The Aetolian Blood Bowl League

SeirSeir Seein' All the ThingsGetting high off your emotion
Hey all,

While I haven't been around in Aetolia, the Delve Discord has been organizing a Blood Bowl League. So far, we have four entries and four prospective, but I'd like to get at least 12-16 teams if possible for the season.

Some of you may ask, "Seir, what is Blood Bowl?"
Blood Bowl is a a classic table top game by Games Workshop that has been around since the 80's. Indeed, it is older than many of our players (including myself by three or four years). The game itself is a mix of turn-based strategy, Warhammer Fantasy, American Football, blood sport, and Rugby. As strange as that sounds, it is a comical and fun game. How long it has been around lends to its persisting popularity through the decades. In essence, you create a team based on a race (like Wood Elves, Undead, Skaven, etc.) and they each have stats, starting skills, and playing styles that make them unique. Your players are persistent, can be named whatever, you have your own team name, and more. Your players can develop into stars, but are more likely to die or get retired early due to injury. Indeed, while your players can skill up, they can also take injuries or even die on the pitch. Deaths are permanent in Blood Bowl, as are some injuries, so it helps not to get too attached to your players. Yet, for all that, it is still a really fun game. More information on the game can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_Bowl

But Seir, that's a board game and it costs money... How are you going to all play each other?
There is an online web version called FUMBBL that just requires a web browser and Java. In essence, if you can run Mudlet, you can run FUMBBL and it removes a lot of the needless drudgery by comparison to the tabletop board game. Best of all, FUMBLL is free and where we'll be coordinating our season. If you want information on FUMBLL, just head over to www.fumbll.com.

This sounds like it's gonna take a lot of time, Seir...
Not at all. Most matches last about an hour at most and you'd only be expected to play one match a week, which can be organized when you and your designated opponent for the week decide to play it. If you need to reschedule, we can work something out.

The game sounds complicated...
It does at first, but it's a game best learned by doing. For example, @Karhast is a brand new player to the game and has taken to it like a moth to a flame in only a day. It's very easy to learn, but hard to master. Naturally, I've been doing training games with our newer players to help introduce them to the game. I will explain the basics in a training match and I will of course help anyone in making their first team. We will have lots of new players in this league, so Kodaza and I will endeavour to help out all of you.

Alright, it sounds neat, what's the structure of the "league" and will there be prizes?
The League will have a few weeks, much like the NFL, where we have a regular season and players will go against one another trying to accrue wins. Depending on how many teams we get, there will be a limited number of spots available to those who win the most games and thus go to the playoffs. The playoffs will be a knockout tournament until we get two teams who will play each other for the championship game (which I'll just call the Aetolia Bowl). The winner of the Aetolia Bowl will win a free Steam game courtesy of me and their team will win some additional perks.

Where is this gonna be organized?
The League details will be organized on Fumbll itself, but I'll be coordinating information and events via the Delve Discord's #BloodBowl channel. If you're not a member of the Free City of Delve Discord, you're welcome to join. We have a healthy number from both Spirit and Shadow sides of the game, and I run the place like Switzerland. There are a few rules, and they're pinned on the Discord's banner. Essentially, treat each other well and you'll have no problems from the mod team. In the spirit of fairness, the mods are from both sides of the game. If you'd like to join our Discord to talk about the league or talk in general, an invitation link is here: https://discord.gg/zPmZAh

I hope to obtain a few more players from this invite, and I've already extended a promising invitation to players from other IRE games. A few individuals have expressed interest. If the league goes well, I'd like to make it a persistent thing. For those of you who decide to play, whether experienced or new, I look forward to playing with you. The only thing it costs is time!

Comments

• TiurTiur Producer
    Um... I want to join, but I also need to work..
  • SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    Tiur said:

Um... I want to join, but I also need to work..

That's fine. The games are an average of one day a week, and you can work with your opponent on when the best times for both of you to play are. As League Commissioner, I will definitely ensure that I can be as flexible as possible. @Tiur, just create your team on Fumbbl, and forum PM me the name of it, and I'll invite it to the league.
    edited August 2017
    So as of right now, we officially have eight teams in TABBL (the Aetolian Blood Bowl League), with two more expected once they create their teams and submit them to me. The current teams are as follows:

Team Name/Team Race/Coach:
    Bludgy Stubblebluds/Orcs/Elanth
    Blueberry Bombshell Babes/Amazons/Phoenecia
    Flawdancers/Wood Elves/Carmain of Achaea
    Gash Kadrak Raveners/Chaos Dwarves/Kodaza
    Nine Feet Under/Necromantic Horrors/Seir
    Pools' Patchworks/Khemri Tomb Lords/Tiur
    Squidtooth Lizards/Lizardmen/Xavin
    Squishy Hugs/Nurgle/Pazradym

I'm expecting at least two more submissions from both Karhast and Dysia to get us to 10. However, getting at least sixteen teams would be ideal. However, I'd settle for 12!

In any event, both Tiur and Elanth have learned the game now and Tiur has found it to be very addicting with the player development aspect after games and both have found it fun and relatively simple to pick up too! Anyone is welcome to submit a team. You can head into the Delve Discord above to get help making a team or you can shoot me a PM to get the necessary information. Anyone is welcome to join us in playing. To reiterate, the winner of the season will get a game from Steam and bragging rights. I'll also be posting updates on this thread throughout the season on how the respective teams are doing.
  • I'll admit, I had no idea what Blood Bowl was, until reading this thread.

Now I'm intrigued.
    Now with 253% more Madness.
    Cute-Kelli by @Sessizlik.
    Seir
    edited August 2017
    Kelliara said:

I'll admit, I had no idea what Blood Bowl was, until reading this thread.

Now I'm intrigued.

It is the most frustrating yet fun game ever. The dice god is cruel, and will sometimes curse you with ones. Sometimes, he will give you the most ridiculous rolls ever in a good way. Still, it's fun and I've gotten quite a few folks hooked on just one game alone. I will post a video from the vidja game (not the version we'll be using) to give people an idea of what Blood Bowl is like.

• Oh good. The video is Skaven, which incidentally was the team I was thinking of making/taking/whatever.
  • KodazaKodaza Los Angeles
    My sleep schedule is weird and I want an opponent! Pls message

Kelliara said:

Oh good. The video is Skaven, which incidentally was the team I was thinking of making/taking/whatever.

Skaven are an agile team. Very agile. I was streaming a game versus a Dark Elf team last night with my Skaven team in another league. Unfortunately, the dice rolls were not kind to me... like at all, so I had a lot of situations that should've been "safe" that ultimately lead to my opponent getting a 2 - 1 game with a lucky pass at the last turn of the game. Still, it was a fun game to spectate.
    I'd also like to announce that we have two new teams officially joining TABBL, with potentially two more on the way.

Representing one of the two possible Skaven teams, we have Kelliara who is coaching the (tentatively named) Rat'sLife. Skaven teams are lightning-fast scorers, though a wee bit on the fragile side.

Representing one of the two possible Dwarven teams, we have Karhast who is coaching the Bearded Potatoes. Dwarven teams aren't known for speed, but they hit hard and slowly move the ball up the pitch while bludgeoning their opposition out of the way.

We have Dysia and potentially Tenshyo creating their teams to round us off at 12 teams, thus achieving my desired minimum. I would still love to get 16 teams total ultimately, but I am content with 12. If you wish to join, do feel free to head to Fumbbl.com, make a team, and PM me your team name and I'll send you a League invite. You are currently welcome to create any race. I will only put a limit on races once we have two of the same race in the League.
    edited August 2017
    As league commissioner of The Aetolian Blood Bowl League (TABBL), I'm proud to announce that Season I has officially begun and the schedules determined. For our first year, we have eleven teams entering with the goal of taking home the prize of the Ankyrean Cup. Our eleven teams, and their illustrious coaches, are as follows:
    • Fuzzy Funnies (Dwarves) coached by Karhast
    • Bludgy Stubblebluds (Orcs) coached by Elanth
    • Flawdancers (Wood Elves) coached by Carmain of Achaea
    • Gash Kadrak Raveners (Chaos Dwarves) coached by Kodaza
    • Go Fetch! (Necromantic Horrors) coached by Dysia
    • Nine Feet Under (Necromantic Horrors) coached by Seir
    • Pools' Patchworks (Khemri Tomb Lords) coached by Tiur
    • Rat'sLife (Skaven) coached by Kelliara
    • Squidtooth Lizards (Lizardmen) coached by Xavin
    • Squishy Hugs (Nurgle) coached by Pazradym
    The top five teams in the league will move on to the playoffs and compete for the Ankyrean Cup in a knockout format. The regular season will take place over eleven weeks, with one team receiving a free BYE week each week. The schedule for week one will be posted shortly.

Rules for the season are that the scheduled coaches must make an effort to schedule their game at whenever is convenient for the two of them. Organization can be done via the Discord or the Aetolian forums. If, for some reason, a player does not participate and misses their scheduled match, a win will be awarded to the coach who put in the most effort to schedule. Conceding is not allowed unless absolutely necessary, and a message is expected to the Commissioner just explaining why. Real life always takes priority. If it's allowed in the rules, it's allowed in the game. Keep it classy.

Lastly, TABBL is operating under two homebrew rules in the spirit of fairness:
    - The agility skill Sneaky Git will send a player that is caught fouling to the KO box instead of casualty box, allowing them to potentially rejoin the game.
    - The strength skill Piling On will not stack with any other abilities that modify armour or injury rolls.

Good luck everyone!
    edited August 2017
    Week One of TABBL:
    • Squidtooth Lizards vs. Pools' Patchworks
    • Nine Feet Under vs. Bludgy Stubblebluds
    • Go Fetch! vs. Rat'sLife
    • Bearded Potatoes vs. Blueberry Bombshell Babes
    • Squishy Hugs vs. Gash Kadrak Raveners
    • BYE: Flawdancers
    From this point on, and in the spirit of making the league as amusing as possible, I'll be commentating week-by-week in the spirit of TABBL's two commentators: Grublik Bloodfist, a former Black Orc player, and Hector Vildenhoff, a former human catcher turned commentator after losing one of his eyes on the pitch.

Good luck this week, coaches!
    So Phoe had to withdrawal, so we're having 10 teams in this league. Karhast has also redone his Dwarven team and they are now the Fuzzy Funnies. Our schedule for this week is as thus:
    • Squidtooth Lizards vs. Pools' Patchworks
    • Nine Feet Under vs. Bludgy Stubblebluds
    • Fuzzy Funnies vs. Rat'sLife
    • Go Fetch! vs. Gash Kadrak Raveners
    • Squishy Hugs vs. Flawdancers
    edited August 2017
    Results for this Week. (Will be edited as games are played)
    • (L) Squidtooth Lizards - 0 vs. (W) Pools' Patchworks - 2
    • (D) Nine Feet Under - 0 vs. (D) Bludgy Stubblebluds - 0
    • (W) Fuzzy Funnies - 1 vs. (L) Rat'sLife - 0
    • (L) Go Fetch! - 0 vs. (W) Gash Kadrak Raveners - 3
    • (W) Squishy Hugs - 1 vs. (L) Flawdancers - 0
  • edited August 2017
    I'll get you next time...

KodazaHavenVashXenia
  • Yeahhhhh...

Kelliara said:

I'll get you next time...

Honestly, your worst casualty in that match was an injured linemen. I'd say versus a Dwarf team, that's pretty good for Skaven.
  • Seir said:

Honestly, your worst casualty in that match was an injured linemen. I'd say versus a Dwarf team, that's pretty good for Skaven.

I'm probably not even gonna replace him. Her. It?

As soon as it's back on its feet, I'm going to pop it back into the lineup and just keep playing with it until it dies horribly heroically single-handedly trying to stop some monstrous whatever going for one of my more vaulable vulnerable players.
    Vash
    edited August 2017
    Kelliara said:

Seir said:

I'm probably not even gonna replace him. Her. It?

As soon as it's back on its feet, I'm going to pop it back into the lineup and just keep playing with it until it dies horribly heroically single-handedly trying to stop some monstrous whatever going for one of my more vaulable vulnerable players.

Him, more than likely. Female Skaven don't... generally have very kind fates, lore wise.

Also, Obs and I just had the most uneventful game ever. Turns out, rainy weather doesn't uh... favor two teams with generally poor ball handling skills. The amount of times we all fumbled just to pick it up. It pretty much just went into a bash-a-thon with all KOs and no casualties. One of Obs' Orcs did get a fatality on a zombie off the bat, but it regenerated and came back to life.
    edited August 2017
    Narrator: Ladies and gentlemen, good evening. Welcome to NBC Sports, the Necromancers Broadcasting Circle. We here at NBC Sports are proud to bring you the finest in minor league Blood Bowl sports and tonight ends the first week of TABBL, the Aetolian Blood Bowl League. Here to cover the bloody, gritty details of the league's first week are our two analysts: seven-time MVP and former catcher of the Middenheim Marauders, Hector Vildenhoff and his co-host, former Black Orc Blitzer and two-time winner of Grotty Gitz Magazine's "Da Sexiezt Ork Evar" award, Grublik Bloodfist.

Grublik: Oy. Ere' we go, you grobby littl' gitz. Welcom' to da first season of TABLE, or TABBL. Aww, who da 'ell carez. IT'S BLOOD BOWL.

Hector: Well... said, my fine friend. Welcome to the first season of the Aetolian Blood Bowl league. My fine co-host and I are here to provide you, the eager, bloodthirsty spectators, with fine coverage of the first week of the league. Without further ado, let's get to it, shall we Grublik?

Grublik: Ya. I gotz stuffz to do. Letz make dis quick.

Hector: First off, let's cover this week's statistics. In the winner's column, we have the Squishy Hugs, Gash Kadrak Raveners, the Fuzzy Funnies, and the Pools' Patchworks. In the draw column, we have Nine Feet Under and the Bludgy Stubbl---

Grublik: GAH. WHAT KIND OF ORK TEAM SETTLES FOR A DRAW. DID THEY AT LEAST KILL SUMFIN?

Hector: Believe they killed one of the zombie players for Nine Feet Under, Grublik, but it promptly came back to life.

Grublik: Gah. Guess that's sumfin. Anywayz, in the losah collum dis week, we gots Go Fetch!, Rat'sLife, Squidtoof Lizardz, and the Flawdancahs. Dem pointy ears got slaughtah'd.

Hector: That they did, my friend. The Flawdancers took the most in number and likely the most severe fatalities this week, losing one of their starting Wardancers, Kiet, and Chiam, their starting thrower. We've been made to understand that funeral arrangements for the two players will be held in Athel Loren this week, and some other ceremony in a place that none of us ever heard of called, uh... Mindor? Mordor? ... Mhaldor? Mhaldor. That's it.

Grublik: Wat kind of git named dat place?

Hector: Hell if I know, Grublik. In any event, do we have any star performances for this week?

Grublik: Uh... yea. Sez ere we gotz this week's MVP with uh... ych, dem chaos stunty gitz, the Gash Kad-sumthin Ravenahs. Sez ere dat dis week's MVP is Karash da Stampede. a Bull Centaur who earned MVP of 'is game, scored a touchdown, AND managed to maim a git in Go Fetch!.

Hector: Sounds like someone to watch this season, Grublik.

Grublik: Bah. A stunty git team is still a stunty git team. I want to see MORE GREENSKIN VIOLENCE.

Hector: Haha. No doubt, my friend. I am sure the Bludgy Stubblebluds and Nine Feet Under will have a more interesting game this week rather than a bloodsoaked romp in the rain.

Grublik: Ya. Who carez if you can't pick up da ball, jus' murder the other git.

Hector: Indeed. Well, ladies and gentlemen, thank you for joining us on our first week's coverage of TABBL. Stay tuned for the standings and join us next week for more coverage of TABBL.

Thank you for watching NBC Sport's coverage of TABBL. TABBL is brought to you Zombway. Zombway, Eat Flesh.
    PazradymVash
    Current Standings for TABBL after Week 1:
    • Gash Kadrak Raveners (1/0/0)
    • Squishy Hugs (1/0/0)
    • Pools' Patchworks (1/0/0)
    • Fuzzy Funnies (1/0/0)
    • Bludgy Stubblebluds (0/1/0)
    • Nine Feet Under (0/1/0)
    • Rat'sLife (0/0/1)
    • Squidtooth Lizards (0/0/1)
    • Flawdancers (0/0/1)
    • Go Fetch! (0/0/1)
  • TiurTiur Producer
    I will write a letter to NBC for not giving proper respect to Radius, the Skeleton Thrower who not only managed to pick up a ball (something no skeleton should be able to do), but scored twice and became a Leader. So much disrespect, wasn't even MVP of his own game.
    Seir
  • Tiur said:

I will write a letter to NBC for not giving proper respect to Radius, the Skeleton Thrower who not only managed to pick up a ball (something no skeleton should be able to do), but scored twice and became a Leader. So much disrespect, wasn't even MVP of his own game.

It's okay. We'll see about giving proper 'respect' to Radius and his skill in future matches.

He's undead right? You can put him back together if he meets with an unfortunate 'accident' on the pitch?
    Seir
    Kelliara said:

Tiur said:

It's okay. We'll see about giving proper 'respect' to Radius and his skill in future matches.

He's undead right? You can put him back together if he meets with an unfortunate 'accident' on the pitch?
    Nine Feet Under intends to make sure that Radius doesn't have to worry about missing the highlight reel this week... as a victim.
    edited August 2017
    Kelliara said:

Tiur said:

Undead teams (and Nurgle, who isn't 'undead' technically) can't obtain apothecaries to get one injury reroll per game. Instead, most of their players come with a skill called Regeneration. If the player gets hurt and injured (e.g.: badly hurt, niggling injury, miss a game, -stat, or death), then they roll a 1d6 for Regeneration. If the result is a 4+ (50% chance), the player gets no injuries and is sent to the reserves box instead of the injury box, and thus able to return in the next drive.
  • TiurTiur Producer
    You heard it here, folks, Nine Feet Under put out a hit on an innocent skeleton who rose above his peers to attempt to become a leader.
    Seir
    edited August 2017
    Schedule and Results for Week 2 (Will be updated as games are played)
    • (L) Gash Kadrak Raveners (1/0/1) - 0 vs. (W) Squishy Hugs (2/0/0) - 1
    • (W) Fuzzy Funnies (2/0/0) - 2 vs. (L) Go Fetch! (0/0/2) - 0
    • (W) Rat'sLife (1/0/1) - 2 vs. Flawdancers (0/0/2) - 0
    • (L) Pools' Patchworks (1/0/1) - 0 vs. (W) Nine Feet Under (1/1/0) - 2
    • (W) Bludgy Stubblebluds (1/1/0) - 1 vs. (L) Squidtooth Lizards (0/0/2) - 0
    Tiur said:

You heard it here, folks, Nine Feet Under put out a hit on an innocent skeleton who rose above his peers to attempt to become a leader.

Worth noting that Tiur's skeleton thrower did not die this week. Though, a fair amount of his players got knocked out.
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Almost my entire team, you mean. But that innocent skeleton survived. He is still a great leader, if one that leads us straight into taking naps.
    edited August 2017
    Narrator: Ladies and gentlemen, good evening and welcome to the Necromantic Broadcasting Circle's sports coverage of TABBL, the Aetolian Blood Bowl League. As always, our expert coverage is provided by six-time Orc porn star and hall-of-famer Black Orc Blitzer Grublik Bloodfist and his co-analyst former Middenheim Marauder catcher Hector "the Hoff" Vildenhoff.

Hector: Indeed, indeed! Welcome again, stunties and beastkin alike, to another week of NBC Sport's coverage of the finiest in minor league Blood Bowl. That's right, we're here to provide YOU with the latest events after Week 2 of the Aetolian Blood Bowl League. Shall we get started Grublik?

Grublik: Wot. Oh, ya. Let'z get dis goin.

Hector: To kick us off, we're proud to announce that there were zero draws this week. Indeed, it seems the coaches have begun to set themselves apart from the rest of the pack. In this week's winner column, we've got the Fuzzy Funnies, Nine Feet Under, Rat'sLife, the Bludgy Stubblebluds, and the Squishy Hugs. Speaking of the Squishy Hugs, Grublik, I think there were some fans upset with the performance of the Gash Kadrak Raveners late in the second half?

Grublik: Oi. Ya... Ok, look 'ere, I may not be da sharpest choppa of them all, but even I know that yous gotta go in da endzone and score to win in Blood Bowl.

Hector: Indeed, my friend. As we can see in our replay footage, Snarkgrin, with ball in hand and no pressure whatsoever, appears to have the "bold" strategy of waiting right before the end zone and allowing the clock to run out instead of, you know, scoring to bring the game to a draw.

Grublik: Heh heh, the dumb git. Deys not proper gobbos anyway. No self-respectin' gobbo, if there is one, would ever play with those stunty, bearded gits.

Hector: Believe they're enslaved and don't have much of a choice in the matter, Grublik.

Grublik: Gah. Who carez? Anywayz, sez 'ere in dis report from the Ravenahs that the Snarkgrin was beaten half to death personally by his coach... and half of the team after the match.

Hector: Definitely not a time to be calling for the emancipation of hobgoblin kind. Best to do that activist work off the pitch.

Grublik: Emanci-wot? Gah, who carez. They still lost. In the loser's column this week, we got da Gash Kadrak Ravenahz, Poolz' Patchworkz, Go Fetch!, the Squidtoof Lizards, and dem Flawdancer pointy-ear'd gitz.

Hector: Ah yes. Speaking of murder, how did the Flawdancers do anyway?

Grublik: Heh heh. Not very gud, Hoff, their other Wardancer is down dis week too. Sadly, the git ain't dead. He's just out for da next week.

Hector: Losing two Wardancers in the first two weeks is a pretty large wound for a Wood Elf coach. At the very least, the Coach will have some inducements to fall back on next week until he can afford some new ones. Speaking of injuries, how were casualties this week, Grublik?

Grublik: We 'ad seven gitz eat da turf dis week, Hoff. At least two of dem dead fer gud.

Hector: Who bit the dust, my friend?

Grublik: We 'ad Erik da Bloated from Squishy Hugs bite da dust. Ain't surprisin. Dem Nurgle rotter gitz are only good for dyin' most of the da time anywayz. Da other one wuz Milo, one of dem zombies over in Go Fetch! Same 'ing, really. Zombiez are made for dyin'. Tho, deyz gud for puntin' an' passin' practice if you can knock der heads off.

Hector: Ahaha. Aye, aye, Grublik. We got anything else to cover for the week?

Grublik: Na. Will say it wuz gud to see dem Stubblebludz come back to win a match dis week like propah orcz. Good job, boyz.

Hector: Indeed. Before we go, let's announce this week's players of the game, shall we?

Grublik: Gah. Fine. Hurry it up tho, I gotz a date with dis pointy-ear'd witch broad.

Hector: A... Witch Elf, Grublik? You know they're sadis--- you know what? You have fun, friend. In any event, our MVP this week comes from Rat'sLife and one of their Gutter Runners, Khrek. As you can see in our game play footage, Khrek made an impressive two touchdowns, with thirty six total yards of rushing, AND he properly won MVP of his game. Interestingly enough, he won MVP last week as well. Gutter Runners can develop into terrifying players, so he'll be another to keep an eye on, for sure.

Grublik: Gah. Rat gitz. Gotta knock em' down gud and propah... which meanz youz gotta make sure dey never get up again!

Hector: Spoken like a true Black Orc Blitzer, my friend. In any event, I am Hector Vildenhoff.

Grublik: An' I'm Grublik BLOODFIST. We'll see youz gitz next week for more BLOOD BOWL COVERAGE. Now, if youz will git outta my way, I'm gonna go court me a pointy-ear.

Narrator: Thank you for joining us at NBC Sports for Week 2 coverage of the Aetolian Blood Bowl League. Stay tuned for the current standings and schedule for next week. NBC Sports is brought to you by Orcidas. Orcidas, "da red shoez make you runs fastah."
    KodazaVash
    Current Standings for TABBL after Week 2:
    • Fuzzy Funnies (2/0/0)
    • Squishy Hugs (2/0/0)
    • Bludgy Stubblebluds (1/1/0)
    • Nine Feet Under (1/1/0)
    • Gash Kadrak Raveners (1/0/1)
    • Pools' Patchworks (1/0/1)
    • Rat'sLife (1/0/1)
    • Squidtooth Lizards (0/0/2)
    • Flawdancers (0/0/2)