Confession Thread 2.0

Comments

• Coryn said:

Atrapoema said:

Coryn said:

I guess my ability to do that comes from WoW...

Tank or healer? If you say Hunter, we can't be friends!

Tank. I DPS'd as either Rogue, or Enh Shaman. I PK'd as Rogue and Shaman. :D
    I played Prot Warrior throughout Cata and then switched to Mistweaver Monk for MoP and Warlords. Quit the game, but god do I miss Mistweaver. One of my favourite healing classes, and I love me some support.
  • CorynCoryn Spokane, Wa
    Ah, yeah, I stopped around May. Which is when I started playing Aetolia again. Might pick up again around the 30th of August though, for about a month. Just to try Legion out.

Healers loved me because I was some sort of a miracle tank. Like, my skill was good but I was super lucky on a lot of things that should've killed me.
    Atrapoema
  • TozToz
    edited July 2016
    Yeah I'm such a badass I can kill people by proxy. All hail CATS.

- I'm not around much lately because IRE games and the lack of consequences bother me
    - I'm playing a permadeath MUD instead, where if I do something stupid I might DIE and have hours/days/weeks of investment ripped away from me
    - There's a very real chance this will become my secondary game for awhile, so long as Carrier stays going, and that's always a weird thing.
    - I probably mudsex better than I pk (laaaadies) because I still manual it (and I consider my system the pker, not me)
    - I have the coding knowledge/experience to write a curing system, but I'm ghosting off of an old version of @Draiman's. I've never relied on one I wrote because I hate doing all the tedious little bits and pieces, my love is bugfixing and tweaking and cussing the previous coder for their failures.
    - I got a pin-up made of an alt to attract RP attention.
    - - It worked
    - - - That Daskalos story where I won the Storytelling Contest is probably like the proudest, most accomplished I've ever felt playing this game, just because everyone telling me OOC how I blew the competition out of the water, and I'd never considered myself a storyteller before.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Teani
  • DraimanDraiman Dr. Drai
    Oh god you must cuss me -a lot-.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

• SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    Draiman said:

Oh god you must cuss me -a lot-.

He doesn't need the system as an excuse to do that! Eh..and now a confession.

- I feel myself starting to lose interest in playing, for a combination of reasons.
    -- I feel bad for this, because I know the game already has so few players during the summer.
    -- I know I won't stop playing, even though I probably should, because of the above reason and my desire to make the game fun for others.

-I hate mirror matches in PK so much that I pretty much just turn on the AI and wait for me to lose.
    --This is because I have flat out out maged both Lim and Mazzion both but still lost due to them just doing more damage because of artifacts.
    ---Also because of old Praenomen mirrors with pre nerf confusion and pre rework blood curse.

-I'm rediculous insecure about my PK ability. This stems from multiple reasons.
    --I've beaten Lim, Varel, Akara, Ezalor, Ashmer, Serrice, Valingar (most still have a better win rate vs me though, some for inactivity reasons >.>), and I always hear how great they are and how OP whatever class I'm using is.
    ---My OP classes consist of Praenomen, Syssin, Ascendril, Sciomancer, all versions of Indorani in the last two years, Templar, Sentinel, and to a lesser extent Carnifex
    ----I'm extremely needy and need validation when it comes to PK. >.>

• JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    I don't know what makes up a softlock and I'd have to look up what trulock is.  Also have no idea what prerestore means.
    Zaila
    That explains Duiran
    AtrapoemaTeaniIllikaal
  • Aishia said:

softlock is when mid battle you and your opponent meet gaze and realize that all this fight really is about is unresolved sexual tension, as your lips softly lock together all your cares melt away and before you know it you're "leaving your knife on their family's doorstop"

This is why RPK can be dangerous.

SaturnineTenshyo
  • Jensen said:

I don't know what makes up a softlock and I'd have to look up what trulock is.  Also have no idea what prerestore means.

A softlock is when your enemy has slickness, asthma and anorexia, preventing them from curing via normal means. Tree tattoo, purity, class skills, etc will still work, though.

A truelock is when you completely and totally eradicate your enemy's abiltiy to cure. Slickness, asthma, anorexia, impatience, paralysis, superstition, etc. Usually impossible due to endgame curing and class curing, both of which can't be stopped.

Prerestore is when you apply restoration to heal limb damage before your limbs are actually broken. Your limbs break at 33% damage, so if you have 15% damage to a limb and apply restoration to that limb, it'll heal that 15% of damage.
    Art by @Phoenecia! Full image available here!
  • TedrunaiTedrunai Immortal
    Endgame curing and active class curing are both stopped by confusion + disrupt. Purity enchantment is stopped by superstition, most class passives are stopped by paralysis. I believe Indorani is the only class that has access to all the affs needed to really truelock (unless Magi have some way of giving impatience, not sure there).
    Illikaal
  • Tedrunai said:

Endgame curing and active class curing are both stopped by confusion + disrupt. Purity enchantment is stopped by superstition, most class passives are stopped by paralysis. I believe Indorani is the only class that has access to all the affs needed to really truelock (unless Magi have some way of giving impatience, not sure there).

Magi can give muddled, which prevents focus curing once. Oscillate tone strike, however, is faster than focus bal, which means that you can keep them from focusing forever -- pretty much the same thing as impatience, but more active.
    Art by @Phoenecia! Full image available here!
  • While I'm glad Shamans don't have the drama of the Sentinels guild, I'm sad that we are so quiet. We are essentially dead, in fact. When I was made HoN, I asked for aides, and out of the handful of people in the guild, no one applied. At a glance, nothing is wrong -- our advancement requirements are fine, we do have people around to help new players, etc. -- it's just that no one seemingly wants to be a guilded Shaman. :|
    Indorani is the only class capable of performing a fully inescapable true lock that doesn't require upkeep (paralysis, disrupt, confusion, impatience, superstition, asthma, slickness, anorexia).

If you lock someone as a mage then o.O

• edited July 2016
    Atrapoema said:

While I'm glad Shamans don't have the drama of the Sentinels guild, I'm sad that we are so quiet. We are essentially dead, in fact. When I was made HoN, I asked for aides, and out of the handful of people in the guild, no one applied. At a glance, nothing is wrong -- our advancement requirements are fine, we do have people around to help new players, etc. -- it's just that no one seemingly wants to be a guilded Shaman. :|

I don't know how helpful this will be, but for a long time the Carnifex was a very small guild. It took Moirean a few years to establish a core set of people (about 4-5) who were Carnifex through and through.

After she was banned and I took over, I had he same issue you do with getting people to be involved as aides. It took me about a year of having to RP at the novices, taking people hunting and pouring lots of gold into funding people. It was disheartening to see some of those investments slip away into dormancy, but after about a year the guild was suddenly booming and the people I'd initially invested in were now the ones perpetuating the activity and growing the guild's player base.

This is nice because I was starting to burn out big time on doing all those things. I'm still shellshocked from having to be so involved with what felt like a large number of players. For a while I was keeping track of each person's personal RP arcs and trying to adapt things around each person so as to make the guild fit to what would make the Carnifex a positive experience. I think it's worked because there are a lot of folks in the guild now who are active, but it's left me feeling drained and now I've devolved into a 'yes/no' man for questions, who sits primarily on a couch dozing in the back room of a bar.

Edit: Grammar so hard.

SolariaAtrapoemaAkaryuterraVash
    She's still working overtime to get me to be active
  • CorynCoryn Spokane, Wa
    -I really want to be good at PK again but the combination of impatience and occasional laziness hinder this greatly.

-I really, really, really envy those that can PK with just tri-trans class skills and some survival/trans survival. Or even less than that. Here I'm sitting on artifacts that make me tanky, tri-trans nearly all Spirit-side classes and trans everything else.
    Didi
  • -I like the song "Dreams" by Van Halen (Van Hagar). There. I said it.
    Atarah
  • CorynCoryn Spokane, Wa
    Fezzix. I like you. You and your beardless face and good taste in musics. Mmhm.
  • ...So, I originally tried breaking this post up into proper tidbits, but it turned out to be a single confession. I was racking my brain for something to put here and it worked a bit too well. Sorry about that.

For those of you that missed my dropping the bomb in the pictures thread, well, here it comes again. I'm a dude. It used to be that I only ever played guy characters. Now it's the other way around. >_>; I'm absolutely rubbish at alting. See, I tend to get emotionally invested in a single character to the point of forgetting how I play any of my other characters. There is always bleed through, some of it rather significant. Case in point, Melantha. I've poured so much of myself into making her an individual that no matter what kind of character I make, I see echoes of her there. Little mannerisms, appearance, the works. Rather than creating a character, it's better to say that I built an archetype. I think that's why the double whammy of losing guild and Goddess did such a number on me. For the longest time, I couldn't move beyond the question of 'Now what?'. My motivation since then has largely centered around repairing that archetype.

On a related note to the above, I am constitutionally incapable of playing a villain, anti- or otherwise. I swear that the shining armor must be welded on. Every attempt I've made has either promptly jumped over to the good guys or left to wither away quietly. I will note, however, that this has always been the case. I can angst with the best of them, but I can't make a baddie badge stick.

I feel like this all says a lot more about me than I can readily appreciate. I just hope that there are some of ya'll that can relate.
    Avatar courtesy of Eleanor. Thank you!
    ~~

~~
    Always interested in knowing how I'm doing!
    MazarineSaturnineEmelle
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    Lait said:

Arbre said:

pay-to-win.

Anyway, I have no problem with people that use other people's systems, because people who use other people's systems are, 90% of the time, going to be worse PKers than people who make their own systems. The only times I have ever lost fights against people who haven't coded themselves are the couple of Carnifex that use @Toz's system, and @Yeras because I suck vs monks/zealots in general.

So yeah. Dudes that use someone else's system? No big deal. Code something better than them and win, because at the end of the day they just don't know how to use their system/class as well as you do (and if they do, get better!)
    I take a slight amount of umbrage (but only a little!) with regards to the above. I was one of the top tier combatants back when offenses were mostly manual. Curing still needed to be all system based. But it wasn't until Ravek (blast from the past) actually gave me his Zmud curing system that I went from being a nobody to essentially beating one of the best PKers of the time in Sryaen. Literally within 10 minutes.

Thing is, in my time of manualling my offense, I'd had to learn the ins and outs of my class (which was old school monk). This then meant, with the backup to support me, I could actually use that knowledge. But it was more than just the knowledge of my own class. It was the knowledge of everyone elses as well.

I now rely heavily on old Oasis (which me and @Rashar are still gimping around on. Though he has an infinitely better grasp of it than I do) and @Serrice's aff-tracker. Essentially nothing in my system (other than a few tweaks to affs, a few added triggers and some utility stuff) has been coded by me. I'm not ashamed to admit it! I don't have the time between working a full time job in Finance and my band. When I do log in, I do just want to be able to enjoy the game and not spend the little time I have coding stuff (though I'd love to learn). Regardless of that I've still managed to beat or nearly beat (damn you @Varel) some of the top tier combatants, like yourself or @Akara.

My own opinion is that yes, the healing and offense is important, but no-where near as important as your situational awareness and general combat knowledge needs to be. I think that that is the key difference between a mid-tier combatant and a top combatant. Knowing when to gtfo. Knowing other peoples classes just as well as they do and what they're trying to build up to. Keeping an eye on your own affs or the momentum of the fight. Knowing what options you have available to you in sticky situations.

Are all of these things codeable? Maybe! What's let me down in the fights that I've lost recently, particularly to Indorani such as @Mazarine, is because a lot of little things have changed in a way that have a big impact on a fight overall. Some of it will need to be added into the curing, but most of it is being able to read what's going on in the fight so I can be aware of what I need to do.
    Xenia
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    Draiman said:

Indorani is the only class capable of performing a fully inescapable true lock that doesn't require upkeep (paralysis, disrupt, confusion, impatience, superstition, asthma, slickness, anorexia).

If you lock someone as a mage then o.O

Key word there is one that you don't have to maintain. But, Syssin are capable of this as well. They, unfortunately, would have to maintain it due to lack of superstition. I do remember the time that I hardlocked the self proclaimed best PKer in Aetolia as a Shaman and I still have the log of it. It was glorious.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • - I created Synne to be a chipper, cheerful, super friendly little twit, but it was too hard to pull off playing someone who is my polar opposite for long.

- Synne got to Tekal by killing a planthopper.

- The draw to Aetolia was someone from another MUD (who, I have recently discovered, was @trager) told me it was rp heavy. And while I consider myself a pretty decent writer, I panic about getting the emotes right and so rping is incredibly stressful. I'm super envious of people who rp well.

- I am so thankful for the firstaid system as I don't know how to code and wouldn't have lasted long without it.

- I really wish I knew how to code.
  • - Through hard work and description-writing for people, I've invested less money than I might think into Xan here, and still hit the minimum retirement count (he's not gotten the benefit of retirement credits)

-a result of the above fact of reaching that minimum is that when I eventually get bored with him and toss him aside like I have a terrible habit of doing, I will not hesitate to simply retire him and recoup those credits.

- I have no idea when this will happen, but I know it won't be any time soon, with RP being a main driving force for me staying since pvp is still something I am learning, and doesn't feel like an anchoring force as a result. (RP AT ME AND I STAY FOR LONGER, HINT HINT)

- I likely will head over to Achaea when I get bored of Xandren. Either that, or I'll go back to the Shadow side. Maybe grab a mage-type in spinesreach, or who knows, might go back to the carnifex so I can RP some more with @Xenia, cause it was always fun RPing with her when Moi was around.

- I don't bother concealing who my alts were in the past, but I do have a nasty habit of leaving characters to rot and almost never returning to them. There has been ONE special exception to this rule, and it was because it was a rebirthing of the character from someone focused on control and perfection, to going into a nusto maddened rage berserker. And he used a giant mace with a circular saw riveted into the body in a way that it was left to spin freely. He gleefully screamed at people and wailed on them. and was an acceptably decent combatant. His original control-freak perfectionist self also was a noteable combatant. At least comparable to @lait's current position in the combat tiers. (that's pretty high for MKO. He wasn't a titan, but people were like, "Oi, that SM guy's around. let's NOT do pvp right now", and it was an interesting feeling. I did this without arties too. just self-forged weapons.)

-The above character was based off of two individual sources. Both of these sources I made my own when using them.

- Xandren here uses Deku Scrubs as source material for his Yeleni race. As a result. He's literally the weight of a similar-sized child, and thus is easily able to be picked up and thrown around. He's a small bush. What do you expect.

- I am still going to plug for my Self-Affirmation thread over here: http://forums.aetolia.com/discussion/2133/xandren

- I want you lot to RP with me dangnabbit. Drama RP is.. discouraged, but not expressly forbidden. It just will exhaust me quickly is all.
    The rushing sound of waves breaking upon a shore fills your mind as Slyphe imparts to you, "Meltas is a bit..special sometimes..."
    HavenNolaAkaryuterra
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Xandren said:
    - Through hard work and description-writing for people, I've invested less money than I might think into Xan here, and still hit the minimum retirement count (he's not gotten the benefit of retirement credits) -a result of the above fact of reaching that minimum is that when I eventually get bored with him and toss him aside like I have a terrible habit of doing, I will not hesitate to simply retire him and recoup those credits. - I have no idea when this will happen, but I know it won't be any time soon, with RP being a main driving force for me staying since pvp is still something I am learning, and doesn't feel like an anchoring force as a result. (RP AT ME AND I STAY FOR LONGER, HINT HINT) - I likely will head over to Achaea when I get bored of Xandren. Either that, or I'll go back to the Shadow side. Maybe grab a mage-type in spinesreach, or who knows, might go back to the carnifex so I can RP some more with @Xenia, cause it was always fun RPing with her when Moi was around. - I don't bother concealing who my alts were in the past, but I do have a nasty habit of leaving characters to rot and almost never returning to them. There has been ONE special exception to this rule, and it was because it was a rebirthing of the character from someone focused on control and perfection, to going into a nusto maddened rage berserker. And he used a giant mace with a circular saw riveted into the body in a way that it was left to spin freely. He gleefully screamed at people and wailed on them. and was an acceptably decent combatant. His original control-freak perfectionist self also was a noteable combatant. At least comparable to @lait's current position in the combat tiers. (that's pretty high for MKO. He wasn't a titan, but people were like, "Oi, that SM guy's around. let's NOT do pvp right now", and it was an interesting feeling. I did this without arties too. just self-forged weapons.) -The above character was based off of two individual sources. Both of these sources I made my own when using them. - Xandren here uses Deku Scrubs as source material for his Yeleni race. As a result. He's literally the weight of a similar-sized child, and thus is easily able to be picked up and thrown around. He's a small bush. What do you expect. - I am still going to plug for my Self-Affirmation thread over here: http://forums.aetolia.com/discussion/2133/xandren - I want you lot to RP with me dangnabbit. Drama RP is.. discouraged, but not expressly forbidden. It just will exhaust me quickly is all.
    I also recommend branching out and contacting people as well. Simply waiting can only get you so far. There are TONS of stories out there. @Emelle, @Kerryn, @Arbre, @Rashar, @Atrapoema, @Missari, @Trager, @Benedicto, @Nola, @Urial, @Phoenecia, @Ezalor etc are all great RPers and some of which dabble in PK. They're even down to shoot the unicorn if you know how to approach the character right. I dunno if they all still play but yeah, definitely don't sit arpund and wait for RP to come to you.

¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    DidiBenedictoEmelleXandrenNola
  • I once went full-immersion in Lusternia, resulting in me not understanding when in some family-RP, they were saying the player behind the character quit playing for health reasons when they said, "This person's soul was sick.". My character went straight into weird places like "sickness of the soul often springs from sources such as guilt, but I am not sure if guilt was the real source. Can you think of anything this person would be guilty for?" and they had to repeatedly say, "No, she no longer wakes because her SOUL was SICK." and it only clicked within the last few months what that actually meant..when this interaction happened at least 4 or 5 years ago..
    The rushing sound of waves breaking upon a shore fills your mind as Slyphe imparts to you, "Meltas is a bit..special sometimes..."
    Irae
  • CorynCoryn Spokane, Wa
    Good job.

-I'm stressed when I play Coryn
    --This is making me burn out

-I'm totally unsure where to take Coryn from where he is now. Losing any sort of creativity when it comes to playing him.
  • Just do whatever you think would be fun OOCly and come up with the justification later.
    XeniaIrae