Ser Chatty the domineering Carnifex knight

not posted one of these yet, and i thought this one was kinda interesting. just one of those weird, unexpected things that sometimes happen. side benefit: might help a few people understand where vyx is at these days, at least a little bit. edited it slightly to remove spam, but otherwise text is untouched (including at least one typo bleh).

SCENE: vyx is standing at Bloody precipice in Bloodloch, reading guild scrolls and a few other things. but suddenly...

A domineering Carnifex knight says, "I heard reading too much can actually make you dumb. Please discuss."

You ask a domineering Carnifex knight, "Where did you hear that?"

A domineering Carnifex knight looks to you with curiosity in his eyes, "I hear a lot of things as people pass through the halls," he admits before adding, "If they do not seem a threat, I hardly ask their names."

You have emoted: Vyxsis chuckles softly. "Fair enough. I ask because it is a surprising sentiment, at least in my opinion." She considers a domineering Carnifex knight for a moment. "It likely depends on what one is reading, though. Spend too much time ingesting that 'Revelation' nonsense, and it is likely to melt your brain a little."

A domineering Carnifex knight clicks his tongue on the roof of his mouth, the sound echoing around his helm before it is muffled beneath his voice, "You hear a lot about the 'Revelation' through training - though I have not read it myself," though a grin cannot be seen under his headgear, it can be heard as he adds, "I suppose I would not want to, if it is to melt my brain."

With a tone of indifference, a domineering Carnifex knight asks, "What do you think of the 'Revelation', aside from the brain-melting?"

You have emoted: "Well, I said if you spent too much time with it, but I doubt reading in moderation would harm you too much." Working her mandibles a bit, Vyxsis says, "My thoughts on the 'Revelation' are... well, I was until a few weeks ago the Arch-Prelate of the Illuminai, if you can believe it." Unable to see the expression beneath the helm, she laughs a touch nervously. "It purports that the Age of Dawn is coming, in which all light will be extinguished, as you have likely heard. Considering whether this was, in fact, a desireable outcome is part of what led me here. So, I would mostly say I am not a fan, with all due respect to Sahmie and the late Lord Rahn."

Laughingly, you say to a domineering Carnifex knight, "Pardon, I misspoke. All shadow is to be extinguished in the Age of Dawn. Maybe I have already spent too much time with the 'Revelation'."

"I was going to say, if that were the Age of Dawn then it would have passed already when light WAS extinguished," a domineering Carnifex knight responds, his voice carrying over the sound of metal on metal as he moves closer to you, "When the late Lady Auresae died, before Fire was Reborn as Ethne, when the Luminaries and Daru, now Illuminai, lost their sparks," his voice drops now as he stops a few feet from you, "I must admit, feeling so much darkness was a comfort and a high. Perhaps an Age of Shadow should be foretold."

The plume on a domineering Carnifex knight's helm sways as he turns his head to focus entirely on you, "I would not have believed you were Arch-Prelate, had you not told me, no."

You have emoted: She nods slowly a few times, causing her antennae to lazily wave through the air. "I was yet to exist during that Age of Midnight, as the Illuminai call it, but I can certainly say I would not mind the sparks going cold - much less troublesome to fight them, then," Vyxsis says impishly. "No idea whether an Age of Shadow ought to be foretold, though I am inclined not to embrace such fatalistic views of causality that prophecies imply. A certain amount of uncertainty, chaos, cannot be entirly purged from things." With a soft sigh: "As for being Arch-Prelate, it is likely a bit strange. Most of my citymates and allies were shocked, although I had spoken to a few of my growing doubts. We each come from somewhere, though, and at least I have managed to find my way against all odds."

A grunt is the only response a domineering Carnifex knight offers for a while, as if allowing time for your words to sink in. Finally, he says in a quiet voice that barely makes it past the gaps of his helm, "Continuing to learn and strive for more - to question the world - to grow both as individuals..." his voice ebbs into nothing as his head tilts up towards your antenna, "And as a hive. That is what counts. Fighting for your beliefs. There is honor in that."

A domineering Carnifex knight turns to walk back towards his post, "You give me things to think about, uh--" his eyes, although unseen, can be felt settling on you, "I do not know your name. But, thank you for providing company and food for thought."

[Think:] Funny, I cannot recall a guard ever speaking to me, certainly not at such length. No complaints, but I am a touch curious how I attracted this man's attention.

You have emoted: Vyxsis gives a domineering Carnifex knight a slight bow. "I am called Vyxsis. What may I call you?"

[Think:] And this one is a touch of an intellectual, it seems like. I wonder who he is.

"We leave names behind once we commit to the guard, Vyxsis," a domineering Carnifex knight replies with a hint of remorse, "Stay vigilant. I enjoyed this meeting," and with that, the guard snaps his focus from you, as if to free you from anymore obligation as he returns to his guard duty.

Softly, you say to a domineering Carnifex knight, "Be well, then, Ser Knight."

You have emoted: Falling silent, Vyxsis returns to her reading.
Indoran'i is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)
An Atzob cultist says, "Is a shamatato as tasty as a potato?"
(Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

KelliaraPazradymLinMarienaXeniaVashRazerDeandra

Comments

• ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    This was a fun read! A fun little snippet that still shows some character depth for Vyxsis and I always love seeing random mobs hanging out with players for little chats like this! Thanks for posting!
    Vash
  • This was so cool! Interactions like this between a player and a "no-name" NPC are one of my absolute favorite things. Please tell me you kept track of the mob # so you could follow up in the future.

I adore your antennae references. I am always lazy and create human characters.

Thanks for sharing this and a big thumbs up to the person behind the NPC!
    Typically In Game: JST (GMT+9) 6AM-8AM and 6PM-10PM
    Vyxsis
  • VyxsisVyxsis Vyxsis
    @Vash it's a guard at a spot i stand at pretty regularly, so we see each other. not so chatty lately, though.
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)
    An Atzob cultist says, "Is a shamatato as tasty as a potato?"
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

VashDeandra