, use 6 - 8 peaches depending on size]
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 (14.1-oz.) package refrigerated piecrusts
1 egg white
2 tablespoons granulated sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350º. Peel apples (or peaches), and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges. Remove seeds or pits. Toss apples/peaches with cinnamon and 3/4 cup granulated white sugar.

2. Melt butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat; add brown sugar, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, and place 1 piecrust in skillet over brown sugar mixture. Spoon apple mixture over piecrust, and top with remaining piecrust. Whisk egg white until foamy. Brush top of piecrust with egg white; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar. Cut 4 or 5 slits in top for steam to escape.

3. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly, shielding with aluminum foil during last 10 minutes to prevent excessive browning, if necessary. Cool on a wire rack before serving so the fruit can set.[/spoiler]

Okay, that's all for now! I have more recipes, but I want to make them up and get some awesome pictures before I post here. Looking forward to seeing everyone's yummy creations!
imageimage
MarienaHavenValenaeDharMoirean

Comments

• HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    I want a piece of that pie.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    ValenaeOrisaeHaydyn
  • IosyneIosyne the Lair
    edited February 2013
    This was tonight's dinner. Sorry for the bad quality of the picture. I was too busy wanting to eat to focus on a good picture experience.

Chicken Pomodoro Pasta

4 oz Italian-marinated chicken, cooked and sliced into bite size pieces.
    9 oz linguine noodles, cooked until al dente and set aside.
    A dash of red pepper flakes
    3 oz olive oil
    1 garlic clove, minced
    6-8 fresh basil leaves, julienned.
    2 roma(plum) tomatoes, diced
    3 oz white wine
    1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

Saute red pepper flakes, garlic, basil, olive oil, chicken.
    Add tomatoes and deglaze pan with white wine.
    Add noodles and toss together. Add white wine/olive oil to your liking.
    Top with freshly grated parmesan.
    ValenaeHaydynAarbrokOrisaeDhar
  • IosyneIosyne the Lair
    edited February 2013
    Didn't have a picture of the final product, but look at these yummy fresh ingredients! Note that the low-sodium ingredients are a necessity and not a health-conscious decision, otherwise you will end up with a very salty soup!

Wonton Soup

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon minced garlic
    2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
    1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions, plus 3 tablespoons finely chopped scallions
    10 cups canned low sodium chicken broth (I used a different ratio of chicken stock in the picture, but I'd go with the broth!)
    1/2 pound ground pork
    1 egg yolk
    2 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
    1 1/2 teaspoons rice wine vingar
    1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (I used red pepper flakes as a shortcut)
    1 1/2 cups thinly sliced bok choy
    30 wonton wrappers

Directions

Wontons
    In a small bowl mix together 1 teaspoon of minced garlic, 1 tablespoon chopped ginger, 3 tablespoons finely chopped scallions, pork, egg yolk, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, crushed red pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined.

Work on a flat surface or cutting board, lay out your wonton wrappers and assemble. Place a heaping teaspoon of the pork mixture in the center of the wrapper. Keep a small bowl of cool water next to you, use it to wet your fingers and fold the wonton into a triangle, and then pinch the two ends together. Be sure to press firmly around the mound to prevent any air bubbles.

In a large pot of boiling water, cook your wontons for approximately five minutes each or until they float, remove and set aside. (Note: you can prepare these ahead of time and refrigerate, toss them into the soup when ready)

Soup
    Heat oil in large saucepan/soup pot on medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon garlic and 1 tablespoon ginger and cook until fragrant but not browned.

Add 1/4 cup of sliced scallions and all of the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 20-30 minutes. 

Add the bok choy and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the wontons. Serve immediately.

HaydynAarbrokDharMoirean
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA

Vegetarian Phở (Vietnamese Noodle Soup)

Serves 2

Broth
    1 large onion, peeled and halved
    2-inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled and halved lengthwise
    3-inch cinnamon stick, preferably Vietnamese cassia-cinnamon
    1 star anise 
    2 cloves
    1 teaspoon coriander seeds
    4 cups unsalted vegetable stock
    2 teaspoons soy sauce
    4 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped

Noodles
    1/2 pound dried flat rice noodles (known as bánh phở; use 1/16", 1/8", or 1/4" width depending on availability and preference)

Toppings (optional)
    Protein such as fried or baked tofu, bean curd skin, or seitan
    Mushrooms
    Vegetables such as bok choy, napa cabbage, or broccoli

Garnishes
    1/2 onion, very thinly sliced
    2 scallions, thinly sliced
    1 chile pepper (Thai bird, serrano, or jalapeño), sliced
    1 lime, cut into wedges
    1/2 cup bean sprouts
    Large handful of herbs: cilantro, Thai basil, culantro/saw-leaf herb
    Hoisin sauce, sriracha (optional)

For the broth
    Char onion and ginger over an open flame (holding with tongs) or directly under a broiler until slightly blackened, about 5 minutes on each side. Rinse with water.

In a large pot, dry roast cinnamon, star anise, cloves, and coriander over medium-low heat, stirring to prevent burning. When spices are aromatic, add vegetable stock, soy sauce, carrots, and charred onion and ginger.

Bring broth to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Strain and keep hot until ready to serve.

For the noodles
    While broth is simmering, place noodles in a large bowl and cover with hot water. Let stand for 20-30 minutes or until tender but still chewy. Drain. (If soaking does not soften the noodles enough, blanch them in a pot of boiling water for a few seconds.)

For the toppings (optional)
    While broth is simmering, prepare toppings as desired – slice and cook tofu, lightly steam or blanch vegetables, etc. Toppings should be unseasoned or only lightly seasoned so as not to interfere with the flavor of the broth.

To serve
    Divide noodles between two bowls. Arrange toppings over noodles. Ladle about 2 cups of broth into each bowl. Serve with garnishes on the side, which diners should add to taste.

DharMoirean
  • MarienaMariena By a lake.
    Aarbrok, I am loving how well your sig goes with recipes.

EmelleAarbrokLianca
  • Haydyn said:
    Easy Skillet Apple (or Peach) Pie

image          image

[spoiler]Easy Skillet Apple/Peach Pie

4 pounds of mixed green & red apples (Crisp apples are best for baking!)
        [For the peach version, use 6 - 8 peaches depending on size]
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup butter
    1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    1 (14.1-oz.) package refrigerated piecrusts
    1 egg white
    2 tablespoons granulated sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350º. Peel apples (or peaches), and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges. Remove seeds or pits. Toss apples/peaches with cinnamon and 3/4 cup granulated white sugar.

How does one get an egg white seperated from the yolk? Also, what kind of apples? I've discovered in the past that Braeburn is nice and jouiy but when I tried Cortland, I almost took off my fingers cutting them up.
    imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*
    Aarbrok

• I used Granny Smith and Braeburn apples. 

As for the egg white, after you crack the egg (on the counter top, not the bowl's edge), you turn it so you're cradling the egg in the half-shell and you pour the yolk from one half-shell to the other. The egg white will fall into the bowl below. 

Another method that I used when I was learning to cook was crack an egg in a small bowl and scoop the yolk out with your hands. (Washed hands of course!) 

imageimage
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Small tip on separating eggs. 

KerrynHaydynMoireanValenae
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    Did... did Aarbrok just teach us how to make pho?
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    If you highlight some of the white you will see that that is indeed the case.

Haydyn
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    <3
    Aarbrok
    edited March 2013
    Vegan Pumpkin cheesecake, One of my favorites, but its really rich.

I dont have any recent pictures since I typically make it around Thanksgiving and just got a new laptop, but its from a book called "Vegan pie in the sky" and honestly vegan or not, its really good 

For the crust: 
    1 1/4 cups of finely ground graham crackers or gingersnaps
    3 tablespoons sugar
    3 tablespoons melted non-hydrogenated margarine, melted coconut oil, or canola oil 
    1 tablespoon plain soy or almond milk.

Filling: 
    1/2 cup whole unroasted cashews soaked in water for 2 to 8 hours or until very soft 
    1/4 cup mashed banana (about half of 1 medium-sized banana) 
    1 12 to 14 oz package silken tofu, drained 1/2 cup sugar 
    1/3 cup brown sugar 
    3 tablespoons coconut oil, at room temperature 
    2 tablespoons cornstarch 
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice 
    2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract 
    1 teaspoon grated orange zest 
    1/4 teaspoon sea salt 
    1 3/4 cups canned pumpkin puree 
    3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon 
    1/4 teaspoons ground ginger 
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg Topping 
    1/3 cup brown sugar 
    1 tablespoon nonhydrogenated margarine *or* coconut oil 
    Pinch of salt 
    1 cup pecans, roughly chopped 

Make the crust: Preheat oven to 350F and lightly spray a 9 inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a mixing bowl, combine the crumbs and sugar. Drizzle in the oil or melted margarine. Use a spoon to blend the mixture thoroughly to moisten the crumbs, then drizzle in the soy milk and stir again to form a crumbly dough. Pour the crumbs into the pan. Press firmly into the bottom. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes until firm. Let the crust cool a bit before filling. Keep oven on 350 to bake the cheesecake. 

Make the topping: In a mixing bowl use a fork to mash together brown sugar, margarine, and salt until crumbly, then fold in the chopped nuts and stir to coat the mixture. Set aside until ready to use. 

Make the filling: Drain the cashews and place in a blender with the banana, tofu, sugar, brown sugar, coconut oil, cornstarch, lemon juice, vanilla, orange zest, and sea salt. Blend until completely smooth and no bits of cashew remain, a food processor or strong blender should be able to get the job done. Set aside 1/2 cup of batter. 

To the remaining batter, add the pumpkin puree, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg and blend until smooth, then pour it into the crust. Randomly spoon dollops of the reserved batter onto the cheesecake. Poke the end of a chopstick into a batter blob and gently swirl to create a marble pattern; repeat with the remaining dollops. 

Bake the cheesecake for 45 to 50 minutes. Remove cheesecake halfway through baking and sprinkle on the topping. Return to oven to continue baking. Cheesecake will be done when the top is lightly puffed and the edges of the cake are golden. Remove it from the oven and let cool on a rack for about 20 minutes, then transfer to the refrigerator to complete cooling, at least 3 hours or even better if overnight. To serve, slice the cake using a thin, sharp knife dipped in cold water.
    Jensen
  • Every time I hear vegan I think of a guy with claws tied to his wrists climbing up a cage and diving at Ryu.
    Totally was Vega...and that guy was a badass!
    Angwe
  • I suck at pictures, but here: A couple three weeks ago, Sarita linked up a recipe for pulled-pork cinnamon rolls in the chatroom and we all kind of debated whether they sounded hot or not. I started at 'not' but was won over when I read the recipe. I didn't use the exact recipe she posted, as I have my own for both pulled pork and cinnamon rolls, but the lovechild of her suggestion is pictured below and, as it turns out, is a great hit with my family. My son's iPad took these photos, and if their quality is poor, I apologize. He had to do it, as my hands shake too much for digital photography and they'd have come out even worse.

On the pan, fresh out of the oven:

Plated with homemade mac and cheese and buttered corn:
    Aarbrok
    Amara said:
    I suck at pictures, but here: A couple three weeks ago, Sarita linked up a recipe for pulled-pork cinnamon rolls in the chatroom and we all kind of debated whether they sounded hot or not. I started at 'not' but was won over when I read the recipe. I didn't use the exact recipe she posted, as I have my own for both pulled pork and cinnamon rolls, but the lovechild of her suggestion is pictured below and, as it turns out, is a great hit with my family. My son's iPad took these photos, and if their quality is poor, I apologize. He had to do it, as my hands shake too much for digital photography and they'd have come out even worse.

On the pan, fresh out of the oven:

Plated with homemade mac and cheese and buttered corn:
    Yes, please!
    havenbanner2
    AmaraAarbrok
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    1. Turn pieces of chicken filé in flour mixed with chili powder, curry and ground cumin.
    2. Fry gently in a pan until the chicken gets some color.
    3. Pour in some syrup from a can of preserved peaches and let it simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes.
    4. Add cream into the pan to make the sauce (Use a lot of cream, you'll want a lot of sauce *wink*)
    5. Let it simmer for a while and add salt and pepper.

Serve with rice (or pasta) and some nice vegetables and half a peach! To show the results, I've added a picture of my lunch for today.

Haven
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    edited March 2013
    So our budget is really tight right now, and our household is spending $100 month per person on food. One great way I've found to really save money is to cook whole roast chickens and then make soup from the scraps. This has turned into a weekend "thing" we do now - roast chicken dinners are so homey and nice!

Roast Chicken
    ---------------------
    Buy a fryer chicken (also might be labelled "young chicken"). They cost around $6-8 each, but if you shop somewhere like Winco, you can get them in bulk at less than $5 each. I just freeze the other ones for later.

Also to buy: a lemon, fresh sage/thyme/rosemary (you can usually find a pack of fresh herbs, labelled poultry seasoning for $2), any veggies you prefer (I like squash and zucchini, $1 each)

-Open up chicken, discard giblets, rinse interior with warm water, pat down dry.
    - Rub butter over the exterior of the chicken.
    - Dash on some salt and pepper all over the bird - you can add any dry seasonings you like. Some weeks I may add some paprika, others maybe some lemon pepper.
    - Roll a lemon on the counter to release juices and then perforate with a fork. Shove that baby up inside the chicken.
    - Also stuff in about 1/4 of the packet of fresh spices (~2 sprigs of each type). A few cloves of garlic won't go wrong as well. I tuck another sprig/clove in the crease behind each arm.
    - If you want, you can slice an onion and lay the slices down before placing the chicken on top.
    - Cook at 425 for about 1.5 hour (meat timer should read 180)
    - Baste at least once with all that melted butteriness.
    - If you'd like, you can add some thick-cut veggies to roast for the last 15ish minutes.

You can turn the drippings into gravy as well! Really easy. Just pour em in a saucepan, heat it up and slowly add flour while whisking. Salt and pepper to taste.

Chicken Soup:
    --------------------
    After everyone has demolished that chicken, take the carcass and turn it into soup stock. Easiest way is to just put it in the crock pot filled with water on simmer overnight, but you can also do it in a big stock pot (just make sure it doesn't boil down). 

After you've let that puppy simmer for a few hours, the meat will have fallen right off the bones but you still need to strain out the bones and stuff. I find that the easiest way to do this is to line a metal colander with cheesecloth (it's only like $1 for several sheets!), pour the stock through and then pick out the meat with a fork. I'm sure there's a more elegant solution, but I'm poor and this works. :P

Then, just add in carrots, celery, potatoes, corn, whatever you like in your soup. Sometimes I make it zesty and lemony and add some orzo and egg whites, some weeks I go with the more traditional chicken and rice. Good seasonings to use include the other half of that fresh herb packet you bought (crush sage up and remove thyme and rosemary from their sprigs), parsley and bay leaves.

You'll want to let the soup cook on medium heat for at least an hour or two to let the veggies soften and all the favours get melded yummy together. If you find that your broth is a bit too weak, add in a cube or 3 of chicken bullion.

Making chicken soup is easy and it makes your house all steamy and smell delicious!

Total cost for both meals (which includes lots of leftovers):
    $5 chicken
    $.50 lemon
    $2 spices
    $2 squash/zuccini
    $2 carrots
    $1 celery
    $1-2 rice (I buy it in buuuulk)
    $1.50 mashed potatoes (because come on, you need mashed potatoes to go with chicken and gravy!)
    $1 butter
    ------
    $15, feeds 4! (so go spend all that saved money on credits!)
    HavenDharIosyneValenae
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    This thread is brutal when I'm hungry.  Props on the vegan cheesecake though, I have a recipe for a chai one.

Raw vegan chai cheesecake (very loosely inspired by the Post Punk
    Kitchen’s Raw Strawberry Cheesecake. Also by chai tea.)

Crust

1 1/4 cup raw almonds
    3/4 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
    1/2 tsp salt
    4 pitted, chopped medjool dates

Filling

3 cups raw cashew pieces, soaked for at least 3 hrs
    1/2 cup maple syrup
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    3/4 cup coconut oil, melted
    1/4 tsp ground allspice
    2 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
    2 1/2 tsp ground ginger
    Ground cinnamon for garnish (optional)

Lightly grease a 9 inch pie pan with coconut oil and set aside.

To make the crust:

Pulse almonds, coconut, and salt in a food processor until they become
    crumbs. Add the dates and pulse until all are blended to a sticky
    crumbly clump. Press firmly into the pie pan and toss into the fridge.

To make the filling:

Pulse cashews in food processor until crumbly. Add maple syrup, water,
    lemon juice, vanilla, and spices. Once all are blended, gradually add
    the coconut oil and continue to blend until smooth.

Pour the filling into the crust. Cover with plastic wrap and throw
    into the fridge for at least 4 hours. Sprinkle cinnamon on top for
    presentation, then slice and serve.
    Valenae
    edited March 2013

My Vegetarian Chili

1 Package Soyrizo
    1 Package Morningstar crumbles
    1 Cup Red Beans
    1 Cup Pinto Beans
    1 Cup Black eyed Peas (Minus Fergie...I hate that unicorn)
    1 Cup Peas
    a couple stalks of celery
    2 Whole carrots
    1 Sweet Onion
    3 Bell Peppers, I prefer a green, yellow and a red for color
    1 Package organic vegetable stock, sodium added, it tastes better
    About four fresh tomatoes
    a couple cloves of garlic
    Jalapenos to taste depending on your love for spicy

**Disclaimer I hate measuring, so imagine giant gay handfuls instead of cups.

Seasonings
    Chili Powder, ALOT
    Pepper
    Garlic Salt
    Cumin

Soak the beans overnight in salt water they will swell up a bit, pick off the floaters and shell bits and strain and then run through cold water when done.  IN a large pot take your onions, garlic, vegetables, etcetera and cook them down in a decent amount of butter or butter substitute, you want to sweat them out in just the garlic salt and pepper until they start to caramelize.

Add crumbles and soyrizo and mix it all together nicely, once it starts to smell amazing, add in the stock and the tomatoes that have been finely diced, I have a little wand that purees them but you can use a food processor or by hand, the longer it cooks the better it is.

Pretty much add everything else if I have forgotten anything at this point.  Just toss it on the pot and bring it to a boil whilst stirring it.  Once it comes to a boil turn it to low and put a lid on it, check back every Xanhaal run or so and give it a stir.  If you start it in the afternoon by dinner time, A) Your house will smell like awesome. B.) You will have a nice bowl of chili on your desk while you run around putting out fires set by Daskalos

I didn't make my cornbread today, because im trying to lay off bread, I have enough carbs from the beans.

Enjoy!

PS: Admire my John Deere salt and pepper shaker to the top left of the pot, I love having a John Deere themed kitchen
    TeaniHaydyn
    @Aarbrok, when I make veggie chili in the fall I sub out the tomatoes for pumpkin
    AarbrokValenae
    That sounds really good, ill have to share some of my squash recipes, I have an epic spaghetti squash alfredo.
    There should be a giant Aetolian cookout meet sometime in the summer or something!
    havenbanner2
    HaydynAldricValenae
  • edited March 2013
    @Everybody: I know a big chunk of the playerbase is in college/attended, so I'm always on the lookout for cheap and easy stuff to make. +1 if it's stuff that can be thrown together using only a microwave or is no-cook!

@Aarbrok - I never knew that vegetarian food could sound so delicious. Dear god.

EDIT: Whoops. Missed Moirean's post!
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
    Lazy Pot Roast:
    -----------------------

A crock pot (check a place like Target or Fred Meyers, you can find one for surprisingly cheap - I got mine on sale for $20 and it's one of the best investments I've made)

5ish pounds beef - you'll want the right type of cut. Typically this is a shoulder cut. Key words to look for are chuck or brisket. A good rule of thumb is that it's likely gonna be the cheapest type of beef for sale - it'll be a big chunk and it's a good deal tougher than a steak. However, the process of braising makes the meat fork-cuttingly tender! Pot roast is a great money saver because of how much cheaper the cut is. (~$1.50-$2 a pound)

Some carrots, onions, potatoes, various other root veggies you want to toss in

Beef broth (2 cans)

Cream of mushroom soup (2 cans)

One packet of dry onion soup (or be cheap like me and buy it in bulk, seriously Winco is the most amazing store in the world)

One packet of gravy mix (optional, but it will be aweeesome!)

---------

Now, you can obviously substitute in "real" cooking for some of this, but Aldric wanted an easy and cheap recipe, so here you go! This is a complete hit it and forget it meal.

1. Trim any fat off the beef
    2. Coat the cut in the dry onion soup
    3. Chuck the chuck into your crock pot
    4. Add the soup and broth
    5. Cook on low for ~6-8 hours or high for ~2-3 hours - use a fork to determine when the meat is done. When it flakes off in mmmmm fork tender chunks, you're good. Go bash Xaanhal a few times.
    6. With about 30 minutes to go, toss in your veggies and potatoes (or boil em mash em stick em in a ste-- ahem)
    7. When meat is ready, remove it and veggies and set on a plate/platter
    8. Pour in the packet of gravy mix and whisk until mixed.

Serve to people and pretend you spent hours in the kitchen.

Cost:
    --------
    Meat - $10
    Potatoes - <$1 (you can get a 10 pound bag for $2-3 and if you are using all 10 pounds I am worried)
    Carrots - $1
    Onion soup - $1
    Cream of mushroom soup - $2
    Beef broth - $1
    Onion - $.25
    Gravy mix - $1

Total: ~$17
    Feeds 4 with leftovers

• edited March 2013
    I usually buy my generic seasonings and garlic mashed potato mixes at Big Lots. My paprika only cost $0.15 and my mashed potato mix was only $1.50 for two boxes. I can usually find bulk olive oil for around $9.00 and it lasts me forever. Also, if you have an ethnic market in town you can usually get a good deal on fresh spices and fruit. I paid $5 for an entire sleeve of oranges.

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

Moirean
    This is my favorite place to shop: http://www.wincofoods.com/departments/bulk-foods/

You can buy rice for like $1.25 a pound - if you buy a bag at Albertsons or Safeway, a pound of rice will cost you around $5 usually. Dried spices, curry powder, dry soup mix, all of that stuff is super cheap - $5 for a POUND of sage? That's a looooot of sage, whereas one of the nice glass bottles at another store is like $6 and contains a very small amount.

My mom swears by Big Lots. She calls me up and tells me what she got. I'm afraid that one day she'll find youtube and turn into one of those haul people. :/
    Haydyn
    Here is another cheap and easy one for Aldric. You can replace some of these ingredients with home-made stuff (such as your own chicken stock and fresh cream), but here's the lazy version:

Chicken Pot Pie
    ------------------------

2-3 chicken breasts, depending on weight (1 poundsish)
    ---- A note about chicken breasts: if you don't mind trimming the meat yourself, you can buy bone-in split breasts. They are way cheaper (~$2 a pound vs $4 a pound for boneless, skinless; even with the weight of bone/skin factored in, you are getting more meat for your money, rowr) and you can use the trimmings and bones to make stock/broth when you are done.
    2 cups milk
    2 cans cream of chicken soup (or chicken broth and cream, 3:1 ratio)
    1/2 cup flour or bisquick (pancake mix can make filling more creamy!)
    Veggies of your choice: peas, carrots, potatoes, broccoli, celery, etc, 1/2 cup of each should be fine - warning, go LIGHT on carrots, as they can take over this dish if you use too many
    Salt, pepper, some spices, such as sage, rosemary, parsely
    Either more flour/pancake mix for the top or pie crust (make or buy). The first is more dense and a bit bready, while the second is thin and flaky

If using potatoes, slice and boil them until they are nearly tender
    Saute up the root veggies in some butter or olive oil until they are just starting to become tender. I like to toss in some garlic.
    Add the chicken, cut into cubes
    Cook chicken VERY briefly, only 2-3 minutes, until exterior is white
    Mix in the soup (or stock/cream) and flour/pancake mix
    Stir in a pinch of salt and pepper, and some rosemary and sage (remember that dried herbs go a long way compared to fresh ones!)
    Let simmer for several minutes, then pour into a casserole dish

For the topping, unroll a pie crust and plop it on (or make it yourself if you are a masochist). Remember to cover the edges with foil after about 15 minutes to stop them from burning.
    For the breadier topping, mix 2 cups pancake mix with 2 cups water. Mix in some rosemary if you wanna get fancy.

Bake 35-45 minutes, at 400, until the top is golden brown and yummy. With 10 minutes to go, you can glaze the top with some olive oil mixed with rosemary and sage, if you like, for a yummy extra bit of flavor.

Sorry if measurements aren't exact, I tend to tweak stuff as I go when I cook and just adjust based on how the dish is turning out. :P
    Haydyn
    For any of you that make your own maki, I diced up a mango, added a bit of honey, and 3 dried chili's, and then ran it through the food processor.  After that I heated it up with a tsp of sesame oil and brushed it on my sweet potato & avocado maki before rolling.  Turned out to be awesome!  

• EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
      Zer0's Definitely Heretical Microwave Cake

all measurements in tablespoons
    1 butter
    1 water
    1 cocoa
    2 sugar *For best results, use caster (superfine) sugar
    2 self raising flour  *for brownies, use non-SR flour

1: Melt butter in a coffee mug. Should only need 20 seconds or so in microwave.
    2: Mix in all other ingredients. Use a teaspoon. Also do it gradually to avoid lumps.
    3: Microwave for 90 seconds.
    4: Enjoy delicious heresy.

AarbrokMoirean