Confession Thread 2.0

Comments

• edited July 2016
    - Rashar was originally created as a Sciomancer. I wanted to be an evil mage. That lasted about 2 days of not seeing anyone in the guild, I think. Ascendril happened.

- I came here to PK, not knowing how ridiculous it was to get started at it. I gave up on that when I discovered this awesome thing called RP. It took me a good year to start giving half a shit about being decent at PK (though I picked a lot of fights and got my ass handed to me all over the place).

- If I had never bought a system I would probably never have started learning how to code and fight. I eventually tinkered with what I had so much that things started to click. I'm still fairly noob and get a lot of help from @serrice, and @trager, but I do find myself helping other more than getting help so I must be making progress.

- Rashar wore clothes for a while. Very early on as a young Ascendril he became a wolf. I used to take his clothes off for shifting and forget to put them back on. I did it so often people thought it was intentional, so I pretended it was. Then I decided instead of a plainly dressed young mage, he'd be a half-dressed vagabond.

- I absolutely love God RP. It has always been one of my favorite things about fantasy themed games and books, and especially here. I think it can be so important for character progression, and is really overlooked a lot of times for how game-changing it can be for new players and old.

- I think this is a result of my on-the-fence atheism irl. I've always said I would be the best worshipper in the world if only I could see something to make be believe. I -want- there to be Gods.

- I sort of have to suspend Rashar's RP a bit when it comes to leadership positions. For the most part he doesn't give a shit (and neither do I) about titles or status. What -I- care about is being in a position to best influence the game and do cool things for as many people as I can. That means, unfortunately, coming up with reasons for Rashar to put aside his desire to just do him and handle business.

- I find myself far less interested in drama than I used to be. I'm like ok, afk to play with my kids or code this bullshit system I'm trying to make.

- For me, relationship RP has definitely turned into a tool for character progression more so than something to look for in and of itself. I just don't have the time or interest to sit in a quiet haven and spend days and days focused on one person. As much fun as it was when I did it.

- This is mostly why Rash just bangs hookers and mosty ignores PC's with a love interest nowadays.

- ETA I would totally play more as Lycan if it weren't a pain in the ass. I never intended for that to not be a part of his character, but now I just tilt his head a lot and growl. He does still start to shift when he gets really angry.
    EmelleSolariaTeani
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    edited July 2016
    oh man I 100% get the part about like RP vs LEADERMODE, I don't know, I'm sure at least SOME of you have seen me at my most vague and mystical and portentous. So many times where it's just like SERIOUS LEADER MODE ENGAGED. LOCK STERN FOILS IN IMPERIOUS POSITION.

Like I play Aishia with a heavy dose of comedy sometimes too and there's so many times that's just not appropriate haha.
    Rashar
  • ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    Trager said:

Hrm!
    - I both hate and appreciate the admin-enforced guidance in regards to guild/house advancement. While it can and has been taken way beyond anything reasonable, I hate that 5-6 day old fully embraced/Knighted newbies walk around.

For guilds, there is absolutely nothing requiring that a guild consider a GR3 member a "full" member - so if the guild is making it that easy to get whatever GR rank they consider a "full" member (gr5 is the most common I see) that's not the administration's fault, their rules really only pertain up to GR3 - making sure noobies can get class without getting turned off for other players making it too hard for them to have fun.
    MissariHaven
  • SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    -When I came back from being gone for 1.5+ years, I had absolutely no interest in getting into RP again. Maybe minor things here or there, but nothing major.
    --This doesn't mean I didn't look towards taking leadership roles back. Those can be done, usually, with minimal RP.
    ---However, because of other people in the game, I have gradually gotten an interest back into RP and am having fun with it again.

Emelle
  • Faerah said:

-I made Faerah as an escape from Achaea, because @Toz told me it was better.
    --He made an alt to play with me.
    ---He ditched that alt and left me alone to my own devices. (Jerk).

Yeah you're welcome, Syssin .

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• MarienaMariena By a lake.
    @Trager - My confession is I think I've said your name wrong for forever.. Does it rhyme with rager?

• JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    I say it as tray, and gurrr as in swinger baby yaaah
    MarienaArbreBuford
  • MarienaMariena By a lake.
    That's how I have! @Jensen

• - I always get really excited when I see @Haven posted something because it gives me a tiny glimmer of hope that means he's coming to play again.
    --- I am invariably disappointed.

SolariaArbreEmelleHaven
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    I used to take it really personally when people sidehopped from Duiran to BL/Spinesreach when I was a young player/druid. This was mostly because 1. Playing this game was one of the first few times I've really ever interacted with other human beings outside the ones living in my house. 2. I didn't have any concept of what roleplaying was at the time, as I was an incredibly sheltered child, so everyone was their character. It really hit me hard when my mentors/guild leaders were the ones doing the side hopping. I even recall laying in bed crying one night because I felt like all of my friends were leaving me.

If anything, Aetolia has taught me how to accept your friends being on the other team and having friendly fights with one another.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    IraeZailaEmelleSolariaSaturnineXenia
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    Daskalos wasn't my first character.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    - I'm Mecatl. If you remember Mecatl, you probably remember that I'm her, so it's not much of a confession.
    - I'm super embarrassed about the entire Mecatl incident. I did a lot of things I regret doing, even though not everything was my fault, a good portion of it was - including listening to what other people were telling me to do instead of making my own decisions.

- I used to PK. I was decent at it!
    - Back then you could use zMUD and manual and lycan WORKED and a thousand other variables that I could go on and on about for an eternity.
    - I miss caring about PK like I used to, but today's damn near fully automated crap makes me zone out. I don't like it at all.

- I mudsex. This isn't a big deal.
    - I used to do really weird creepy shit. Like.. how did I not end up on mudprawns? Thank unicornsing god.

- I'm actually really shy about coming up to people about RP.
    - Especially if they're established characters.
    - Even if they're younger characters / newer players than I am.
    - I do better at approaching novices, so I just try to grab them immediately so maybe by the time they become established I'll be used to them and not nervous.

- I quit playing for about 6 months to play Lusternia.
    - I needed the break like whoa.
    - I came back because I logged in and like three people RP'd with me within like four hours (they wouldn't let me log offline, they just kept bombarding me).

- I hate when people use excessive ellipses when writing. I also feel like I use them too much. I started compensating by only using two periods instead of three, as if this gives me a free pass out.

- I married an Aetolian. Isn't that embarrassing? (kidding)
    - I only put that here because very few people are left that still remember him.
    - I think it was Kiralla that named him Chinchilla ages ago, so on the Ankyrean Archives, my page said "Chinchilla F---er". I got a LOT of strange comments about it from people who didn't know about my husband.

- Now that Auresae is dead, Arbre is boring looking.
    - This is inordinately pleasing to me.
    - I feel like she shouldn't be super-awesome-unique because she -doesn't- have any godessence in her or any RP reason for it. She's not got any special reason to look cool, so why should she look cool?
    - She's still a catgirl though because I'm one of -those- people.

MoxieZailaSaturnine
  • - I used to be in the Pools, so none of the above MUDsex confessions surprise me at all!
  • LaitLait Ohio
    edited July 2016
    Arbre said:

today's damn near fully automated crap makes me zone out. I don't like it at all.

Are you kidding me? There's nothing cooler than being able to code your entire offense into a single button. It takes actual technical skill to accomplish it without screwing it up, and when it performs flawlessly there's just that great sense of satisfaction that you -made something- and it -works-.

To me, it's a lot less stressful and more efficient than flailing at your keyboard desperately mashing twenty different arbitrary aliases and hoping you don't forget something and make a mistake and end up dying.
    Art by @Phoenecia! Full image available here!
  • edited July 2016
    I prefer manual combat and the skill required to actually know your offense to a point that you can perform the keyboard dance to pull it off, but that's just me. I don't exactly have the coding chops or motivation to do full automation, and I just feel far too proud to ask someone to code it for me.
    TeaniBenedictoIllikaalTenshyoHaven
  • DraimanDraiman Dr. Drai
    It's been said before and I won't do what Lim said justice or find the link, but full automation only occurs when there is a vast difference in two peoples PK level.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

FezzixTenshyo
  • LaitLait Ohio
    edited July 2016
    Atrapoema said:

I prefer manual combat and the skill required to actually know your offense to a point that you can perform the keyboard dance to pull it off, but that's just me. I don't exactly have the coding chops or motivation to do full automation, and I just feel far too proud to ask someone to code it for me.

Well, it's two different kinds of skill. Automation takes technical programming skill, manualing takes reflexive skill/muscle memory/reaction time. I have plenty of the former but almost none of the latter; I feel much more confident being able to create a script that lets me do all of the critical thinking without any of the twitch-based gameplay.
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Lait said:

Arbre said:

today's damn near fully automated crap makes me zone out. I don't like it at all.

Are you kidding me? There's nothing cooler than being able to code your entire offense into a single button. It takes actual technical skill to accomplish it without screwing it up, and when it performs flawlessly there's just that great sense of satisfaction that you -made something- and it -works-.

To me, it's a lot less stressful and more efficient than flailing at your keyboard desperately mashing twenty different arbitrary aliases and hoping you don't forget something and make a mistake and end up dying.
    It bothers me LESS when people code their OWN systems and then kill people with them. But then someone goes and buys it and it becomes stereotypical Aetolian pay-to-win. You have no talent in combat skill or coding skill, you just bought (or were given) someone else's system and now you're going around killing people with it - that's not combat, that's bullshit, and it's why I have almost zero interest in picking PK back up.
    DraimanAtrapoemaZailaTeaniTenshyo
  • CorynCoryn Spokane, Wa
    My PK prowess comes from being able to manual. In Achaea and in Imperian(to a lesser extent) I manual'd pretty much everything up until Vadi's system came out. Then I just manual'd my offense. I got reaaaaally good with Occultist(lol, easy class) and later on Serpent and Blademaster. My first run through Aetolia was pure RP, I never bothered with PvP. This time around, though, I wanted to get back into it and I discover that my manualling won't cut it -at all-. :( RIP Keyboard dance.

I guess my ability to do that comes from WoW and other rather reflexive games(CS). My coding ability is moderate, but nothing to the point of being able to sufficiently code my own system without cannibalising existing ones.

Anyway, here's my confession:

-If there is a small gathering of people in a public area, I will run to it and find an excuse to RP at them
    --This has gotten me in trouble once or twice. On alts.

-It gets very exhausting swaping from the now -four- characters I play. One is an Ambassador and Guild secretary. Another is damn close to being a guild secretary. The last two are just difficult because their personalities require a lot of effort.

-I'm the kind of person that will try to be in all places at once while trying to please as many people as I can. This adds to the difficulty to the previous issue.
    Atrapoema
  • Coryn said:

I guess my ability to do that comes from WoW...

Tank or healer? If you say Hunter, we can't be friends!

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I remember when they had to add like raid requirements for hunters (like that thing where they had to weaken a boss at some stage of an fight) because people would literally never bring hunters along because it was just better to have a warrior or a rogue or something else instead, and didn't want hunters there rolling for the same weapons and armor.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Sometimes I wonder if that gold @Saturnine claimed to bury is still out there somewhere, Valingar and I look for it sometimes. But we just dig a lot.
  • LaitLait Ohio
    edited July 2016
    Arbre said:

pay-to-win.

Literally everyone pays to win in this game, except for maybe one or two theoretical people who have never bought a credit in their life and instead grind quests twenty-four-seven for their credits.

Anyway, I have no problem with people that use other people's systems, because people who use other people's systems are, 90% of the time, going to be worse PKers than people who make their own systems. The only times I have ever lost fights against people who haven't coded themselves are the couple of Carnifex that use @Toz's system, and @Yeras because I suck vs monks/zealots in general.

So yeah. Dudes that use someone else's system? No big deal. Code something better than them and win, because at the end of the day they just don't know how to use their system/class as well as you do (and if they do, get better!)

Now, I'm a little guilty of using someone else's code myself. @Akara wrote my affliction tracker. But what's important is that I read the code, understood it at a basic level, and used it as a basis to build my mage system, and I can say with confidence that I'm one of the top mage fighters in the game (though I'm sure @Valingar or Toz have me beat.)
  • Lait said:

I can say with confidence that I'm one of the top few and rare mage fighters in the game

Fixed it for you!
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

TragerXeniaDraimanTenshyo
  • edited July 2016
    Lait said:

Anyway, I have no problem with people that use other people's systems, because people who use other people's systems are, 90% of the time, going to be worse PKers than people who make their own systems. The only times I have ever lost fights against people who haven't coded themselves are the couple of Carnifex that use @Toz's system, and @Yeras because I suck vs monks/zealots in general.

So yeah. Dudes that use someone else's system? No big deal. Code something better than them and win, because at the end of the day they just don't know how to use their system/class as well as you do (and if they do, get better!)

Confession- the system I'm building now is the furthest I've ever gotten, largely because firstaid is doing a lot of the heavy defense lifting, and that was always the most tedious aspect of it for me.

I'm making a full-automatic, one-button offense, because my reflexes and my ability to keep track of things suck, and the more automation the better. However, I've been doing it all from scratch - I don't trust it if I don't know how it works, and I like to know where to go to fix something. It also feels - oddly - more natural, from an RP perspective. You don't go from 0 - 100 overnight. I learn things from fights, just as my character does, and every time I get a little better.
  • MazarineMazarine the best maze ever
    edited July 2016
    - I've been playing for a little over six years now and it still doesn't feel like it's been that long. This can likely be explained because I often take a break for a month or two and then come back and play for a few months.

- I have 8 permanent characters, of which 3 are now retired. I have 2 other non perma characters that I spent a good deal of time on but never bought credits or lessons. Of those, 5 are endgame - 2 Azudim, 2 Idreth and 1 Yeleni. My first endgame character came before Xaanhal came out, so I remember the pain of doing areas like Fengard again and again to get there.

- I don't exactly _try_ to start new characters, sometimes I just want a change and feel like exploring a different part of the game and can't justify moving my current most played.

- I love roleplay. I don't care who you are, whether you're a newbie or the most established person in this game with the toughest shell to crack. I will come and RP at you. Different sides, enemies of guild/city, people my characters have nothing in common with..I don't really mind. I'll still come at you at least once for that sweet, sweet RP.

- I used to be really scared to go up to people. I would just stand around and let people come to me, but after a while people stop being the first ones to make a move and I realized I had to put myself out there.

- Now, I'll walk up to anyone, even if I have to make up a reason. It really doesn't matter if you're known or not, I will likely find at least some way for one of my characters to cross paths with you.

- I love the esteem system. I think it's something that is underutilized and I try to give it out pretty often, especially after the first RP interaction. It can range from a simple 'thanks for the RP' to a more explained 'I really enjoyed XYZ portion and such and such dynamic' or whatever. It's great. And it feels unicornsing amazing to receive esteem, too!

- I watch the time it takes me to emote. I don't have OCD or anything similar, I just hold myself to a certain standard. If it takes me longer than 3-5 minutes, I try to think of why I was having trouble coming up with what my character would do. This goes completely down the drain in rooms with more than 3 people, as I usually go pretty quiet in those scenarios. Trying to work on not doing that!

- In the same vein, I don't care how long it takes for someone else to emote. I will gladly sit there and take emotes that come after 15 minutes, as long as I know the person is enjoying the RP and having fun.

- I've made a few bad decisions while playing Aetolia - orgtheft while being a city leader, choosing a really bad way to go about a certain RP arc, the sort. I don't let it bother me very much, after it's been settled and moved past.

- Before Mazarine, the most I did in combat was sniping with Syssin, or doing really simple Lycan stuff, mostly because I didn't want to devote the time to it.

- When people start talking about Mazarine as a combatant I sort of have to take a step back sometimes, because I've been playing for so long and have never done combat. It's..just weird to think about, I don't know if anyone can relate.

- Although I didn't build the affliction tracker I use, I did write the Indorani side, though I did hack some already made functions or repurpose them with some tweaks. It's a pretty great feeling to go from being somewhat useless in combat -> using someone else's offense entirely -> tweaking that offense to my liking -> outright making my own for an entirely different class and having some success with it.

- Echoing Rashar's point above, I absolutely love GodRP even if I'm getting the unicorns kicked out of me by one or something.
    EmellePilarVash
  • LaitLait Ohio
    edited July 2016
    Mazarine said:

- I watch the time it takes me to emote. I don't have OCD or anything similar, I just hold myself to a certain standard. If it takes me longer than 3-5 minutes, I try to think of why I was having trouble coming up with what my character would do. This goes completely down the drain in rooms with more than 3 people, as I usually go pretty quiet in those scenarios. Trying to work on not doing that!

In one-on-one RP sessions it usually takes me about 5-10 minutes to write out an emote, usually 100-200 words in length. I take my time, yeah, but it's worth it to not rush good roleplay.
    Mazarine said:

- Although I didn't build the affliction tracker I use, I did write the Indorani side, though I did hack some already made functions or repurpose them with some tweaks. It's a pretty great feeling to go from being somewhat useless in combat -> using someone else's offense entirely -> tweaking that offense to my liking -> outright making my own for an entirely different class and having some success with it.

This is exactly how I felt when I made my Mage system, working off Akara's affliction tracker. She taught me how to fight as a mage, but I'm looking forward to building a Sentinel system for my alt Mali entirely on my own without any help!
  • MazarineMazarine the best maze ever
    Lait said:

In one-on-one RP sessions it usually takes me about 5-10 minutes to write out an emote, usually 100-200 words in length. I take my time, yeah, but it's worth it to not rush good roleplay.

I don't think there's anything wrong with people taking their time, at all!

I just know what I'm capable of and there are certainly times in more complex or tense situations where I'll give myself a bit extra time. Usually, though, I like to keep to my times. I don't really know how I got started doing this, it just sort of..happened and I've stuck with it. Like I said above though, I'll gladly wait for others to be happy/satisfied with their emotes! I love RP too much to really complain about getting RP, slow or not.
  • CorynCoryn Spokane, Wa
    Atrapoema said:

Coryn said:

I guess my ability to do that comes from WoW...

Tank or healer? If you say Hunter, we can't be friends!

Tank. I DPS'd as either Rogue, or Enh Shaman. I PK'd as Rogue and Shaman. :D
    Atrapoema
  • Aishia said:

Sometimes I wonder if that gold @Saturnine claimed to bury is still out there somewhere, Valingar and I look for it sometimes. But we just dig a lot.

I don't remember this at all, which means I don't remember if it was a scam or not, so 50/50 chance it's out there.