Aetolia, Latin and You.

A lot of good and really, really bad Latin being thrown around Aetolia. You don't know Latin you say? Well here you go. From the Catholics, the modern kings of Latin.

http://archives.nd.edu/latgramm.htm

Some of the links like Whitaker's Words are also extremely useful containing more words, though less accurate in slip translation, not that that matters for Aetolia.

Educate your mind and learn the routes of thousands of words while spicing up Aetolia a little.
Haven

Comments

• Trouble is that some of it has been around so freakin' long that it's an ingrained part of the lore now. I'm looking at you, haern-speak*.

*haern-speak has largely fallen out of disuse due to an order that mostly wasn't around in its heyday and an admin that seems to have a disdain for its almost ooc nature.

• LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    edited January 2013
    The modern Haern we know and love doesn't use it, and most signs of its existence (in the room descs of old!Duiran) are gone now. I think it's something only the diehards will cling on to.

Now if we could just ditch Illumine, I'd be happy.
    ErzsebetArbre
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    Why ditch illumine?

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

'CAUSE IT SOUNDS DUMB.
    LunaAmaraErzsebetArbre
  • SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    No u
    Lin
  • edited January 2013
    Lin said:
    Or hey, better yet, quit using a language that doesn't exist in Aetolia!
    Or, hey, better yet - let's stop trying to police other people's game play. If you don't want to participate in using latin - don't. Latin used to be a part of guild scrolls in the Druids when I first started. My old main still has a latin suffix. I don't see a problem with incorporating something  that has already been evident in the game for 5+ years. Using Latin is not really impeding on any interactions. Tbh if you have a Latin suffix or prefix I don't see a dire harm and/or impact that could otherwise be avoided.

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

KiyotanAngweTolemyErzsebetArbreAryanneMephistoles
  • AlistaireAlistaire Las Vegas, Nevada
    Yeah, Lin. How dare you insist people do things that actually exist in Aetolia!
    Aryanne
  • KiyotanKiyotan spectacular vernacular Summit of the Falconmount
    edited January 2013
    Also, Illumine is a completely in-character created language. It is nothing at all like taking an OOC language and incorporating it into Aetolia. Caeli worked very hard on creating actual and legitimate linguistic rules for it. You just jelly you can't learn it.
    Some may say we've lost our way, but I believe we've not gone far enough.
    ArbreAryanne
  • Alistaire said:
    Yeah, Lin. How dare you insist people do things that actually exist in Aetolia! 
    Wut 

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

edited January 2013
    Valenae said:
    Lin said:
    Or, hey, better yet - let's stop trying to police other people's game play. If you don't want to participate in using latin - don't. Latin used to be a part of guild scrolls in the Druids when I first started. My old main still has a latin suffix. I don't see a problem with incorporating something  that has already been evident in the game for 5+ years. Using Latin is not really impeding on any interactions. Tbh if you have a Latin suffix or prefix I don't see a dire harm and/or impact that could otherwise be avoided.
    I have this policy of making snarky comments that are so ludicrous that I trust no one will believe they're serious.

Apparently I need to use a /sarcasm or /justjoking tag?

Also, late edit response is late, but: Policing the quality of RP in this game is the reason we have one of the most developed and mature roleplay scenes. We could be like open-world forum or para-RP games, where everyone is treated as a special snowflake and considered virtuous just by roleplaying in the first place, but I like to think that having standards is what sets Aetolia apart from these anything-goes worlds.

And so we're crystal-clear, I'm not claiming that Latin will ruin this game.
    Erzsebet
  • edited January 2013
    Didn't mean to start a debate, just trying to give out a resource. While I agree with in Lin in principle and would like to see something like Kalsu used... I just have to say as far as Consanguine go ICly...

Imperium- command; authority; rule, supreme power; the state, the empire
    Corpus- body; person, self; virility; flesh; corpse; trunk; frame(work); collection/sum substantial/material/concrete object/body; particle/atom; corporation, guild
    Mentis- mind; reason, intellect, judgement; plan, intention, frame of mind; courage;
    Sanguis- blood; family;

Etceteros, etceteros, etceteros... (Et cetera, etc.)
    Calipso
  • It's fairly unavoidable using Latin when one of the guilds is a Latin term. I'm looking at you, Carnifex!
  • edited January 2013
    Mmm yes I have seen Latin phrases used in Aetolia, but i've also seen little hints of other languages too, like Bahir'an's house titles.

I generally just go with the flow.
    Valenae
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    Bahir'an and Ve'kahi house titles are Zoharim's fault, but I think most of them are gone now. I know I personally changed all but two, and I -think- Ve'kahi changed a lot of theirs after the merger thing.
    ErzsebetAryanne
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    Kiyotan said:
    Also, Illumine is a completely in-character created language.
    ...I thought it was Welsh!

• Eleanor said:
    Kiyotan said:
    Also, Illumine is a completely in-character created language.
    ...I thought it was Welsh!
    Pretty sure that Welsh was the haern-speak

Oh, my bad.

• Dreikathin shall be Chinese!

Imagine the pretty symbols and eastern culture! (they are to the east too!) :D
    Seig
  • My mind is rotating around a particular subject. If a new language was introduced into the realm, how would it be made legit if it's blueprint and foundation is based off of a language in the REAL world?

• SPIREANS WILL ONLY SPEAK IN CYRILLIC.
    SeigLinErzsebetAmaraValenae
    Calipso said:
    Dreikathin shall be Chinese!

That was the Nazetu fellas. The Dreikathi hit up the western side of the continent, mostly.

• AlistaireAlistaire Las Vegas, Nevada
    My favorite languages are the ones I can type: Speak (language) and it does it for me. I know, I'm boring. :/
    Haydyn
  • Eleanor said:
    Calipso said:
    Dreikathin shall be Chinese!

That was the Nazetu fellas. The Dreikathi hit up the western side of the continent, mostly.

Actually, I think the Dreikathi came from the east. When they came over on the airships, they came from the coast outside of Delos. I believe the Nazetu came from the west though.

Calipso
  • Ve'kahian isn't a real language--so it doesn't have the same immersion-breaking connotations as latin does IMO, though it WAS originally a direct C/P from some other MUD Zoharim used to play. Which is why the version that's actually used in Ve'kahi isn't the same as the original stuff. >.> Not that anyone speaks it but me, really.

I don't have as much of a problem as Illumine in its current form as I did with Haern-speak and the straight latin stuff like the assorted titles floating around and the password to get into 'kahi's castle in the forest.

I don't think any of it ruins the game, but I'm with Lin, mostly, and would be pleased by a sharp decline in the number of people using the more immersion-breaking ones.

imageimage
  • edited January 2013
    Lin said:
    Valenae said:
    Lin said:
    I have this policy of making snarky comments that are so ludicrous that I trust no one will believe they're serious.

Apparently I need to use a /sarcasm or /justjoking tag?

Also, late edit response is late, but: Policing the quality of RP in this game is the reason we have one of the most developed and mature roleplay scenes. We could be like open-world forum or para-RP games, where everyone is treated as a special snowflake and considered virtuous just by roleplaying in the first place, but I like to think that having standards is what sets Aetolia apart from these anything-goes worlds.

And so we're crystal-clear, I'm not claiming that Latin will ruin this game.
    No, you're claiming that the act of taking a language from the 'real world' and using it in the game is a step in that direction. I've said that I don't understand the reason or impact of that and you have been unable to provide an explanation for either one except for the philosophy that we need to have standards. I told you that I've seen latin used in Druid scrolls and titles when I first started so that did, in fact, stem from the game and not something I was power-searching for on google and that reflects on the comment that we need to use languages 'actually found in Aetolia'. Don't get me wrong - I think we as an rp community should have standards in some cases but I don't think the way you are presenting is correct. 

Expanding on that point, if you look around you'll find words from many different real life culture. That's because, like it or not, complete and total separation is a myth and an unrealistic expectation. Our words are a part of the culture that we take to the game with us. Pointing a finger at Latin in this case seems pretty close to bullying to me. Every person who logs in is a part of the community and has a right to help decide what the 'standards' are. You have a right to say 'I don't like your title' and I have a right to say 'I like my title' and that's about where our rights end. Anything beyond that is a disrespect to the person who put time and effort into their character's backstory. <--- That's the point I'm making. 

However, if there is a guy named ButtFloss who is forced to change his name I support that because the name is a middle finger to the rules. Changing it prevents a trend where other people start naming their characters pretty whacked out things and that's an issue for character immersion. That action has a valid impact since it breaks a majority of character immersion, not just a selected minority as is the case with Latin. So, I think -some- policing is necessary to help Aetolia to grow but anything above that isn't fair to the players and fewer people will stick around. 

HadoryuIllikaalAryanneMephistoles
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    edited January 2013
    The people against latin in Aetolia are more than a small selected minority. Whether we're right or wrong aside, I know twice as many roleplayers who think latin has no place in Aetolia than I do who are neutral, don't care, and/or think it's fine all together.

There is no IC -source- for latin. It doesn't even go the way of Haernspeak to be called something besides Welsh ICly, if someone asks you what language your title is in in-game, there's no in-character answer for it. And that, more than anything else is why I'd consider straight latin titles, passwords, lore, whatever to be a line that shouldn't really be crossed.

Yes, some of our language, being latin-based has strong similarities and/or borrowings from the latin language, and no, you're right in that we aren't going to get around that. But most people look at these words and think english/normal aetolian, not latin, so it's not so big of an immersion break.

ETA: As an aside, Lin isn't on trial and doesn't need to sit here and rebuttal your anger if he doesn't want to. Calling him out personally in the way you did is a bit...edging towards the kind of behavior that gets threads closed.
    imageimage
    SaritaHadoryuAryanne
  • KiyotanKiyotan spectacular vernacular Summit of the Falconmount
    Buttfloss has escaped Slaver's Isle and entered the realm of Aetolia.
    Some may say we've lost our way, but I believe we've not gone far enough.
  • Bork, bork, bork!!

Update: Checking over notes and crap, I was dead wrong!

But still, do we really need more asian influence? It took us forever to sink Ashtan as it is.